The Division Beta

29,707 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bryan98
PapaKilo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got the gold AR. Not quite instagib, but pretty close.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Been running around for the last hour or so in a wolf pack of rogues. It's been glorious.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
The shotty or the AR?

The AR.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Here's a screenshot of most of the group that wolf packed the DZ. We all had a gentleman's agreement not to shoot each other for a time. Then everyone lost the ability to see each others' tags and all hell broke loose.

LawAg05
AG
Pretty fun game. My big complaint was the space to NPC ratio. Lots of running before you found something to kill. Full game should have a bunch more missions, but the beta was tedious at times
Tex117
AG
quote:
Pretty fun game. My big complaint was the space to NPC ratio. Lots of running before you found something to kill. Full game should have a bunch more missions, but the beta was tedious at times
I think they have addressed this saying that the full release will be different with more NPC...enemies etc. along with more fast travel points closer to the dark zone...etc...Who knows if this will happen.

I didn't have much of an issue going solo in the DZ. Best way to do it is see if someone has called in an extraction, wait far back while rogue guys do their thing...run in at the end and clean up anyone that's left...profit.

Oh, and killing a rogue that has a manhunt bounty is awesome.

They really do need to give more of a reason to go into the DZ other than just to patrol and take out rogues. Give some sort of objective. Its fun just going out on patrol, but wont have long legs if that's all there is.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Are you talking about the DZ? I think part of my issue with the DZ, which during the beta encourages people to go rogue, is that with the number of people in such a small space we are just ripping through the NPC's in fairly short order. I'm hoping that once they actually open the map up that some of this will be resolved. Considering the size of the map, I'm really hoping that the frequency at which you run across players in the DZ decreases. Because in the beta you can run across a player just about at every corner. And while that makes the world interesting, it is also extremely annoying rounding the corner only to find out that the enemies you had pulse scanned are now all dead from another player/group that did the same thing.

I think one of the problems, as some have mentioned, with the DZ is the rogue system as it stands now. The risk vs reward ratio seems to be somewhat underwhelming. Go level 1 and survive get 200 DZ creds. Max out and from what I have been told you get between 700 to 1000 DZ creds. Comparatively, go rogue and die, even at level 1 rogue rank you can lose more than what you would make. I just don't see the benefit unless you have a huge group running around with an agreement not to kill each other, to going rogue considering that you end up with a giant target on your back and everyone and their dog will start to hunt you. Even in a group of three, it was really difficult not to get killed as rogues. Going rogue as a solo player is almost impossible to survive, excluding using the exploit that is currently in the beta which I expect to be gone at release.

It's more profitable to actually hunt rogues (even accidental ones) than it is to be a rogue.

Personally, I'd like to see the DZ have some daily type of missions rather than just do the regular encounter type stuff like beta right now. Like, log in have a single chance mission (fail upon death) that updates daily for the player.

Overall, I am keeping my preorder. I have had a lot of fun with random groups (I think I grouped up with a fellow texag user, dredsen I think) most of the time. I like the proximity chat/voip function, it makes game play pretty interesting. Especially when you are walking down the street and you hear a literal whisper about you and your group walking down the street, pulsing to find a group of guys above you. Ups the intensity of the game a good bit IMO. I like the level of detail in the world and on the characters (leaving foot prints, character being covered in snow) and the weather in the game is amazing. When it is snowing at night and you can barely see in front of you, it's really impressive.

Besides my complaint above, one of my other complaints has to be that I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of structures that are open that you can go into and explore. I don't expect every building to be open, but I did expect to be able to go into some buildings and have random encounters with NPC's rather than having the majority of the encounters in the street.
LawAg05
AG
Yep. was fun.
-Dresden_15
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sweet! I thought you were here on the forum.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
It's more profitable to actually hunt rogues (even accidental ones) than it is to be a rogue.
I personally really like this. You don't want the entire DZ to be one big death match arena. You have to give people some pause before being an a-hole. The fact that it's risky going rogue (you have a lot to lose) is nice.

But I will completely agree that there needs to be some balancing on the rogue status. I understand that your rogue status will increase with every kill... but once you are full on level 5 rogue (man hunt) the timer should start at 5 minutes and only stop/reset if you die. The way it is right now (resets every time you shoot somebody who's hunting you down) is pretty much pointless.

But overall I'm a fan. I too really like the PvE stuff, and the dark zone is a really cool concept. Looking forward to how DZ evolves over time with updates and new DLC. There is a lot they can do with it.
jeffk
AG
I'm going to keep my gold edition pre-order.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I'm going to keep my gold edition pre-order.
Awesome! I was wondering about that. Peer pressure... so I guess I will too. I was probably going to do this anyhow, but I might have been swayed if most of my go-to coop partners were just going with the vanilla copy. So there will at least be two of us ready to cause some trouble every time new content is added!!!
Kampfers
AG
I'll likely end up preordering through amazon.

The two big concerns I have are pretty simple. First, lack of NPCs in the DZ (as has been mentioned recently in this thread). The devs have stated that they lowered the number of NPCs for the beta because they needed to test PVP balance, so this complaint should be resolved for launch.

The other is the rogue system... I should never be marked as rogue for returning fire. I don't care if they didn't do much damage... If they shoot at you, they should be marked as rogue. Maybe have a very very short timer for low level damage, but the current reality of people baiting you into becoming a rogue has to be stopped. The main reason it's an issue is because you have no way of knowing whether the guy will keep shooting (in which case you're ****ed if you sit and wait) or whether he's trying to bait you.

And because the rogue system resets with each spawn, there's no way to know whether a guy is primarily acting as a rogue or as a friendly.
jr15aggie
AG
Did any of you XB1 guys also get to try it out on PC. What did you think? I know a couple of y'all were debating whether to go console or PC master race on this game.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I personally really like this. You don't want the entire DZ to be one big death match arena. You have to give people some pause before being an a-hole. The fact that it's risky going rogue (you have a lot to lose) is nice.

But I will completely agree that there needs to be some balancing on the rogue status. I understand that your rogue status will increase with every kill... but once you are full on level 5 rogue (man hunt) the timer should start at 5 minutes and only stop/reset if you die. The way it is right now (resets every time you shoot somebody who's hunting you down) is pretty much pointless.
Right, even though right now since everyone has capped out in beta it is a giant death match arena. My point is that the risk vs reward system for being a rogue doesn't quite justify it. Especially since if you are doing it for items, you only get the regular zone currency and not DZ currency for selling the items.

I agree completely that if you reach manhunt status that the counter should only count down from that point. It resetting after shooting someone, and hanging while being shot should be tweaked. Also, I'd be for getting rid of the resetting timer/adding of time if you shoot someone but don't kill them at the lower rogue ranks. I mean, unless you are in a really defensible position running is your only option and you still have a very high chance of dying.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
And because the rogue system resets with each spawn, there's no way to know whether a guy is primarily acting as a rogue or as a friendly.
I think giving people who act as a rogue often a semi-permanent red bar/tag when you target them would be a great solution. Or even giving them a different color when you scan them would be a good step.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Thoughts on this?

PC Version Will Be Plagued With Cheaters

mid90
AG
quote:
Thoughts on this?

Good lord. How many years has this been delayed? And still huge f'ups like this exist?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Most of the time when I died in DZ, I died legitimately. I think I only died once or twice to the invisible bugged guys. I found the exploiters (go rogue, exploit, and wait out the cool down) to be far more in number than any suspected cheaters I may have seen.

In R6 Siege, Ubi hasn't done a damn thing about exploiters so if people find exploits I doubt Ubi will do anything. Especially if it is outside their control (the whole invisibility stuff). As to the cheating, yeah I'm sure it will happen like it does in virtually every game out there. I've seen fairfight ban more than one person in R6, in ranked play no less. Here's hoping that some of it sorted since its a month out from release, but I'm kind of doubtful since R6 (at least ranked play, which isn't worth touching IMO) is still a crap-shoot.
nomad2007
AG
quote:
Thoughts on this?

That's a huge screw up, and not really something that can be resolved with an anti-cheat. Client side data works fine for console because it's so hard to modify those files, but not on PC. PC games need anti-cheat software and server side checks for data values. I'm going to wait a few days after launch to decide if i'm gonna buy. I don't play those games for PvE.
jeffk
AG
I'm showing my age here, but what is "griefing?"
Dro07
AG
Played Beta for two days. I initially canceled my order when I saw a few vids about it but I think I am gonna go ahead and get it after all
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure it's somebody who's being a D-bag! I think the only distinction is it has to be somebody who isn't cheating or hacking... it's something the game physically allows, but not how the game was intended to be played.

A good example might be in the Division hanging out by the DZ entrance gate. As soon as somebody walks into the DZ you friggin blast them before they can even move. Is it allowed... yes... are you giant a-hole... indeed!
jeffk
AG
Makes sense.

On a related, very important note - what's everyone's favorite clothing item so far?

I look fabulous in my trapper hat.

EDIT - it pairs really well with my scarf.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm showing my age here, but what is "griefing?"
Well.... I guess wolf packing with a bunch of rogues fits the bill.

Generally it's continual harassment and irritating players. In this game I'd say examples would be camping extraction points killing people just to kill people, using exploits to annoy players like the invisibility/invincibility bug, or camping entrance points and killing players as soon as they come in repeatedly. I'd also throw in hunting down specific players repeatedly who are not rogues. It's all technically allowed, but definitely not how the game is designed to be played.
jeffk
AG
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1382806-Closed-Beta-Cheating

They're working on it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Good to hear, but I have tempered my optimism.
GigEmAgs14
AG
I love playing the beta and am pleased with it thus far but part of me is thinking this game will end up like Battlefront. Exciting at first but will dwindle down next to nothing within a month or so
jabberwalkie09
AG
Except it already has more content than Battlefront will. And that's at launch.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
Except it already has more content than Battlefront will. And that's at launch.
This is true...
thaed137
AG
Got to play a lot yesterday since I was home sick from work. Enjoyed the main mission just like the Alpha. I hope there are a lot of missions like that and not something that can be completed in like 5-8 hours. Agree on the point that it felt like a lot of just running around but hope with more fast travel points it gets easier in that regard. DZ was a lot of fun and was very tense. I had success solo getting stuff extracted but it's always a hold your breath moment when there are like five players around the extraction all looking at each other like don't kill me....don't kill me...don't...yes extract go run! Seth, SahsWolverine, and I ran around last night it was good time. Once the map gets bigger, I hope the NPCs increase and the players per sqft goes down to some degree. Hunting rogues was a lot of fun though. Had to pay attention to the count down timer as went to shoot a rogue a few times only for him to turn back to normal and then make me the rogue. I also like how the dark zone will split up by relative levels for each player so you don't have a lvl 50 person destroying a bunch of lvl 5 people.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
Got to play a lot yesterday since I was home sick from work. Enjoyed the main mission just like the Alpha. I hope there are a lot of missions like that and not something that can be completed in like 5-8 hours. Agree on the point that it felt like a lot of just running around but hope with more fast travel points it gets easier in that regard. DZ was a lot of fun and was very tense. I had success solo getting stuff extracted but it's always a hold your breath moment when there are like five players around the extraction all looking at each other like don't kill me....don't kill me...don't...yes extract go run! Seth, SahsWolverine, and I ran around last night it was good time. Once the map gets bigger, I hope the NPCs increase and the players per sqft goes down to some degree. Hunting rogues was a lot of fun though. Had to pay attention to the count down timer as went to shoot a rogue a few times only for him to turn back to normal and then make me the rogue. I also like how the dark zone will split up by relative levels for each player so you don't have a lvl 50 person destroying a bunch of lvl 5 people.
This also poses a problem. I was trying to play with a friend of mine on xb1 who was in a chat party with me. Because he was in a different "bracket", we could not play together until I leveled up enough to where he was.
The problem with this is that with a normal group of friends playing together, some within the group might level up faster than the others, thus leaving the other group members unable to play with everyone
thaed137
AG
So Seth was in the a higher level DZ than us. Once he was part of our group his name flashed red indicating he couldn't roll with us because of that. Under the group menu on Seth it gave us the option to join his DZ level. It appears your group can play together as long as you go to the higher level. You can't bring a person down a level which makes sense as you could bring a lvl 50 down to a lvl 5 DZ due to this which would be crappy for everyone else.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
So Seth was in the a higher level DZ than us. Once he was part of our group his name flashed red indicating he couldn't roll with us because of that. Under the group menu on Seth it gave us the option to join his DZ level. It appears your group can play together as long as you go to the higher level. You can't bring a person down a level which makes sense as you could bring a lvl 50 down to a lvl 5 DZ due to this which would be crappy for everyone else.
I tried this but did not see the option.
wee_ag
AG
I never saw the option to join other group members in DZ either, but they were able to join on me. Not sure if it was because I was higher level or just a glitch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.