Houston
Sponsored by

Best muffetta in the tine

8,346 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Catch
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't the thread title clearly state best muffetta in the tine?

WTF did New Orleans come into this? Oh yeah...By you bragging about your dining prowess
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Olives are fugging gross and don't belong on a sandwich.

We finally found something to disagree on.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

further...name one national chain restaurant that excels at something that local or "1 off" restaurants dont do better... there is a reason why there is chain snobbery.

And that reason is naivity. Eat wherever makes you happy, but it's hilarious that anyone would automatically assume that a local or "one off" place will have superior quality to any national chain.

And the thread was for Houston; we've all been to New Orleans. But I bet you call it "Nawlins" since you're so hip to local knowledge.
MichaelJ
AG
I don't understand you Harry. You started the steakhouse thread and even commented about how ridiculous it was to talk about saltgrass and roadhouse as elite steakhouses. And now you defend the chain restaurant?

A chain restaurant mass produces crap. In no world does their quality compare to a single place or at the very least a local chain.
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:
Olives are fugging gross and don't belong on a sandwich.

We finally found something to disagree on.

I won't hold it against you, babe
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I don't understand you Harry. You started the steakhouse thread and even commented about how ridiculous it was to talk about saltgrass and roadhouse as elite steakhouses. And now you defend the chain restaurant?

A chain restaurant mass produces crap. In no world does their quality compare to a single place or at the very least a local chain.

The Roadhouse thread was funny to me for a number of reasons. But I stopped being a chain snob a while back for a couple reasons.

-many, if not most, independent or "mom & pop" restaurants are serving defrosted, prepackaged food from Sysco or other large suppliers. There are, of course, great exceptions, but I'm not paying a local premium to eat fast food out of some independent spirit.

-I value customer service. A lot of chains have professional training programs that are just better than what you get from some surly mom's surly teenager who's pissed off about having to work after school.

-Health standards. These vary...wildly among mom & pops.

Having said that, I'm a native Houstonian and have my favorite local joints. But I'm not going to make a principled fight for "Johnny's Locally Sourced Thai-Fusion Sloppy Joe Hut" when my parents want to go to the Saltgrass in their neighborhood.

And, for the record, my dad took me for my first mufaletta at Central Grocery when I was a kid. Still like Jason's (which started as a local, family owned spot in Beaumont).
swimmerbabe11
quote:
I value customer service. A lot of chains have professional training programs that are just better than what you get from some surly mom's surly teenager who's pissed off about having to work after school.

Disagree here. What you get from chain training programs is exceptionally mediocre service often times with new agendas bent on turning the tables as fast as possible (Drop the check as soon as the food is out! Prebus the second any one is done eating at the risk of bussing before they are finished!).

The experiences differ much more wildly in one off's, but the better experiences are much much better
Panama Red
AG
I was going to ridicule you some more, but I then saw you use the word "sammich".

Now I know you are a serious foodie not to be trifled with.
jetch17
Diggity
AG
you never know which threads will take off on the new Tine board.
Ag_07
AG
Guys this is why we can't ever have nice things.
MichaelJ
AG
Agree with swimmerbabe regarding the service. Those waiters are more focused on turning the table and pushing the crab meat topping or cocktail du jour.

They are not trained to make sure you have an enjoyable process. If anything those chains devalue the waiter, instead of introducing themselves they must talk of the specials first. The waiters at chain restaurants are just pawns in the system.

Health standards do not vary at all. They all must abide by the same code the city sets forth.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

Health standards do not vary at all. They all must abide by the same code the city sets forth.

Now I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or if you're the owner of Lucky Dragon Cafe #2.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
i simply insinuated that the city where the sammich originated probably had a better version than the one being mentioned in galveston...

This is just a stupid generality.

In some cases is it true? Sure it is. But it is far from universal and if you base your judgement of how good food is using originating location as a factor, you are kind of a dumbass. I bet you think wings in Buffalo are better than anywhere else, or the clam chowder in Boston at Union Oyster House is the pinnacle simply because it's in Boston (hint: it's not that good).

Just like knocking a place strictly because it is a chain and not some quaint mom and pop place in the Heights that uses locally sourced yeast scraped from the vagine of the homeless chick under the bridge on a daily basis for their bread or some other nonsense that makes them "organic" or "self sustaining" or "quaint" or whatever other metro term you want to use to justify why you think it's better.

Jason's and Murphy's actually make a pretty damned solid muffaleta. Maybe not world class, and probably not top 5 in the tine (I wouldn't know to be honest - never gone out looking for a muffaleta in Houston, but I may now), but they aren't using crap ingredients either. Murphy's olive dressing is damned good though, and only a homo like Jetch would disparage olives.
MichaelJ
AG
You clearly missed where I apologized for having misread what catch wrote as having said the one in gtown is better than one you could get anywhere else.

Sorry. But national chains suck. They just do. Im still waiting for a national chain that just dominates something no matter where you go as opposed to a mom and pop/local establishment.
schmellba99
AG
No, I saw that. Still think you are a dumbass because you think originating location actually plays a factor in how good food is.

And there may not be anything that a chain restaurant does that is infinitely better than some local mom and pop joint out there somewhere in the universe - but I can guarandamntee you that there are mom and pop restaurants that fail miserably at things when compared to those chain restaurants you despise so much.

It's not an either/or situation. And simply because some place is "quaint" or "local" or whatever other endearing term you can attach to it, or because it has this awesome local flair or ambiance that you won't get at XXXX national chain joint, or because the chef was once a biker and murdered 3 people in his past life and is covered in prison tats but used that experience to teach himself how to cook, or whatever other reason that you can dream of, does not equate to the food actually being good. I've had just as many craptastic meals at local joints as I've had good ones.

Chains are not the end all of food, don't get me wrong - but they definitely have their place, and outside of fast food, most of them aren't nearly as bad as you want them to be. Especially with fairly common items, and with items that typically come from the same Sysco truck or restaurant warehouse that you get at many of your local mom and pop joints.
MichaelJ
AG
I'm merely pointing out that the city from which the sammich originated might possibly have several variations that at least equal or surpass the quality from that which you will find in Galveston texas.

Seeing as they are a more common food item in Cajun country than texas.

Yes. I think the options in a city, which happens to be from which the sandwich originates, might be copious and have a solid chance at being better than in Galveston.

I did not say go to the restaurant where it was created. I said the city known for their muffuletta might be able to offer one better than in Galveston.

You stupid dingleberry mofo
Catch
AG
quote:
Murphy's olive dressing is damned good though

If it's really that good they shouldn't be ****ing up their Muffaletta by adding Mayo.

Olive salad is what makes a Muffaletta a Muffaletta and should be the only condiment added. The fact that mayo is part of their sandwich prep is worse to me than gay marriage is to Catholics.

I don't mind if someone request mayo or adds mayo to their Muffaletta if that's thier taste preference, but no sandwich shop should ever have it as part of their personal recipe. It's Muffaletta heresy and it makes me sad.
jetch17
AG
GD, catch is one opinionated son of a B when it comes to muffs....
MichaelJ
AG
Ok. But 9 out of 10 times. If a local place is recommended vs a chain establishment. Which are you picking?
BMX Bandit
Aren't you the guy that said on downtown steakhouses that V&A sucked and to go to III Forks instead?
Catch
AG
quote:
GD, catch is one opinionated son of a B when it comes to muffs....

I got into a shouting match with Giada at her restaurant in The Cromwell over her horribly ****ty Muffuletta. By far the WORST Muffuletta I've ever eaten. Needless to say, I'm no longer allowed to dine there....
BMX Bandit
Did you give her the mayo?
MichaelJ
AG
are you talking to me? ive never been to III Forks...so i dont think so.
BMX Bandit
My apologies. I assumed that because you recommended it, you had been there.

http://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2046850

T Durden
AG
What a dildo
Ag_07
AG
quote:
My apologies. I assumed that because you recommended it, you had been there.

http://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2046850

Ahhh chit....Done got real up in hur.
Ag_07
AG
And sake of the debate there is not one mom and pop that can make a chicken sandwich better than ChicFilA. And that's a MFin fact!!
Catch
AG
quote:
And sake of the debate there is not one mom and pop that can make a chicken sandwich better than ChicFilA. And that's a MFin fact!!

I've never had a ChicFilA chicken sandwich, but I think you're wrong....
MichaelJ
AG
Wow. You went back 3 years. Incredible.

I'll have to admit that V&A breaks my Landry rule. Since 2012 I've gone several times to vick's and they do good work there.

3 years ago I'm not sure why I said 3 forks. I hadn't been there and still haven't.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

I'll have to admit that V&A breaks my Landry rule.

Talmbout bro
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

3 years ago I'm not sure why I said 3 forks. I hadn't been there and still haven't.

You probably thought it was a mom & pop and have since figured out it's a chain.
MichaelJ
AG
No. I think I had at the time either heard about it recently and heard good things.

Or was judging based on their hrw menu
Ag_07
AG
quote:
No. I think I had at the time either heard about it recently and heard good things.

So you're so snooty you have a Landry's rule but you do restaurant weeks?

I thought that was a big no no among foodies.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:

So you're so snooty you have a Landry's rule but you do restaurant weeks?

I thought that was a big no no among foodies.
restaurant weeks gives me a reason to put my shine on and get my gurl that sweet new thang.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.