Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

614,148 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by HalifaxAg
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took Malarone when i went to Mali. Never had any issues with it. I also wore long sleeves, pants, and used 99% DEET and mosquito nets.

YMMV

Also, what Dan fails to realize is that if he didn't take the correct dosage of the cure from the corner drugstore then the parasite may go dormant in his liver, causing a relapse at a later date.
Brush Country
How many weeks ago did he die?
ursusguy
AG
If malaria isn't that big a deal, no worries, Africa has a few interesting diseases for you to try out later.

Holy hell this dude is an idiot.
byfLuger41
The Fife
I also noticed that updates stopped after the 'Malaria? NBD' post...
aggieforester05
AG
I always assumed it would be some machete or AK-47 wielding Africans with a total disregard for human life that would get him, not malaria.
Caliber
AG
While I didn't think infectious disease would be his undoing, We all knew it would be his own stupidity!

Kinda curious if he really is in bad shape...
TexasAggie_02
AG
from one of his recent posts, he did not plan ahead on getting visas before his trip, so he may be stuck trying to get one somewhere. ie, in Mali as an Australian citizen trying to get visas from various other countries' embassies. Since he is not from Mali, and not from the countries of the embassies he's visiting, they are telling him to pound sand and go to the appropriate embassies in Australia.

TexasAggie_02
AG
The Fife said:

I also noticed that updates stopped after the 'Malaria? NBD' post...
his last instagram post is from 2 weeks ago

EDIT: his last post on reddit was also 2 weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/user/grecy
ursusguy
AG
So?

*Malaria is a bigger deal (since apparently it is overhyped and not a big deal).
*Embarassed and trying to get visas
*Sitting in a African jail after annoying the crap out of officials (ie refused to pay)
*Suddenly had a "family emergency"
*Dead
Bitter Old Man
AG
ursusguy said:

So?

*Malaria is a bigger deal (since apparently it is overhyped and not a big deal).
*Sitting in a African jail after annoying the crap out of officials (ie refused to pay)
*Dead
Do we have to pick just one?
Mathguy64
AG
I gave up on this thread a long time back as Dan seemed to basically be getting nowhere fast. So I pop back in to see that:
1. He really hasnt gotten very far.
2. He's still a complete moron.
3. He actually be dead from malaria.

I think I had some date in September in the deadpool.
FrioAg 00
AG
#2 and #3, leading to #5
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
khkman22
AG
ursusguy said:

So?

*Dead
With the delay in his postings, I decided to check Emily's website. She said he was embarrassed and trying to get visas the first couple of days. When he determined he wouldn't be able to get one, or have to wait a while to get one, he decided to continue past the checkpoint, telling them he had a family emergency as he rolled through. He made it, but got stuck in a mud puddle and burned up his gas trying to floor it to get out. Since he refused to buy any of the liter bottles from the "side of the road" vendors, he had no options. Once they caught up to him, they threw him in jail. He just died two days ago, and due to his auto delayed posting to hide his whereabouts, it was determined he was actually thrown jail about a month ago, where he contracted malaria shortly thereafter, leading to his death.

Who had February 25?
Hulla Baller
AG
Is he dead or not? I need confirmation!
suprafly03
The Fife
khkman22 said:

ursusguy said:

So?

*Dead
With the delay in his postings, I decided to check Emily's website. She said he was embarrassed and trying to get visas the first couple of days. When he determined he wouldn't be able to get one, or have to wait a while to get one, he decided to continue past the checkpoint, telling them he had a family emergency as he rolled through. He made it, but got stuck in a mud puddle and burned up his gas trying to floor it to get out. Since he refused to buy any of the liter bottles from the "side of the road" vendors, he had no options. Once they caught up to him, they threw him in jail. He just died two days ago, and due to his auto delayed posting to hide his whereabouts, it was determined he was actually thrown jail about a month ago, where he contracted malaria shortly thereafter, leading to his death.

Who had February 25?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
AggieChemist
AG
What a puss.

Go or don't go. Just shut the *****up already.
Caliber
AG
As usual, he is much further along than his posting suggests... but maybe not all that popular with other overlanders...

He is at least as far a Cameroon.

http://www.ronperrier.net/2017/02/28/cameroon-the-trip/
Quote:

Other overlanders. So far on the trip, we have met several others doing our trip, Morocco to Cape Town, most in camperized SUVs. Their main challenge was also visas. Some of them were a Swedish couple with two kids, a German couple in a huge overland vehicle, a Swiss couple, the 5 motorcyclists from Holland, the American couple on motorcycles driven from Alaska, a Hungarian couple (needed a Namibian visa obtained in the home country even though their was no embassy there), a South African/British couple, the hot-air balloonists form England, and at Six Mile an Australian (still with no Angola visa) and a German couple traveling together in separate vehicles.
The Australian, Dan Grec was a very interesting fellow. Driving a Jeep Wrangler converted for camping with a pop-up roof, it had Yukon license plates. He had worked in Whitehorse for 6 years, traveled through the states (attended a Jeep jamboree in Moab) and shipped his vehicle to Belgium from Halifax, Nova Scotia. It had taken him 7 months to get to where we were in 3 months and he was continuing to Cairo after Cape Town. He blogs on theroadchoseme.com, wikioverland.org (a site he created) and jeepforum.com and is writing for 4 magazines and trying to sell photographs. His sites are monetized and he is almost paying for his trip with income from them. His email address is dan@theroadchoseme.com
He initially started his travels in 2009 when he drove his Jeep form Alaska to Argentina. His mission could be summarized by some of the statements on a brochure he gave me: "Inspiring others to explore their dreams", "to prove to myself that a life of exploration, self-reliance and life-long learning is achievable on the road", "to give others the tools to break from normality and start living their dreams" and "wrong turns are opportunities to make new friends". After Africa, his plans are to do the Silk Road and continue to Beijing and Russia. He hopes Jeep will give him a new Wrangler to continue his journey.

He is really going to have to step up his game if he wants that free jeep...
Guitarsoup
AG
Jeep would probably rather him keep using his Jeep to show it could circle Africa, then drive the Silk Road. Why give him a new one?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Wait... there are ******s paying for crap off his websites?
Caliber
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Wait... there are ******s paying for crap off his websites?
Not necessarily off his site directly, but through links to products he is "reviewing". He gets a cut if you buy a product by going through an amazon link in his review.
bedofbrass33
AG
This jackass actually making money off his monetized sites is irrefutable proof to me that the gene pool has gotten very shallow.

Him bragging about it to other travelers is the height of arrogance.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
He just posed on IG

Mmmmmm egg lettuce wraps
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Quote:

It had taken him 7 months to get to where we were in 3 months
LMAO
ursusguy
AG
Well, guess he is alive.
txags92
AG
ursusguy said:

Well, guess he is alive.

For now...
Mr. McGibblets
AG
In it to win it!!!
Texmid
AG
Can we keep the date we picked for 2016 and have it apply to 2017?
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Holy isht. Just read all 76 pages, not skipping ahead because I just knew there had to be a conclusion by page 76...

Very anticlimactic. But if we were to take a dozen teenage Eagle Scouts to Africa, they wouldn't have forgotten long sleeves or Deet spray....

It iS what It IS
Whoop04
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

On a trip like mine through Africa, Malaria presents a problem. Conventional wisdom says to take an "anti-malarial" pill in the hopes of preventing infection, though for a number of reasons that's not really practical. All anti-malarial tables come with an increased sensitivity to the sun (they advise staying out of the sun. I can tell you that's very difficult in Africa), and they are hard on your liver in the long-term. All the advice is not to use them for too long, though nobody can quite say how long is too long.

I think two years is long.
Malarone does not have that side effect.
Quote:

One of the other major options comes with side effects, usually related to severe, severe demented dreams and interrupted sleep.
Malarone does not have this side effect.

These aren't real side effects? If not, my Corpsman lied to me.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

Holy isht. Just read all 76 pages, not skipping ahead because I just knew there had to be a conclusion by page 76...

Very anticlimactic. But if we were to take a dozen teenage Eagle Scouts to Africa, they wouldn't have forgotten long sleeves or Deet spray....

It iS what It IS

i don't know what's worse, dan or the constant bumping and overall length of this thread with so very little actual content.
Naveronski
AG
Whoop04 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

On a trip like mine through Africa, Malaria presents a problem. Conventional wisdom says to take an "anti-malarial" pill in the hopes of preventing infection, though for a number of reasons that's not really practical. All anti-malarial tables come with an increased sensitivity to the sun (they advise staying out of the sun. I can tell you that's very difficult in Africa), and they are hard on your liver in the long-term. All the advice is not to use them for too long, though nobody can quite say how long is too long.

I think two years is long.
Malarone does not have that side effect.
Quote:

One of the other major options comes with side effects, usually related to severe, severe demented dreams and interrupted sleep.
Malarone does not have this side effect.

These aren't real side effects? If not, my Corpsman lied to me.

I don't know the validity of the information either way.

However, the military as a whole is horrible about perpetuating bad information.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.