Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

281,482 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Bill Superman
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
More students is a bad thing??? Da fuq???
Growing the student body faster than we can

a) Build the infrastructure, hire high caliber professors, etc... means a weakened environment and education for students.

b) Attract that many additional students of quality equal or higher quality than what we have means we have to accept students of lower quality.

If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, then maybe I'm OK with this. If not, I have a big problem with it.

(In actuality, I wish we had higher standards than what we currently have.)
TAMU bball fan
Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring. Enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.

They're more than doubling the size of the engineering school - from 11,000 students in 2015 to 25,000 students in 2025, along with growth in the other colleges.

Here's the latest:

http://tribtalk.org/2015/06/25/a-new-pathway-for-engineering-students-in-texas/
JeffHamilton82
Are the kids being admitted now unqualified?

Are we turning away high quality kids?
firethewagonup
um, ok
Gigem Aggies
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
why is that bad?
carpe vinum
AG
Doubling admission and still half of us old farts would not be admitted today.
Maroonblood32
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
Are the kids being admitted now unqualified?
Some, top 10% rule guarantees some people will get in that wouldn't in a competitive application system.
Are we turning away high quality kids?
Yes. So are tu and every Ivy League school. Apparently still something to be said for restricting enrollment numbers.
Sid Farkas
AG
Fighting entrenched interests in the public education biz will be the hard part in getting A&M to that desireable level...meanwhile in the real world we innovate and embrace progress - lifting an ever-growing population higher and higher.
TAMU bball fan
UT is capping at 50K and trying to reduce back to 45K. They'll get the best and brightest. The rest will go to A&M if they can't afford a private college. .

SMU has passed A&M in the rankings. Baylor will too in the next two years.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
UT is capping at 50K. They'll get the best and brightest. The rest will go to A&M.
Well, the UT-System realizes they have other campuses across the state that students can go as to not require an overgrown flagship campus.
Captain Augustus McCrae
UT-Austin is about to leave A&M in the dust. A&M's competition will be UT-Dallas and UH.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
UT is capping at 50K and trying to reduce back to 45K.
My kids are going to Texas.
Marklar
AG
25 x 25 initiative is sh*t. I can't wait to get into the working world, to find that an A&M engineering degree means nothing.
MaysGrad09
quote:
quote:
UT is capping at 50K and trying to reduce back to 45K.
My kids are going to Texas.

Mine too. **** Sharp and the regents for turning A&M into a diploma mill.
powerbiscuit
quote:
quote:
Growing the student body faster than we can

a) Build the infrastructure, higher high caliber professors, etc... means a weakened environment and education for students.

b) Attract that many additional students of quality equal or higher quality than what we have means we have to accept students of lower quality.

If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, than maybe I'm OK with this. If not, I have a big problem with it.

(In actuality, I wish we had higher standards than what we currently have.)

you might not have made the cut
Topher17
AG
As a current student, I can assure you the university does not have the infrastructure for that kind of growth in 10 years. Not to mention, the City of College Station doesn't have the infrastructure to see that kind of growth.

In addition, for those of us that hold A&M's traditions so dear, when you let that many people into the school, the traditions become less and less prominent. More and more students are showing up on campus that don't have a connection to the traditions of A&M.

Having as many students as possible should not be the goal. Having high quality students of character, that you have the resources to educate, should be.
Richardson Zone
AG
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2623348

Listen to Sharp's interview. He doesn't want A&M to be " a snobby place that rejects a bunch of kids".

That clown has to go.
West Point Aggie
AG
In 25 years A&M's living alumni base will probably be the largest in the country...whether that's good or bad is debatable...
Sid Farkas
AG
Conveying a high quality education to an ever growing population is a tough job...made a lot tougher by a loosely-coordinated group of small-minded, zero-sum thinking knuckleheads.

Thank god you guys weren't around when John Kennedy tossed down the moon landing gauntlet or else Apollo would've never happened.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
In 25 years A&M's living alumni base will probably be the largest in the country...whether that's good or bad is debatable...
That honor will probably belong to the University of Phoenix or one of the other online schools, which A&M may be by then.
TAMU bball fan
quote:
If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, than maybe I'm OK with this.
A&M's standards aren't high to begin with. Shouldn't they be raising them and trying to become a top 20 University like they intended when Gates was here? Or at least move back into the top 50 or 60 like it was 5 or 10 years ago?
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
That honor will probably belong to the University of Phoenix or one of the other online schools, which A&M may be by then.

Ouch!
dirkjones
AG
Top 10% receive automatic admission but we are admitting more students today that are not in the top 10% . Students with grades that would not have made it 3 years ago are now being admitted with no restrictions. Even those students that are being turned down are now being sent to Blinn and most are receiving automatic admission after 2 years of course work. This has been a boom to Blinn as now they are building a new campus off the loop in College Station.
AgCPA
AG
Generally Texas college students are underfunded by the state and at the same time no one wants tuition to rise. I'm thinking this looks good short term... long term... not so much. Ask a faculty member, they usually have an opinion.
Topher17
AG
quote:
quote:
If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, than maybe I'm OK with this.
A&M's standards aren't high to begin with. Shouldn't they be raising them and trying to become a top 20 University like they intended when Gates was here? Or at least move back into the top 50 or 60 like it was 5 or 10 years ago?
The go to "I wouldn't have gotten in now." line of many Former Students is certainly a tired one. I know several people here who simply had no business getting in out of high school and they are proving that now. Besides just that, it is WAY too easy to get into A&M from Blinn.
Topher17
AG
quote:
Top 10% receive automatic admission but we are admitting more students today that are not in the top 10% . Students with grades that would not have made it 3 years ago are now being admitted with no restrictions. Even those students that are being turned down are now being sent to Blinn and most are receiving automatic admission after 2 years of course work. This has been a boom to Blinn as now they are building a new campus off the loop in College Station.
Al Bula
AG
Sharp is a GD moron
TAMU bball fan
A&M engineering courses are being taught at Blinn now. The A&M brand is being seriously harmed by the chancellor and regents. How far does A&M have to fall in the rankings before former students push back?
Womackster
MagnumLoad
Good luck sending your kids to tu if they are capping their enrollment.

Edited to add that the most concerning thing to me is the increasing population of Texas along with changing demographics, which could turn this state liberal along with Cali and NY.
dirkjones
AG
Blinn is expecting an enrollment of 20,000 to its Brazos Valley Campus by the year 2025. With 80,000+ students at TAMU, can you imagine the traffic snarls with an almost double amount of student traffic.
MaysGrad09
Get rid of Blinn Team and the TAMU/Blinn Engineering Academy. Quit trying to make A&M accessible to anybody and everybody. That's what UH, Tech, UT-Arlington and all the other 3rd tier schools are for. Texas needs A&M and UT-Austin to be top 20 universities.

Sharp has to go and the regents need to be kept in line by the alumni.
Spicewood Ag
AG
Degree Factory
dirkjones
AG
Too late to get rid of Blinn Team, it is already too big. I believe A&M also has an automatic admission policy with a couple of other junior colleges, Collin County and Alvin I think. Need to toughen up the requirements that are needed to transfer to TAMU but that is not what is desired by the current Chancellor and Board of Regents. Dr. Bowtie saw this coming and spoke against it, now he is at Missouri.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.