Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2015

65,778 Views | 514 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What happens if I just don't show to my informal, I accidentlt scheduled a work meeting the same time... Wasn't expecting to get below my "appraised" anyways?

They'll schedule you for a formal.
pnut02
AG
quote:
Had my informal this morning. Went in with my Jubally. He accepted the Jubally number without any push back and said my numbers were a better representative anyway. So I will consider that a small win.
That's awesome - who was your informal with?
agmatt06
AG
I did my iFile last night. Hopefully it goes well. I more or less asked that they just raise the value to what I paid for the house...not 25k more.

sawemoffshort07
AG
I cant remember his name, but his name maybe on the receipt. He looked like a bigger and taller James Harden (Minus the haircut but definitely the beard), so he is hard to miss.
Dr. Venkman
AG
I did iSettle in mid May and still waiting to hear back. I thought it was all computer generated and would be immediate.
Worm01
AG
Yeah, I iFiled a protest on May 18 and still haven't received an appointment date for my informal. I would have expected it to at least be scheduled by now.
sts7049
AG
still nothing for me either
Cromagnum
AG
I went in yesterday to Brazoria county AD and they knocked a whopping $322 off of the $32000 assessed increase. That will save me a whole $20 on the next tax bill.

Apparently comparable sales don't matter, and neither do eye sores such as destroyed roads, pipeline mud pit crossing the neighborhood, or flooded culverts from construction trash.

If you don't look at comps, and you don't look at things that devalue the neighborhood, what is it that you DO look at?
LostInLA07
AG
Tax revenue
Dr. Venkman
AG
Just got the isettle, but the market is still > appraised. Essentially does nothing for my tax bill. I guess go to plan B.
Diggity
AG
I know taxes are high...but abortion is not the answer!
Dr. Venkman
AG
Hey Diggity, can you recommend an appraisal company that will provide square footage only? I got Tetra Surveys & Appraisals from another thread, but they're too busy.
Diggity
AG
Brubaker will usually do that.
Bondag
AG
I just got my appointment. It is on a Saturday. Am I officially F***ed?
sawemoffshort07
AG
sts7049
AG
i still have no appointment set
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Tried isettle, that didnt work

Dont know if im going to go in person or not. I did last year and it helped, i just dont see anyway of getting market value below appraised. Additionally I actually think their number is low based on what homes were selling for at the end of the year/beginning of this year.
KatyAg01
AG
So there's really no point in showing up for the ARB formal hearing if my homestead exemption is capped this year at a value that is $56,000 less than FBCAD's market value, is there? Even Jubally's suggested value is still $53,000 above my HE maximum. Pretty much fooked on this one. Anything I might be overlooking?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
I am not going to mine as I don't think I will get below my cap, and don't have time to deal with it this year.
Cru
S
quote:
So there's really no point in showing up for the ARB formal hearing if my homestead exemption is capped this year at a value that is $56,000 less than FBCAD's market value, is there? Even Jubally's suggested value is still $53,000 above my HE maximum. Pretty much fooked on this one. Anything I might be overlooking?
If Jubally is 53,000 over your capped value, and only $3000 less than your Market, yeah, there's not much sense in doing anything.
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
i still have no appointment set

I haven't heard anything either
sts7049
AG
mine finally posted today. july 23rd
agmatt06
AG
Got my iSettle...It was for the amount I paid for it last year. No real reason to fight that I don't think...
aTm_bomb
AG
Cru, Is there any argument against the monthly time adjustment % to market prices that they apply to comps?
Cru
S
atm_bomb, yes sir, there is.

At your formal hearing (they won't listen to you at your informal hearing), you can use these two arguments to get out of the time adjustment. 1.) a true appraiser who is hired by BoA will look at sales that took place in your neighborhood for the past 6 months. They will not apply some arbitrary time adjustment to make the value go up as that creates a bubble and we've seen what happens with that. They would lose their license if they did. 2.) if you had purchased your home this year, you would be able to walk in with your HUD-1 statement to show what you paid, and they would lower your value to your contract price. They would not apply a time adjustment. Since this is the way they would handle that if it were your home with the HUD-1, then why would they add a time adjustment in on a comp, again, the HUD1, or contract sales price is the Market value of that home.

Make sense?
jobu93
AG
I had the formal today.

Hcad rep was willing to only drop 6k from original yet jubally's comps and my oration (ha!) got the board to knock off 23K.

This is from the market value. There was no room on assessed value but the two numbers are closer
Wife is an Aggie
Just out of curiosity, looking to buy this fall (first time) & when I run numbers I am basing all taxes off of purchase price but is y'alls opinion that the 2016 value will be similar to the 2015 value or will they automatically just boost it up to purchase price since it is new purchase & I can't apply for HE until after Jan 1?

Like I said I am running all financial calculations off the assumption i will pay taxes on purchase price but if the 2015 assessed value is $70K lower than purchase price & with the current housing market how likely is it that they would boost it all the way up to full purchase price?
sts7049
AG
my guess is fairly likely
airboatag
Silly question... What is the proper attire for an informal hearing on a Saturday??
YellAg2004
AG
quote:
Silly question... What is the proper attire for an informal hearing on a Saturday??
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
mine finally posted today. july 23rd

My informal is the 21st, I'm skipping
MrJonMan
AG
The time adjustment thing confuses me
airboatag
I got to my 2014 purchase price which I thought was good enough. Just sucks because jubally had my market comp 25k lower then my purchase price. Guess that means I overpaid
aTm_bomb
AG
Finished up the informal. Frank cannon, extremely nice and reasonable guy, listened and adjusted to my argued value, 48k drop.

Many thanks once again to Jubally.com and Blake for the information to dispute!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I love Frank The Tank. One year at the HCAD Christmas party he did a keg stand. Dude is like 60 years old and dresses like Mr. Rogers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.