Houston
Sponsored by

Gaslamp in the news

29,288 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CheeseSndwch
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
They should have hired a black lawyer.
Petrino1
Im surprised they hired such a young lawyer, he graduated law school in 2011. I would have gone with ol Rusty Hardin.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Im surprised they hired such a young lawyer, he graduated law school in 2011. I would have gone with ol Rusty Hardin.
The first sign someone is guilty is they hire Rusty Hardin.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
The first sign someone is guilty is they hire Rusty Hardin.
Catch
AG
Honestly, this may be my favorite line:
quote:
We will tell you that you're too cheap for our nightclub if you don't want to pay a cover. Because we know that if you won't pay a cover, you're probably not going to buy any drinks.

That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Who the **** goes to a bar to NOT drink? I won't pay a cover because I'd rather spend my money on drinks than the luxury of patronizing an "exclusive" club for the right to pay a premium for drinks.
cajunaggie08
AG
"Proof" they aren't racist.

Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Honestly, this may be my favorite line:
quote:
We will tell you that you're too cheap for our nightclub if you don't want to pay a cover. Because we know that if you won't pay a cover, you're probably not going to buy any drinks.

That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Who the **** goes to a bar to NOT drink? I won't pay a cover because I'd rather spend my money on drinks than the luxury of patronizing an "exclusive" club for the right to pay a premium for drinks.
Exactly, and you know they're putting well-quality liquor in the premium bottles, anyway.
Token
AG
quote:
"Proof" they aren't racist.

so they show video of them getting rejected by VIP, but not show what happens when they presumably walk back to the GA line and get rejected again?

This is almost as bad as when people say "I'm not racist, i have black friends!!!"
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Um...you and I are friends, right???
tmaggie50
AG
Midtown is on a decline. Downtown has come out with a number of good places and I think that's the move the young crowd makes next.
dreyOO
I've been denied admission for stupid reasons before. So what? Go spend your dinero somewhere else.
UndergroundAg
Lol at "VIP" rope
Texaggie7nine
I absolutely support a business right to be racist, aholeish, whatever. They will not get my money, and with all these anti discriminatory regulations you force racist business owners to be fair and thereby taking away my ability to know that they are indeed racists and not deserving of my money.
7nine
fatrandy
After watching that ***** of a lawyer be as smug as possible, trying not to break a smile, I might have a change of opinion. Last time I was there, 3 equally as *****y individuals in bedazzled jeans were doing backflips trying to "impress" girls. Midtown has become a joke, other than watching A&M games at woodrows or pub fiction, (no sense in going to Celtic anymore since Johnny and the Crowley's are never there)

I'll be spending my money in downtown, montrose, or the heights. I'm all for business rights, but acting like you're a special bar that only lets beautiful people in, is a joke. I've seen ppl dress and look like garbage and get in no problem (white, black, brown, any color)
HBCanine08
AG
This place is gonna get shut down lol

88jrt06
AG
I just don't understand why people go to Midtown when 3rd Ward is so handy.
Texaggie7nine
See, this is why I am totally for business rights. Let them do that. Let all the racist aholes that agree with it go there then they won't be at the bars I go to. Why must we force racist human garbage to play nice and make it more difficult for us to find out who they are?
7nine
Catch
AG
Funny little tidbit regarding the "Lawyer" from another article.

quote:
For the record, Sutherland is a University of Houston Law grad, licensed in Texas, and marketing himself as a "Food and Hospitality Lawyer," but from what we're hearing from tipsters, it's more accurate to say he's a "lawyer who works in food and hospitality" in that he's actually been working as Gaslamp's cook while he tries to get his legal career together.
UndergroundAg
quote:

quote:
For the record, Sutherland is a University of Houston Law grad, licensed in Texas, and marketing himself as a "Food and Hospitality Lawyer," but from what we're hearing from tipsters, it's more accurate to say he's a "lawyer who works in food and hospitality" in that he's actually been working as Gaslamp's cook while he tries to get his legal career together.

I think that's a stretch....why would he be a cook if he has a law degree??
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Gotta pay back those loans somehow if you can't get hired as a lawyer somewhere else.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Gotta pay back those loans somehow if you can't get hired as a lawyer somewhere else.

Market is flooded with attorneys. Wouldn't be surprised if he had to take a job as a cook to make ends meet. Regardless, if it got that bad he could do solo legal work
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Pull him up on LinkedIn. He was an attorney at his first company for 2.5 years. Took a 4 month hiatus until his second gig as an attorney for a whole 4 more months. Then started his own "firm" and has been working on his own for the last year. Sounds like a ****ty bar cook to me....
Jock 07
AG
quote:

quote:

That's awesome. Haven't there been studies lately saying that ****ty lawyers are having a hard time finding jobs?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Pull him up on LinkedIn. He was an attorney at his first company for 2.5 years. Took a 4 month hiatus until his second gig as an attorney for a whole 4 more months. Then started his own "firm" and has been working on his own for the last year. Sounds like a ****ty bar cook to me....
He's also a sip, fwiw. His LinkedIn profile reeks of someone who is unable to hold a job very long. As a solo, he's probably going to end up having some sort of compliance issue and mouth off to a State Bar investigator.

From the State Bar:
quote:
PRACTICE INFORMATION
Firm: T.R. Sutherland Law, PLLC
Firm Size: 25 to 40
Practice Areas: Business, Insurance, Litigation: Commercial, Other
Really? He's got 25 to 40 people working for him?

From his own website:
quote:
I serve as the Executive Chef at a gastropub in downtown Houston.
I can't wait to hire an attorney who will give my case the attention it needs ... in between all those hours he's working for someone else ...
Diggity
AG
according to facebook...he also studied law at Oxford
HBCanine08
AG
SMFH
Token
AG
quote:
oxford, Texas?
UndergroundAg
quote:

May be a study abroad program....some ppl in law school did them for credit.
The Wonderer
AG
Sounds like this guy need to come to the attention of the State Bar. I'll be back later......
Furlock Bones
AG
this **** is ****ing phenomenal.
Token
AG
quote:
Um...you and I are friends, right???
yes
Token
AG
quote:
This place is gonna get shut down lol

the light skinned girl in the green pants, holla at ya boy!!!
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I've been denied admission for stupid reasons before. So what? Go spend your dinero somewhere else.
This is far, far, far too simple of an answer. And one that doesn't have the potential to get a paycheck in court. So take that common sense garbage out of here!
WES2006AG
AG
I sure hope there is a new statement from gaslamp today. Those things are quite comical.
BMX Bandit
A "stupid" reason and an "illegal" reason aren't really comparable.

It's extremely rare for someone claiming racial discrimination at a public accommodation to receive any money from the business.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.