Houston
Sponsored by

Best muffetta in the tine

8,321 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Catch
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I just read an old review saying they buy their muffaletta rolls at Randall's.

Hopefully this has changed.

Why is this a problem in any capacity?

Are the buns only good if they come from a local bakery that uses the word "artisan" in their advertising or something?

This is a perfect example of group think at its best - you have made a determination that because X company bakes the buns, they must automatically now be bad. There is no actual basis for this determination, other than X company is not some local and semi-obscure shop that runs out of some back alley that only local businesses have the secret password to buy from.

If the end product meets the specifications set by Sonny's, and they aren't receiving backlash from their customers that their muffaletta buns are craptastic, then why does it matter if they are baked at Randall's, Kroger, HEB, some local place or in a toaster oven in the back room of Sonny's?

Lighten up, Rantasaurus. The reason I brought it up was that the reviewer said that sandwich was "meh" and the bread was complete average--she heard they buy them at Randall's.

Now, carry on your rant about all that is good and holy in the world of a silly sandwich.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Both Sonny's and Maceo Spice & Import in Galveston have solid muffalettas. Don't think I could pick a favorite between the two. (Sorry, Junior).
Scantron882
AG
http://www.maceospice.com/the-true-muffaletta-story/
Catch
AG
quote:
Both Sonny's and Maceo Spice & Import in Galveston have solid muffalettas. Don't think I could pick a favorite between the two. (Sorry, Junior).

Sadly, when I worked down in Galveston I never made it to Maceos to try thier version. Guy at work I'd go to lunch with was very regimented in his lunch habits and Maceos was not on his rotation. One bad experience there years before I began working there and he refused to ever return. But we went to Sonny's every single Friday that they were open.
schmellba99
AG
It isnt a rant about a silly sandwich, Scooter. It is a rNt about the idiocy of people.

If you are going to call me out, call me out on the right thing.
Biz Ag
AG
quote:
Giada inspires me to make a handmade white sauce.

Violently underrated post.
MichaelJ
AG
You're an idiot.
BarryProfit
quote:
its almost like you only go to chain restaurants/major grocers etc... why are you their great defender?

why so much hate for people who choose to support local businesses and entrepreneurs vs major corporations. since i would venture to say the masses frequent major chains of everything vs local grocers/restaurants, its almost like you are the definition of group think as you defend them so ardently.

Further...Im going to go out on a limb and say that typically the smaller "artisan" bakery tastes better than the mass produced box store baked items...much like homemade breads etc, when done right, taste better than grocery store baked goods.

This guy sucks.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
its almost like you only go to chain restaurants/major grocers etc... why are you their great defender?

why so much hate for people who choose to support local businesses and entrepreneurs vs major corporations. since i would venture to say the masses frequent major chains of everything vs local grocers/restaurants, its almost like you are the definition of group think as you defend them so ardently.

Further...Im going to go out on a limb and say that typically the smaller "artisan" bakery tastes better than the mass produced box store baked items...much like homemade breads etc, when done right, taste better than grocery store baked goods.

This thread sucks.

FIFY
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Sonnys place in GTine
This is, infact, the correct answer. Friday gumbo goes hard as well.
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:
Sonnys place in GTine
This is, infact, the correct answer. Friday gumbo goes hard as well.
Absolutely ****ing loved their gumbo! Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of shrimp. So when they quit making a crawfish only version I quit ordering it. Well, I didn't quit ordering, I still always ordered in hopes they made a batch, but was let down the entire last year I worked on the island. I think crawfish just got too expensive.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Guys, I think you all missed the point and didn't read the title of the post. clearly this poor man is simply looking for a good cleaner for his house and you dive into a slap fight over a sandwich...
schmellba99
AG
Had a muff at Abe's on the north side of CL today. Damned good muffaleta. No mayo, great olive dressing. Meats were very tasty with good smoke flavor. Bread was good. No idea where any of it came from, don't really care either. Can't compare it to Sonny's, so no idea where it stands in the pantheon of Tine muffs. But I'd go back in a heartbeat for another.

Also had some of their seafood gumbo - great flavor. I would have preferred a darker roux personally, and the rice was a little on the undercooked side. Not enough to ruin a good cup of gumbo, but enough to think it could have been that much better.

Catch
AG
quote:
Had a muff at Abe's on the north side of CL today. Damned good muffaleta. No mayo, great olive dressing. Meats were very tasty with good smoke flavor. Bread was good. No idea where any of it came from, don't really care either. Can't compare it to Sonny's, so no idea where it stands in the pantheon of Tine muffs. But I'd go back in a heartbeat for another.

Also had some of their seafood gumbo - great flavor. I would have preferred a darker roux personally, and the rice was a little on the undercooked side. Not enough to ruin a good cup of gumbo, but enough to think it could have been that much better.

I tried Abe's last week. It was hot, so it was an automatic plus for me. I liked it and would probably go back, but it was lacking in proportions. The olive salad had pretty damn good flavor, but only when I could actually taste it and I'm pretty sure there was only one slice of ham, salami and cheese, making for a pretty thin muffaletta. I'm usually good and full after a quarter muffaletta, but I was still hungry after theirs. If they doubled their olive salad, meat and cheese portions I think I'd have enjoyed it much better. I'll definitely be requesting double portions if I do return. I think I'd also ask to add provolone cheese as well if they have it. The use of mozzarella in lieu of provolone was probably be my biggest disappointment.
schmellba99
AG
You must have gotten one of your stripper's boyfriends as the dude that put it together then, because i was pleasantly surprised at the portions on mine. The mozzarella really didn't bother me - I prefer provalone, but the change didn't ruin the sandwich by any stretch for me.

Their menu looked good, and based on my liking of their gumbo, I'll definitely be trying out some more items to see how they fare.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Abe's is good stuff. I wish you two dingleberries would shut up about it. It is too crowded already. Friday nights the place isn't even worth the effort it is so crowded.
Catch
AG
quote:
You must have gotten one of your stripper's boyfriends as the dude that put it together then, because i was pleasantly surprised at the portions on mine. The mozzarella really didn't bother me - I prefer provalone, but the change didn't ruin the sandwich by any stretch for me.

Their menu looked good, and based on my liking of their gumbo, I'll definitely be trying out some more items to see how they fare.
Possibly. I pulled up photos of their muffallettas online to compare and mine was definitely lacking comparatively. Actually had olive salad falling out around the edges, which was far from the case with mine. Regardless, I'll still ask for double fillings next time because it definitely can't hurt.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Possibly. I pulled up photos of their muffallettas online to compare and mine was definitely lacking comparatively. Actually had olive salad falling out around the edges, which was far from the case with mine. Regardless, I'll still ask for double fillings next time because it definitely can't hurt.

Good God you people care way too much about a fckin sandwich
Al Bula
AG

quote:
Had a muff at Abe's on the north side of CL today. Damned good muffaleta. No mayo
I was under the impression a true muffaletta had no mayo. So are you giving this place credit for not adding an ingredient which is not supposed to be there in the first place?

redag06
This....place is hard to find a table if we don't leave for lunch right at 11.
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:

Good God you people care way too much about a fckin sandwich

I don't really have a whole lot I care about. Beer, strippers, gambling and Muffalettas pretty much round it out. If I could find a strip club in Vegas that sold Muffaletta's you'd never hear the end of it....
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wouldn't be a bad name for a strip club
Texaggie7nine
alottamuffs
7nine
schmellba99
AG
quote:

quote:
Had a muff at Abe's on the north side of CL today. Damned good muffaleta. No mayo
I was under the impression a true muffaletta had no mayo. So are you giving this place credit for not adding an ingredient which is not supposed to be there in the first place?

Yes, mostly because Catch made a comment about it earlier in the thread. No other real reason.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
This....place is hard to find a table if we don't leave for lunch right at 11.

Today must have been a slow day then. I walked in about 12:30 or so, and at least half the tables were empty. It is the day after a holiday weekend though, so i'm sure that has something to do with it.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Note to self:
Build strip club in Vegas. Hire all the strippers from Heartbreakers and Crazy Horse, make the best muffaletta on the planet and my retirement is set.
tx4guns
AG
Thanks for the phone call.

quote:

schmellba99
AG
It was spur of the moment, and I had never heard of the place before.

We need to get back to a weekly lunch though.
thenational
AG
Houston's Famous Deli

make a very good muff

Catch
AG
quote:
Houston's Famous Deli

make a very good muff

Hot or cold?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.