Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

45,869 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was referring to the posters on this thread when I said that.
OnlyANobody
Fair enough.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
The majority of posters on the Aggieland forum of TexAgs is by no means a majority opinion for the area. It's not even close.

It may not be a majority of what the towns peoples think, but it is the most accurate and the CORRECT source of opinion on any matter, especially anyone from Bryan.
dgonzo99
Just curious. How many of the complainers have actually been to Kreuz Market and/or spoken to the managers about your gripes? I would venture to say the answer is close to zero.
ksp
I have eaten at the one in Lockhart and was not a fan. Doubtful I will be going to this one. Even though I have not complained.

Sometimes you cannot complain when the taste just doesn't fit your palate. I would not expect them to changes their sausage recipe after so many years because it is not palatable to 5-6 posters here.

Why complain about forks when that is their thing and they have stated they won't change.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I have eaten at the one in Lockhart and was not a fan. Doubtful I will be going to this one. Even though I have not complained.

Sometimes you cannot complain when the taste just doesn't fit your palate. I would not expect them to changes their sausage recipe after so many years because it is not palatable to 5-6 posters here.

Why complain about forks when that is their thing and they have stated they won't change.
Not only will they not change, it's part of their identity. "No sauce. No forks" is something of a corporate slogan for them.
ksp
quote:
quote:

Not only will they not change, it's part of their identity. "No sauce. No forks" is something of a corporate slogan foR
Agree, which is why talking to a manager is a complete waste of time for most issues in this thread. Sometimes, peoples taste buds make it just not for them. I see no need to waste yours or a managers time.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
The majority of posters on the Aggieland forum of TexAgs is by no means a majority opinion for the area. It's not even close.

Amen and AMEN!!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Typical of this board: some of you have an entirely overly inflated view of your opinions.

Voice concerns here? Do you honestly want the restaurant to change? Voicing your opinions here is slightly more useful than going in your backyard and yelling at the sun.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Voice concerns here? Do you honestly want the restaurant to change?
They didn't even paint it maroon!
ksp
quote:
quote:
Voice concerns here? Do you honestly want the restaurant to change?
They didn't even paint it maroon!
and it is in BRYAN!!
originaltexan
Who saw the Fargo's story on KBTX the other day?

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Celebrating-Black-History-Month-Bryan-Couples-BBQ-Dream-Comes-True-293741521.html
Thisguy1
quote:
Typical of this board: some of you have an entirely overly inflated view of your opinions.

Voice concerns here? Do you honestly want the restaurant to change? Voicing your opinions here is slightly more useful than going in your backyard and yelling at the sun.

People keep saying this. While I agree there are a lot of people with an inflated view on their opinion, this is a discussion board.
Belton Ag
AG
There is a decent solution to the no forks/no sauce thing. Get it to go and eat at home.

Anyways, I'm glad they've opened, I love a new restaurant that isn't a national chain or fast food.

Last time I was there I watched the pitmaster working through the glass, he noticed me looking and smiled and waved which I thought was pretty cool. As a guy that likes to BBQ myself and likes to run a pit from time to time, I have to say when it's hot and smokey, the last thing you might want to see is some people gawking at you through a window. You can tell he really cares about what he's got going on and I like that.

Still not better than Fargo's - few places are - but I'll keep on going.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
and it is in BRYAN!!

I know! Get that sorry excuse for a meat shack out of my town! Miss u Nortenos, forks as far as the eye could see there, and BYOB!
FlyRod
Happier to have Kreuz. Now if only Papa Perez and Casa Rod could vacate Bryan to make way for something decent.

But that's too much to ask.
Tradishun
quote:
Just curious. How many of the complainers have actually been to Kreuz Market and/or spoken to the managers about your gripes? I would venture to say the answer is close to zero.
I wouldn't call myself a "complainer" -- certainly not on this thread, because it's my first post on this 8-pages-and-counting behemoth -- but I've been to the place. Here's the short-n-sweet:

1. The meats rock (yes, even the sausage)
2. Beer selection is okay. Not great, not awful.
3. Sides are forgettable.
4. Their meats don't need sauce.
5. Absence of forks is annoying.
6. I mentioned most all of my comments above to both the pitmaster on duty and to the owner (who was behind the bar). The pitmaster came by to ask how things tasted; I stopped by the bar to say hello to the owner on the way out. The pitmaster said I was more than welcome to bring my own fork. (He was serious.) I maintained to both pitmaster and owner that I didn't think "no forks" was cute, just annoying.

I liked the place a lot. I'll go back, for sure, though for my taste, Fargo's is just plain better. This is second best in town, though, and it's not particularly close. So does not having forks hurt? Let's put it this way: I would never in a million years bring an out-of-town guest there for a meal, given the "no forks" thing. And I have out-of-town guests here pretty often.
Makdaddy
What are the going prices here compared to that of fargos? Brisket, sausage, plates or per pound.
FlyRod
Per pound. They are far and away the most expensive bbq place in BCS.
Thisguy1
quote:
Per pound. They are far and away the most expensive bbq place in BCS.

Are you sure? Beef prices are ridiculous right now.
GSS
quote:
quote:

Are you sure? Beef prices are ridiculous right now.
Not if you're raising cattle

Brisket pricing is easily 2x what is was 2 yrs ago... printing a menu price is a risky venture.
CDub06
AG
This guy...

One of the stupidest things I've ever read:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kreuz-market-bryan?hrid=42ns1LudTlYyJqYGOR099Q

quote:
I love Hiroko for improvising. We were probably the 1st and only couple where the husband refused to order and she used her own chop sticks.

Not funny and will not work in Aggieland. I give this place the one year lease kiss of death and I have been correct 7 out of the last predictions. Fargo's is too close, it's REAL and local, has sauce and forks and is cheaper.

Legends are created where they are. If Lockhart Texas has a bunch of unsanitary hicks and white trash that eat with their hands and don't even care if BBQ has sauce when it needs it, keep it out there.
CDub06
AG
Certainly you know by now that they don't have forks. If you don't want to eat there, don't. If you must use a fork, bring your own or take it to go...

And their meat does NOT need sauce, folks. Neither does Fargo's. Stop ruining good meat. Do you put Ketchup on your steaks too?

Save the sauce for the meats that need it...

I rarely use forks when eating BBQ as it is, they're pretty unnecessary. It's amazing how upset people get about that.

Overall, the meats do not match the greatness of what you'll find at the Lockhart location. However, the brisket and beef ribs were both excellent. Well smoked, perfectly prepared cuts. They are easily the best you're going to find in B/CS.

The pork ribs were a little underwhelming and it's tough for anyone in the state to match the ribs Fargo's puts out.

The clod and sausage were both inexplicably subpar on my visit. This is a sausage that I normally love no matter where I get it. There was something about the mixture that was just off on my visit. It did not taste like the legendary Kreuz sausage that I adore... The clod is also a star at the original location but this was a poor, undersmoked product. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and try these items again because I know that Kreuz typically delivers quality in both of these items.

Don't look now, but the Brazos Valley has a bustling BBQ scene behind Fargo's, Blue Moon & Kreuz.

EDIT: This thread needs more pictures...

From my visit:
Scooley01
AG
I was underwhelmed with them at Taste of Aggieland last night. The meat was well-cooked, but the sausage and brisket were nothing special in my opinion. The sausage was certainly a different texture than other BBQ joints in town, but I wouldn't say its flavor was radically different. They were both very peppery.

The no fork thing is a weird gimmick...it doesn't add anything to the "experience" for me personally. I also happen to be a fan of a bit of sweetness with my BBQ, so I like a dash of sauce. I guess I'm not a "real" BBQ fan. Sue me. If they really wanted to drive home the point without driving off customers, they could keep the sauce behind the counter and make you request it.

I could take their food to go, and add my own forks and sauce...or I could just go somewhere that already has those things.
CDub06
AG
quote:
I was underwhelmed with them at Taste of Aggieland last night. The meat was well-cooked, but the sausage and brisket were nothing special in my opinion. The sausage was certainly a different texture than other BBQ joints in town, but I wouldn't say its flavor was radically different. They were both very peppery.

The no fork thing is a weird gimmick...it doesn't add anything to the "experience" for me personally. I also happen to be a fan of a bit of sweetness with my BBQ, so I like a dash of sauce. I guess I'm not a "real" BBQ fan. Sue me. If they really wanted to drive home the point without driving off customers, they could keep the sauce behind the counter and make you request it.
It's a bit dangerous to judge a BBQ place off of an event like Taste of Aggieland. BBQ is never going to be as good when it's being smoked off site and held in a warmer for a couple of hours. I mean that probably goes for most restaurants without access to their own equipment, but BBQ really starts breaking down.

I agree that the No Fork thing is gimmicky. I personally would probably give in on that. But it doesn't bother me.

However some pitmasters take the No Sauce thing seriously. With the time and effort they put into smoking their meat, they can find it offensive when someone covers it in sauce without tasting it. Heck, things like that and salting food before you taste it nearly send me into a rage even if I didn't prepare the meal.
Thisguy1
quote:
This guy...

quote:
I love Hiroko for improvising. We were probably the 1st and only couple where the husband refused to order and she used her own chop sticks.

Not funny and will not work in Aggieland. I give this place the one year lease kiss of death and I have been correct 7 out of the last predictions. Fargo's is too close, it's REAL and local, has sauce and forks and is cheaper.

Legends are created where they are. If Lockhart Texas has a bunch of unsanitary hicks and white trash that eat with their hands and don't even care if BBQ has sauce when it needs it, keep it out there.

Were you referring to me about something or simply saying "this guy"?
Scooley01
AG
I understand that food at an event like that may taste a bit different. At the same time, if you're going to participate in something like that, you better bring your A-game. If you serve mediocre food at an event like that, I'm not exactly going to be in a rush to try your restaurant in person.

I totally agree about sauce/salt in general. I would never sauce or season something that was prepared by someone else without tasting it first, because I totally understand that they prepared it a certain way and want it tasted that way. BBQ *is* a slightly different beast in my opinion...that's why lots of BBQ joints concoct their own sauce, so that it accompanies the meat exactly the way they intend for it to.
Makdaddy
finally was able to try it out at the taste of Aggieland. I tried it twice during the night. The first time was right around when the event opened up, the brisket pieces I had were excellent, good flavor lots of pepper and didn't need sauce. My friend though had prettt fatty piece, wasn't too pleased with that cut. The second time around wasn't as good, kinda what the other posters have said about their briskets. Still wanting to go and try on location to get an accurate tasting from straight off the pit. Sausage wasn't anything special either.
Thisguy1
Someone mentioned them changing up some techniques, and I got the chicken again the other day to go and it was different than the first few times I've had it. Was cooked longer it seems, so it was a little more dry and the skin darker. Couldn't tell if the seasoning was too much different, but it was still the best meat choice I've had there so far (Could have been a different pitmaster, but out of 4 times I've ordered the chicken, 3 were the same and this was different). It seemed others agreed because there were only a few birds left (at least that's what they led me to believe).
CDub06
AG
Not referring to you... Didn't even see your username, sorry about that!

Greg D is "this guy..." with his stupid comments.
FlyRod
I tried Kreuz's at Taste of Aggieland and it was great. They sliced a fresh hot brisket and it was juicy and peppery. Poor Rudy's by contrast, well...
I like fatty brisket. And I'm a healthy fit guy. That brisket fat won't kill ya, dig in!

Real winner was Peter Madden's pulled pork tacos, but I digress...
FlyRod
As far as eating brisket with chopsticks goes, Can't. Stop. Laughing.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
This guy...

quote:

Lulz
ksp
He counts predicting cafe Eccels demise, even tho they just moved
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Greg is a damn joke. I wish his bustling career at Jimmy John's would relocate him elsewhere. I'm sick of him hating on the fact that he lives here. You're an embarrassment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.