Houston
Sponsored by

Wendy's lops a half dozen trees on North Blvd. overnight

16,238 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by combat wombat™
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK then. Purely self serving

The deciding factors in justifying killing plants and animals are:
1. Do I make money off it?
2. Does it make my drive to work more pleasant?

Hey man. At least you admit it!
Martin Q. Blank
Oaks planted along a street are not there for function!
BarryProfit
After reading this thread I hope more trees are cut down.
aggiedent
AG
Captain Pablo,

You sure put a lot of words in my mouth and jumped to a lot of conclusions. I think we need to clear a few things up. So lets go one by one.

Where did I say "only" in an urban environment? I didn't. I said urban environment because that's what we were talking about. Many people, especially ITL developers in Houston, treat trees with little respect. That statement is supported by the number of developers who cut down trees without city permission. I believe trees deserve great respect.

quote:
Where were you when all the forests were being leveled in east Texas?

Uh......not yet born since all the first growth forests were cut by the 1920s. That said my wife and I are east Texas folk who know the Temple (Temple-Inland) family quite well. The Temple family are responsible for saving/donating thousands of acres of long-leaf pine property. The Temple foundation is a very conservation minded entity that has donated millions of dollars to conservation. Furthermore............my wife sold a lucrative business to work for east Texas conservation causes. She's the one that banded together east Texas land owners along the Neches River to successfully fight the city of Dallas' plans to build a reservoir and flood thousands of acres of hard wood bottomlands. She has even written a book published by A&M press about the Neches River. You won't find too many people in Texas who have done more to save trees and habitat than my wife.

As to the rest of your questions.............well..............they're just more of the same nonsense really.
rjamizon
Yeah I am definitely not a liberal, and I participated enough in off campus bonfire to cut down a few trees, and this makes me angry. I wouldn't have gone to Wendy's anyway but I'll make it a point to not go now.
JJxvi
AG
LMAO. Stay strong!
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Had the Greenbriar exit off 59N been open last night at 9:30 pm, I never would have stumbled across thisthe worst case of arborcide I've personally witnessed. When my car's headlights swept across the SE corner of Kirby and North Boulevard, I immediately noticed an absence and felt a profound "disturbance in the field" if you know what I mean. I pulled over, and when I opened my car door the insane, insistent screams of several chainsaws brrrzzzzzing at once filled my ears and the (once, to me) lovely scent of freshly cut healthy oak filled the air. I was deranged by the arrogant insanity confronting me, I was almost blinded by confusion. Another man (who seemed sane) was photographing and said "They've already got 6 of them," when he walked by me to get in his car.
I started shouting at everyone to "Stop" and then shouting in Spanish to the men clambering in and out of the huge "cage" landscaping trailers which held the limbs and trunks of murdered live oaks, but they kept working in the dark, sawing down into the accumulated body parts of trees in order to compact the piling limbs and foliage, their heads hung in shame. (I am still stunned by what I witnessed last night, but grateful that I didn't witness the maiming of a worker moving so fast with a whirring chainsaw, standing alongside another tree-dissector on top of limbs piled and shifting in a trailer, in total darkness. It was crazily dangerous and certainly not OSHA approved.)
I took pictures and video I until my iPhone died.
The crew bosswho self-identified as Freddy, of Freddy's Landscaping and Moreapproached me and wanted to know why I was taking pictures. I could barely speak. I asked him who hired him and did he realize there was a hefty fine for cutting street trees. I was insistent. He got his "boss" on the line and nonchalantly handed his cellphone to me. I couldn't hear well through the whine of chainsaws, but I believe this man's name was "Brock". When I demanded whether he had a permit to cut the trees, he replied, "Hey, Lady, I'm just the contractor." I asked who hired him and he very clearlyspelling it outsaid "Haza Foods."
I drove away, grabbed a neighbor and civic club leader and went back to the scene. We called 311, we called the police, we documented the decimation as well as we could (it was very dark.) My neighbor knew more than I did about the City ordinance and told Freddy what the fine could possibly be (if you measured all the "caliper inches" of the stumps) and he said (this is a DIRECT quote) "Go aheadfine me! They'll pay me back, and more!"
We waited for HPD while Freddy and his crew cleaned up all but the largest stumps and trunks and left. A HPD Sergeant responded and did take a police report.
When I got home I sent the pictures to as many neighbors as I could, and to the Chronicle tip linescitydesk@chron.com, neighborhoods@chron.com, and kathy.huber@chron.com.
This morning I made "DO NOT CUT THIS TREE" signs and attached them to two remaining trees with packing tape around their trunks. One of the men working on the site yelled, "Get a life, lady!" and when I asked a worker nearby why those trees had to go he said, "They f@#$ up the concrete."

This is my favorite swamplot comment on the article so far.
Stan Crowch
AG
That lady needs a hobby really ****ing bad.
agnerd
AG
I think I'm taking the contractor's side just because he said the trees f-ed up the concrete. I believe it's the landowner's responsibility to maintian sidewalks in Houston. If the trees are messing up the sidewalks and I'm required by the city to repair them, you can bet that the problem tree will meet a quick and mysterious death. If the city was willing to maintain sidewalks, then I'd have a problem with removing the trees. But as-is, I think anyone should be allowed to remove trees in the ROW until the city is willing to maintain the sidewalks.
Diggity
AG
does the city actually go after these businesses for "maintaining" the sidewalks?

If so, that's news to me.
Stan Crowch
Stan Crowch
AG
http://swamplot.com/city-reportedly-planning-legal-action-against-kirby-dr-wendys-late-night-tree-whackers/2014-10-30/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+%28Swamplot%3A+Houston%27s+Real+Estate+Landscape%29
DCC99
AG
The Lorax was a terrible movie.
Diggity
AG
just a silly move by the property owner.

Anyone with an ounce of foresight would have known that this would produce blow-back.
Stan Crowch
AG
They could have torn down all the trees they wanted in the 5th Ward.
Scientific
AG
If there were legitimate reasons for them to be taken down, people will have to accept it. I can understand some of the out cry though. The city's motto should be "out with the old, in with the new" with how much we tear down. Those trees had been there forever, and suddenly get cut down?
Diggity
AG
They could have torn down people's homes in the 5th Ward and gotten less ire than they will from the Boulevard Oaks people. Just look how rabid they got over the Ashby.
Diggity
AG
quote:
if there were legitimate reasons for them to be taken down, people will have to accept it.
I would imagine they would have gotten city approval and not done this overnight if they had legitimate reasons.
DCC99
AG
quote:
Those trees had been there forever, and suddenly get cut down?
Forever? Uh, no. Nice trees? Yes. But it's not like they were 100, or even 50-year old specimens.
Stan Crowch
AG
They really could have torn down homes in the nickel and gotten less ****.....dis gon be gud.
Velvet Jones
AG
JJxvi
AG
The trees were put in 20 years ago.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
just a silly move by the property owner.

Anyone with an ounce of foresight would have known that this would produce blow-back.
Sometimes the blowback is worth the price. A couple of people get up in arms for a few years and maybe you get rid of some trees that are a pain in your plan.
Diggity
AG
I would agree with that.

I'm just not sure why the trees were such a pain for them.
RoadGunner
houston is ugly as f--- and mature trees are the city's only saving grace with regards to natural beauty. F the property owner
JJxvi
AG
"We're here at one of the beautiful scenes in Houston, TX. The majesty of the beautiful 7 inch oaks, carefully counterbalancing the utility poles overhanging the other side of the street and framing beautiful North Blvd as it runs between a Jeep dealership and a fast food restaurant. Simply mesmeri...OMG that guys got a chainsaw! What are you doi...oh NOOOOOooooooooooooo!"
JJxvi
AG
I hope they get fined. I care a little more about this now that I know that they weren't permitted. I hope lawbreakers get punished, but my care that these particular trees got cut down is zero.
Martin Q. Blank
It must be greater than zero as you posted on this thread more than zero times.
JJxvi
AG
There is a logical fallacy in your argument. My posting on this thread might mean that I care about making fun of treehuggers, or that I like posting on message boards. Maybe I just love Wendy's and will brook no negative publicity to a beloved fast food franchise. It doesnt necessarily come from any concern over these poor, dearly departed trees. Perhaps I just like posting on texags in general. My first post on this topic begins "Who cares?"
Martin Q. Blank
You do.
JJxvi
AG
You're repeating yourself.
Martin Q. Blank
It's true. Otherwise you wouldn't be going to great lengths to prove to us how much you don't care. It's obvious.
JJxvi
AG
Will you post the same thing again every time I post on this thread?
Al Bula
AG
Wendy's f cking sucks. The proprietor should be fined out the ass just for opening that crap hole. Anyone eating there should be fined as well.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
Will you post the same thing again every time I post on this thread?
If the shoe fits.

(which it does)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.