Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

614,213 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by HalifaxAg
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know they have a huge set of resources to draw on, but it makes what the Top Gear guys have done on some of their trips pretty remarkable.
RogueAg
AG
Yeah.... if nothing else, that account tells me if I was going to do a trip like that... It's going to be in a Landcruiser. Not because it's necessarily the most capable vehicle for the job (maybe it is, I don't know) but because it's about the only vehicle you'd have a realistic shot of getting parts for WHEN something breaks.
aggieforester05
AG
That and you'll blend in a lot easier. An american jeep covered in cheesy stickers is going to stick out like a sore thumb and make him a target. I would be dressing grungy, grow a dark beard and get a super dark tan as well. Make yourself not look like a rich westerner. Try to study up on local cultures and basic communication skills at night when you're not driving. Keep a few spare wallets with little cash in them to satisfy robbers so you don't have to give up your main stash. Keep a plb and sat phone on your person and vehicle at all times.
ATX_AG_08
AG
If he doesn't want to get messed with he should just get a Doss sticker.
stdeb11
AG
One interesting note from that DRC trip report is they carried 270L of fuel (71 gallons). This idiot has the stock jeep capacity + a 13 gallon reserve = 35 gallons...about 1/2 of what they did. Guess his plan is to be able to stop more frequently for fuel?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
If you haven't yet, you all owe it yourselves to read the adventure story of a couple that spent time in the Congo doing a similar trip in a Landcruiser.

Warning: long

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa
Very interesting. If nothing else it shows how the roads are bad, a second person is needed to help dig out from the inevitable getting stuck 2 or 3 times a day, a second person is needed to scout out the road ahead for pitfalls, how everyone met will expect money, etc.

ETA: A typical road from the link -

BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
One interesting note from that DRC trip report is they carried 270L of fuel (71 gallons). This idiot has the stock jeep capacity + a 13 gallon reserve = 35 gallons...about 1/2 of what they did. Guess his plan is to be able to stop more frequently for fuel?

Plan?

hahahahahaha

techno-ag
AG
A typical day driving through the Congo:

quote:

About 50km before Kananga to road is blocked. The bridge is gone.

This happened very recently. People there pointed us to a detour. We had to take bicycle tracks all the way to Kamwanda (+- 30km) where there is another bridge and then continue from there.

We set off on a much to narrow track trough dense jungle.

It was getting late already and we were not sure if we would make it to Kananga today. Depending on the state of the bicycle tracks, we would have to stay in a village again.

The first village we encountered seemed deserted at first, but as soon as we entered the village we saw people coming at us from all sides. They had machetes and sticks and were shouting. "Des Blancs. Argent!" - "White people. Money!". They were all over the place. This was not good! I floored it and sped out of the village. A rock hit the back of our car.

What in gods name was that all about?

Very few Congolese had made us feel welcome, but this was plain agression! It scared the hell out of us.

We passed another village, and once again a mob formed as soon as they heard us coming. Machetes flying round, racist slogans shanted. Once again we did not give them the chance to get near us and blasted out of the village. They tried following us. This was turning ugly, if we would get stuck here we would be in big trouble, these people did not want a chat!

With half an hour of daylight left we knew we had a problem. We tried sending our coordinates to the homefront with the instructions to call the embassy if they did not hear from us within the hour. Despite us having bought SIM cards of the two major GSM operators, we did not have reception.

With our hearts racing we neared another village.
BringJackieBack89
AG
quote:
My number one question now is since he is living on credit how is this going to work? In Africa you need cash, in some of the biggest cities the hotel/restaurant areas with tourists might take credit cards, but the rest you can only operate in cash.

We have some offices in West Africa and they have petty cash to pay for local items. They also usually keep an emergency safe for when SHTF and the expats need to get the hell out.
The cash point is spot on. They do not take credit cards anywhere in Gabon, for instance.
javajaws
AG
Cash advance - duh!

It's not like he's gonna live to pay back that 30% interest rate anyway.
Kenneth_2003
AG
How long till the bank shuts those credit cards completely off?
Mathguy64
AG
About 2 days after the Prince of Nigeria makes his withdrawal.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
The shame of it, is, that if it wasn't for the whole "not possible to live through it," part - it would be an amazing trip
texrover91
AG
quote:
A typical day driving through the Congo:

quote:

About 50km before Kananga to road is blocked. The bridge is gone.

This happened very recently. People there pointed us to a detour. We had to take bicycle tracks all the way to Kamwanda (+- 30km) where there is another bridge and then continue from there.

We set off on a much to narrow track trough dense jungle.

It was getting late already and we were not sure if we would make it to Kananga today. Depending on the state of the bicycle tracks, we would have to stay in a village again.

The first village we encountered seemed deserted at first, but as soon as we entered the village we saw people coming at us from all sides. They had machetes and sticks and were shouting. "Des Blancs. Argent!" - "White people. Money!". They were all over the place. This was not good! I floored it and sped out of the village. A rock hit the back of our car.

What in gods name was that all about?

Very few Congolese had made us feel welcome, but this was plain agression! It scared the hell out of us.

We passed another village, and once again a mob formed as soon as they heard us coming. Machetes flying round, racist slogans shanted. Once again we did not give them the chance to get near us and blasted out of the village. They tried following us. This was turning ugly, if we would get stuck here we would be in big trouble, these people did not want a chat!

With half an hour of daylight left we knew we had a problem. We tried sending our coordinates to the homefront with the instructions to call the embassy if they did not hear from us within the hour. Despite us having bought SIM cards of the two major GSM operators, we did not have reception.

With our hearts racing we neared another village.

The ghosts of King Leopold were swinging those machetes - those Belgians got some stones!

Hats off to 'em

Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
quote:
If you haven't yet, you all owe it yourselves to read the adventure story of a couple that spent time in the Congo doing a similar trip in a Landcruiser.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

I don't want to sound over the top, but that was one of the most fascinating tales I've read on the internet in quite some time. Frederick and Josephine have an endearing combination of steadfast temperament and love of adventure. I would have never been able to maneuver my way through that trip. Thanks for posting this.
The Fife
quote:

To get an idea about what might happen to the guy - it's more screwed up than I ever imagined over there.

quote:
"Y"'s brother went fishing in Missa and saw mischief like cutting of ears. They fry the ears in a pan eat them. They make the victims look at how their own ears are being fried and eaten. They are being accused of cooperation with the Congolese FAC army. The May May continue to eat humans. Y's brother managed to escape to Bukama, this is where I met him.

They kill those four soldiers and eat them. They then carry one of the heads of the murdered soldiers to Kintobongo and put the head on the table in our mission. They do this as warning not to attack hem, if not this is what happens.

..The hunters (May-May) asked food at the woman of Chef Kitumba. The women told they did not have food. The hunters then demanded that they roast their children for them to eat.

05/ 12/ 2004.
This is after the war officially ended.

I made use of the time my two guards entered their hut to eat the meal they made out of a young woman that the MayMay just killed.

21/04/2006
We are living in a situation of pure and simple cannibalism. The may-may plunder, rape and kill the civilian population. They then eath their meat, raw or smoked. This is true for the May-MAy chief Kabale, who was killed recently (15/05/2006) by the population of Kayumba.
End Of Message
AG
Wow. Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread yet. I've been to Africa numerous times, though all in the south or east. However, my mom lived and worked in Lagos for several years.

She was kidnapped, and only survived by jumping out of a moving car. That all happened with a support team in place.

This guy doesn't make it two weeks.
HowdyOutbound
quote:
quote:

Very interesting. If nothing else it shows how the roads are bad, a second person is needed to help dig out from the inevitable getting stuck 2 or 3 times a day, a second person is needed to scout out the road ahead for pitfalls, how everyone met will expect money, etc.

My money is on him getting stuck in the mud somewhere without the ability to negotiate with someone to pull him out, and then he dead.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So ignoring political issues/cannibals, the best way to make this trip would be... In a group with a large string of horses? With pre-staged supplies of additional mounts?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
So ignoring political issues/cannibals, the best way to make this trip would be... In a group with a large string of horses? With pre-staged supplies of additional mounts?
the sad part is that this brochacho would actually have a better shot if that was the case.
Zemira
AG
quote:
I didn't know horses were prominent in Africa. I would be afraid they would steal the horses for food. I would think 2 land rovers would make more sense.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Damn..this guys traveled through Congo wearing Crocs!!

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
They well may not be - the road pictured just looks far easier to ride through than drive through - and grass appears to be more common than gasoline.

But I'm sure a dirigible is the correct choice
Guitarsoup
AG
Land Cruisers, not Land Rovers. Big difference.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
So ignoring political issues/cannibals, the best way to make this trip would be...

...not to.
Waltonloads08
AG
bmc13
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Damn..this guys traveled through Congo wearing Crocs!!

acts as extra insurance. they know you just don't give a f if they see you in crocs with socks. best to keep your distance in the wild jungle.
texrover91
AG
quote:
Land Cruisers, not Land Rovers. Big difference.

True.

But I wouldn't take two Jeeips for one rover in Africa
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

My money is on him getting stuck in the mud somewhere without the ability to negotiate with someone to pull him out, and then he dead.
And that was actually one of the nicer roads. When things got really bad, their Landcruiser would tip over on one side due to extreme ruts and dips in the road. They figured out how to keep going, most of the time, and bounce back up. Then whoever's side it was would get out and hammer the dents out.

They sheared the bolts off a rear wheel and had to MacGyver a fix.

They limped along in FWD only, paying some locals to help level the road and give them a push when needed, then their drive train went out. Some locals were able to make new lug bolts from scratch for them, but someone had to go to a nearby village to scavenge the parts of an old Landcruiser that happened to be sitting there.
Zemira
AG
Thanks I got those mixed up! But anyhow I think I would chance a vehicle (landcruiser) over changing out for horses that don't exist.
ursusguy
AG
Keep in mind horses don't do well in large chunks of Africa.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Because they'll be stolen and eaten?
Naveronski
AG
quote:
Because they'll be stolen and eaten?
That seems to be a theme here.
chase128
AG
I just spent my Saturday afternoon reading their story of the trip through the Congo.

Amazing.

Their Congo trip was just a small portion of their two year journey through parts of Asia and Africa. Incredible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.