BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

218,956 Views | 1032 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by NotJPMorgan
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While tu ag and I do not agree on everything, I will defend him in that he does not hate people. He is a kind and generous man who cares deeply for his fellow man.

And now back to coming and going.
Bones2012
AG
Fence is up and they are starting the preliminary demolition for the new hi rise on the corner of wellborn and university.
TyHolden
AG
When is Varsity Grill supposed to be finished?
Hornbeck
Tailgate88 said:

Can we please stop the derail and get back to comings and goings?

No! Let's derail the thread and complain about townies, because no one in the Aggieland board knows about townies.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It looks like work has kicked off on the old Albertson's on University.
TyHolden
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

It looks like work has kicked off on the old Albertson's on University.

What is being built next to it? Closer to Republic.
trouble
AG
Like near 5 guys? I think it's a ramen place

Did we mention that the Starbucks on Texas closer to downtown is now open?
happyinBCS
the old muffler shop
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I think I saw it's a new hotel. The site with the tower crane?
trouble
AG
Yes, that one.
Crawdaddy
AG
At one point it was Crunch(gym), hotel, and REI all going up right around there. Hope REI is still in the works!
kraut
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

I think I saw it's a new hotel. The site with the tower crane?
I believe that's where a Drury Hotel is going.
trouble
AG
That's going into the old Randall's/Albertsons building.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe the StayApt Suites on University in Bryan (across from Veterans Park in that cluster of hotels) is now open.
PS3D
Bones2012 said:

Fence is up and they are starting the preliminary demolition for the new hi rise on the corner of wellborn and university.
Guessing that building where Church Street Blues and BBQ (and briefly CALZ, possibly the shortest-lived restaurant in the history of College Station) is getting razed, right?

Also some other notes:
- It does not look like ANY work has been done on Chicken Oil and no updates from Facebook in six months. Some of the burned parts are still visible from the exterior (look on the kitchen side)
- The new gas station at Holleman and Welsh seems to be going up but I can't find out what it's supposed to be (brand, c-store, etc.).
- Mochinut is currently hiring.
Thisguy1
I was told by someone with knowledge of the financial situation of Chicken Oil that when it burned down they'd be shocked if they ever opened again. I know what's been said since then but it wasn't that long ago I was told that.
Bucketrunner
If they aren't going to reopen, I'd love to have a chance to buy that Fina Oil sign.
halibut sinclair
Thisguy1 said:

I was told by someone with knowledge of the financial situation of Chicken Oil that when it burned down they'd be shocked if they ever opened again. I know what's been said since then but it wasn't that long ago I was told that.
There was a video on social media a few months ago of some company replacing the old menu where you order with video boards.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Thisguy1 said:

There was a video on social media a few months ago of some company replacing the old menu where you order with video boards.

If I remember correctly, that was a reposted video from before the fire.

ETA: https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3353147/68

Clicking on the FB link shows the video to be taken down. My memory is there was comment on that video on FB that it was a repost from before.
halibut sinclair
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

halibut sinclair said:

Thisguy1 said:

If true, that sucks! I don't recall video menus there before the fire, and we went frequently.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Had Cinaholic this morning. It's sooooo soo good!

T&P for my A1C and weight
t-rex
AG
TyHolden said:

When is Varsity Grill supposed to be finished?
Late April last I heard
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Mr.Short-termMemory said:

halibut sinclair said:

Thisguy1 said:

If true, that sucks! I don't recall video menus there before the fire, and we went frequently.

It's off-season. Found the "menu monitors" were installed around January 2022, about 3 months before the fire.

woodiewood
PS3D said:

Bones2012 said:

Guessing that building where Church Street Blues and BBQ (and briefly CALZ, possibly the shortest-lived restaurant in the history of College Station) is getting razed, right?

Also some other notes:
- It does not look like ANY work has been done on Chicken Oil and no updates from Facebook in six months. Some of the burned parts are still visible from the exterior (look on the kitchen side)
- The new gas station at Holleman and Welsh seems to be going up but I can't find out what it's supposed to be (brand, c-store, etc.).
- Mochinut is currently hiring.
It' obviously a C-Store with a few other leased spaces. With Park Cleaners closed, a dry cleaner drop/pickup location there might work well? More than likely a commercial kitchen in the C-Store and also a pizza place and liquor store as tenants.
Tailgate88
AG
Signage up for Fitch on 6 Liquors in the little strip center next to the Exxon at … Fitch & 6. "Comming [sic] soon!"
happyinBCS
don't see how any liquor store can stay in business with Total wine here
Hornbeck
Tailgate88 said:

Signage up for Fitch on 6 Liquors in the little strip center next to the Exxon at … Fitch & 6. "Comming [sic] soon!"

So, I guess the Mexican place is out
trouble
AG
There's plenty of us who don't shop at Total Wine
Tailgate88
AG
Not there - the newer strip center with Xotic and Bubbie's kolaches next door.
Hornbeck
Tailgate88 said:

Oh, gotcha.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Parking is going to slowly stifle any business that wish to thrive.

Has anyone shopped at Xotic? Bubbies is alright for Kolsches but they sell all the good ones wayyyy fast.
maroon barchetta
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Tailgate88 said:

Parking is going to slowly stifle any business that wish to thrive.

Has anyone shopped at Xotic? Bubbies is alright for Kolsches but they sell all the good ones wayyyy fast.

I'm too old to shop at Xotic

Hornbeck
Same.
<oldman yells at cloud meme>
maroon barchetta
I would look like an old guy trying too hard to be hip in their bro prints.

And I would be required to buy a pair of white framed Oakleys.
FlyRod
Update on Vino Boheme: stopped in briefly today and was told they are open until March, and then they are "events only." At some point later, a "high end cocktail bar" is moving into that space. That's all I know. So at least we have the rest of the month to enjoy it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.