Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did our band form Sawed off Horns..

53,877 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WTF is wrong with you people? sawing the horns off is now unclassy? I dont give a **** what the sip band did at halftime. They are a rival. Get that through you head. A rival. If anyone is an idiot, its the sips. You dont form a thanks A&M on the field for your rival.
Muy
AG
that wasn't sincere from the sips, any of you believing that they were might want to have your heads examined
agAngeldad
Why wer the sips giving us a A&M flag that they "traveled with at every game"?
Did they steal and and were giving it back? and why were the carrying it with them? Anyone Know?
AJ02
AG
Dear God. This is what's wrong with society...too much pussification & worrying about someone else's feelings. Wonder how many of these posters who are upset are either helicopter parents or children of helicopter parents.
8T2
quote:
(1) Which word in "WE NEVER LOSE A HALFTIME" are you supposed Aggies getting confused on? What it means is, "WE NEVER LOSE A HALFTIME." Ever! We've been saying that phrase at least since my grandfather was there from 1936-1940, because it's true. And if you don't say that and think that and believe that, you ain't a Texas Aggie.

Time for a new saying. The band got outclassed by the band from the state capitol.

If class were an easy thing to do, everyone would have it. It is not. Those exhibiting class must often pass up the chance at revenge, rubbing it in, vengeance, and all manner of other acts that may give a short lived feeling of superiority. Class individuals are often taunted as weak, inferior, or wimps for taking the high road.

Aggies claim to be known for taking the high road. Last night we did not. We went for the cheap laughs, and were embarrassed by a group that we would never have expected to do so. The excuses being posted today make it worse.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Is the OP serious? The tu band played a Queen medley. QUEEN!

You are damn right we Sawed Varsity's Horns Off!

And we won halftime!

Some of you people amaze me. And y'all wonder why we suck at football. Maybe it's because we suck at being tough as fans.

[This message has been edited by The Chicken Ranch (edited 11/25/2011 6:56p).]
AJ02
AG
Speak for yourself, 8T2. I certainly wasn't embarrassed.
fightinfarmer2010
AG
All of y'all saying we lost halftime should shred your diplomas and turn in your Aggie rings

How can you bash your own? The FTAB always performs with dignity and class
WolfCall
AG
Actually, it was sincere - the Longhorn Band. If they had been predicted to win, and if they hadn't been so classy after the fall of Bonfire, I might not of thought so.

Our band chose to perform a Rice University Band parody. if you are proud of that, go hang out with the Rice "Mob".
WolfCall
AG
We did lose halftime.
etexorange
quote:
Why wer the sips giving us a A&M flag that they "traveled with at every game"?
Did they steal and and were giving it back? and why were the carrying it with them? Anyone Know?

The Longhorn Band flies the flag of each conference member while marching during pre-game. Memorial Stadium used to fly a flag of each conference member, too.

Here's a pic of the Longhorn Band flying A&M flags in 1999:

In this pic, you can see the flags of Nebraska and Missouri as the band marches during pregame:

[This message has been edited by etexorange (edited 11/25/2011 7:20p).]
VatoLocoAggie
We did lose at halftime. We know it and sports fans across the nation would agree.

We should be appreciative of the gesture and learn from it. Sometimes we get blinded by rage that we forget the more important characteristics that distinguish from other universities.

fightinfarmer2010
AG
All you ***s probably wanna hold hands with these clowns now too right?
JLF3
Sorry to interrupt. As a Longhorn, I had zero problems with the saw 'em off. It is your tradition, and I wouldn't want it any other way. You guys are way over thinking our message. It was meant as a "it's been fun", nothing more or less.

None of my fellow Texas fans cared half as much at this BS as you guys seem to.

And be for you rip me for being a walmart fan - class of 2000.
FAST FRED
AG
Muy, their excellent showband's flag corps always carries small flags representing each conference member when they march.

I remember them them having two A&M flags, one at each end or side of their formation.

I guess that where the flag's from and they have no more use for it.

BTW, Kyle Field flies small flags representing each conference member.

Them carrying flags of all their conference opponents may seem cool to them, but to me it always seem arrogant and in keeping with their notion that they're the big orange overlord..

Our military band doesn't have a flag corps with other school's flags because we don't represent other schools or majorettes because we didn't have girls.

We've content to be who we are, while they've always wanted to have EVERYONE MARCHING TO THEIR TUNE.

Conference member's flags fly in welcome above Kyle Field.

I always thought it was significant that we welcomed sn opponent to our stadium by flying their flag, while tu carried other's flags like captured trophies.

Maybe that's just me.

Whenever a non-conference foe played at Kyle we used to obtain and fly a flag above our stadium for them just during that game.

Heck, back when the football field was grass the name and colors of both teams, Texas Aggies or Texas A&M in one end zone and our opponent in the other, was even sprayed or dusted on the turf.

That ended when we went to an artificial surface and isn't done now, even though real grass is back at Kyle Field.

IMO, tu can be classy and I have relatives and friends that are graduates.

We all get along fine in most ways.

In my experience, however, they are individually or as a group often classy toward A&M only when being so either serves their purpose or makes no difference to them in that instance.

Because almost every tu supporter chooses to think Texas A&M and the Texas Aggies are inferior to them and their school and not worthy of being their rival, much less their equal.

They were sincerely supportive to us after Bonfire fell and we were the equally polite to them when Charles Whitman shot their students from their Tower.

So, I've proudly and thankfully seen when tragedy and/or state pride have joined us in feelings and in purpose.

However, they really believe they alone truly represent Texas, our state, as it is and should be perceived and that they have no peer in that regard.

They believe we're not as good at or as worthy of really representing Texas.

They think since "Texas" names both our state and them that nothing and/or no one else rightfully deserves to use that appellation without their scrutiny and aquessence.

When they say "We're Texas" there's apparently little to no room for others to actually stand as equals by their side.

For example, they are certainly the Texas Longhorns, but we can't simply be the Texas Aggies.

What are we thinking to do that?

In their view that's a misleading misnomer, instead of a short, fond nickname.

For in their state, we have to be designated the Texas A&M Aggies; there can be no Texas Aggies.

I'm comfortable with any of those school nicknames, but I don't like them picking what we should choose be called in print, in song or on our T-shirts.

So, I'd be happy with "Aggies" and "Longhorns" or "Texas Aggies" and "Texas Aggies" written on the stadium grass.

OK, I'll admit it, if it irritates them to see "Texas Aggies," I suppose that's preferable to me.

I believe we and our schools are equal in most things, but also different in significant ways and that's generally a good thing.

Nevertheless, as I see it, personally:

They are arrogant by nature and I am tolerant.

They feel entitled and proud, while I feel enabled and proud.

We are great rivals, in my eye and in my mind.

But they often refuse to acknowledge that rivalry from their side, saying we are second rate latecomers to the table and generally undeserving of their respect.

Just my opinion.

Other participants and observers, from either school, may see it differently and they're welcome by me to do so.

BTHO whomever we play next!!!!!

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 11/25/2011 8:33p).]
A-Mac09
AG
The collapse of the bonfire was a totally different situation than the last meeting of a rivalry. 12 aggies died participating in one of the most somber and sacred traditions at A&M. That is just heartless if you don't show a little bit of class after a tragedy like that. The rendition of Amazing Grace and raising of the A&M flags was a very classy thing and a big deal in the lives of Aggies everywhere. That is a totally different situation than simply just splitting from the Big 12 into different conferences.

Ashley '13
Maegnas Is My Name
we factually did this. whether it means we "lost halftime" or not, we did. and yet we're blaming reporting for being accurate? wtf aggies?!

>> so does that make everyone with saw em off shirts classless?

no, just brainless. wear pro-aggie shirts instead.
1208HawkTree
AG
NM.

[This message has been edited by 1208hawktree (edited 11/26/2011 1:25a).]
brewcrewag
Fast Fred, it is difficult to know where to start.

You base conclusions on a very small sample, you make assumptions based on faulty logic, and you make generalizations about an entire school and fan base based on your family. What education or training has made you think that any of these methods are accepted in any scientific field?

More importantly, I read each reply and can say quite confidently that I have never read such a collection of bitter, thoughtless, narrow-minded responses anywhere. Keep it up and the Texas Aggies will be the laughing stock of the SEC, not due to on-the-field results, but because of the fans.

Due to the actions of many you, we were already despised by Tech and Baylor. Texas and OU tolerated us. How long will it take for you to alienate the majority of the SEC? You say Texas is arrogant? Who do you think you are? Judge and jury?
BigOil
AG
Thumbs up to sawing off the horns. I remember the first time I saw it live in the 90s and Kyle went bonkers. That is what rivalries are all about.

Seems now we are all getting carried away with the loss and piling on to other things.

Suck it up Ags. We got beat. Deal with it. Don't internally combust and start whining and crying because Mommy or Daddy didn't let us get our way and start taking it out on each other.

We got bigger and better things to move on to and it will take us all standing proud together to get where we want to be.

What makes us look like a laughingstock are the infighting and meltdowns that the lurkers have been seeing the last four days. We look like a bunch of hillbillys that want to go poison some trees.

Move on, stand tall and together.
cooperjkk
Wait. I thought they didn't consider us rivals? And why the hell should we be concerned with how much class the BAND displayed.

Their actions speak louder than the words they spelled out on Kyle field. If the horns were truly classy they would not of drove us out of the conference in the first place you bunch of morans. It was a pr stunt.... get over it ... the horns always look good in the press, nothing new.

Seriously, this is the last ****in thing that you guys should be worried about.
gigm09
AG
I was there. The Aggie Band stood head and shoulders above the sip band in their performance. There is nothing wrong with sawing 'em off. This is a rivalry game not a friendly exchange of pleasantries.
TexasAggies11
AG
They showed class? they spelled "thanks atm" so what! as has been already said it was A PR STUNT so ESiPN could make an article like they did nothing more.

I might have considered it classy if they spelled something like "keep the rivalry" or something indicating an actual attachment to the showdown.
SEC-Ag
AG
The Aggie Band did not lose the halftime, they were awesome. Would love to see the tu band try that four way cross through. It's a pretty amazing maneuver that appears to be under-appreciated by some Ags.

And nothing wrong with sawing horns off. We did that as a whole stadium several times. Some of you people are soft.

That "thanks Ags" stunt was just more of their 24/7 media-image-spin. And watching the DVR after the game I noticed that's the only part of halftime shown on espn. Coincidence? No, it's their constant pr games to freeze the issue their way in the public mind.

To Aggies who have been paying attention the events of the last 18 months, that "Thanks Ags" was a big middle finger to us. (and that so many aggies ate it up right out of their hand must make them really laugh back at belmont).
johnnyg88
Gzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
PineAg
I have read most of these posts about how classy the t.u. band was and how unclassy the FTAB was. You can all take a flyin' leap!! As happens every week we get beat, some of you have to get your panties in a wad about something and hate on anything you can.

THE FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE BAND DOES NOT, HAS NOT and WILL NOT LOSE A HALFTIME.

When are yall going to figure out that with that Fairy School from Travis County, it's all about PR. Why do you think we are getting out of the Big 12....to get away from those morons.

I wish you all could have seen the LMB walk into the area between Duncan and Harrington while A-Batt was having Thanksgiving dinner. They all looked really cute in their Hee-Haw costumes. BTW, they were looking for a potty and as all good Ags do, we obliged and let them use the potties in the Corp Dorm. The kids that we met from the Band were well behaved and appreciative of our hospitality.

Please forgive me for going on a long rant, but I have a child and a former student of mine int the FTAB and take a lot of pride in what they do.
jaxonwasmyfirsthero
t sips do one classy thing and act like they deserve a friggin medal for it.
TexAgggg11
Watch from 2:00 to 3:00..... WHOOP

http://youtu.be/QtUPlLABvd8
CampingAg
AG
The Texas band halftime performance made me sick. Call me classless, but I didn't want to feel any friendly feelings toward Texas. I dont know when else they would present us with the flag, but half -time of the last Lone Star Showdown isnt it
bqaggie86
As a BQ, I would say we lost the halftime. Not because of the "Saw Varsity;s Horns Off" formation, but because the drill nearly fell completely apart towards the end. On the alum side someone(s) countermarched at the wrong time resulting in several files being off by two paces. They had to play catch up in order to get back into place. Plus the alignment was poor for the last game of the season.

I didn't see these issues in the tu performance, Granted, their show was easier to perform.
Texas97
Kirk Bohls reported that it was Frank Denius idea/request for the UT Band to do the halftime "Thanks A&M" deal.

Denius is a war hero and Denius' foundation has donated considerably to Texas A&M as well. The halftime deal wasn't disingenuous at all.

-------------

"Not to neglect Wofford Cain’s alma mater, under Frank Denius’ leadership, the Cain Foundation has also given generously to Texas A&M University, having funded athletic facilities, several endowed chairs, and the annual Boot and Saber Awards for the ROTC program."
bac
AG
Ok so it's sad that a sip has the best post on this thread telling us that no one gives a sheet but us about this.

Thanks for the YouTube post. Unfortunately now that I see that we DID saw varsity's horns off, it really sucked. What a weak horn head. Yeah we lost halftime.

Speaking of the band, why the eff do we get away with "nationally famous"? Seriously, that's got to be quite a stretch.
2012Ag
AG
I have a ton of friends in the longhorn band (yes sip friends, grew up with them, boo hoo) and they said it was mainly the directors idea. The band was generally against it. So whoop to our band sawing 'em off.
WolfCall
AG
Those whining about the LHB class act are typical Ag Ahabs and are the problem. Best part of ending the rivalry is getting away from the unhealthy obsession with U.T.

Ahab was just peevish about Moby Dick compared to the way you guys are acting
Owlagdad
An outsider, but Aggie son, brother, and father. You WON halftime. The Rice band has made fun of tu for years and they YUK it up, and tolerate it because they know they will whip the Owls in football, and enjoy the supposed eliteness that the MOB give them. But sips are like liberals, only their ideas count, and if the field is not level in favor of them, they will do whatever means to tilt it to their level. They will always disguise their jealousy of A&M and its traditions with so called hate and not so subtle teasing. They said goodbye, but I bet with fingers crossed behing their backs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.