Houston
Sponsored by

Wendy's lops a half dozen trees on North Blvd. overnight

16,253 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by combat wombat™
AggieDave02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The funny thing about all of this, knowing how the city works, the trees probably had to go in order to install a flood mandated underground detention system. When ordinances squab, yo.

rjamizon
Just to recap:

1. Owner hires contractor to cut down trees
2. Trees are located on city owned property and are valued at approximately $150,000
3. Contractor cuts down trees in the middle of the night hoping nobody will notice.
4. Posters are defending these actions and mocking those who think what the did is wrong, because "treehugger"

Yeah, sounds about like a texags argument.
aggiedent
AG
Well if they didn't get permission from the city and it was on city property, recent history shows the city will go after the land owner for the value of the trees. There have been several examples in the past year or two. Hope cutting down the trees was worth 150k to the owner.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Just to recap:

1. Owner hires contractor to cut down trees
2. Trees are located on city owned property and are valued at approximately $150,000
3. Contractor cuts down trees in the middle of the night hoping nobody will notice.
4. Posters are defending these actions and mocking those who think what the did is wrong, because "treehugger"

Yeah, sounds about like a texags argument.
don't forget the "well there's power lines on the other side of that street so why bother with trees anyway!" argument.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Owner/contractor is ****ed
jetch17
AG
Agproducer snipes another thread? Story coming up on ch13
Stan Crowch
AG
I'm going to start writing fake articles about fake stories for fake threads to see if they get picked up on Channel 13.
Diggity
AG
did you hear about the homeless guy begging for change at 610 & Westheimer?

His signs occasionally predict the future.
combat wombat™
AG
So did they have permit?
Zemira
AG
quote:
So did they have permit?
According to swamplot link a page back they didn't have a permit and the city is pursuing some sort of legal action.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
It's a freaking tree who gives a ****. Stupid Libs.

Sooome folks'll never lose a toe
and then again some folk'll
like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokelllll...
Serotonin
AG
Apparently trees were planted thru citizen funds with Trees for Houston, on CoH property ~15 years ago. No permit was issued, so somebody bout to lose $150k.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Fascinating to me most of the folks going back and forth on this thread were absent the HERO ordinance thread and vice versa.

I suppose everyone has their hit button topic.

rjamizon
quote:
I'm going to start writing fake articles about fake stories for fake threads to see if they get picked up on Channel 13.

http://abc13.com/society/city-trees-destroyed-in-restaurant-remodel/373802/
aggiedent
AG
It may get worse than the fine for the franchise owner. Here is the last line of the ABC article

"Lias Steen, the property owner who leases the land to the restaurant owner, says he sent an email stating, "I am extremely disappointed he took down the trees under cover of darkness ... And I am looking at terminating our lease."
combat wombat™
AG
Thanks, Zemira. I had missed that.
agproducer
AG
Nope. I can't get credit for sniping the story. I saw it on swamplot before seeing the thread. Besides, I usually let you guys know if we are going to pick up the story. Or at least I ask y'all for more info.
sangredevino
Typically contractors cut trees down at night to keep the event under wraps and not bring attention from tree lovers. The city allows this as long as new trees are planted to replace the "caliper" of trees.
YellAg2004
AG
quote:
Typically contractors cut trees down at night to keep the event under wraps and not bring attention from tree lovers. The city allows this as long as new trees are planted to replace the "caliper" of trees.
This. When we had to take down 6 fairly mature oak trees, we started at 11pm on a Monday night. The guys that do the work are crazy fast...as in 6-15"+ trees down, cut up, shredded and hauled off in about 1.5 hours. The goal is to avoid conflicts with tree huggers who would come and cause problems.

That being said, if these guys did it without getting the proper permits/approvals, they're ****ed (and they should be). What will be interesting is all the finger pointing that's probably already occuring between the property owner, franchise owner, remodeling contractor, and tree contractor. I'm sure they're all accusing each other of being responsible for pulling the proper permits to remove the trees.
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
It may get worse than the fine for the franchise owner. Here is the last line of the ABC article

"Lias Steen, the property owner who leases the land to the restaurant owner, says he sent an email stating, "I am extremely disappointed he took down the trees under cover of darkness ... And I am looking at terminating our lease."
Lias appears to be an Aggie.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm still pissed off at the Chevron Station owner at 529 and Eldridge that cut down two mature (probably >50 year old) live oaks to pave that corner and build that eyesore of a gas station/truck stop.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Nope. I can't get credit for sniping the story. I saw it on swamplot before seeing the thread. Besides, I usually let you guys know if we are going to pick up the story. Or at least I ask y'all for more info.
Why did the cow get this story? I'd rather see Pooja's large Desi boobs.
agproducer
AG
quote:
quote:
Why did the cow get this story? I'd rather see Pooja's large Desi boobs.
It's just the way things shook out yesterday. Deb may not be much to look at, but she is a cool person and a great writer.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Deb is awesome. I really enjoy working with her because she's always interested in getting it right and being thorough.
jetch17
AG
POOJA!
BarryProfit
quote:
Deb is awesome. I really enjoy working with her because she's always interested in getting it right and being thorough.

Your opinion is invalidated because you don't care about boobs.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:

Your opinion is invalidated because you don't care about boobs.
You are so wrong you don't even know.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Looks like the City is going after them to the tune of $500,000.
Diggity
AG
good....make it hurt.

I'm not a tree hugging liberal by any means but I hate it when businesses completely disregard the rules in place and then play dumb.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
Looks like the City is going after them to the tune of $500,000.

That's going to sting!

ha ha /Nelson
Jarvis Lemon
quote:
quote:
Remind me -- why are we supposed to care?

Because caring about things such as beauty, nature, and the urban environment is what separates the intelligence & wisdom of man from lesser creatures. I refute the idea that it is a liberal issue..............it's far more an issue of the pride and value we place in our surroundings. It's a reflection of how much we care about ourselves and God's amazing creations.
For liberals, it's borderline life and death. For normal, rational humans, it's just a nuisance and a head scratcher. It kind of p*sses me off. But I can't imagine how a lib feels. They probably feel like 6 humans were killed...just not 6 unborn humans, otherwise, break out the champagne for "women's rights".
Goose
AG
quote:
good....make it hurt.

I'm not a tree hugging liberal by any means but I hate it when businesses completely disregard the rules in place and then play dumb.

Ditto.
Stan Crowch
AG
http://www.houstongovnewsroom.org/go/doc/2155/2420570/
zap
AG
Boom!

$300k
Martin Q. Blank
Does that money go toward replanting them?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.