Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

282,514 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Bill Superman
JeffHamilton82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry the Fortune 100
Link
Yell Practice
Wow ! Gig Em Ags
AggieLit
quote:
quote:
If it weren't for writers and thinkers, the Fortune 500 as you know it wouldn't exist

You continue to imply that engineers, doctors, businesspeople, etc are not "thinkers". That we have to have YOU or else we are doomed.
Of course they think and are quite smart, but the term "thinker" is usually used for someone who doesn't work in an applied field. More theoretical/abstract (and usually low paid).
AggieLit
quote:
quote:
Even if Americans are stupid, it takes a clever politician to move the herd in the right direction. Whatever you think of Obama, his ability to speak and think fast lit a fire in people who had been lulled by eight years of Bush's rhetorical clumsiness. The election was over before it began; Sarah Palin sealed the deal. 0

Slowbama was elected because of his skin color and the economy was cratering in fall of 2008 making any Republican unelectable. Most politicans are not clever. They are corrupt and lacking morals.
Clever and "corrupt and lacking morals" are not mutually exclusive. 2008 was not a foregone conclusion until Sarah Palin appeared.
JeffHamilton82
You Gods that keep ragging on Texas A&M and how we are a POS school really should have gone somewhere else. Somewhere that is more worthy of your presence. Somewhere where you are not surrounded by a bunch of redneck "hayseeds". Where your superior thoughts can be eloquently penned as you converse with other Gods.

We mere enginners, doctors and business people are not worthy. But we wish you well as you leave us (hopefully) and present this picture which they say is worth 1,000 words.

AggieLit
quote:
Sorry the Fortune 100
Link
Wow, 3 CEO's, probably all oil-related. I think Richardson Zone's link to the Fortune 500 is probably a better sample size, but I know how much you like USNWR.
AggieLit
quote:
You Gods that keep ragging on Texas A&M and how we are a POS school really should have gone somewhere else. Somewhere that is more worthy of your presence. Somewhere where you are not surrounded by a bunch of redneck "hayseeds". Where your superior thoughts can be eloquently penned as you converse with other Gods.

We mere enginners, doctors and business people are not worthy. But we wish you well as you leave us (hopefully) and present this picture which they say is worth 1,000 words.

Dude, I love A&M. I want us to be better. That means good at other subjects AS WELL AS engineering, medicine, and business.

It's a both/and, not an either/or.
JeffHamilton82
Just realized this thread is on the wrong board. Staff needs to move this thread to the academics board.
cecil77
AG
I'm REALLY glad I was on the road today for all this!

I've stated my bona fides prior, but yes B.S. and M.Eng. in Nuclear Engineering from A&M.

When I was 20 years old I could have written a "pretend major" type comment. Life, experience, and not to mention my own children have taught me just how wrong that statement is.

Clearly technology has, and will continue to improve human life on this planet. But to assert that the guy who invented Air Conditioning is more important to mankind than Shakespeare? That's ludicrous. If for no other reason that air conditioning would have been invented anyway. Now if you want to talk Newton, then you may have a point.

I just don't get that abject snootiness (it's "arrogance", really) of an engineer or scientist denigrating authors, artists and musicians. And of course it's just as bad the other way around

IMO radical Islam and the Middle East is the problem of the next century. Praytell, who is going to get that solved? Engineers or people who have "pretend majors" in "pretend subjects"?

The point is that it takes all of them. And if we are going to be a great University we need to aspire to all of it.
VanZandt92
Cecil is correct
VanZandt92
VanZandt92
quote:
I'm in a profession mentioned above. What keeps me moving forward in my career at this point is the fact I can write and speak reasonably well. There are plenty of colleagues with the same technical skills.
gopgabe
AG
quote:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/attachments/lounge/45705d1358793620-old-west-gun-control-well-bye.jpg

Evidently you must be neither an engineer, a doctor, nor a businessman because your critical thinking skills lack work.

Suppose we hate A&M with a passion. Why on earth would we be focused on improving the quality of undergraduate education FOR ALL and our reputation to the world? Legit makes no sense dude. We're fighting to preserve being the Aggie Family. We're fighting to improve the education for every Aggie.

Bottom line? We want a school. Not a factory.
Psych
AG
All i know is more undergrads = more hot girls.
VanZandt92
not per guy.
MaysGrad09
I wonder how positive an effect joining the PAC 12 rather than the SEC would have been for our university. I downplayed the effect of conference affiliation on academics, but since joining the SEC we've hired a Univ. of Arkansas dean to lead Mays Business School and a Univ. of Arkansas Vice Provost to be VP of Students Affairs and I believe there was another hire from an SEC school. This is just anecdotal, but if we're poaching admins and staff from conference affiliated schools, you would obviously much rather be pulling from UCLA, Cal, Stanford, etc. rather than LSU and Arkansas.

Also, personally, I would rather A&M be affiliated with UCLA, Cal, USC, and Stanford in any way rather than any SEC schools except Vanderbilt.
Richardson Zone
AG
The Pac 12 is top heavy in academic power houses. You have the California schools at the top and then it drops off and more resembles the SEC mediocrity.

Pac 12
4) Stanford
20) UC-Berkeley
23) UCLA
25) USC
48) Washington
88) Colorado
105) Oregon
121) Arizona
129) Utah
129) Arizona State
138) Oregon State
138) Washington State
Avg. 80.7
Median 96.5

SEC
16) Vandy
48) Florida
62) Gegoria
68) A&M
88) Alabama
99) Missouri
103 Auburn
106) Tennessee
113) South Carolina
129) LSU
129) Kentucky
135) Arkansas
149) Ole Miss
156) MS State
Avg. 99.9
Median 104.5

Source: USN&WR
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
Also, personally, I would rather A&M be affiliated with UCLA, Cal, USC, and Stanford in any way rather than any SEC schools except Vanderbilt.

I agree with this though. The Pac 12 was the better long term move for the university, but not the athletic department. Our priorities are out of order.
TexasRebel
AG
I guess it depends on your college.

For engineering and agriculture the SEC is a wonderful fit.
dmart90
AG
I've had the opportunity to work with people who graduated from PAC 12, SEC, Big East, Big 12, and Big 10 schools. And the simple truth is that I've worked with smart and not so smart people who attended schools in a bunch of different places. Not all the UC system graduates I worked with were super smart, for example. How can that be since all those schools are so highly ranked? Weird, huh.

Anyways, I want A&M to be the very best school it can be. Texas A&M is as big as it should be; maybe it should be smaller. If we want to grow the enrollment in the A&M SYSTEM, that's a great idea. Let's invest in those schools and help improve them so they are good alternative to the main campus. People should be trying to transfer into the main campus from one of the system school, not freaking Blinn.

And at the main campus, we should strive to have excellent programs across the board - from Engineering to English to Biology to Journalism to Physics to Classics etc. Anyone who thinks that only Engineering, STEM, or business degrees are useful is a fool.
MaysGrad09
quote:

For engineering and agriculture the SEC is a wonderful fit.
I'm curious why you think so.

Top 10 Engineering Schools:

1) MIT
2) Stanford
3) UC-Berkeley
4) Carnegie Mellon
5) Cal Tech
6) Georgia Tech (Tie)
6) Purdue (Tie)
6) Illinois (Tie)
6) Michigan (Tie)
10) USC (Tie)
10) UT-Austin (Tie)

So three Pac 12 schools are in the top 10 (4 in top 15) and zero are from the SEC.

Most of the top agriculture schools are in the big 10. Also, Texas is an urban state and increasingly so and agriculture's size of the Texas economy is shrinking, so this probably shouldn't get much consideration as tech jobs are growing and ag jobs are slowing.
cecil77
AG
That list should make an Aggie engineer ill.
TexasRebel
AG
Don't get out to West Texas much, huh?

Just because the percentage is dropping, that doesn't mean Ag is slowing, it just means the population is growing and Ag is getting more efficient.

You cannot just broadly combine all aspects of engineering to compare them. I also have a tough time mixing schools with great theoretical programs and great practical programs.

Papers don't put food on the table, machinery does.
MaysGrad09
quote:
Don't get out to West Texas much, huh?

A lot of people don't. It's the only part of the state that's actually losing population. Again, Texas is an urban state and increasingly so with the vast majority of people living within one of the large metro areas - Houston, DFW, Austin/San Antonio.

So to answer my question - Why would the SEC be a better fit over the Pac 12 for students in those two colleges?
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
I've been saying that since 2010. At the end of the day Academics > Athletics. The Pac 12 would have been a better move. And the trips to the west coast would have been awesome.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:

Top 10 Engineering Schools:

1) MIT
2) Stanford
3) UC-Berkeley
4) Carnegie Mellon
5) Cal Tech
6) Georgia Tech (Tie)
6) Purdue (Tie)
6) Illinois (Tie)
6) Michigan (Tie)
10) USC (Tie)
10) UT-Austin (Tie)

Where's A&M??
TexasRebel
AG
#12 if that's the grad school list.
MaysGrad09
12 for how long?

Do any one those top 10 schools have plans to double the size of their engineering schools? I'm gonna guess no.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:

So to answer my question - Why would the SEC be a better fit over the Pac 12 for students in those two colleges?

Competition spurs progress, right? We slid into a strong athletic, weaker engineering conference like a bull into water in July. Our athletics are moving up, and I doubt the rest of the conference is going to let Dwight Look stay at the top forever.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/biological-agricultural-rankings

it seems Purdue is leading us at the moment, but the SEC and BIG 10 each have 2 of the top 10 in Agriculture.

Believe it or not, Texas Agricultural & Mechanical University is a very Agriculturally minded school. There is a hole on west campus that doesn't always accept that; even though they pass the vet school, soil sciences, Price Hobgood and the Power & Machinery building, and many even go drive past the TAMU cotton and sorghum fields to get away...

Texas is not urbanizing... the urbans are migrating this way and they'll starve when they pave it over.
TexasRebel
AG
That's probably a good guess.
cecil77
AG
Agree that Ag is important, but Texas has been urbanizing for 50 years.
TexasRebel
AG
Urbanizing... sprawling to abandon the inner city and complaining that milk is expensive...

Tomato...tomato
TXAggie2011
AG
One of the great symbolic things TAMU has done over the years was drop "gricultural" and "echanical" from it's name.

While agriculture is a very important part of the university and we should continue to try to build a robust, top knotch Ag program, it is just one part.

We're no longer Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College nor Texas Agricultural and Mechanical University. And that's a good thing.
TexasRebel
AG
Sure, but is there any college or department at TAMU that does not work with COALS?
SlackerAg
AG
quote:
62) Gegoria

Gregorian chants at Bulldog football games?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.