Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2015

66,035 Views | 514 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Hurray for getting my cost and design classification changed last year!
How did you do that?
Diggity
AG
Last year, they changed my classification to "total remodel" using the overzealous puffery of the listing agent when I bought my house (damn realtors call everything "down to the studs" these days). I had to show them evidence them it was not a total remodel, rather an "extensive remodel". I brought them some repair bids and pictures of the finishes to make my point.

Oddly enough, they agreed with me and changed the classification last year, but told me they couldn't update my appraised value last year to reflect it. This is the first year I'm seeing the benefit.

Cru was a big help in this fight so I owe him a few beers!
Sazerac
AG
Has anyone gotten their square footage changed based on their own appraisal?
Cru
S
quote:

One of the easiest changes to get them to make. Just take in something official. You might even be able to get them to do that via electronic communication.
Dr. Venkman
AG
quote:
quote:

One of the easiest changes to get them to make. Just take in something official. You might even be able to get them to do that via electronic communication.
Can that "something official" be all HCAD statements from previous years? They bumped mine up 300 sq.ft. based on the MLS listing.
Sazerac
AG
they changed their HCAD ft2 appraisal based on your MLS listing ft2 "from seller"? that's insanity.

I would only want to have mine increased right before I sell...since so many people base the value on price / ft2. There are often 300 ft2 differences between appraisals...that's $45k-$90k in these markets!
Dr. Venkman
AG
It gets worse. I bring this up in last year's protest in front of the board. The appraiser says they updated the sq.ft. based on their own calculations. I say my wife was home when the appraiser came out and did not let him in the back yard. How did you measure? "We can use satellite imaging." (house is 1 1/2 stories)
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
"We can use satellite imaging."
Ask them to produce the image they used and calculate the dimensions in front of you.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
Yeah, I suppose they could try and pull that but the head appraiser told us they would accept anything from last year as far as closing statements.

I finally got my 2015 value and only went up $8K. Hurray for getting my cost and design classification changed last year!
Last year, they attempted to use time adjustments at informals. The ARB dismissed them completely.

I was glad (and a touch surprised) the informal level appears to have dismissed them as well.
Waltonloads08
AG
my market value went up 48% YoY. about 2/3 is land value and 1/3 improvement. i didnt know the structure itself improved by $60K in 2014.

Unfortunately, Jubally seems to agree with the value to some extent- saying its only over by about $9K.

I'm going to try the iSettle roulette and then go to the ARB afterward if I dont get at least $9K reduction.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
How much higher is your assessment than you paid?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Not for me. Both appraisers I met with dropped it on me. Once they said it I told them to board it.
KW02
AG
quote:
quote:
"We can use satellite imaging."
Ask them to produce the image they used and calculate the dimensions in front of you.
They told me they had imagery (assuming satellite) to determine the condition of my property despite the picture used every year was when it was originally built and lived in by no one.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
It's not satalite but a program called pictometry. It gets updated every 2 or 3 years.
Cru
S
quote:
Not for me. Both appraisers I met with dropped it on me. Once they said it I told them to board it.

One of our mutual acquaintances tried something earlier this year. Asked the appraiser "assume I purchased it this year for 200k. Would you give me that value?".

" yes "

"Why?"

"That is what you purchased it for. "

"OK, so what is the difference? You would not apply a time adjustment if it was my property, why do so when it is a comp?"

"You are right".
Waltonloads08
AG
$143,000
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
$143,000

When did you buy?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:

Lovely.
Waltonloads08
AG
Oct 2013, in 2014 they set value $15k under my purchase price, for whatever reason.
Cru
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can that "something official" be all HCAD statements from previous years? They bumped mine up 300 sq.ft. based on the MLS listing.
No, it can't be HCAD based. Do you have your appraisal?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
Oct 2013, in 2014 they set value $15k under my purchase price, for whatever reason.
You shouldnt have too much trouble getting it in the ball park of what you paid for 2015.
GoAgs92
AG
FBCAD, Trying to file my online protest but the sign in form says, "This Passcode has already been associated to your User" when I put in the Ref code and online protest ID...and I can't get past this screen to file the protest...blargh.

wtf? anyone else have this problem.
Mustang1
AG
No, mine worked as expected. I think you have until 6/12 since they screwed up the original notices.
GoAgs92
AG
doh...it was user error, the protest ID started 2041...I was reading it as 2014...ha.

I fully expect the ol..".you have to come in and do the protest" them thinking I won't show up....oh, I'll be there alright.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
It's June 2nd and I'm still waiting on my appraisal.....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
informal scheduled for 6/9.
Jaydoug
AG
Got one of my houses reduced by 10% back to purchase.

Waiting on my other casa.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Can I take homesnap printouts to informal or do I need something more official?
sts7049
AG
i filed my protest like 5/9 and i still haven't had my informal scheduled.
Post removed:
by user
agmatt06
AG
Still pending for me as well.
LostInLA07
AG
HCAD is having to re-code their software to process the % increase you're about to get hit with.
agmatt06
AG
Mine just came through..up 69,000 from last year.

It now says the taxable amount is more than I paid for the house...blah...time to protest.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
What happens if I just don't show to my informal, I accidentlt scheduled a work meeting the same time... Wasn't expecting to get below my "appraised" anyways?
sawemoffshort07
AG
Had my informal this morning. Went in with my Jubally. He accepted the Jubally number without any push back and said my numbers were a better representative anyway. So I will consider that a small win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.