Houston
Sponsored by

Nick Wright out at 610

22,777 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MelvinUdall
fatrandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
A little off topic, I would love for 610 to dump Rich Lord and for him to leave the market forever.
Add Meltser to that list as well. I like Seth Payne, but can't stand Mike Meltser.

Mid-day radio is just awful. Meltser / Payne, Clanton / Jones, and most notably, that scum of the earth troll, Ketchum
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
A little off topic, I would love for 610 to dump Rich Lord and for him to leave the market forever.
I would be ok with that as long as they keep the Triple Threat format and other 2 guys. I find it entertaining on my way home. It is not noticeable when Rich is gone.
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
Add Meltser to that list as well. I like Seth Payne, but can't stand Mike Meltser.

Mid-day radio is just awful. Meltser / Payne, Clanton / Jones, and most notably, that scum of the earth troll, Ketchum

I like Meltser, he needs to be on there with Payne to keep him on topic, Payne is a bit ADD.

FWA,

Honestly I am OK with the triple threat format, however I would keep Sean and find two new co-hosts.
W
AG
Good move for 610. Could not listen to him. He seemed to take the low road on athlete's character issues, etc.., Everything was all good. No big deal
94chem
I've lived in Houston for 18 years, and I listen to some combination on 610/790/1560/97.5 every day. I've heard all the names you guys are saying, but as far as I can tell, they are all the same person. I have no idea who they actually are. I recognize Lopez, because he's an Ag and used to write. I know John McLain, because he has a distinctive voice and used to be on t.v. I know the national guys, and I recognize Ketchum because of his whiny voice. I think I know who Pallillo is, but not totally sure.

I honestly don't know how you care enough to try to learn who they are. It's just mindless rambling until a commercial starts, then you hit another preset to see who's rambling on that station. Then you pull into work or your driveway and turn it all off.
CW Griswold
It's kind of like when my wife asks me about my opinion on her shoes and I may say something like, "I like the red ones." Really, they all look the same to me, but she knows the difference. The difference matters.
MelvinUdall
quote:
I've lived in Houston for 18 years, and I listen to some combination on 610/790/1560/97.5 every day. I've heard all the names you guys are saying, but as far as I can tell, they are all the same person. I have no idea who they actually are. I recognize Lopez, because he's an Ag and used to write. I know John McLain, because he has a distinctive voice and used to be on t.v. I know the national guys, and I recognize Ketchum because of his whiny voice. I think I know who Pallillo is, but not totally sure.

I honestly don't know how you care enough to try to learn who they are. It's just mindless rambling until a commercial starts, then you hit another preset to see who's rambling on that station. Then you pull into work or your driveway and turn it all off.

This makes no sense to me, if you have actually been listening to sports talk in Houston for 18 years, there are some mainstays that you would know just for the amount of years you have listened.
fatrandy
Never understood posts with the sentiment of "I don't care about the subject matter of this post, so I'd like to voice my opinion that I don't care"

If you have listened for years, then you would most certainly have some sort of opinion on guys like Josh Innes vs guys like John Granato. While some are interchangeable, it's not as black and white as one would suggest.

They don't affect our day-to-day lives, but this post isn't titled "guys who talk on the radio about sports who influence my daily life and determine my mood."

Because that would be entirely too long of a subject line.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
No I don't listen to AM radio trash
so what do you listen to in the morning for sports talk?

Mike and Mike?
i much prefer mike and mike to local talent although granato is probably the best true radio personality in Houston

granato, raheel with del is generally pretty fun to listen during lunch hour
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike and Mike?
i much prefer mike and mike to local talent although granato is probably the best true radio personality in Houston

I honestly dont see how that is possible. Golic makes me want to punch things.
aTm2004
AG
Mike & Mike?
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike and Mike?

i can't listen to mike and mike for more than a minute. but, that's a given for the entire espn radio group. espn is easily has the worst collection of national sports radio hosts.
gigemJTH12
AG
again this is unpopular like my stance on Wright, but I never really hated Cowherd. His takes were obnoxious at times but he is at least smart and can talk. When he and SVP left, I was done with ESPN completely.

I loved SVP. Smart, good takes, funny, great at radio.

Golic is an effing moron. along with every other person they have on radio.

but I agree with you. I mostly hate them all.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike and Mike?

i mean, you muscle through the stupid stuff he says. Greenburg's intelligent rhetoric makes up for Golic's dumbspeak.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike and Mike?

i can't listen to mike and mike for more than a minute. but, that's a given for the entire espn radio group. espn is easily has the worst collection of national sports radio hosts.
Rusillo is good, sucks that SVP moved on to TV because that was hands down the best radio show.
TheWoodsAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Exactly Lopez is a color guy.

I am one of the few that likes Nick in doses. He can be incredibly poignant at times. But a lot of stuff is garbage.

I often wonder if other cities see the kind of turn over we do.

its crazy. as someone who predominately listens to sports talk radio when I listen to radio, its so frustrating. I am also curious if this is a bigger problem in Houston than elsewhere.
The daytime lineup on The Ticket in DFW has not changed for about 15 years......

AM Drive - Dunham and Miller
10-Noon - Norm Hitzges
Noon-3 - BaD Radio
PM Drive - The Hardline
Scantron882
AG
I'd like to see them put Kenny Hand and Russ Small with Lopez. Would tune in just to hear how awful it would be

Bonfired
AG
I've been in Houston since '97 and primarily listened to Rich Lord and Charlie Pallilo when they were together...it kind of worked, but I always got the impression that Charlie was suffering fool(s) and that Rich thought Charlie was too much of a smartypants...if that was the case, they were probably both right.

Charlie sounds like a 13 year old boy sometimes when he gets overly enthusiastic, but he runs a pretty good show. He knows what he's talking about the vast majority of the time and tries his best to be even-handed when it comes to the Houston teams. He's definitely not in the bag for any of them. It is quite entertaining to listen to him just pick apart an idiot caller, of which he has several. I wish his show weren't quite so caller-driven, though.

I listen(ed) to Nick and John in the morning, and I doubt I will miss Nick...he was the show's engine, but I'm only in the car for about 15 minutes in the morning and that was enough. I just can't get into PGoS on 790 in the mornings...maybe I'll give them more of a shot.
rangerdanger
AG
I like Fred and AJ on ESPN. Little bit of everything on that show. That being said, I liked Nick Wright too. After he got the weekend national show I knew it was a martter of time beforw he left.

I hate the late night show on 610 though, Paul and Gallant or w/e? Holy crap.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am one of the few that likes Nick in doses. He can be incredibly poignant at times. But a lot of stuff is garbage.

its crazy. as someone who predominately listens to sports talk radio when I listen to radio, its so frustrating. I am also curious if this is a bigger problem in Houston than elsewhere.
The daytime lineup on The Ticket in DFW has not changed for about 15 years......

10-Noon - Norm Hitzges
Noon-3 - BaD Radio
PM Drive - The Hardline

I've lived in Houston for 3 years and just kept listening to The Ticket the whole time.

I didn't realize Houston had a sports radio station. I thought this was going to be a traffic thread.
gougler08
AG
quote:
I like Fred and AJ on ESPN. Little bit of everything on that show. That being said, I liked Nick Wright too. After he got the weekend national show I knew it was a martter of time beforw he left.

I hate the late night show on 610 though, Paul and Gallant or w/e? Holy crap.

Fred and AJ have grown on me, they are now my go to in the afternoon
BoxingAg84
quote:
I like Fred and AJ on ESPN. Little bit of everything on that show.

Both guys pride themselves on being curmudgeons. It really seems like they're never happy about anything.
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
quote:
I like Fred and AJ on ESPN. Little bit of everything on that show.

Both guys pride themselves on being curmudgeons. It really seems like they're never happy about anything.

Yes. I am a long time listener of them. I honestly can't stand them a lot of the time. And I laugh at them sometimes. They are such pessimists. And the thing that bothers me the most about them is they always talk about teams/coaches "systems" and "schemes" and talk if they "like" or "dislike" a prospect, but they never go into any detail about any of it. They rant a LOT about stuff they really have no idea about.
exp
AG
This is a tough loss for Houston sports talk radio. Love him or hate him (and I liked everything except the constant race talk) he was a talented and entertaining host compared to most. He also had connections to people like Mike Florio which was nice.

I feel bad for Houstonians who have never experienced the ticket in Dallas. So many awesome years I had laughing my ass off with those guys. Houston has never and will never come close to that level of greatness. Merkin. Nip nip Weiner

I'm sad to say I've given up on sports radio in Houston entirely. If I'm listening to the radio in the car its going to be Michael Berry.
exp
AG
Their show is completely depressing. Don't understand how they still have jobs.
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

10-Noon - Norm Hitzges
Noon-3 - BaD Radio
PM Drive - The Hardline

I've lived in Houston for 3 years and just kept listening to The Ticket the whole time.

I didn't realize Houston had a sports radio station. I thought this was going to be a traffic thread.

Yeah right, I don't buy your comment about not knowing that Houston has a sports radio station. As far as the Ticket is concerned, it is entertaining, however it is very little sports, outside of Norm and interviews that show up on other shows, jut my opinion.
MelvinUdall
I bet Meltser will land that morning spot and they will replace Meltser with Gallant in the afternoon, JMO.
exp
AG
No argument...It's an appropriate amount of sports mixed in with a generous helping of drops, inside jokes and guy humor. More rewarding as a listener that "just sports" IMHO.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
I bet Meltser will land that morning spot and they will replace Meltser with Gallant in the afternoon, JMO.

God I hope not. Gallant is right up there with Josh Innes as far as talent and listenability. He's horrible.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pendergrast slide into the morning slot and them filling the afternoon drivetime with someone else. Think Sean and John would work well.
Post removed:
by user
MelvinUdall
quote:
quote:

God I hope not. Gallant is right up there with Josh Innes as far as talent and listenability. He's horrible.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pendergrast slide into the morning slot and them filling the afternoon drivetime with someone else. Think Sean and John would work well.

I know someone that is a friend of a friend with Sean, and from what he has been told, Sean would like nothing more than to get off of any show with Rich Lord.
TexAgs1992
The only local sports radio show I listen to is the Proper Gentlemen because they do a pretty good job of covering all Houston teams unlike anyone over at 610. Matt and Lance are fairly rational with their analysis of all of the teams too. Pallilo is ok as well but pretty much everyone else sucks. The biggest issue with local sports radio in Houston is the fact 75% of the talk deals with the Texans no matter how good or bad they are. About three years ago, I began listening to podcasts (BS report, Shutdown Fullcast, Solid Verbal, any sports podcast Grantland/Ringer related) because they are entertaining but analytical too.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Matt and Lance are fairly rational with their analysis of all of the teams too.

Not sure how anyone can say this with a straight face.

All they do is come up with the most sarcastic takes and say them on air in the stupidest voices or impersonations they can come up with. They'll follow up with laughter and roll it into the next idiotic take.

They act like they don't take their job seriously and just sit there and poke fun at everything, until Lance goes into his NFL draft analysis. Then they get serious.

Then afterwards it's back to game shows, fake callers, impersonations, and the stupid takes on the radio. It's unlistenable.
aTm2004
AG
I think my biggest issue with sports radio in general are the callers. I can't stand these know it alls who call in on their chitty phones trying to act like they know how to run a professional sports team. I think that's what I like about In The Loop and Triple Threat...rarely have callers when I typically listen.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I think my biggest issue with sports radio in general are the callers. I can't stand these know it alls who call in on their chitty phones trying to act like they know how to run a professional sports team. I think that's what I like about In The Loop and Triple Threat...rarely have callers when I typically listen.
sounds just like the Texags posters who pretend to be authorities on Sports radio programming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.