Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

282,516 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Bill Superman
2004FIGHTINTXAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks Sharp.
TAMU bball fan
Young says they're "pushing pause" on enrollment growth after Matthew Watkins wrote this.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12/01/a-conversation-with-michael-young-video/
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

At A&M in 2015, a student would have had to score higher than a 25 on the ACT to rank in the top 75 percent of incoming freshmen. That's slightly up from 2010.
Talk about cherry picking a favorable stat.

SAT scores, which 60-70% of the student body takes, are down across the board from 2010.

Other ACT statistics are stagnant. But yes, the ACT composite for the 25th percentile went from 24 to 25.

Interestingly enough, for a school trying to ramp up STEM enrollment, the ACT math scores are stagnant or down.

2010-11 entering class data
2015-16 entering class data
Krazykat
AG
MaysGrad09 said:

Quote:

Quote:

UT is capping at 50K and trying to reduce back to 45K.
My kids are going to Texas.

Mine too. **** Sharp and the regents for turning A&M into a diploma mill.
Not necessarilly a diploma mill, but they are letting kids in that do not have the skills to make it at the university level. They are happy to take their money until they quit or flunk out. I have friends that have kids at A&M now that would not have been admitted when I attended.
Yell Practice
Way too many students, IMO.
Texas A & M
Well on our way. Our peers will include Arizona State and other diploma mills. Shame.

Quote:

Texas A&M University's fall enrollment is 71,109 a 1,644 student, or 2.4%, increase from last year's total of 69,465 students.

According to the university, the enrollment numbers are due in part to planned growth in areas including a 20% increase in transfer students, which saw a record number of 3,458 people.

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-university-enrollment-grows-despite-pandemic/article_d6f335fa-f9ba-11ea-9e8a-9f1692f2cf75.html
oldfart79
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

More students is a bad thing??? Da fuq???
Growing the student body faster than we can

a) Build the infrastructure, hire high caliber professors, etc... means a weakened environment and education for students.

b) Attract that many additional students of quality equal or higher quality than what we have means we have to accept students of lower quality.

If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, then maybe I'm OK with this. If not, I have a big problem with it.

(In actuality, I wish we had higher standards than what we currently have.)
just a note to you sir, everybody that wants to be a aggie should have a chance to be one, as long as he can pass in the class room and pay for it. easy to get in to am but hard to finish. if your the type that has problem with someone getting in to a school then head to rice or to some ivy collage. you elitist snob
oldfart79
oldfart79
you had a chance you could have gone to texas
oldfart79
wangus12
AG
What's crazy is I know some really good kids with good grades and extra-curriculars that didn't get in. Who the hell are they letting in at this point
rootube
AG
Are we seriously going to re-hash the diploma mill argument now? I suggest we put a pin in this until the offseason.
Eike Mlko
oldfart79 said:

you had a chance you could have gone to texas

Lol, no way. Libetard campus
p-wonk01
AG
wangus12 said:

What's crazy is I know some really good kids with good grades and extra-curriculars that didn't get in. Who the hell are they letting in at this point

I'd like to ask something about these kids, but it would need to be on the politics board so I'll refrain.
FancyKetchup14
AG
oldfart79 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

a) Build the infrastructure, hire high caliber professors, etc... means a weakened environment and education for students.

b) Attract that many additional students of quality equal or higher quality than what we have means we have to accept students of lower quality.

If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, then maybe I'm OK with this. If not, I have a big problem with it.

just a note to you sir, everybody that wants to be an aggie should have a chance to be one, as long as he can pass in the class room and pay for it. easy to get in to am but hard to finish. if you're the type that has problem with someone getting in to a school then head to rice or to some ivy college. you elitist snob
FIFY

Oh, and here's a collage of Ivy League schools

500,000ags
AG
University, Texas Ave, and George Bush must be a nightmare these days.
Texas A & M
wangus12 said:

Transfer students.
SpiderM85
AG
Not a fan,
rootube
AG
Can we put this post back in May where offseason posts belong? We have pressing college football playoff issues at the moment.
winorgetadog
AG
oldfart79 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

just a note to you sir, everybody that wants to be a aggie should have a chance to be one, as long as he can pass in the class room and pay for it. easy to get in to am but hard to finish. if your the type that has problem with someone getting in to a school then head to rice or to some ivy collage. you elitist snob

Wrong. First of all, it's a university. An academic center, and a place where I take pride in graduating with my engineering degree from. He's right in saying all this forced growth waters down the value of a degree. It's OK and not 'elitist' to want to uphold our academic reputation. Did you graduate from A&M? Your anti-intellectual bs is unnecessary and odd to me. This shouldn't be an argument.

Also your grammar sucks.
ABB02
AG
winorgetadog said:

oldfart79 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Wrong. First of all, it's a university. An academic center, and a place where I take pride in graduating with my engineering degree from. He's right in saying all this forced growth waters down the value of a degree. It's OK and not 'elitist' to want to uphold our academic reputation. Did you graduate from A&M? Your anti-intellectual bs is unnecessary and odd to me. This shouldn't be an argument.

Also your grammar sucks.

Before you turn into the grammar police you might want to ensure that you aren't ending your sentences with prepositions.
TXAggie2011
AG
ABB02 said:

winorgetadog said:

oldfart79 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Also your grammar sucks.

Before you turn into the grammar police you might want to ensure that you aren't ending your sentences with prepositions.
Pot meet kettle.
Slamn Sharpe
MaysGrad09 said:

Quote:

Quote:

UT is capping at 50K and trying to reduce back to 45K.
My kids are going to Texas.

Mine too. **** Sharp and the regents for turning A&M into a diploma mill.

Tell that to the Aggies or people with AgTags that are being turned away. These are people that once attended A&M.
TAMU bball fan
John Sharp keeping the flood gates open.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/texas-a-m-university-enrollment-18506273.php
OBJTEX
Embarrassing.
standfast
Football related question. Do they cap the number of sport passes for students? Surely with 100k+ capacity at some point they will have to cap the student section thus leaving kids that WANT to go to games unable. Does anyone know how they handle things like this? Seniority? Students only getting a certain number of homes passes a year? TIA
45-70Ag
AG
Kyle field expansion to 125,000 will be announced by sharp.
Kozmozag
It's much easier to get in now, write a bleeding heart essay, and proclaim your activism and you are in. They may ask you to go to blinn, but anyone can get in a&m. Sharp is exactly who we think he is. He is the aggie joke.
45-70Ag
AG
Kozmozag said:

It's much easier to get in now, write a bleeding heart essay, and proclaim your activism and you are in. They may ask you to go to blinn, but anyone can get in a&m. Sharp is exactly who we think he is. He is the aggie joke.

Ha ha. I said this last week and sharps minions assured me only the best and brightest are ever admitted and unless you're an A student you know not to apply.

Having said that, I know getting into Mays and engineering is not easy.
sonnysixkiller
AG
F*$% john sharp! He has the makeup of someone who graduated from t.u.
monarch
S
X
Peace for Ukraine!
greg.w.h
AG
standfast said:

Football related question. Do they cap the number of sport passes for students? Surely with 100k+ capacity at some point they will have to cap the student section thus leaving kids that WANT to go to games unable. Does anyone know how they handle things like this? Seniority? Students only getting a certain number of homes passes a year? TIA
Yes. Think it was 33k or so this year.
Sparkie
AG
oldfart79 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

When I attended A&M, the ME department was rated in the top five due to the quality of the education. Stuffing classes with mediocre students has resulted in mediocre engineers. It's attitudes like yourself that devalue the degree. Mediocre students belong at tech and not A&M.
StonewallAggieDEFENSE
You can solve the students suck problem by getting rid of the suck programs. Keep the Stem and business and get rid of the rest of the swill. Lazy & stupid kids won't last.
Sbisa Chef
TAMU bball fan said:

Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring. Enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.

They're more than doubling the size of the engineering school - from 11,000 students in 2015 to 25,000 students in 2025, along with growth in the other colleges.

Here's the latest:

http://tribtalk.org/2015/06/25/a-new-pathway-for-engineering-students-in-texas/

Following the India model. Everyone graduates with the same degree, they all call themselves engineers, and stand around and watch the white man solve the problem while collecting 6-figure salaries.
Farmersfight87
Everyone gets in now! Don't even need a decent GPA anymore.
Pet Sounds
AG
Somebody is salty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.