Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting backpack oddities you carry?

15,549 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
BrazosBull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep a roll of flagging tape in my bag. Works great when marking a trail on a lost or injured deer. Most of the time I am guiding rather than hunting but I end up looking for quite a few wounded deer, especially with bow hunters. The flagging tape is very handy
NW80
AG

All you've got to do is bend a limb over next to your trail....

Or, use a little TP ( its bio degradable).
PrestigeWW
AG
drummer0415 said:

phdag said:

drummer0415 said:

I won't go hunting unless it's somewhere I can bring beer to the stand with me.
Then you shouldn't go hunting. Go to a bar. I never understood how people think alcohol and fire arms are a good combination.

This has already been addressed. See Shmelba's post above.

You self righteous people seriously need to take the stick out of your ass, relax, and learn to live a little.
This
magnumtmp
AG
All this *****ing about beer and no one answers a condom????

Tx-Ag2010
AG
magnumtmp said:

Nice rack...
Eliminatus
AG
magnumtmp said:

You would use a condom on her? Pfff....F that. I'd try to put a baby in her so she would have to marry me. Raw dog yo.

Also, this thread is incredibly entertaining when I am procrastinating studying. Thanks everyone.
HTownAg98
My only problem with bringing beer to the stand is that it seems deer show up right when I need to take a leak. It's a ***** to try to aim accurately when you feel like your bladder is going to explode.
bam02
AG
NW80 said:

Guys you're right, there are ALOT of times where alcohol is envolved with bad injuries and stupid stunts that leave folks dead or dying. That happens far more often the the myriad examples Schmellba posted. The alcohol is a choice, mess are not.
This thread is not about the alcohol people choose to take to the blind with them. Hell, I had a Bourbon and water in the truck when we killed that Elk. But, it was waiting on the drive home.
This thread to me is more about what kind BS toys y'all feel are necessary to carry on your person hunting.
I carry 4 rounds in the magazine , 3 in my pocket, a Moore Maker Sodbuster in my pocket, binoculars around my neck, TP in my pocket and what ever clothes I'm wearing. That's it!
After 52 yrs of hunting deer in Texas guess what? That's ALL you need! The goatee wearing, gutshooting , scent blocker using TV turds have brainwashed y'all.

Well I guess that's it. End of thread. We all just got the official "what's ok to carry on your hunt list". Guess OP should have just asked for this in the beginning.

You're like an old woman gossiping about what the young ladies are wearing today.
Lungblood
I wipe with green cedar branches and trim my goatee with a rock.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I guess I'm pretty lucky

- I park my fire engine red truck behind my stand
- I pee off the back of my stand
- If I have to take a dump I do so with the TP in my truck and I poo while resting my butt on a tree I cut down for this purpose

I glow sticks and marking tape in case I have to find someone else's deer as 99% of the deer I hit drop in there tracks. I hunt 20min from my parents house so I do all my cleaning and gutting there.

I don't drink much beer anymore but I don't care if you do it don't. Everybody knows thier limits and should stay under it.
NW80
AG
Do you wear gloves??
NW80
AG
Excuse me, do you wear gloves to gut deer at your parents' house?
Lungblood
I cut myself on purpose and bled all over my kill yesterday just for you! I did it for youuuuuuu!

SanAntoneAg
AG
Lungblood said:

I cut myself on purpose and bled all over my kill yesterday just for you! I did it for youuuuuuu!

Dude, why are you laying on the ground?
Lungblood
Always lookin for a new challenge.
cuz-i-can
AG
NW80 said:

Do you wear gloves??
I wear gloves. I find that with this modern convenience that I don't have a longer cleanup. I have no shame in my game. I'm not scared of blood and guts and don't mind getting it on my hands. But if I had my choice in the field I will wear them because it is so much easier to cleanup after the "dirty work".
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
NW80 said:

Excuse me, do you wear gloves to gut deer at your parents' house?

If this is directed at me then no.

Not for pigs and deer and not when i was skinning coons
NW80
AG
Actually, regarding the gloves, they might be the ticket to keep blood out of my cuticles and fingernails! Just never gave them a thought from that standpoint.
From an infectious disease stand point .... nope!
But, you can wad up a pair in your a$$ pocket without a backpack!
Tagguy
AG
NW80 said:

you can wad up a pair in your a$$ pocket without a backpack!
Are you talking about using your ass as a pocket or the back pocket of your pants? Or do I want to know?
NW80
AG
Errr, the mellineal metrosexual term would be ..... hip pocket!
Buck Compton
AG
If we don't have any projects for the day, sometimes I'll stay out the entire day. So I bring a day pack with water, a book, lunch, flashlight, binoculars, and a beer or two to go along with my gun, knife, and a layer or two of clothing. Radio for if I get hurt, but it stays in the pack generally.

I hike just over a mile to the stand each way instead of taking a vehicle because I can always use the exercise. I'll occasionally get out and stalk a bit if things are dead. I don't feel like it's too bad of a deal to bring a backpack.
gigemJTH12
AG
so I am making a Cabela's run today to pick up some thermals and I remembered this thread from a while ago and remembered that it had a bunch of posts. So I found it today because I wanted to read through it to make sure there wasnt anything I should go buy.

Not what I expected.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Always thought this was a funny thread.
BabaAg
AG
Didn't read everything in post but when I was bow hunting I always carried a sling shot and plenty of "ammo" to run off critters I didn't want to shoot
ShinerDunk93
AG
BowBabaAg said:

Didn't read everything in post but when I was bow hunting I always carried a sling shot and plenty of "ammo" to run off critters I didn't want to shoot
I also carry a folding sling shot and a few marbles to encourage the cows to go away.

You can also hone your sling shot shooting skills firing at your empty beer cans. Just sayin'

TexAgs: as long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community
cuz-i-can
AG
I forgot about this thread....pretty classic NW80.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I don't even drink anymore and have no problem with beers in the stand. A few beers to pass the time or warm up is fine. Big difference in 3-4 beers vs a case. If you can't handle a 3 beers and shoot safely, you should find another sport.

Just realized this post was several years old. Fun read though

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.