Houston
Sponsored by

Nick Wright out at 610

22,774 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MelvinUdall
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The only local sports radio show I listen to is the Proper Gentlemen because they do a pretty good job of covering all Houston teams unlike anyone over at 610. Matt and Lance are fairly rational with their analysis of all of the teams too. Pallilo is ok as well but pretty much everyone else sucks. The biggest issue with local sports radio in Houston is the fact 75% of the talk deals with the Texans no matter how good or bad they are. About three years ago, I began listening to podcasts (BS report, Shutdown Fullcast, Solid Verbal, any sports podcast Grantland/Ringer related) because they are entertaining but analytical too.
if i get tired of the local programming, i listen to the Steve Czaban show. He and the other guys are pretty funny. Plus, they talk about about a lot stuff.
mazag08
AG
Only thing I can stand these days is Sirius 84.

And the most annoying thing on Houston sports radio is that bumbling idiot who failed in the NFL who is on every morning. Can't think of his name. Who in their right mind can stand to listen to him compare everything to the NFL?

"It's March madness.. which of course reminds me that we have only spent the last 6 hours talking about a trade the Texans made two weeks ago. Let's dive back into that with some rehashed analysis that a 5th grader could offer after this commercial break"
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
I think my biggest issue with sports radio in general are the callers. I can't stand these know it alls who call in on their chitty phones trying to act like they know how to run a professional sports team. I think that's what I like about In The Loop and Triple Threat...rarely have callers when I typically listen.
callers are one of my favorite things about sports radio. I laugh out loud in my truck at least once a day at them. bunch of idiots.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sometimes I use Iheart or tunein apps to listen to stations in other cities. It's noticeable that Houston hosts spend a lot more time trolling for callers and talking about the same crap. I guess they think it's radio gold to put the same old drunk callers on the air to argue about "Darruh More-ray" and "Rick Smits."

I wound up drinking with two local hosts one night and asked them why the other shows were so obsessed with caller-driven radio, and they said it's pure laziness. A lot of the local hosts don't like to do actual reporting or content develop, so they just troll for callers.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
I think my biggest issue with sports radio in general are the callers. I can't stand these know it alls who call in on their chitty phones trying to act like they know how to run a professional sports team. I think that's what I like about In The Loop and Triple Threat...rarely have callers when I typically listen.
sounds just like the Texags posters who pretend to be authorities on Sports radio programming.
But this is TexAgs...we know stuff.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
callers are one of my favorite things about sports radio. I laugh out loud in my truck at least once a day at them. bunch of idiots.
They are a bunch of idiots, and for the most part, the hosts don't make it any better with many of them trying to talk over them. Pallilo really doesn't because callers seem to be a huge need in his show with him being solo, but the fact still remains. The callers are idiots. That, and his occasional few seconds of silence that make me wonder if my radio went out and have me checking the volume.

The only radio show I can listen to is Michael Berry. He doesn't yell over them and will then tell them why they're an idiot, or just let it be if they're just so dumb that a response isn't warranted. It's also funny when he starts to troll callers on stuff off topic to why they called.

Other than that, during college football, I have Sirius College Sports going as they actually cover CFB, and I've really gotten into podcasts this off season due to sports radio in the Tine getting old...though I do listen to the Top 5 at 5 each day. It's kind of my "what happened while I was at work" fill in.
Aggie Rick
AG
The idea that Nick Wright has some sort of connection to Mike Florio is laughable. Florio is paid to be on 610 weekly and will show up on any radio show if the price is right. He does a segment in Dallas after his segment in Houston.

Nick's race baiting and constant takes that revolve around his liberal politics made him terrible to listen to and can only get him so far. He claims to be the smartest guy in the room and needed to cheat on a wonderlic test against other members of the station to win.

Rainbow Lopez is ok bc he is an Ag and I love how hard he tries to put down tu and other Texas schools without making it look like he is. If he wasn't an Ag I wouldn't care for him.

Seth Payne and Pendergast would be the best pairing on the station. Two smartest guys there.

Mike Meltzer is terrible and brings Seth down. Seth has to spend a segment an hour explaining logic and exposing flaws in Meltzers takes.

Sean and Ted are quality, I am not sure Rich Lord watches sports. Anything better than Barry Warner.
MelvinUdall
quote:
The idea that Nick Wright has some sort of connection to Mike Florio is laughable. Florio is paid to be on 610 weekly and will show up on any radio show if the price is right. He does a segment in Dallas after his segment in Houston.

Nick's race baiting and constant takes that revolve around his liberal politics made him terrible to listen to and can only get him so far. He claims to be the smartest guy in the room and needed to cheat on a wonderlic test against other members of the station to win.

Rainbow Lopez is ok bc he is an Ag and I love how hard he tries to put down tu and other Texas schools without making it look like he is. If he wasn't an Ag I wouldn't care for him.

Seth Payne and Pendergast would be the best pairing on the station. Two smartest guys there.

Mike Meltzer is terrible and brings Seth down. Seth has to spend a segment an hour explaining logic and exposing flaws in Meltzers takes.

Sean and Ted are quality, I am not sure Rich Lord watches sports. Anything better than Barry Warner.

Hahahahahahahahaha on Seth Payne on explaining logic, the guy canny stay on topic for more than 5 seconds, if it wasn't for Meltser I am not sure that Seth would have a coherent show. I want to add that I like Seth a lot and he brings a lot to the show, him and Meltser are a perfect pairing.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Hahahahahahahahaha on Seth Payne on explaining logic, the guy canny stay on topic for more than 5 seconds, if it wasn't for Meltser I am not sure that Seth would have a coherent show. I want to add that I like Seth a lot and he brings a lot to the show, him and Meltser are a perfect pairing.

This. They are polar opposites and it works really well. Good mix of decent takes/analysis and off the wall banter/Joe Six Pack/former players view

I enjoy their show
clintaggie04
AG
Granato is the best in Houston IMO. Male golfer, female golfer or food makes me laugh hard every time, especially when Granato and Sean Saulisbury do it.

I also like Fred and AJ's show, even though I disagree with most of what they say. I like that they talk about all types of stuff.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Granato is the best in Houston IMO. Male golfer, female golfer or food makes me laugh hard every time, especially when Granato and Sean Saulisbury do it.

I also like Fred and AJ's show, even though I disagree with most of what they say. I like that they talk about all types of stuff.
a few things i dislike about fred and AJ
1) fred says "man" a lot
2) i dislike how they always get po'd at callers/tweeters/texters and tell them to change the dial, this generally after a dissenting opinion
3) they are on a subtle jab at other hosts kick. usually 610 or charlie pallilo.

Charlie pallilo is probably the smartest host in houston. He speaks well and his general sports knowledge is superior to the rest. His show format is generally boring though which is unfortunate.
bularry
quote:
I'd like to see them put Kenny Hand and Russ Small with Lopez. Would tune in just to hear how awful it would be

that would be awesome! Kenny Hand was the worst radio host I can remember ever listening to in Houston. and I've been listening to sports radio in this town for 20+ years.

The current "worst on the radio" title is held by adam clanton. that guy is an idiot with the mental maturity of a 9 year old. geez he is terrible. so glad when he moved on from the morning show with LZ. I actually like MT quite a bit as a host.
clintaggie04
AG
I agree with everything you said.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:

May be one of the best bits on radio - EVER.

I long for the first 2 years of 1560 - that was really funny stuff.
ce1994
AG
Fred and AJ can be funny but AJ is as dumb as a sack of hammers. He can't even do basic math.
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:

May be one of the best bits on radio - EVER.

I long for the first 2 years of 1560 - that was really funny stuff.
It's definitely the best bit in Houston radio right now, hilarious
BoxingAg84
If I had a dollar for every time Lance references his dad during every show, I'd be wealthy.
Forum Troll
AG
I stopped listening to 610 over a year ago. The repetitive Texan talk got old. I agree with one of the above poster regarding 790. They consistently cover most major sports, even UFC which I wish they'd drop (mostly LZ).

Also agree on Pallilo. Very knowledgeable but format is a problem.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
If I had a dollar for every time Lance references his dad during every show, I'd be wealthy.
I've listened to him for years and he references his dad almost never.
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:

I agree, he rarely mentions his dad, now if he could somehow find a medication that didn't have him shutting mike off so he can cough or clear his throat, that would be great.
BoxingAg84
quote:
quote:
His dad is coached on the college and pro level for years. When he handicaps players or talks football, he will always mention his dad and what his opinion was on certain players. You must not listen closely because he does it every single day.
agchugger
AG
spadilly
S
Czabe on the drive to work.
Travis Rodgers driving to/from lunch.
Sean/Ted/Rich on the drive home.

I miss the old Sean P and John H show on 1560. That was arguably the best duo in Houston sports talk history (right up there w/ John and Lance back in the day).
JYDog90
AG
Back in the day when Rich Lord and Charlie Palillo were on 740 together, that was like the gold standard for sports radio but when they reunited at 610, it lacked a little something.

I think we've seen at 790 that it's hard to pair Palillo with anyone, mostly because he doesn't suffer fools very well. There's lots of fools in Houston sports radio.
AgCPA95
AG
quote:

I miss the old Sean P and John H show on 1560. That was arguably the best duo in Houston sports talk history (right up there w/ John and Lance back in the day).
Ding ding ding. Couldn't agree more!

I still fall back to listening to LZ following him around from station to station over the years as I find him the most palatable regardless of pairing, but he and Granato were great. Also with him being from Houston and around the same age he understands the pain of Houston sports fan and all of our highs and lows. Clanton was an absolute boob - I'm not even sure of his background but came off to me as FM DJ guy with and Radio/broadcast degree trying to talk about sports. Jury is still kind of out on Matt Thomas as he and LZ really haven't seem to hit their groove - not sure if they ever will.

The one constant is change - the pairings will continue to change and folks will continue to jump from station to station over time.

MelvinUdall
Clanton is simply awful, I have never listened to someone that time and again is a Debbie Downer about everything. He is a huge Rockets fan, but somehow he cuts them a little more slack than the Texans. I am sure he will predict the Twxans to have an awful record again and will somehow justify it with some round about BS that only he would believe. My guess is he is done after this show fails he is on.
spider96
AG
I wish we could get a John Harris and Lance Zierlien pairing in sports talk for football season. That would be some good radio.
bigredfish
Definitely has a face for radio
75AG
AG
quote:
Back in the day when Rich Lord and Charlie Palillo were on 740 together, that was like the gold standard for sports radio but when they reunited at 610, it lacked a little something.

I think we've seen at 790 that it's hard to pair Palillo with anyone, mostly because he doesn't suffer fools very well. There's lots of fools in Houston sports radio.
Charlie's a pompous ass. A highly intelligent, but takes-himself-too-seriously, pompous ass. Does he even have a personality? Has anyone ever heard him laugh? He's an encyclopedia of sports knowledge, but damn, he's boring.
MelvinUdall
quote:
I wish we could get a John Harris and Lance Zierlien pairing in sports talk for football season. That would be some good radio.
That would require LZ to go back to 610, and I am guessing that 610 has no love for LZ after the way he and Granato left 610.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
That would require LZ to go back to 610, and I am guessing that 610 has no love for LZ after the way he and Granato left 610.

John Harris works for the Texans media group so I think it would be possible (not probable) that LZ could join the Texans media group (not the football operations side but the media side) as the resident draft/scouting/talent expert.
MelvinUdall
True, but I doubt that is what LZ would want to do but who the heck knows.
. . .
Meltser & Payne to mornings
Lopez, Cody Stoots & Dante Hall to midday

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mike-Meltser-Seth-Payne-to-take-over-morning-7947066.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Ag_07
AG
I don't know about that.

I like Stoots and he was fine with Lopez, but not sure about that combo in the morning.
fatrandy
quote:
Meltser & Payne to mornings
Lopez, Cody Stoots & Dante Hall to midday

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mike-Meltser-Seth-Payne-to-take-over-morning-7947066.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Didn't even know Dante did radio...? That's awesome.

As long as I never have to hear that Nick Wright wannabe, Gallant ever again I'm fine. He is almost equally as bad as Josh Innes. The only difference is, Josh Innes actually tried to be the awful, Gallant is just awful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.