Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Steakhouse in Houston, around Minute Maid

1,918 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by ccanney
hawgndodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are coming in to Houston next weekend for the Houston Classic. I'm wanting to go out to a nice steak dinner.

I've found a couple nearby. Which would some of you guys recommend?

www.iiiforks.com
www.vicandanthonys.com
www.striphouse.com
DRE06
AG
V&A.

You could get into a healthy discussion if you asked anywhere in Houston, but around Minute Maid, its not even close.

End of thread.
aTm2004
AG
I've been to a lot of steak houses in Houston (including the ones you listed), and V&A's is the best, without a doubt.
Quantum ace
AG
What they said.
BSD
AG
For downtown, V&A is my favorite.
KW02
AG
As BSD says
MichaelJ
AG
Landry's is terrible

III Forks
BMX Bandit
here is a bit of advice for future reference:

Anything MichaelJ says about food, ignore.
jetch17
AG
V&A all the live long day

V&A is the only fertitta place that doesnt blow goats. The food there kicks the crap out of III Forks or Striphouse downtown, and as far as proximity to minute maid its LITERALLY across the street.

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 2/24/2012 8:12p).]
BMX Bandit
Oceannaire
Grotto
La Griglia
Pesce

All great Fertitta places.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
add Brenners and Cadillac Bar to that list as well. Can someone explain to me what sucks so much about Tillman restaurants? never understood it.
jetch17
AG
And he just bought out Mortons, too
Furlock Bones
AG
ducks,

it's because he does things like rainforest ****fest. that restaurant is worst kind.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Cadillac Bar

Furlock Bones
AG
jh0400 brings up another solid strike against fertitta. cadillac bar does in fact blow goats.
MichaelJ
AG
no no everybody...BMX Bandit is the be all and end all authority on food...he has advise it best to ignore me...go ahead...because i have a differing opinion than his...i must be wrong
713nervy
AG
V&A

Striphouse

IIIForks

and you kids hush about Cadillac Bar, their brunch is outfreakingstanding on a hungover Sunday morning.
MichaelJ
AG
i need to try caddy brunch again. I went on a Sunday with such a terrible hangover that I literally couldnt taste ANYTHING for the first couple things i had.

It was a terrible terrible hangover.

but i did find out what a "nipple beer" was the night before.
BMX Bandit
On this issue, you are most certainly wrong.

V&A is widely recognized as perhaps the top steakhouse in town. Only Pappas and Del Frisco can compete.

Saying its bad because it’s a Fertitta spot shows that you have either never been there or just have terrible taste.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
"it's because he does things like rainforest ****fest. that restaurant is worst kind."

wait so the knock on Fertitta is a restaurant geared towards 6 to 9 year old kids at an outlet malls in katy, tx? out of the 35 or so he owns?
jetch17
AG
He's the Houston Donald Trump and a notorious dickface. His Landrynization of the city & now the country has taken 'some' relatively decent places and watered them down and hokied them up.

Of course places like Rainforest, Aquarium & Joes crapshack are just that, hokey with subpar food, but people eat it up. Thats his M.O.

Just like any good businessman, i suppose, he goes out and buys up popular chains to put his name on it. The 'signature' restaraunts are nicer, but i guess its all just growing up watching this guy and his smug-ness in this town that eats me up. As he begins chaining out the nicer Houston based rastaraunts like V*A, grotto, etc we'll see how the quality fares. Now that he's swallowed up other national brands like Mortons & McCormicks...

He does charitable stuff and gets his face out there, but i know people who deal with him on business ventures and he can be a grade-A dick.

the ventures like the Kemah wonderland & the new Pleasure Pier in galveston are his Xanadus.
MichaelJ
AG
No...I havent been to V&A and am curious to try it.

Personally I really like Perry's but they have gone very Chainy. and my favorite steak/meal i have had was at Eddie V's in City Center.

however. i worked for a Landry's restuarant and cant stand the man or his properties. So, yes, I automatically write off a landry's restaurant as crap.

also...im a fan of any construction that results in being able to say "hey, who wants to take a ride on the pleasure pier"
The D
AG
Saltgrass is good for casual steakhouse place. Certainly beats competitors like outback.

Oceanaire is great.
MaysAgTwentyTen
Pappas Bros
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
no no everybody...BMX Bandit is the be all and end all authority on food...he has advise it best to ignore me...go ahead...because i have a differing opinion than his...i must be wrong

No, you have a different opinion than every one. V&A is unquestionably the best steakhouse listed in the OP, the best steakhouse downtown, and arguably the best steakhouse in all of Houston.

aTm2004
AG
quote:
however. i worked for a Landry's restuarant and cant stand the man or his properties. So, yes, I automatically write off a landry's restaurant as crap.

I worked for a Landry's restaurant one summer in college and don't understand the hate. He has a wide variety of restaurants that cover higher end food all the way down to crappy seafood. My dad's neighbor was the GM for the downtown ferris wheel of bang for years and left that position recently to become the GM of a very high end restaurant in Miami. Tillman has treated him well.
cmac98
AG
V&A. Their valet is cheaper than the parking lots across the street (assuming you are going to a baseball game at minute maid). Plus, the foods pretty good.

[This message has been edited by cmac98 (edited 2/29/2012 8:51a).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
OH my....Vic and Anthony???.......LANDYRS family of restaurants?!?!?!? 3 Forks.... Ocienaire......

Marks - EOT - on Westhimer
Brennan's - Midtown
Feast - Just outside of Midtown on Westhimer - i think/ maybe on Grey still....Nose to Tail place and AWESOME
Branchwater Tavern - creative - but not really a steakhouse(hate the word but its a GastroPub)

BMX Bandit
he asks for a steakhouse near minute maid, so you say Marks EOT?

bonfirewillburn
AG
its "near"

Its like 10-ish min away! Its worth the cab fare
BMX Bandit
its not a steakhouse either.

can you give me a seafood recommendation by the galleria? (Other than the Original Ninfas on Navigation)
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
I'm wanting to go out to a nice steak dinner.

Marks is fine dining, that has great steak.

One of the only places, if not the ONLY, place that sell TRUE A5 Kobe! its 35 an ounce, but still!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 2/29/2012 11:31a).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
or if they have the Veal Chop when you go!!!! MMMmmMMM!!! 16 oz of Awesome!
ccanney
AG
I haven't been to this one yet but I have plans to try it!

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Houston/Restaurant/8694?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.