Houston
Sponsored by

Wendy's lops a half dozen trees on North Blvd. overnight

16,232 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by combat wombat™
rjamizon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good.
combat wombat™
AG
Hopefully. But even if not, it serves as an important deterrent to developers to think first and cut later.
Tom Hagen
AG
So, the land between the sidewalk and the street belongs to the city. How about the sidewalk itself?
JYDog90
AG
quote:
Does that money go toward replanting them?
I think it goes to underwriting the Houston Proud Parade.

I keed, I keed.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
So, the land between the sidewalk and the street belongs to the city. How about the sidewalk itself?
Generally, yes, the land to the back of the side walk is owned by the city or is an easement.
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
My understanding (I have not read the settlement) is that they have to pay $300K AND replace the trees.
DrZ
AG
I am having a hard time believing these trees were 20 years old. If they are they weren't healthy. I suspect Wendy's planted them when they built the store. There are a few scattered trees that appear various ages along Kirby but most look younger. To call these old growth is a huge stretch.
zap
AG
Anything that survives in Houston for 20 years without being torn down is ancient.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
I am having a hard time believing these trees were 20 years old. If they are they weren't healthy.

They are exactly like typical live oaks 20 years after planting.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
  • The Live Oak tree grows around 2-2.5 feet per year when young.

combat wombat™
AG
Those oak trees were planted in a median, paved all around except for a small strip of soil. While the could certainly grow and survive there, I do not imagine they were planted in an ideal spot.

Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Those oak trees were planted in a median, paved all around except for a small strip of soil. While the could certainly grow and survive there, I do not imagine they were planted in an ideal spot.

Neither North nor Kirby are boulevard sections at that location. There are no medians.
zap
AG
quote:
The City of Houston moved quickly to reach a damages settlement in connection with the unpermitted elimination of oak trees from the public right-of-way at 5003 Kirby Drive. The trees were chopped down in the middle of the night as part of a construction project near the corner of Kirby and North Boulevard. With the $300,000 settlement reached last Friday, the City has recovered more than $1 million for improperly removed trees this year, which is unprecedented.

"Our trees are valuable resources and their preservation is important to the city," said Mayor Parker. "We have a fair process for developers, but when they violate our policies we will not hesitate to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

The $300,000 settlement for the four oak trees ranging in size from 10 to 20 inches in diameter was reached within less than three weeks and was based on the value of the removed trees.

"We are pleased with how quickly we were able to resolve this with the developer and the amount received in reparations, but we are also hopeful that this will further drive home the point that the City will not stand idly by when trees are improperly removed from our right-of-way (ROW) and that developers who do so will be met with swift, punitive legal action."

The Kirby Drive and North Boulevard Oaks had been planted by Trees for Houston volunteers acting on behalf of the Boulevard Oaks Civic Association more than a decade ago.

combat wombat™
AG
By "median" I mean the strip of grass between the street and the parking lot. I am sure I used the wrong terminology.
chico
AG
The ones on Bayland have done quite well after 100 years on that sidewalk strip
ElectricAg1
AG
quote:
Not sure if they had permission from the city from this or not but it's a pretty crappy move on their part.

Swamplot

Well you could have bought the land and saved the trees. Instead you want to b*tch about what others do with their land.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure if they had permission from the city from this or not but it's a pretty crappy move on their part.

Swamplot

Well you could have bought the land and saved the trees. Instead you want to b*tch about what others do with their land.
Actually, we're *****ing because they cut down trees in the public right of way.

And, btw, I am surprised at the number of people who appear not to understand the aesthetic impact trees have on their surrounding environment.
hurricanejake02
AG
Hey look! It's the angry people that read the first post of a 4 page thread and throw up an angry response.
RK
AG
that money will go directly where it is most needed...to add another 8" to the east side light rail.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
that money will go directly where it is most needed...to add another 8" to the east side light rail.
I've got 8" I can give you.
RK
AG
pecan log?
aggiedent
AG
From trees to sexual harassment threats .............and it's not even the politics board.
combat wombat™
AG
Oh lawdie, Ryan's offering to give guys hardwood.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.