Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

45,724 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
Dr Lane Trowlan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just FYI. Treat yourself, it's outstanding.
Sleepnumber
AG
Can't wait...
Jim65
AG
Where are they to be located?
halibut sinclair
In Bryan on the bypass behind McCoy's. We will be there Monday for sure.
redd38
AG
In before they-ran-out-of-meat complaints
techno-ag
AG
The fact it's on the bypass helps ensure its success. The IHOP next door to it has done outstanding.
halibut sinclair
Bypasses.
dgonzo99
Can't wait. Have heard about their great barbecue for years. Now, if we could get a Franklin's here too. After all, the owner grew up in Bryan.
GSS
quote:
The fact it's on the bypass helps ensure its success.
Tony Roma's may disagree....
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
The fact it's on the bypass helps ensure its success.
Tony Roma's may disagree....

Natch. The exception that proves the rule.
FlyRod
Kreuz will do well in spite of, not because of being on the bypass. Its name and reputation will draw people there, who otherwise would avoid the bypass in favor of closer (and better) restaurant options.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
quote:
Can't wait. Have heard about their great barbecue for years. Now, if we could get a Franklin's here too. After all, the owner grew up in Bryan.
I asked him why didn't he open it here instead of Austin but he didn't quite answer it. He did say his grandparents use to own Tip Top Records (for anyone old enough to remember it) and that his parents had a BBQ place on Hwy 21 back in the day.
Picadillo
Tony Romas was welcome, but pricey. Don't know if that's why they failed, but obviously did not have enough business. This area is a "casual dining" sort of place, which gets the price point as low as possible, and follows what's going on nationally.
dgonzo99
quote:
Tony Romas was welcome, but pricey. Don't know if that's why they failed, but obviously did not have enough business. This area is a "casual dining" sort of place, which gets the price point as low as possible, and follows what's going on nationally.
The whole chain is having problems. They have been closing stores like crazy. They are predicted to be totally out of business in the next 3 to 4 years. They always had a good crowd when I was there. Several of the stores in the center with PetSmart closed, because the chains were in financial trouble. Not so much that they did terrible here.
originaltexan
Many nationwide chains are having problems due to a few factors:

Food costs on the rise. Good food is expensive.

Greedy executives sacrificing quality for profits.

Microwave food. Many chains have everything pre-portioned and mixed in serving bags. When you get there it is simply heated. Next time you go somewhere, ask if you can leave out the mushrooms or onions. If the waitstaff says it is part of the recipe, you know you are eating a fancy TV dinner.
biobioprof
quote:
Just FYI. Treat yourself, it's outstanding.
Did you get a preview of the one here? or basing it on Lockhart. I have high hopes, but sometimes it's hard to get the same quality in a second location.
PS3D
A friendly reminder: a second location of Royers Round Top Cafe (another famous-ish eatery) didn't perform well here.
ChampsAg
I wonder if they brought in a seasoned pit. If not, might have to wait a while to try it.
dgonzo99
quote:
A friendly reminder: a second location of Royers Round Top Cafe (another famous-ish eatery) didn't perform well here.
This will be their 3rd barbecue place to open. They have another in Dallas under another name. I just bet they will hit a home run here. I have heard nothing but raves from those that were at the pre-opening the other day. Rudys has made it and they are a poor imitation of the original in Leon Springs. Royers really wasn't very well known at all.
aggiepaintrain
AG
No chance of failure.
When is Pappadeaux going to open???
dgonzo99
I think they are still working on the plans. It takes a long time to go through site development. Every time you change the least little thing, you have to go back and get it approved. I would say the later part of 2015 to early 2016. Should do well.
Joe Nobody
Just be aware that "lean brisket" means shoulder roast.
Bunk Moreland
They will destroy here. The BBQ in this area is terrible. One or two top tier shops, then a bunch of mediocre nonsense.

Agree with no chance to fail.

As for Pappadeaux...that's done as far as I've heard. They are selling the S&W location they purchased. If they build restaurants here, it'll be somewhere else.
rsa
AG
quote:
Close to 20 years ago in a gawd-awful location, and with food that was not even close to Royer's standards.
Ag97
AG
Tried it for dinner tonight. Good quality BBQ. Expensive BBQ. I understand the desire of BBQ purist to not want sauce, but it's not for me. I prefer my Q with some sauce to complement it. Just a personal preference. I don't see my family going back. Now if Black's from Lockhart would have opened a place here, I would be all over it.
FlyRod
I liked it...going back with a group later this week so we can try a "mess of everything." Some items were crazy good, others seemed a tad underwhelming but not bad by any stretch. Its a real nice addition, and different enough from Fargo's to provide some contrast. Tempted to say its by far the best place to eat in that stretch...
dgonzo99
I tried it this afternoon. I got the half chicken. I was very impressed with the chicken. Most of the chicken at the other joints is almost always very dry and tough at times. Here, it was very moist and cooked just right. It had a pepper rub on it. Tasted similar to Fargos. I didn't miss the sauce at all. I'm not a sauce lover. I'm a barbecue purist. All the staff came over to my table and made sure everything was just right for me. I will try the brisket with a group. A pound would be a little too much for one person. The half chicken was only $6. Very reasonable. I will go back.
RafterAg223
AG
It's not expensive when compared to other bbq joints around the state using the same grade of beef. Beef prices are high right now and most of the good places are currently charging $16 to $20 a pound for their brisket. Kreuz is charging just under $18 for their brisket and $19 and change/lb for their prime rib. That's not out of line at all. If you go to a sit down restaurant and order a 16 oz cut of Prime Rib, you are looking at $30+. These guys are cooking a better grade of beef than the rudy's and c&j's of the world.

The chicken is reasonably priced and their sausage links at a little over $4 are not overpriced at all.
halibut sinclair
malibu9in1
Blacks or gtho. I thought Kruez was waaaay to greasy.
dgonzo99
FlyRod, what did you get? I really want to try the sausage next. I've heard that they are known for their great sausage.
MsC2012
AG
quote:
Blacks or gtho. I thought Kruez was waaaay to greasy.
I thought it was super greasy too.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Took the family last night. There was good things....and there were bad things.

Good:
The German potatoes. My God, I could eat that by itself. Still can't get over how good that was.
The beans were pretty good. It tasted like they were cooked with a whole lot of chili powder because it tasted like I was eating chili instead of just beans.
The brisket was good. Not great. Average.

Bad:
Had a hot link sausage and it was by far the worst sausage I've ever had in my life. Drenched in grease (it soaked through the butcher paper and left a puddle on the table) and it literally fell apart into a mush when I cut into it. Bland tasting with a little heat at the end. Had two bites and that was enough.
Look, I understand the owner's insistence that they refuse to offer sauce. I get that and am okay with it. That is their choice. However, their other refusal to not offer forks just borders on just plain stupidity. Eating the German potatoes, mac & cheese and sauerkraut with spoons is just ridiculous. It really is. And trying to cut into that God-awful sausage link with a spoon and knife just doesn't work. Put some f-ing forks out. I heard several tables around us making comments about how incredulous they were that there were no forks. Time to let that 'tradition' die.

All in all, good but not great. In the future, I'd be more likely to get some meat and a tub of the potatoes to take home where I can have sauce if I choose and eat with a bloody fork.
FlyRod
Sounds like they wont be threatening Fargo's any time soon...
biobioprof
quote:
All in all, good but not great. In the future, I'd be more likely to get some meat and a tub of the potatoes to take home where I can have sauce if I choose and eat with a bloody fork.
I remember when I first moved here and Tom's BBQ was still around. People joked that job candidates who asked for a fork when getting the Aggie Special would have a hard time in Aggieland. Things have really changed in the food scene here.

The no fork thing makes more sense to me when the sides are a pile of white bread, a whole onion, a pickle, and a block of cheese.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.