BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

219,784 Views | 1038 Replies | Last: 44 min ago by PS3D
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chicken Oil has submitted site plans for their remodel:

https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/SDRC/2024%20SDRC/04-23-2024/SP24-25,%20Chicken%20Oil%20Revised,%2004-23-24.pdf

KBTX story:

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/24/south-college-avenue-undergoing-major-changes/

Quote:

The City of Bryan Site Development Review Committee is also looking at developments around the City of Bryan including plans to rebuild the Chicken Oil Company. New site plans for the building that burned two years ago this month were on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting of the Site Development Review Committee.

The plan to reconstruct Bryan's Chicken Oil Company was on the agenda of the City's Site Development Review Committee.

The project could mean some major renovations for Chicken Oil Company.

The Marketing Director for Dixie Chicken Inc. sent KBTX a statement over email regarding their plans for the local favorite.

"We are working diligently to get started. Our goal is to repair and modify what is necessary while maintaining as much of the original structure as possible. We want to thank the community for the support that we've received since we've been closed. The phone calls and messages we get daily remind us why we're working so hard to get back open as soon as possible."

The City of Bryan is excited for this South College landmark to be reopened.

"The Chicken Oil Company is actually an approved site plan, we have issued building permits. So they are extremely excited, as are we to get going on the necessary renovations and modifications to the site to get re-opened," said Lauren Hovde, Development Administrator with the City of Bryan.
BCStalk

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Great news on Chicken Oil. It had honestly kinda slipped off my radar from how long it's been.
Rex Racer
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Chicken Oil has submitted site plans for their remodel:

https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/SDRC/2024%20SDRC/04-23-2024/SP24-25,%20Chicken%20Oil%20Revised,%2004-23-24.pdf

KBTX story:

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/24/south-college-avenue-undergoing-major-changes/

Quote:

The City of Bryan Site Development Review Committee is also looking at developments around the City of Bryan including plans to rebuild the Chicken Oil Company. New site plans for the building that burned two years ago this month were on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting of the Site Development Review Committee.

The plan to reconstruct Bryan's Chicken Oil Company was on the agenda of the City's Site Development Review Committee.

The project could mean some major renovations for Chicken Oil Company.

The Marketing Director for Dixie Chicken Inc. sent KBTX a statement over email regarding their plans for the local favorite.

"We are working diligently to get started. Our goal is to repair and modify what is necessary while maintaining as much of the original structure as possible. We want to thank the community for the support that we've received since we've been closed. The phone calls and messages we get daily remind us why we're working so hard to get back open as soon as possible."

The City of Bryan is excited for this South College landmark to be reopened.

"The Chicken Oil Company is actually an approved site plan, we have issued building permits. So they are extremely excited, as are we to get going on the necessary renovations and modifications to the site to get re-opened," said Lauren Hovde, Development Administrator with the City of Bryan.

Good news! Glad to see a local staple re-building!
mgj.23
AG
Please check out my book. I reached out to you a few years ago regarding the use of photographs. Thank you for the contributions!

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/NFDSUFvTuJi5Q1kU/?mibextid=K35XfP

Fan
S
EBrazosAg said:

Credit surcharge is a no-go for me. A unpublicized one is a double no go. I can get having a minimum credit card number. But not the surcharge in today's world.
That was our big gripe when we went to Ronin. There was a credit card surcharge, but it wasn't indicated on the menu or on their website.

I have a problem with the new expectation that customers will cover what I believe is a business expense. If a restaurant is going to do it I wish they would offer a cash discount. I know it's just semantics, but it would somehow be easier to swallow.

The practice has really caught on, even at some higher end, higher priced restaurants. B&B Butchers in Houston is adding a surcharge for credit cards. That means I'll go elsewhere, because I don't like the thought of having to carry around several hundred dollars in cash just to pay for dinner.
Dumbfounded
I don't know what the answer is that would satisfy both customers and small businesses as businesses try to survive the current economy. I do know that small businesses/restaurants are being squeezed in many directions w increased cost.

I spoke with a local (BCS) restaurant owner and his insurance went up $15k (I don't know the % increase). I also spoke with a bar owner that said their liquor liability insurance increased 140% from last years premium.

Continually increasing prices to cover the cost increases will also drive customers away.

Spec's offers a 5% discount if you use your debit card vs a CC. Maybe more businesses should consider this model?
PS3D
mgj.23 said:

Please check out my book. I reached out to you a few years ago regarding the use of photographs. Thank you for the contributions!

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/NFDSUFvTuJi5Q1kU/?mibextid=K35XfP

(Email sent earlier.)

In other news...
- I'm not sure if Chicken Oil Co. would be the same since the original people that ran it are functionally gone. A hamburger restaurant that says Chicken Oil Company, has a similar menu (if more expensive), and a modified building may not be enough to save it long term.
- I tried Roni's Mac Bar. They salvaged a lot of Which Wich fixtures, and the macaroni was disappointing (not a lot of topping choices) but it seemed to be relatively popular with students.
EBrazosAg
AG
Correct. Build in CC and discount for cash or debit. I'm fine with that
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiegolf86
AG
Is Coco Shrimp still coming to cs? anyone know when they are opening
BCSAg19
AG
I've heard July is the ETA. Century Square will be the location
TyHolden
AG
Varsity Grill lights were on earlier. This is gonna be me. They're gonna name a bar seat after me.

gigem92
AG
For your sake, I hope their beer doesn't have that much foam. Looks to me like Norm is getting ripped off.
maroon barchetta
gigem92 said:

For your sake, I hope their beer doesn't have that much foam. Looks to me like Norm is getting ripped off.

Norm never paid for anything.

bushytailed
AG
Per KBTX, La Bodega is going into the former Mad Taco location in South CS!
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

gigem92 said:

Norm never paid for anything.
that's my kind of bar
FlyRod
bushytailed said:

The $9 tilapia taco is back! I kid I kid, best of luck to them.
maroon barchetta
bushytailed said:

French toast tower for breakfast better be on the weekend menu.
Visor
AG
Still bummed Mad Taco flopped. Loved that place
EBrazosAg
AG
Not sure it flopped. There are other reasons folks walk away
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Visor
AG
Yeah we went a lot - overall just never had a line and wasn't busy. Might not be a flop - but didn't feel like it ever really got over the hump
FlyRod
Naked Fish is done.
Costa and Andreas
bushytailed said:

Hi all thanks for the commentary and engagement! Firstly, I will give well wishes to my good friends/brother and sister law Peter and Tara Madden as they move on to the next stage of their lives. We have been friends/family for 30+ years.

We have been very patient over the last 10 years to wait for both the correct opportunity for La Bodega and also to have a presence in Tower Point for one of our concepts. This opportunity presented and immediately appeared to check both of those boxes. It will take around 90 days to obtain a Mixed Beverage permit from the TABC so we are targeting an early August opening.

The new iteration has the addition of a drive thru. We will likely address that, along with weekend brunch and/or breakfast in phases in an effort to master each facet of menu and service before the next hurdle. We will be moving the strawberry tart operation from the Holleman Mojo location to La Bodega. The tart will still be available at both mojos going forward fyi.

Be on the lookout for many old favorites, but also, we will be bringing in quite a few new items as the demos in S. College Station are much different than they were in Northgate.

We are thankful for the opportunity.

Cheers
maroon barchetta
I want the old wait staff from 2007-2011 era La Bodega. They were our favorites and my kids loved them!

Yeah, they are all old and married now, but they can still come back and pick up some shifts.
Crawdaddy
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

Be on the lookout for many old favorites, but also, we will be bringing in quite a few new items as the demos in S. College Station are much different than they were in Northgate.

Cheers

JMO but that northgate demo may be grown up now but that demo still wants SHAKERS!

Cheers!
JMac03
AG
Ineed we do.
halibut sinclair
Bring back La Taqueria!
Costa and Andreas
Crawdaddy said:

Costa and Andreas said:

bushytailed said:

Cheers

JMO but that northgate demo may be grown up now but that demo still wants SHAKERS!

Cheers!

LOL there can BE no La Bodega without the shakers! We would be crazy not to have some of the old ones and of course some new ones.

We are reading everything people are saying and taking note.
Costa and Andreas
halibut sinclair said:

Bring back La Taqueria!

Alas La Taq was Donnie and Cheryl's concept, not ours. I was a young pizza cook at Cafe Eccell at that time and then they decided to close soon after.
trouble
AG
I scrolled back and didn't see it so I'll mention, the Five Below at the Tejas center opened this past Saturday.
trouble
AG
New hot dog place coming this summer. No mention of where in CS.

Tailgate88
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Bring back La Taqueria!

So many great memories of brunch at La Taq. But definitely thrilled that La Bodega will be in our neck of the woods soon!
FlyRod
Whacked Out Weiners? Did dufflepud come up with this one after his thwarted attempt at branding a new chicken finger outlet?
trouble
AG
Probably.

The pearl clutching on Rusty's post about it is very entertaining.
PS3D
Summer of '24? Better act quick...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.