BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

218,974 Views | 1032 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by NotJPMorgan
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Apparently Murphy's Law has been seized by the state for failure to pay taxes.
Just like the Sock. Common theme I guess.
Dumbfounded
Any news on the Bavarian Brauhaus? Same owner?
BulldAg99
AG
Dumbfounded said:

Any news on the Bavarian Brauhaus? Same owner?

That would suck, I love that place.
trouble
AG
Haven't heard yet. I didn't know exactly how the business is structured
textar4404
Heard last night it was both.
JMac03
AG
Per Rusty's FB post in the comments, its both.
ForteAg12
AG
trouble said:

Man, anything that can happen, will happen.
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

Oh man that sucks. If anyone needs covid money, it's the bars. I'm sure there's billions sitting around somewhere. SAVE OUR BARS!!!
trouble
AG
This was due to not paying sales and beverage taxes they collected. Over $162K worth of it. That'll get you every time.
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

This was due to not paying sales and beverage taxes they collected. Over $162K worth of it. That'll get you every time.
Save
Our
Bars

TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

What was the name of the guy that owned the cajun steak place in Austin/RoundRock/Lakeway that committed suicide and killed his wife over taxes? That was my favorite steak in the world. Gumbos I think.

edit: It was Gumbos and Mama Roux....
EBrazosAg
AG
The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Sad - yes. Reality- yes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Gumbo's and Mama roux weren't owned by the same people.

It was the Mama roux guy who killed his wife and himself. Pretty sure gumbo's only closed because the owners (who are alive and well) were ready to retire.
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

Gumbo's and Mama roux weren't owned by the same people.

It was the Mama roux guy who killed his wife and himself. Pretty sure gumbo's only closed because the owners (who are alive and well) were ready to retire.

https://www.diningoutwithrobbalon.com/austin-restaurant-community-mourns-passing-of-yoli-and-michael-amr/

Quote:

Stunning and devastating news from Round Rock this morning. Two of my favorite people in the Austin restaurant community, Yoli and Michael Amr, the founders of the original Gumbo's and current owners of Mama Roux on Parmer Lane were found dead in their Round Rock home. Early indications point to a murder suicide.

Maybe not. The founder of the original, which I'm guessing is the downtown location. The one downtown was great. It shared a space with a bar. The one in Lakeway sucked. Never went to the one in RR.
BiochemAg97
AG
Gumbo's in Round Rock moved to Georgetown due to 620 construction (land was acquired). That was different owners than the other location(s). Been a while since I chatted with the Gumbo's North owner about that. It might have been different owners at each location.

Georgetown owners wanted to retire so that location is closed.
bushytailed
AG
Mochinut has a soft opening today. Friend brought us some of the mochi doughnuts. I'm kind of meh on them. Didn't try the corn dogs though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I know this was talked about before, but this is what is going in the old FedEX location in Northgate (next to the Methodist church)

https://akisteakandsushi.com/
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I know this was talked about before, but this is what is going in the old FedEX location in Northgate (next to the Methodist church)

Another Atami…
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Ten years ago I would never have thought the day would come when I would say this but... the sushi market is nearly oversaturated...
Captn_Ag05
AG
They would be smart to be open late for the post bar crowd.
trouble
AG
I liked the one in RR. I always thought the Gtown location was too crowded.
woodiewood
EBrazosAg said:

The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Said - yes. Reality- yes.
I I was a current or former employee, ASAP I would go to the Social Security web site and get an update of my account to see if they restaurant was paying both their share and your withholdings SS tax as well as the Medicare tax to the government.

I post this as years ago when my wife lost her job due to an equipment business going belly up, when I checked they had not been sending any money into SS. but they had been withholding it from her paycheck. She was just SOL on it for the two years.

If they haven't, and I have no clue either way, if I was an employee, I would file against them asap.
classicdoug
AG
EBrazosAg said:

The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Sad - yes. Reality- yes.
I really liked the food at Bavarian Brauhaus. It was one of my go to places in downtown Bryan. I'm shocked that people think they can get away with not paying taxes and thinking they can just keep doing business that way.
TyHolden
AG
classicdoug said:

EBrazosAg said:

I really liked the food at Bavarian Brauhaus. It was one of my go to places in downtown Bryan. I'm shocked that people think they can get away with not paying taxes and thinking they can just keep doing business that way.
I took a leak next to Gary Blair at Murphy's about a year ago. It's been the highlight of my BCS stay. Other than shaking Nuno's hand. Not after taking a leak of course.
trouble
AG
Murphy's Law is back open. Apparently the owner paid what was owed in full today.

So clearly, he has the money. Why not pay it when it's due?
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

Murphy's Law is back open. Apparently the owner paid what was owed in full today.

So clearly, he has the money. Why not pay it when it's due?
Because the bookies get the money first....
EBrazosAg
AG
True. The Feds never kneecap you. Bookies might.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
EBrazosAg said:

True. The Feds never kneecap you. Bookies might.
woodiewood
I don't see the new convenince store on the corner of Holleman and Welsh being built. It appears to be a convenience store and two other tenant spaces.

That's a great location for an update from the small original one as there isn't a gas station within six or eight blocks and there's a lot of home and apartments.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Massage Envy in tower point is closing, per Rusty.
PS3D
woodiewood said:

I don't see the new convenince store on the corner of Holleman and Welsh being built. It appears to be a convenience store and two other tenant spaces.

That's a great location for an update from the small original one as there isn't a gas station within six or eight blocks and there's a lot of home and apartments.

I've looked up and down for information about this gas station and can't find much on it.
MiMi
S
Taste of the Tropics in the Jones Crossing HEB opens Thursday, April 4 at 10am
TyHolden
AG
techno-ag
AG
TyHolden said:

April fools.
maroon barchetta
VOLCANOOOOO!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.