Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

45,866 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went yesterday for lunch. Meh. Ordered a 1/2 pound pork chop which came as a pork chop that was about an inch thick along with Mac and Cheese. It tasted good but cutting an inch think piece of meat with a plastic spoon and plastic knife is awkward. Great meat doesn't need sauce so I'm ok with that. But no forks and plastic utensils is silly. Someone mentioned Toms not having a fork but they had a really large metal knife that was actually useful. Plastic utensils aren't terrible useful.

Will I go back? I don't know. I live in far south CS across the tracks so it's quite a trip for me to get there. The meat was good but the Mac and Cheese was Kraft or something to that effect and definitely not worth bragging about. on the other hand I went with a group of buddies who eat lunch together regularly and if they want to go back I suppose I will. But I can't see if being a regular stop for my family.
Slicer97
AG
Ate at the one in Lockhart years ago and will never go back. Shoulder clod is not a suitable substitute for lean brisket. If I wanted bland roast beef, I'd have asked for the clod. Their sausage was a tube of liquid grease with a little bit of ground meat floating in it. I agree that good BBQ doesn't sauce. Kreuz meat needs sauce.

The "no forks" thing goes back to the days when it was a meat market. They weren't in the restaurant business, they just sold fresh meat and smoked meat (which was fresh meat that didn't sell). Folks started eating the smoked meat on site as they shopped. Now that they are in the restaurant business exclusively, their no-forks policy is really kinda dumb. Maybe they think using your fingers will distract from the mediocrity of their product.
CN
Their pork ribs were extremely salty and borderline inedible because of it. And wow were they greasy. The brisket was good but nothing too exciting.

Fargo's is still better.
AC Hopper
S
Lunch today.
Brisket, potatoes.
Brisket was good grade of meat, had a nice bark & smoke ring, tender & juicy, point & flat in one slice, & very flavorful. Used the on table Crystal Hot Sauce which I like.
It is absolutely ridiculous having to eat bbq with a plastic spoon!
If the business persists with the no fork bull****, the county health department should require that they remove the tables & chairs & sell the food to go only.
In the meantime, I will return & take my own fork.
Thisguy1
Does anyone know how the to-go process works?
MiMi
S
I went for dinner to go on Sunday. Just walked to the counter and gave them my order. They bagged it up and I was out the door quickly.
HUEY04
AG
They have a separate entrance where you can walk up and order to go without going through the line. You can also call ahead and pick up at the to go register.
gettingitdone
Ok, the hubby and I went tonight for dinner, and while I am not a food critic by any stretch of the imagination, here is my take on the food:

My meal consisted of two slices of brisket, one pork rib, a side of beans, a side of mac and a tiny slice of cheese......$22. NO THANK YOU!!

I went prepared for the no sauce no forks policy and it would have been fine, except, the brisket was so tough, I couldn't cut it with the plastic knife and spoon. After two bites of the brisket, I gave up and it is now a treat for our dogs. The rib was big and it was very good. I did not like the beans at all, but the mac was delicious. My husband had a small pork chop and he said it was very good, but it was also over $8.

I can honestly say, I will not be going back. That is just my take on it. Others really enjoy it and that works too, but I can't see spending money like that for food that is just so so.
superunknown
AG
quote:
Their sausage was a tube of liquid grease with a little bit of ground meat floating in it.
I went to the Lockhart Kreuz years ago and while I liked the flavor of the sausage, it was as greasy as you describe it. I tried the Bryan Kreuz the other day and the sausage was almost too dry. Maybe they cook it longer now, I'm not sure. I also got brisket and got a nice slice with a good ring/bark/meat ratio.

For the people complaining on price...yes, their BBQ is expensive. They have the price right there on the board. Nobody's forcing you to buy it. I don't order BBQ a whole lot these days because yeah, it gets pricey in a hurry so I can't compare it to other BBQ joints in town. It does seem kind of weird that people are surprised at the price of BBQ, though.

fwiw, I never go for "lean" brisket (or clod in this case) because who the hell wants that crap? if I was in it for the health I'd go elsewhere and get a salad.
michellecan
Just gave it a try. Had sausage and chicken. The chicken was a little too pink and the sausage wasn't anything to write home about. Sorry guys, but I too probably won't go back. Was really hoping for something better.
techno-ag
AG
I went again today. Had the brisket and beef ribs. Both were excellent.
Thisguy1
What's your favorite BBQ restaurant in B/CS
techno-ag
AG
Still gotta go with Fargo's. Kreuz is second, though.
txyaloo
AG
Went tonight. The staff seemed more interested in chatting than serving the customers.

The brisket was dry but had a decent flavor. The "prime rib" was decent. I tried to order sausage, but they left it off my tray.

Their cutters need a lot more training. I'll probably go back in a few months once the kinks are worked out.
ag92tx
I've been twice. The staff is pretty darn slow and you usually have to tell them two or three times what you want.

Beans are good. Ribs are a little too salty IMO. I still think C&Js jalapeo cheese sausage is better. Has less grease. I'm going to bring a pocket full of forks next time and leave them scattered around to confuse everyone. Lol
SwaggerCopter
AG
Went today for the first time. Thought it was excellent. Fast service, nice people, great brisket and potatoes.

Maybe a little pricy but not unreasonable. No complaints from me.
AggiePhil
AG
Now serving chopped beef. Maybe forks are next.
betas2000
AG
I really liked Kreuz Market's brisket and tender 1 inch thick pork chops, I wish them the best of luck!!!!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Now serving chopped beef. Maybe forks are next.

They had sweet tea, too, last time I went.
BCStalk
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-11-best-bbq-cities-in-america-111309523816.html
techno-ag
AG
quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-11-best-bbq-cities-in-america-111309523816.html
Bryan's not in there.
BCStalk
Sadly no, but just had some interesting information about the name.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
(Not too often though because the doc will be grumbling about those cholesterol numbers in no time.)

Didn't they just come out with new guidelines that said the amount of fat & cholesterol you eat doesn't really affect your cholesterol numbers at all...it's sugar that's the problem. So you're good to go!

...unless you get the sweet tea.

dgonzo99
quote:
quote:
(Not too often though because the doc will be grumbling about those cholesterol numbers in no time.)

Didn't they just come out with new guidelines that said the amount of fat & cholesterol you eat doesn't really affect your cholesterol numbers at all...it's sugar that's the problem. So you're good to go!

...unless you get the sweet tea.

I think a lot of it is genetic. I have known more than a few vegetarians that have severe cholesterol problems. I have also known people that have eat a lot of fatty foods with very low cholesterol. The same with sugar. My cholesterol is very low with a reading of good cholesterol off the charts. My mom ate mostly veggies and her cholesterol was high. But I still don't over do it on the bad stuff.
w8liftr
You are actually referring to a single research study, not new federal guidelines, and the study found that a high added sugar diet actually lowered HDLs (the good cholesterol) instead of raising LDLs like you suggested. The elephant in the room in this study and in many discussions of hypercholesterolemia is exercise, since exercise has been shown in numerous studies to have more impact on blood cholesterol numbers than dietary cholesterol (no matter what Cheerios commercials say).
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Ignore anyone mentioning forks/sauce, they've missed the point. The brisket is excellent. I have eaten at all the BBQ places BCS has to offer and found them all to be terrible. Not only is Kreuz good, its the ONLY decent BBQ place within 50 miles of town.
Bryanisbest
AG
Good but number three behind 1 Fargo's and 2 C and J
aggieann
AG
quote:
What's your favorite BBQ restaurant in B/CS

Blue Moon BBQ, hands down!

http://bluemoonbbqtexas.com/
FlyRod
Talked to the pitmaster there today at lunch. he said he is constantly trying to tweak and improve all the items, esp. the brisket.

Finally tried the ribs and they were excellent, albeit a tad too salty. That sauerkraut is crazy good, hadn't had it before. And their craft beer selection is starting to grow.

The ex-Yelp king of Aggieland slammed it on Yelp, so its success is assured.
mazag08
AG
quote:
Ignore anyone mentioning forks/sauce, they've missed the point. The brisket is excellent. I have eaten at all the BBQ places BCS has to offer and found them all to be terrible. Not only is Kreuz good, its the ONLY decent BBQ place within 50 miles of town.

For the money, I'd go just about anywhere before having bland brisket again, or eating a 1 inch pork steak with a spoon.
redd38
AG
quote:
You think all brisket within 50 miles of town is terrible expect the brisket at Kruez? That's just crazy, even below average brisket isn't terrible, and there are several places in town with above average brisket. The brisket I had from Kruez was fine, but certainly not vastly better than some other options in town.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Fargo's has better brisket.
I don't like paying $18/lb for brisket with 3/4" of fat on top.

And the sausage is too greasy as well, compared to the Lockhart version.

Mathguy64
AG
quote:
I know everyone has different taste buds and ranking BBQ joints and brisket is practically a national pastime around here, but to suggest there is no decent brisket in 50 miles of BCS may be the harshest food statement ever made.
Mathguy64
AG
I know. That skill has probably been honed for years.
redd38
AG
quote:
Not a harsh statement. The food available in BCS is horrendous and BBQ in particular is terrible in this area. There's like 6 restaurants in the entire town that aren't god awful.
LOL

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.