Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting backpack oddities you carry?

15,646 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NW80 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

If you need a beer in the stand to keep yourself entertained, maybe you need help.

100% serious, fun police hat on.

So no beer while fishing then, right?
Not sure you can kill someone or something with an All American Rod, Curado and a Mirro-lure!!!

How about a mercury 150? You're too intelligent to be that obtuse.
AggieChemist
AG
AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

If you need a beer in the stand to keep yourself entertained, maybe you need help.

I don't fish 25 feet up in the air, either.
AggieChemist
AG
AgLA06 said:

NW80 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

Not sure you can kill someone or something with an All American Rod, Curado and a Mirro-lure!!!

How about a mercury 150? You're too intelligent to be that obtuse.
I think a beer while fishing is fine as long as it's below the intoxication threshold. But my fishing is all wading or floating. Operating a powerboat is a whole other ball of wax.

CrottyKid
AG
Juicy Fruit gum. I swear it attracts deer. I never hunt without it.
ursusguy
AG
I usually have a book. Oddly enough, after I started reading in the stand, the number of deer I saw went up.

Mt Dew and a empty Mt Dew bottle, set on opposite sides (and no, I have never mixed up the two).
dubi
AG
I don't hunt or fish.

But guns and and alcohol are a deadly combo and I hope y'all are all joking!
schmellba99
AG
dubi said:

I don't hunt or fish.

But guns and and alcohol are a deadly combo and I hope y'all are all joking!
Jesus, it's like anything else out there - if you do stupid things, stupid results happen. But sitting in a deer stand and enjoying a beer on an October day is not going to suddenly make you incapable of rational decisions and go on a rampage of killing everything and everybody you see with your deer rifle. Same as having a beer while dove hunting doesn't make you unethical, a bad hunter or automatically force you into suddenly being irrational and incapable of the most basic of decisions.

Nobody here is advocating going out and getting rip hammered off your gourd drunk and then going to the blind, but this "I'm on texagas so I have to be uber awesome super safety and prove I'm better than everybody else and be super awesome perfect and so much better than you because my hunting methods are better than yours" attitude is just fuggin stupid and needs to stop.

Get over yourselves (not dubi, just collectively) and quit being *******s. It's old and worn out, much like your mom.
Apache
AG
I don't seriously think anyone is talking about slamming a 12 pack while hunting 25 in the air.
I know we can all agree that being hammered while hunting is extremely dangerous and stupid. I doubt that any of us here would want any part of hunting with "that guy".

2-3 beers spread out over a couple of hours in a box blind on the ground isn't something that I do, but it isn't something I'm going to get all bent out of shape about either. Some guys don't take their hunting as seriously as others, and it is more a form of escape and relaxation for them. I'm going to assume that THIS is the type of drinking being mentioned by folks on this thread, because we've (most) all graduated from A&M I again assume we are smart enough to know better. We SHOULD be smart enough to know better.

ursusguy
AG
SHOULD and ARE are two different things.

I've seen people make the argument schmellba is making, go out perfectly fine and slurring when they came back in from the field....and they would have told you they were perfectly fine.
AggieChemist
AG
I for one, am getting tired of smelly's constant drum banging crusade to end the self righteousness on the OB. If we just all sat around agreeing with him all day this place would be boring.

I'm not truly better than you for the choices I make that differ from the choices that you make. But I'm free to make different choices, discuss them on texags, and sit in judgment of those that disagree with me. You're free to give me **** about catching bait or living in the sticks, and I'm free to think you're less of a man because you hunt with a crossbow over a protein feeder.

This used to be America, gaddammit.

Apache
AG
Quote:

SHOULD and ARE are two different things.
Completely agree Ursus, which is why I made the emphasis on that word. I wouldn't hunt with anyone taking a cooler with more than a couple 2-3 beers to the stand with them. If you want to get hammered, stay at camp.
FSGuide
I carry a cinder block in my backpack just in case I lose my can opener, I can rub my cans of tuna on the cinder block to open them and I won't starve to death.
MW13
AG
NW80 said:

Never understood a backpack when your truck is less than a mile away. More likely than not, less than 400 yds away.
In fact if you got in my truck with one I'd make you leave it!
I think a beer while you sit in the stand is ok but agree with the argument against multiples but no backpacks? Why not have your stuff with you?
aggie0959
hurleyag said:

It is a snack, but I always take a grapefruit to the blind. Peeling it is a good distraction for a slow time.

It also does a good job of masking scent.
Apache
AG
NW80 was beaten up by a kid wearing a backpack long ago. He's a little suspicious of them to this day.
NW80
AG
Well played FS !
My point is why catty one? I could understand it if you were going to stay in a stand all day or if you were gonna hump 2 or 3 miles into the area to hunt. But walking 200 yds to a stand with a bunch of nebulous survivor **** makes no sense.
arrow
AG
I think there has been a strange anti-drinking vibe on the OB this year. We had one thread ridiculing those who sip a beer on a kayak. I guess a few OBers either don't drink and judge those who do, associate all drinking to rednecks that get belligerent every day, or there truly are some of you who start slurring words and stumbling around after one drink.

I don't drink in a treestand because there is plenty of down time at deer camp for that, and I take my bowhunting pretty serious (worried about scent and have plenty of other things to carry). I usually don't even carry water.

As for backpacks, I always have one. I like having packable rain gear and a puffy vest with me, and those would be difficult to stuff into pockets. I do appreciate the minimalist approach though.
AgBass01
AG
I agree, only thing I carry in my backpack is my binos, range finder, a couple snacks, tp, headlight, and whatever I happen to be drinking at the moment. I take all the other stuff out and leave it in the truck so I'm not lugging that stuff around.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Some things I carry that I haven't seen mentioned are nitrile gloves for gutting, a big trashbag for ???, small bottle of hand sanitizer, tube of Neosporin and bandaids, and a lighter.
FTA03
AG
Maybe I missed it, but I always have a snakebite kit with me. Also carry my super Blackhawk with first two rounds as rat shot, just in case I have an anaconda in my stand.
phdag
drummer0415 said:

I won't go hunting unless it's somewhere I can bring beer to the stand with me.
Then you shouldn't go hunting. Go to a bar. I never understood how people think alcohol and fire arms are a good combination.
BCO07
AG
I heart the OB
BurrOak
AG
I generally don't take beer to the deer stand. But I will sometimes take a flask of bourbon if it's really cold and I have a chance of freezing my balls off.
AggieArcher17
AG
I only bowhunt, so I don't ever really fall into the category of alcohol and guns. But if I'm participating in a chill hog hunt in the offseason I'm 100% drinking a beer or bourbon and coke in the blind. I'm not drunk, and I'm not buzzed. Just relaxing and having a good time.

I've also found I shoot better with the edge taken off a little. So really I'm being a more ethical hunter by drinking!
drummer0415
AG
phdag said:

drummer0415 said:

I won't go hunting unless it's somewhere I can bring beer to the stand with me.
Then you shouldn't go hunting. Go to a bar. I never understood how people think alcohol and fire arms are a good combination.

This has already been addressed. See Shmelba's post above.

You self righteous people seriously need to take the stick out of your ass, relax, and learn to live a little.
AgEng06
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

I only bowhunt, so I don't ever really fall into the category of alcohol and guns.
Ha! Like you can't still shoot your dick off with your bow. Tread carefully buddy...
schmellba99
AG
AggieChemist said:

I for one, am getting tired of smelly's constant drum banging crusade to end the self righteousness on the OB. If we just all sat around agreeing with him all day this place would be boring.

I'm not truly better than you for the choices I make that differ from the choices that you make. But I'm free to make different choices, discuss them on texags, and sit in judgment of those that disagree with me. You're free to give me **** about catching bait or living in the sticks, and I'm free to think you're less of a man because you hunt with a crossbow over a protein feeder.

This used to be America, gaddammit.

We all get to judge, just like you do. Makes it fun at times, old and worn out at others. Meh.
Caliber
AG
NW80 said:

Never understood a backpack when your truck is less than a mile away. More likely than not, less than 400 yds away.
I've always been curious... for those that know NW80, is he really this crotchety is real life? Or is this just part of his Texags shtick? Or maybe he actually tones it down for us?
NW80
AG
Arrgghh!!!!!!
dubi
AG
Brad06ag said:

NW80 said:

I've always been curious... for those that know NW80, is he really this crotchety is real life? Or is this just part of his Texags shtick? Or maybe he actually tones it down for us?

If you saved lives all day every day, you would probably be grouchy too. If I mess up at work, no one dies. At worst my debits not equal my credits....

Tagguy
AG
NW80 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

Well not with that attitude.
AggieArcher17
AG
I'm honestly not sure I could do that if I tried
TheVarian
AG
I always wondered why I kept waking up in the ground after those two Four-Loko's
Tagguy
AG
TheVarian said:

I always wondered why I kept waking up in the ground after those two Four-Loko's
If you are waking up IN the ground you may be partying a bit too hard.
JSKolache
AG
NW80 said:

Never understood a truck when your feet are less than 3 feet away...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.