Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting backpack oddities you carry?

15,625 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
GSlice06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So other than the obvious essentials you carry to the blind with you, do any of y'all have any weird or out of the ordinary items you pack. Sure I've got my knives, binocs, tp, rain jacket, phone, water (ahem...beer), snacks, etc. anything to keep you entertained on slow days? Any essentials that I may be missing?
ccard257
AG
Sierra designs down booties. as soon as I get in the blind, I take off the boots and socks and slip on these bad boys. Much Comfort. Zero Cold.
hurleyag
AG
It is a snack, but I always take a grapefruit to the blind. Peeling it is a good distraction for a slow time.
Allen76
AG
extra knives and knife sharpeners to sharpen all my knives in the blind

fishing line and hooks to make drop lines or trotlines in the blind

harge57
AG
Toilet Paper
AggieChemist
AG
If you need a beer in the stand to keep yourself entertained, maybe you need help.

100% serious, fun police hat on.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Water bottle, dead down wind throw away towels, toilet paper, extra knives, headlamps, small bag ofdried sausage and trail mix
AgySkeet06
AG
I keep rope in my pack: 10ft of cotton rope (can be used to help drag/pull deer-whatever), and a bundle of paracord. I usually find myself playing with the paracord making different knots.

I didnt see flashlight on your list: I carry a big flashlight, a smaller pocket style and spare batteries for the big one

ALSO DONT FORGET THE MOSQUITO REPELLENT!!! i carry a thermacel now but off or repel is good too.
Sean98
AG
I sit in one of these, 12-25 feet above the ground attached to a tree. Not a lot of extra room for goofy stuff or a Yeti Hopper full of beer.

But plenty of room for me, my bow, rattling antlers, grunt call, range finder, wind-icator, and a squeaker call in case I want to mess with a coyote or bobcat. I also carry a G5 Small Game Head so I can smack the crap out of some annoying ass squirrels.

I drink beer when I mow the yard, I drink beer when I watch football, I drink beer when listening to music or hanging out with friends. I do not drink beer when hunting deer. Because I'm hunting deer.
Apache
AG
Did I miss someone saying they brought beer into the deer stand, or was that a preemptive blast?

I used to carry a small radio with ear piece to listen to Aggie Football games. With the advent of DVR, I no longer need that.

I typically carry a small notebook & pen/pencil to jot down notes on deer I see. Time/date, stand, weather, antler specs, estimated age.

(Edit- just looked back at the OP's post & saw he mentioned beer.)
AggieChemist
AG
Apache said:

Did I miss someone saying they brought beer into the deer stand, or was that a preemptive blast?

Yes
GSlice06
AG
Ok, so no beer... got that. Radio for football games sounds like a good plan.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
No beer in the deer stand.

Only bourbon.
phdag
Large empty gatorade bottle, scent cover, TP, a sweat rag (long hike to stand)
sjislepilot
AG
Cigar cutter, lighter, victory cigar. For after the shot. Never leave without it.
confucius_ag
AG
Currently:

Firestarter
Flashlights
knives and sharpener
nylon cord
raisins
extra ammo
binocs
book
latex gloves
ziplocs
hand warmers

edit: I have pen to fill out the tag if I ever shoot a WT. Typically only shoot Axis.
JSKolache
AG
nah nothing weird. extra ammo, tree strap, & tree stand cushion
2ndChanceAg96
AG
No Beer in the stand!!!!!!!!
Ark03
AG
A lighter, and it's not just for cigars. I actually have a couple of road flares in my pack. I hunt near a couple of river bottoms, and if I got wet, hurt or stuck, I want something I can build a quick fire with, even in wet or snowy conditions.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Last year I had to pack along small rocks to throw. Yep that's right, gravel rocks to throw. Throw at what TwoMarksHand? Well, my brother thought it was funny to keep his horses in the same pasture as the blind and feeder. Dam horses would circle me all morning sniffing and pointing me out to the deer. Anytime I tried to shoo them off, the horses would freak out and bolt off. Snorting, farting, and causing a scene all the way back to the barn. So I had to bring along rocks to keep them outta the dam way and not cause such a commotion.
drummer0415
AG
I won't go hunting unless it's somewhere I can bring beer to the stand with me.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I haven't seen wasp-spray or was that in the previous visit?
sjislepilot
AG
I sometimes use rocks in backpack to throw as a distraction to spook deer out of area but not have them look up in the tree I'm getting out of at night or late morning.
Knucklesammich
Nothing too insane...

First day of the season I bring a can of wasp spray and leave it in my stand

I generally bring a flashlight, rattling horns, grunt call and bleat can. A bit or rope is handy for sure. I also bring a multi tool.

To pass the time...especially if I decide to go out around mid day or sit all day I've gotten to where I'll bring some scrap wood and a couple of knives to whittle on.

NW80
AG

Never understood a backpack when your truck is less than a mile away. More likely than not, less than 400 yds away.
In fact if you got in my truck with one I'd make you leave it!
aggiesq
AG
drummer0415 said:

good to know. dont expect an invitation
schmellba99
AG
Jesus, there are some Grade A *******s out there.
drummer0415
AG
aggiesq said:

drummer0415 said:

good to know. dont expect an invitation

I'm A-OK with that.
ghollow
AG
I have a 12v deep cycle battery in my blind to run my internal red LED light system, spotlight and cellphone chargers.
Bregxit
AG
Sat phone, PLB, mobile HF ham radio with solar panels. Just in case the SHTF out there.
txyaloo
AG
QuikClot. Small inexpensive package that isn't really noticeable in a bag or pocket. I'd hate to ever need it, but if I manage to shoot myself or a neighbor's round comes on to my property and hits me, I want a way to quickly stop the bleeding until someone can get to me. It's a 30 minute drive from the back of our place to the gate driving "quickly".

I have a full first aid kit in the truck, but I don't want to walk (or may be unable to walk) that far if shot.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Suppressed .22 for when things are slow and those damn squirrels start spinning the feeder plate.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
And camo can Lone Star... never go hunting without it.

AgLA06
AG
AggieChemist said:

If you need a beer in the stand to keep yourself entertained, maybe you need help.

So no beer while fishing then, right?
NW80
AG
AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

So no beer while fishing then, right?
Not sure you can kill someone or something with an All American Rod, Curado and a Mirro-lure!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.