BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

219,844 Views | 1040 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Captn_Ag05
honey_badger_99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They have the same sign there as all the other locations, so I hope so!
halibut sinclair
Captn_Ag05 said:

Roni's Mac Bar will open on Saturday, April 20 (4/20)
And close on 11/20.
bcstx06
Captn_Ag05 said:

With Varsity Grill House (nearing completion) and the recently announced Bubbas and La-z-Boy, the bypass is starting to fill in.

That's not the same Varsity restaurant as the ones in the Atlanta area is it?
trouble
AG
Does not appear to be
Tailgate88
AG
No. New concept and this is the first location.

https://www.varsitygrillhouse.com/about-us
Visor
AG
OH dang - definitely thought it was related to the other varsity restaurants
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Visor said:

I'm 99% sure the owners of Varsity also own Lone Star Grill in Brenham. I'd expect some overlap between the menus, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
Rex Racer
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Visor said:

I'm 99% sure the owners of Varsity also own Lone Star Grill in Brenham. I'd expect some overlap between the menus, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
Ooooooh! I love Lone Star Grill!
phillytex24
drthoop said:

I absolutely hate Dr. Google. And I'm just a veterinarian. Everyone is a medical expert now.

Have clients tell me that they've been researching their pet's symptoms and they think they have this or that and that I need to treat it a certain way. I tell them to go home and call Dr. Google and have them write the script.

Amazing how quick they change their tune. I just don't put up with that bull***** 8 years of college and 38 years of experience here. I have no problem saying I know more that their Google search engine.

I've had a doctor so wrapped up in pushing blood pressure meds that it took another doctor to actually diagnose me. It was exactly what I found related to my symptoms online. Not every doctor is as good as you are. Insurance companies are forcing doctors to push pharmaceuticals on folks, as treatment, or they won't pay.
PS3D
halibut sinclair said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Roni's Mac Bar will open on Saturday, April 20 (4/20)
And close on 11/20.
If it's anything like the Waco location it will do fine.
trouble
AG
There's a new sign in the Chicken Oil parking lot (near the door) but I couldn't read it yesterday when I was headed to Pepe's. I'll try to go by today and see what it says.
techno-ag
AG
techno-ag said:

Drove by the TXB location on William J. Bryan. It is coming along. Near the post office, across from the 7-11.
And another thing going up in that general area is a new building for Blinn. It's been a while since they built over there. Nash & Villa Maria.
MiMi
S
Tailgate88 said:

No. New concept and this is the first location.

https://www.varsitygrillhouse.com/about-us

Scheduled to open on April 26
techno-ag
AG
I guess I missed where A1 went out of business? Not that I'm paying much attention. Went by their place today at Sandy Point Rd and 21. Yard was empty. Sign on the building says Texas Towing.
halibut sinclair
techno-ag said:

techno-ag said:

Drove by the TXB location on William J. Bryan. It is coming along. Near the post office, across from the 7-11.
And another thing going up in that general area is a new building for Blinn. It's been a while since they built over there. Nash & Villa Maria.

Some apartments going in at Villa Maria and Red River that the home owners there are not too happy about.
AggiePhil
AG
techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business?
Happened around November 2023.
techno-ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business?
Happened around November 2023.
Thanks. Too bad. They went above and beyond many times.
PS3D
Carney's in Bryan is becoming "Carney's Cantina", apparently.
lockett93
AG
I saw they acquired the neighboring building…. I know they will have the existing Carney's and a more restaurant style place next door.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
PS3D said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
FlyRod
This. Don't take the best beer bar in town and turn it into a mediocre Tex-Mex joint. We have more than enough of those.
australopithecus robustus
Best bar in town?? That being a stretch aside…

If it was performing well Barry wouldn't be changing it. Must need a rebrand/revamp.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Reading lockett's post above mine, maybe the neighboring property will be the Cantina, and the current property will remain as-is.
PS3D
lockett93 said:

I saw they acquired the neighboring building…. I know they will have the existing Carney's and a more restaurant style place next door.

TDLR Tabs reads "Renovations to an existing facility for a Bar" but has the address of Carney's.
FlyRod
australopithecus robustus said:

If it was performing well Barry wouldn't be changing it. Must need a rebrand/revamp.

Best BEER bar. And owners often do rebranding/revamping for very dumb reasons, ultimately to their dismay.

If it's just a matter of an addition, fine. If they gut the interior and replace the beer with adult juice boxes…not so fine.

Edit: ok saw PS3Ds clarification so maybe NBD.
phillytex24
australopithecus robustus said:

It used to be Fitzwillies until the glam up. LOL
australopithecus robustus
lol
Marooned_n_Aggieland
techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business? Not that I'm paying much attention. Went by their place today at Sandy Point Rd and 21. Yard was empty. Sign on the building says Texas Towing.
Spent too much time and money on TexAgs forums posting trying to convince college students and townies that towing your vehicle is really a good thing. RIP A1 or whatever his new acct is. Note: Not the owner but an employee.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
MyNameIsJeff said:

PS3D said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
You should have told that to Aaron Franklin when he had a "little BBQ trailer on the side of the road in 2009". Barry is expanding and making the place more enjoyable for more people. No harm in that. Guess what, if he greatly miscalculates, he will lose out. You won't.
Charpie
AG
Smitty K's is going to be closed for a while. Fire damaged their place last night
PS3D
Charpie said:

Smitty K's is going to be closed for a while. Fire damaged their place last night
Given that a Facebook post reported on WTAW phrases it as "the loss of our business due to a fire in the building" it sounds like they won't be reopening for a while--if ever. Meanwhile, Chicken Oil has passed year two with no renovations in sight.
techno-ag
AG
Yeah fires seem to wipe small independent places out. What was that restaurant going towards Snook back in the day? Mama's Place or some such. Maybe it was the Kountry Kitchen I'm thinking of. Anyway, one fire and that was it.
Dumbfounded
So many local small businesses are on the edge. Any out of norm adversity can put them under.
PS3D
The only debilitating restaurant fire I can remember is Olive Garden, and that place was totally trashed.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

The only debilitating restaurant fire I can remember is Olive Garden, and that place was totally trashed.
Pretty sure it was Kountry Kitchen across from Easterwood Airport that burned down. OG as a chain had the $ to come back in their new location off the bypass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.