Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

616,422 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HalifaxAg
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somewhere around here I've got a video of water up on the widows and windshield of the landcruiser as we went through a 5 foot deep hole.

#notimpressed
The Fife
Latest update shows him going into Mali. Looks like he's detouring around Sierra Leone and Liberia. Nigeria will be too big to detour around so that should be a fun one.
AggieChemist
Rocco S
Wow that mud pit looked super difficult to get through great job badass
Rocco S
Seriously not impressed. I've seen a guy drive his super charged Ram Charger out of a hole on the ground it and he were buried in after chugging a can of Pearl.
RO519
AG
That "mud pit" was nothing more than a wet road. I could make it through that in my 1/2 ton silverado with goodrich AT's
TexasAggie_02
AG
so when is he going to change this graphic of his intended route to include his detour?

Rocco S
RO519 said:

That "mud pit" was nothing more than a wet road. I could make it through that in my 1/2 ton silverado with goodrich AT's

A corvette could go through that
RO519
AG
Rocco S said:

RO519 said:

A corvette could go through that
Agreed
ursusguy
AG
If I was a jeep related sponsor to this goofball, I'd be pissed. Has the potential to be interesting/exciting, and instead he is boring as hell. Pretty sure I could go tour Africa in my Honda Ridgeline following his route so far. I was just waiting for his glowing reviews of how safe Nigeria and Liberia truly are and we just have skewed viewpoint.

Granted, to keep it interesting, he would have likely been dead or turned into a human pogo stick by now.
JYDog90
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

well, he got the tires muddy. still technically on the road though.

https://instagr.am/p/BPfgRyXjh7P

I went through worse than that in my Honda Odyssey going to the deer lease.
Scruffy
AG
willie wonka said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

well, he got the tires muddy. still technically on the road though.

https://instagr.am/p/BPfgRyXjh7P

I went through worse than that in my Honda Odyssey going to the deer lease.

I went through worse in my Saturn car back in high school.
AggieChemist
AG
Ibrahim is not impressed with your Jeep.

txags92
AG
He forgot #travelblogger...used to use it twice in every post.
Jackie Daytona
AG
ellebee
What a ****in chode
Watchful Ag
AG
Spotted in Victoria, TX. All lies.
ursusguy
AG
That one has better tires.
bkag9824
AG
TXAGFAN said:

AggieChemist said:

Texmid said:

Serious question, is there really a person (over the age of 9) on this planet who has not seen a white person? It's not like he has that Jeep some place a Land Cruiser cannot go. They may not see many white people, but, I'm sure they see one on occasion.

I went many places in Sierra Leone where I was quite the spectacle. I am quite certain I was the first white person ever in some of the Ebola villages.
I believe it. I went to China where there are literally a billion people and as a tall white guy was like some unicorn.

Same here. Showed kids a camera for the first time, seeing themselves on the screen was a trip.

Met plenty of folks who had never seen a Caucasian before.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Pretty sure I know the guy who owns that jeep
fightingfarmer09
Watchful Ag said:

Spotted in Victoria, TX. All lies.
The lady in that white Tahoe pulling out looks like she is calling the cops on you.
txags92
AG
Is he dead yet?
Bitter Old Man
AG
Given where he was when we last saw him, there is a good chance that he is...
ColoradoMooseHerd
Claims he has Malaria, I call bull***** Probably hanging out at a resort somewhere
AggieChemist
AG
If he's stupid enough to be in West Africa in the rainy season with no anti-malarials I guarantee he does.
txags92
AG
Probably just a fierce case of olive ****s...
javajaws
AG
txags92 said:

Probably just a fierce case of olive ****s...
He probably shat his britches after driving through that mud puddle.
Bitter Old Man
AG
AggieChemist said:

If he's stupid enough to be in West Africa in the rainy season with no anti-malarials I guarantee he does.
What do you mean "if?"
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

On a trip like mine through Africa, Malaria presents a problem. Conventional wisdom says to take an "anti-malarial" pill in the hopes of preventing infection, though for a number of reasons that's not really practical. All anti-malarial tables come with an increased sensitivity to the sun (they advise staying out of the sun. I can tell you that's very difficult in Africa), and they are hard on your liver in the long-term. All the advice is not to use them for too long, though nobody can quite say how long is too long.

I think two years is long.
Malarone does not have that side effect.

Quote:

One of the options requires taking a tablet daily, and is extremely expensive. Not only would I spent thousands on these tables alone, it's extremely likely the first border guard to find a stash of 700+ tables will confiscate them.
Malarone is a daily tablet, but you only have to take it 2 days before entering a Malaria infested area, and about 1 week after leaving. He wouldn't need a two-year supply. You don't really need it when you are in areas without mosquitoes.

Quote:

One of the other major options comes with side effects, usually related to severe, severe demented dreams and interrupted sleep.
Malarone does not have this side effect.

Quote:

The final option is to use bug spray, cover up at dawn and dusk (when the particular type of malaria-carrying mosquito is active) and really hope for the best.
Good Luck

Quote:

On my first afternoon in Bamako I venture into the city with a new local friend, and really am not thinking ahead. We are still out and about as dusk turns to evening, and I am wearing shorts. I get a lot of bites that night.
Wow, didn't even make it one whole day.

Quote:

It's possible to do a "quick test" which can be bought in any Pharmacy (there is one on every corner in Africa)
Maybe in Bamako, not all of Africa. He makes it sound like CVS and Walgreens.

Quote:

The "cure" medication is cheap enough, and every single street corner in every single town has a pharmacy that stocks it
That's not true. Maybe every town he's been to.

Quote:

During and after the whole thing I talk to a lot of people and learn a lot about Malaria. It turns out it's not nearly such a big deal as the Western media makes it out to be. Every single local here gets it every year, often a couple of times per year.
https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

Quote:

Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by a parasite that commonly infects a certain type of mosquito which feeds on humans
Quote:

Globally, the World Health Organization estimates that in 2015, 214 million clinical cases of malaria occurred, and 438,000 people died of malaria, most of them children in Africa.
Quote:

People who have little or no immunity to malaria, such as young children and pregnant women or travelers coming from areas with no malaria, are more likely to become very sick and die.
Sure, Dan listen to the people that live there and have antibodies built up. Maybe the next time you're in Mexico, you can chug down some water as well.
AggieChemist
AG
In addition to watching people die of Ebola, I watched children die of Malaria. The pictures in my mind of those children will never leave.

**** Rachel Carson, she has the blood of millions on her hands.
spud1910
AG
I had a friend that died of Malaria after returning to Sudan, his homeland. Another friend had to leave the mission field because of it.
BlueMiles
AG
It is what it is.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
This jackass is the person we were told not be be when we went through cross cultural training at Presbyterian World Mission. We've been told Eastern Zambia, where we live, is one of the worst places on earth for malaria. I don't know if that's true or not, but based on what we've seen, I wouldn't be surprised.

I take doxyciline and Melissa takes Larium. Doxy does have a possible side effect of sensitivity to the sun, but I work outside and I haven't had any problem. But we've heard of many deaths from malaria since we've been here, including a five year old girl at our church a few weeks ago, a baby across the street from our house, and others. Fortunately we haven't caught it, but there have been two Presbyterian mission co-workers whove come down with it after returning to the States on furlough in the past few months. Dan is showing his ignorance when he's says it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be.
AggieChemist
AG
I took my antimalarials in the morning.

They made for some amazing nightmares if taken before bed. After three or four nights of that they started going down with breakfast.
Guitarsoup
AG
When I was in the Sudan, it was their hot season. Too hot for mosquitos. I forgot which Anti-Malaria medicine I took, but I didn't take it at all. Never saw a single mosquito, even near the Nile. Did have to take Cipro because I was pretty much always in contact with such lovely things as meningitis, the nodding disease, and even polio.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.