Houston
Sponsored by

Wendy's lops a half dozen trees on North Blvd. overnight

16,187 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by combat wombat™
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if they had permission from the city from this or not but it's a pretty crappy move on their part.

Swamplot

chico
AG

Martin Q. Blank
I was expecting Wendy Davis.
JJxvi
AG
Who cares. There are utility lines overhead on North Blvd west of Northampton Place. Its never going to look glorious. Wendy's probably planted the trees in the first place.
Diggity
AG
2 awesome arguments!
CrossBowAg99
AG
There are no utility lines on the South side of North Blvd.
I read some rumor that goode company may be buying the lot.
They are really, really, really stupid if they did not have a permit!

The city is probably going to take heat if they gave them a permit
MAROON
AG
maybe the city required the cutting down of the trees to build a sidewalk...
Diggity
AG
You mean they paved paradise to put up a... sidewalk?
MAROON
AG
quote:
You mean they paved paradise to put up a... sidewalk?

progress
Sean_Jones
It's a freaking tree who gives a ****. Stupid Libs.
Diggity
AG
that's it...I'm coming to your house and poisoning all your trees!
Scientific
AG
If they had to be cut down, then they had to be cut down.

utter tackiness if they get replaced with palm trees though.
bonfarr
AG
Did they have to clear trees to build your house?
CrossBowAg99
AG
No
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
It's a freaking tree who gives a ****. Stupid Libs.
I'm not liberal, I care. Most developers make little to no effort to work around mature trees.
Catch
AG
The city has landscaping requirements. Not exactly sure what they are, but before any permits are approved the landscaping plans have to meet those requirements. As long as the new landscaping plans met thier requirements they likely stamped them approved without thinking about the existing landscaping. Then again, the trees may have been professionally removed and re-planted elseware to keep them from dying during the construction only to be replanted later.
CrossBowAg99
AG
The COH arborist must approve the removal of any tree in public ROW that gets removed by a developer.

There are mitigation requirements based on the diameter of the tree and species.

If I remember correctly, the mitigation to remove those trees would be +$10k.

Mitigation means that you pay trees for Houston to plant new trees elsewhere.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Then again, the trees may have been professionally removed and re-planted elseware to keep them from dying during the construction only to be replanted later.

Catch, look at the 2nd photo, you can see the stump frkm where the tree stood in the first photo.
JYDog90
AG
They cut them down for a Thnead factory.
Captain Pablo
AG
Remind me -- why are we supposed to care?
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:
Then again, the trees may have been professionally removed and re-planted elseware to keep them from dying during the construction only to be replanted later.

Catch, look at the 2nd photo, you can see the stump frkm where the tree stood in the first photo.

Ah! Yeah, I see. So definitely not saving them.
JJxvi
AG
quote:

Because North Blvd!!!!!
Martin Q. Blank
We're supposed to care because oaks that old look pretty and take decades to replace. Chopping them down like they're some $10 crepe myrtle is insulting. Caring about the beautification already in place (and took decades to establish) is not the same as liberal tree huggers caring about clear cutting a forest for lumber or paper. Look at China and Russia. Both communist and the whole country is built out of concrete.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I drove by last night on my way to the Dillo, hardly noticeable
aggiedent
AG
quote:

Because caring about things such as beauty, nature, and the urban environment is what separates the intelligence & wisdom of man from lesser creatures. I refute the idea that it is a liberal issue..............it's far more an issue of the pride and value we place in our surroundings. It's a reflection of how much we care about ourselves and God's amazing creations.
Captain Pablo
AG
Martin,

So people should be outraged over 5 or 6 oak trees, but have no problem with cutting tens of thousands of acres of old growth forest for paper?

Good grief, It's just a couple of trees

You'll get over it. Go to Wal Mart and buy some live oaks and stick em in the ground somewhere

Also, was this on private property?
Captain Pablo
AG
dent,

Haha! So God's creations should be protected but only in an urban environment?

Where were you when all the forests were being leveled in east Texas? Isn't that God's creation too? How many trees are killed in east Texas each year for lumber and paper? How many trees and plants are killed simply to clear a path for timber and natural gas trucks? How many deer, birds, rabbits, and other creatures are displaced or killed by timber companies?

What all was killed when your house was built?
Captain Pablo
AG
You guys have been choking on city smog too long if you're outraged over a handful of oak trees, becasue you think that somehow qualifies as "nature"

Get out more
Captain Pablo
AG
Bonfire anyone?
Stan Crowch
AG
Chop em all down I say. ITL land is expensive and trees don't pay the rent.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
Martin,

So people should be outraged over 5 or 6 oak trees, but have no problem with cutting tens of thousands of acres of old growth forest for paper?

Good grief, It's just a couple of trees

You'll get over it. Go to Wal Mart and buy some live oaks and stick em in the ground somewhere

Also, was this on private property?
I own land with harvested trees. So yes, there is a big difference between harvesting trees for lumber and paper, and cutting down old oaks for beautification.
Martin Q. Blank
The OP can probably attest that neighborhoods with mature trees is more desirable than those with 1 year old twigs. There's a reason for that.
Captain Pablo
AG
Haha!

I like trees. I like nature. I don't want trees cut down or animals killed doing it. But hey.

I just don't get bent out of shape over a handful of trees getting hacked in the middle of town, and I sure don't buy the markish "it's nature" crapola while being indifferent to the millions of plants and animals killed everyday for the Starbucks you plop down at, for the paper you write on, for the plastic you tap when you rant on TexAgs, and for the electricity you use when you charge your tablet for, you know, more ranting on TexAgs

Ignoring that but having a stroke over an oak tree in town is silly. I get it. One you see on your drive to work, the other you don't. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hilarious
Captain Pablo
AG
Martin,

Why is it different? Because you make money off of yours, but want to look at someone else's for free?

So you kill plants and animals all the time, though, right? But it's Ok because you get paid for it, right?

Are any of those plants, trees, and animals "mature?
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
One you see on your drive to work, the other you don't.

Correct. Now I don't get to see them.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.