Houston
Sponsored by

Gaslamp in the news

29,251 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CheeseSndwch
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm with you. I don't pay a cover to drink unless I'm at a concert/event.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I'm with you. I don't pay a cover to drink unless I'm at a concert/event.
AggieC07
AG
Gaslamp back in the news, their lawyer to the rescue with a reasonable excuse!

http://abc13.com/news/video-man-allegedly-beat-by-guards-outside-midtown-bar/1153974/

fatrandy
An attorney for GasLamp released this statement:
"GAS LAMP SECURITY WAS ACTING IN SELF DEFENSE AFTER MULTIPLE ISSUES WITH THE MAN INVOLVED...THE VIDEO IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT HAPPENED PRIOR TO OR AFTERWARDS AS THIS MAN INITIATED CONTACT MULTIPLE TIMES AND MADE STAFF FEEL UNSAFE AND THREATENED UP TO THE POINT OF POLICE ARRIVING."

Those security guards definitely look fearful of their lives. Also, can we not call them security guards? I feel like that makes it sound like they are professional security. They're just big rahtards, with a short fuse because all the roids they took in high school (when they were the shizz) now make them look fat.

Don't see why anyone would even go to gaslamp anymore, it's almost like you are asking for a bad time. Walked by the other night with a friend and the "security guards" were offering us free drinks if we came in.
CheeseSndwch
DOJ files discrimination lawsuit against owners and operators of 360 Midtown formerly known as Gaslamp.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
DOJ files discrimination lawsuit against owners and operators of 360 Midtown formerly known as Gaslamp.
I ****ing hate Obama with every bone in my body

He is a giant steaming piece of ****

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I know of more than a few bars in CS where this is standard practice of charging certain members of society and maybe not others.

And when I say standard I don't mean the bars pouch but the bouncer individually does this.
FNG
quote:
quote:
I ****ing hate Obama with every bone in my body

He is a giant steaming piece of ****

This was known long before any news about Gaslamp
byfLuger41
AG
I don't think this is a race issue, but more so a making sure servers get tipped out issue.
Ag13
AG
quote:
I don't think this is a race issue, but more so a making sure servers get tipped out issue.
Implying that black people don't tip is racist. And acting on it is illegal. HTH

Not a fan of the Obama DOJ but if you've ever been out in midtown with minority friends (or you are a minority) you know this has been a problem for a while. Hopefully gaslamp is made out to be an example and other bar owners stop this crap.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
Implying that black people don't tip is racist. And acting on it is illegal. HTH

Acting on it is most definitely racist and extremely wrong. I was just being sarcastic and rude and for that I sincerely apologize.

But implying black people don't tip is the furthest thing from being racist. This widespread negative perception of black peoples' tipping practices cannot be attributed solely to racism because it is consistent with a substantial body of empirical evidence. A number of different studies using different methodologies and different geographic samples have found that, on average, black people do indeed tip less than whites in U.S. restaurants.

Let's not get off topic here...definitely don't want to hijack this thread from what matters most and that is Gaslamp's door practices are wrong and they need to be punished.

HTH
Finn Maccumhail
AG
When I worked in the bars in B/CS in the mid- to late-90s it wasn't a matter of charging cover or not. IIRC, all dudes under 21 paid cover while chicks regardless of age did not. However, the dress code, such as it was, was definitely tailored to keep the more melanin-enhanced demographic down.

The dress code was pretty simple though:
- no sports jerseys (unless it was A&M on a game day)
- no backwards ball caps
- no plain white t-shirts

And I can't remember for certain but I seem to remember a shirts tucked-in & no sagging pants being part of it too.

What worked even better at places like JD Wells and Barracuda Bar was the DJ being prohibited from playing much in the way of rap and mixing in a country song or two pretty regularly.
Liquid Wrench
The use of music was one of the first things I learned at my first CS bar job. At the place I worked that had a dj, there was 15-30 minutes of hiphop at a designated time in the evening for all the white girls to get jiggy with it (yes, that's how old I am).
Al Bula
AG
Interesting situation. Discrimination is not right but the business owner is a realist and knows that once a certain clientele begins patronizing his/her business, business will take a nose dive.

Lose/Lose situation for the Gaslamp owner.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:

Not a fan of the Obama DOJ but if you've ever been out in midtown with minority friends (or you are a minority) you know this has been a problem for a while. Hopefully gaslamp is made out to be an example and other bar owners stop this crap.

They don't tip very well on avg and it's not racist to point that out ..

Hth
Liquid Wrench
I don't think it's solely about avoiding the club cycle. A lot of these bars have a business model based on being exclusive, knowing that 30 killionaires and persians will pay higher prices if they think they're part of a special scene. ($20 bucks to drink in that room? Take my money!) They pretty much have to discriminate against someone to keep up the image.

There is some irony in the types of people who seem to be setting the standards for exclusion.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hth
Paying your tab/bill is required. Tipping never is a requirement. Neither of those is a reason to discriminate.

HTH.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hth
Paying your tab/bill is required. Tipping never is a requirement. Neither of those is a reason to discriminate.

HTH.
Who said anything about discriminating? Yes in this country the mores is to tip at bars/restaurant if you are too poor to do so don't go out or choose a restaurant with no wait service.

HTH
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
Paying your tab/bill is required. Tipping never is a requirement.

HTH.

You cheap f***
Liquid Wrench
IIRC, he's a brown and a lawyer, so at least he's acknowledging the bill payment requirement.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Dated a bar tender when I first moved to Houston, worked at a number of bars on Washington ave. according to her and her friends, anytime Asians started coming to the bar in droves she would look for another job because it would go under soon thereafter...
Liquid Wrench
Some sociologist should write a book on the cycle. I know Asians are part of the cycle along with African Americans, but I don't know the order or particular significance.
OnlyForNow
AG
Why can't a private business choose who it does business with?
FtBendTxAg
AG
Why do asians ruin places?
FNG
quote:

Because SJW
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
Paying your tab/bill is required. Tipping never is a requirement.

HTH.

You cheap f***
Hey, I never said I didn't leave a tip. Just saying that you'll get in trouble with the law if you walk out on a tab/bill.

I always tip according to service. Even when it's bad I still leave something.
Liquid Wrench
One ofmy friends got to write a citation for theft of services to a lovely group of people who refused to pay their bill at some place downtown. I guess instead of just walkin the tab they thought they'd complain and get everything for free.
byfLuger41
AG
Details?
Buck Nasty
AG
OnlyForNow said:

The Wonderer
AG
OnlyForNow said:

You can, so long as you do not discriminate based on a protected class.
CheeseSndwch
FtBendTxAg said:

Why do asians ruin places?
I've heard the stereotype for Asians is they hit up a bar/club and nurse a drink all night long or don't drink at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.