Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting backpack oddities you carry?

15,648 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
Gigemags05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The people making dangerous, sweeping generalizations about alcohol while hunting sound eerily similar to the gun control crowd, just different points.

Its the blatantly ignorant stereotypes that cause people to think all guns are bad and serve no purpose.

Just like those of you who see someone with a beer, or read on a forum that someone takes beer with them to the stand; and automatically assume that they are irresponsible, drunk, and a danger to themselves and others.

Of course you shouldn't get inebriated with firearms around. But having a beer or two while hunting doesn't mean that you are unsafe.

Its incredibly hypocritical.
Apache
AG
I'm drinking a beer every time I go hunting from now on just because of this thread.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Of course you shouldn't get inebriated with firearms around. But having a beer or two while hunting doesn't mean that you are unsafe.

Perhaps NW80 could give us some graphic examples of how alcohol and firearms don't mix?

IMO, guns and alcohol are a mistake; we all may have to agree to disagree on this point.
duddleysdraw88
AG

What if you're in a tree stand, 100% certain you're the only guy in a 100 acre high fenced pen, drunk off your arse, with fruit and a handle of crown in your backpack, 120 yds away from your truck..... Would it be okay to shoot the nuts off of the $10,000 double droptine buck, off-handed with a bench loaded .17 HMR???

God, I love TexAgs!!!!!!!

aggiesq
AG
Man the lushes are sensitive these days.
Gigemags05
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Perhaps NW80 could give us some graphic examples of how alcohol and firearms don't mix?

IMO, guns and alcohol are a mistake we all may have to agree to disagree on this point.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. That is what these boards are for. The hypocrisy comes from those holier than thou's out here that are making generalizations based off of zero evidence.
guadalupeag
Honestly if you can't drink a few beers and still maintain proper gun safety, you probably shouldn't be drinking while doing any activity.
schmellba99
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

IMO, guns and alcohol are a mistake; we all may have to agree to disagree on this point.

Like anything else, stupid things are done by stupid people.

What if you dont have a beer with you, but are hung over from the night before? What if you just didnt sleep well and are tired? Had a y hour drive to the lease and are tired and rushing to get in the stand? What if you are taking OTC meds? Prescription meds? Have massive allergies that can affect your judgment? Or a literal million other things that can be just as, if not more, dangerous than a fuggin beer? Or is it juat demonizing alcohol because its easy to do and you feel all warm and fuzzy for doing so?

This is the same attitude that tells us that drinking while driving is bad, so we outlaw it. But we promote gping to a bar and drinking as perfectly acceptable, when the reality is that a single beer while driving home from,work is far less dangerous than multiple beers at the bar, then driving home. It is silly and pointless.

I am sure NW80 could post about idiots doing idiot things. But idiots doing idiot things does not equate to the norm, nor does it mean that all people do idiot things simply because one person does idiot things. Shocking concept, I know.
Brush Country
aggiesq said:

drummer0415 said:

I won't go hunting unless it's somewhere I can bring beer to the stand with me.
good to know. dont expect an invitation

Like he'd wanna go to your ****ty ranch where he can't have fun.

Laugh/cry
NW80
AG
Guys you're right, there are ALOT of times where alcohol is envolved with bad injuries and stupid stunts that leave folks dead or dying. That happens far more often the the myriad examples Schmellba posted. The alcohol is a choice, mess are not.
This thread is not about the alcohol people choose to take to the blind with them. Hell, I had a Bourbon and water in the truck when we killed that Elk. But, it was waiting on the drive home.
This thread to me is more about what kind BS toys y'all feel are necessary to carry on your person hunting.
I carry 4 rounds in the magazine , 3 in my pocket, a Moore Maker Sodbuster in my pocket, binoculars around my neck, TP in my pocket and what ever clothes I'm wearing. That's it!
After 52 yrs of hunting deer in Texas guess what? That's ALL you need! The goatee wearing, gutshooting , scent blocker using TV turds have brainwashed y'all.
mpl35
AG
I take a backpack evertime. Dslr. Sometimes a tripod. A book. Of course I'm usually just relaxing and out to take pictures. The gun is just in case something big shows up.
FTA03
AG
Am I seriously the only one who takes a snake bite kit?
duddleysdraw88
AG
You have a gun for Christ's sake.

Why would you need a snakebite kit????
BurrOak
AG
FTA'03 said:

Am I seriously the only one who takes a snake bite kit?

Yes
schmellba99
AG
Orrrrrrr.......

It is just a lot more comfy to toss pretty much the same stuff in a backpack that one can toss in the corner of the stand and sit in comfort while waiting. An added bonus of the backpack is that it can make a good enough pillow to take a nap on, be used as a padded seat if you arent stand hunting, and makes a pretty solid gun rest in a pinch as well.

And i carry a couple of water bottles everywhere too that get tossed in there.

Look over there...i see a cloud that needs yelling at.
cuz-i-can
AG
I need a backpack to carry all my beer and koozies.
awesome sauce
AG
5 extra rounds wrapped in toilet paper so they don't jingle.
dubi
AG
Gigemags05 said:

dubi said:

Quote:

IMO, guns and alcohol are a mistake we all may have to agree to disagree on this point.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. That is what these boards are for. The hypocrisy comes from those holier than thou's out here that are making generalizations based off of zero evidence.

Maybe I had a right to a bit of hypocrisy?

My sister was killed by a DUI driver in the bike lane stopped at a red light. This happened in broad daylight on a mid-day bike ride. She left behind a husband and 2 children and ME, and my mom....etc.

That driver thought she was ok. She was wrong. Just like I think y'all are wrong to drink and handle guns.

/rant over
Gigemags05
AG
That's awful. I'm very sorry for your loss.

But That doesn't change anything from my statement.

I hope I'm not coming across as uncaring or brazen, I just don't think that awful incident has any bearing on whether or not someone responsibly enjoys a beer in the stand.
NW80
AG
I'm not surprised you need all of that water Schmellba, keeps your prostate healthy cause it probably doesn't get used enough!
And somehow I'm also not surprised you need a little nightly night when you hunt. You can sleep off your hangover so you can Google Map your ranges after you wake up and miss!
schmellba99
AG
Prostrate gets used all the time brosephus, tumblr assures that.

I am not above a nap in a blind after exercizing my prostrate eother. Need the water to rehydrate after the one handed workout.

You still cant get the google,earth story right, but i dont expect it either. Odds are you have to have somebody remind you what your name is and change your old,man diaper anyway while *****ing about the color of sunglass lenses.
Old Sarge
AG
I think they key here is moderation. Taking a "few" beers to the blind for an evening hunt after several at camp during the day would not be a good choice for an adult to make.

Taking one or two to the blind for an evening hunt if one has not had but a one or two prior to that with a meal at lunch, and perhaps a snack after, should not be an issue at all for an adult.

Taking a couple of beers to the blind in the AM, after a long night of drinking around the campfire would be a bad idea.

It is all about being an adult. Drinks/Beer are about making choices as an adult. Same with firearms.

I killed my first deer with my dad at 12 on a morning hunt. I can assure you, he was not hungover and there was no beer close by. Started hunting by myself on the same lease at 14. Every year, starting at about 19 (which was the legal age then), my Dad requested one hunt a year where he and I would sit in the same blind. The first time I was wondering why he would want to do that, as all our blinds were 4x4 ft., but I said OK. As we were loading up for that evening hunt, he broke out a PVC tube with a handle (it was the 80's) and put 4 beers in it. At first, I was like "beer in the blind dad?" and he just said "you'll understand". So, we packed our big bodies in the blind, and spent the next 3 or so hours whispering about life and father/son stuff, and having a beer. Ttwo beers each.

It was a once a year tradition after that. Two beers each time, for the next 5 years. Last hunt in the same blind was in '89, the last year on that lease.

I had a chance, on one of those hunts, to kill the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof. A monster for back then. Bad time of day for a 6mm at the distance and time of day. Judgement call on my part. Beer was not talking to me.

As the years roll, and Dad has passed a couple of years ago, some of those hunts (that one with the biggun' especially) are some of the fondest in my memories of being in a blind.

Yeah, we had a tube that allowed a couple of beers each. Moderation is the key point here.

guadalupeag
dubi said:

Gigemags05 said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Maybe I had a right to a bit of hypocrisy?

My sister was killed by a DUI driver in the bike lane stopped at a red light. This happened in broad daylight on a mid-day bike ride. She left behind a husband and 2 children and ME, and my mom....etc.

That driver thought she was ok. She was wrong. Just like I think y'all are wrong to drink and handle guns.

/rant over

That is very sad, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately freedom does have its down side. But if you're going to lump all drinkers in with drunks that kill someone while drunk you're also going to have lump all gun owners in with those commit murders with guns.

For me that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, regardless of your life experience.
AnScAggie
AG
Has no one mentioned wet wipes yet?
Caliber
AG
AnScAggie said:

Has no one mentioned wet wipes yet?
You only needs wet wipes when going tandem in the stand with the right partner...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I went on an out of state turkey hunt years back. My buddy and I met his uncle at their camp pretty late the first night and one ole boy was too drunk to stand up and introduce himself. Well, as luck would have it, I got paired with him to hunt the next morning. We get set up in the blind before daylight and first thing ole boy does is light a cig and crack a beer. He brought a small cooler with a six pack in it and came back with none. Even worse, he didn't share! Not sure how many packs of cigs he went through. Interesting hunt to say the least.
AggieChemist
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I went on an out of state turkey hunt years back. My buddy and I met his uncle at their camp pretty late the first night and one ole boy was too drunk to stand up and introduce himself. Well, as luck would have it, I got paired with him to hunt the next morning. We get set up in the blind before daylight and first thing ole boy does is light a cig and crack a beer. He brought a small cooler with a six pack in it and came back with none. Even worse, he didn't share! Not sure how many packs of cigs he went through. Interesting hunt to say the least.
Allen76
AG
Drinking beer.... I never really thought about it much when hunting. I grew up in a family & community that drinks a lot of beer. Sometimes I pack one beer, or a soda, along with water in my hunting pack. I have never taken beer with me the few times I was on public land though. Since I am sitting in a plywood box, and my shot is going to be 40 yards away, I never thought about the possibility of maybe a lost human walking into my sendero..... from miles away. I do have cattle, none of which are deer colored.

Long ago I read that drinking a beer could help my sporting clays score. One beer did not hurt or help my score.

I did find out that ONE beer does affect my golf score. I don't know why, but just a couple sips and I feel relaxed and don't really care as much about the perfection in my swing. But, I suck at golf anyway.... drinking a beer just makes my score even worse.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Allen76 said:

I did find out that ONE beer does affect my golf score. I don't know why, but just a couple sips and I feel relaxed and don't really care as much about the perfection in my swing. But, I suck at golf anyway.... drinking a beer just makes my score even worse.
Yep. I'm the same way. Golf, bowling and clays. I do much better when I have a couple of beers in me. The trick with golf and bowling is to find that sweet spot before you hit the point of diminishing returns.
NW80
AG
schmellba99 said:

I am not above a nap in a blind after exercizing my prostrate eother. Need the water to rehydrate after the one handed workout.

You still cant get the google,earth story right, but i dont expect it either. Odds are you have to have somebody remind you what your name is and change your old,man diaper anyway while *****ing about the color of sunglass lenses.
Not too sure I'd have told that on myself ....
schmellba99
AG
NW80 said:

schmellba99 said:

Not too sure I'd have told that on myself ....
I'd not have wigged out over the color of sunglass lenses either. We all have our cross to bear I suppose....
southernskies
Wow, honestly surprised at how much junk people pack to go hunting. All you need is a gun if you are hunting on your own property. Maybe if you are climbing tree stands I could see having a phone/2-way radio in case you fall, but geez you are only spending 4 hours in the woods...can you not survive 4 hours with nothing but a gun and/or knife? haha Isn't your vehicle less than a few hundred yards from you anyways?

mpl35
AG
newmayne4 said:

Wow, honestly surprised at how much junk people pack to go hunting. All you need is a gun if you are hunting on your own property. Maybe if you are climbing tree stands I could see having a phone/2-way radio in case you fall, but geez you are only spending 4 hours in the woods...can you not survive 4 hours with nothing but a gun and/or knife? haha Isn't your vehicle less than a few hundred yards from you anyways?

I'm usually a lot further than a few hundred yards from my vehicle. I also tend to spend more than 4 hours in a blind. If I have nothing going on, I might spend all day out.
NW80
AG
Schmellba, it's one thing to go off on sunglasses. And clearly something else to whacking your pequeno bergs in a deer blind! Apples vs Oranges?
NW80
AG
"Verga"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.