SiriusXM are you kidding me $$$

13,107 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm paying $24 for one radio primarily for sports channels, especially college football. I take it I'm paying too much based on the premise of this thread?

Am I understanding this thread correctly -- I can call and name my rate and they will give it to me???
The Fife
quote:
I have it because some counties have zero cell coverage (Talking about you Milam County) and the sports talk & games.
I don't have it, but this. It's also why I can't stream anything to my phone at work thanks to the wonderful materials our buildings are made of.
cr0wbar
AG
quote:
I'm paying $24 for one radio primarily for sports channels, especially college football. I take it I'm paying too much based on the premise of this thread?

Am I understanding this thread correctly -- I can call and name my rate and they will give it to me???
Essentially just start off with a "I'd like to cancel"

They'll apologize, thank you for your business "But first I'd like to offer you"...

Repeat process 1-2 more times until they offer he 5-6 months @ $25
nai06
AG
We have a free 3 month subscription in a new car but I can't see myself paying for in the future. The sound quality is just so awful.
Ag12thman
AG
quote:
quote:

Essentially just start off with a "I'd like to cancel"

They'll apologize, thank you for your business "But first I'd like to offer you"...

Repeat process 1-2 more times until they offer he 5-6 months @ $25
I will definitely give this a shot. I didn't realize the subscriptions were negotiable, but I can see how they probably just need some $$$ coming in from as many customers as possible.

Aggie_3
Then something is wrong with your radio
nai06
AG
quote:
Then something is wrong with your radio

I'm pretty sure it's not my radio. I listened to it in several rentals, friends cars, and family cars. Every time the sound has a terrible tinny quality. A quick Google search shows me I'm not alone in that opinion.
bmc13
AG
he's correct. quality is pretty bad. they compress the sheet out of pretty much all the streams. I think there are a few channels with higher bitrates though. maybe the pops channel is one.
nai06
AG
If it was high quality I would pay for it in a heart beat
Aggie_3
its still better than normal radio
Diggity
AG
sound wise? I don't think so. Definitely not better than HD radio.

They just don't have enough spectrum on Sirius to shoehorn in all those stations (plus traffic & weather, plus private business radio stations, etc.) and keep the sound quality high.

It's a trade off to get more customers, and it's apparently working for them.
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
sound wise? I don't think so. Definitely not better than HD radio.

They just don't have enough spectrum on Sirius to shoehorn in all those stations (plus traffic & weather, plus private business radio stations, etc.) and keep the sound quality high.

It's a trade off to get more customers, and it's apparently working for them.

Sounds fine and better than the radio in my '14 Tundra. But I'm also not an audiophile (the Pono and similar hi-fi setups are all hype to me).
Diggity
AG
I think you are in the majority that it doesn't bother you (enough to cancel at least) so it was probably a good decision on their part.

Listen to the traffic stations and you can get a good idea of what over-compression does to their sound.
BadMoonRisin
AG
My trial just ran out on my car and Im considering subscribing. I really like the Jason Ellis show on Faction XM 41. I also liked listening to Aggie Baseball on the sports channels.

What do I need to sign up? My car's VIN number? Should I wait til after work to do it?

The music id much rather just listen to spotify.
Diggity
AG
they should have sent you some "special offer" in the mail.
Ag12thman
AG
Don't pay the normal rate like I am currently and have been for like 3 years now. Read above - everyone saying you can get it at significant cost reduction.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
I had it for several years and the quality is OK. It's better than normal radio but nothing near like what you'd get from your iPod (assuming at least 256) or able to stream from Apple or Spotify. For me, the lack of commercials on music stations was the biggest draw as well as the ability to listen to tons of college football games on the way to and from B/CS during football season.

One of my biggest complaints is that during the holidays (you know, when you're more apt to drive long distances), they'd usually do "So and so's Thanksgiving Takeover" which is nothing more than a live show and then replaying it over and over and over all weekend. The wife and I drove to Iowa a few years ago for Thanksgiving and Toby Keith was the artist on Prime Country, so I was ready to drive head on into a semi coming the opposite direction by the time I was in Huntsville. It was really ****ing irritating to plan on listening to it the whole way and not have a live DJ actually running a radio station.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
quote:
I had it for several years and the quality is OK. It's better than normal radio but nothing near like what you'd get from your iPod (assuming at least 256) or able to stream from Apple or Spotify. For me, the lack of commercials on music stations was the biggest draw as well as the ability to listen to tons of college football games on the way to and from B/CS during football season.

One of my biggest complaints is that during the holidays (you know, when you're more apt to drive long distances), they'd usually do "So and so's Thanksgiving Takeover" which is nothing more than a live show and then replaying it over and over and over all weekend. The wife and I drove to Iowa a few years ago for Thanksgiving and Toby Keith was the artist on Prime Country, so I was ready to drive head on into a semi coming the opposite direction by the time I was in Huntsville. It was really ****ing irritating to plan on listening to it the whole way and not have a live DJ actually running a radio station.
Which is why the RIB and I have an agreement to only listen to "Holiday Traditions" which is their
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
I just wait until they call/mail me the 6 months for $25 promotion.

Then I go get a $30 visa gift card and pay it all at once. When my 6 months are up, they can't keep charging me. Then I again wait for the call. Usually a week or 2.

Been doing this for 5-6 years.
Not sure if you still post on here but I am considering trying SiriusXM and this is a genius idea
bevokilla
AG
quote:
quote:

Then I go get a $30 visa gift card and pay it all at once. When my 6 months are up, they can't keep charging me. Then I again wait for the call. Usually a week or 2.

Not sure if you still post on here but I am considering trying SiriusXM and this is a genius idea
You don't even have to do this. You can have them mail you an invoice and just pay by check. They won't have a credit card on file to autorenew
FatZilla
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't even have to do this. You can have them mail you an invoice and just pay by check. They won't have a credit card on file to autorenew
They charge you a $2 invoice fee doing this though. Just something to keep in mind.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They charge you a $2 invoice fee doing this though. Just something to keep in mind.

Which IIRC is more than a Visa prepaid card.
aggieforester05
AG
I just noticed they've been billing me for the last few months even though I canceled the service. I have an email confirming cancellation and it quit working in my car at the time. Now it's working in my car again and they are billing me. That's some pretty crooked ****.
agfan2013
AG
Yep. Request an invoice and pay by check, when the sub is up they can't charge you again. They send a new bill, I say I'm thinking of canceling, they offer a new rate that's usually less than half what it originally was going to be, and done.
Jackass2004
AG
I find myself nowadays just listening to technical podcasts and Pandora for music. And if neither of those just one of those jack fm radio stations. That's about it.
cr0wbar
AG
No Sirius until they bring back Yacht Rock. Until then, I'm perfectly fine streaming it through Prime Music
txag2k
AG
what should I expect to pay for just a digital subscription? No devices, just using iPhone/compy for streaming.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Sometimes it seems like stations are rotating the same 100 songs on a loop.

I don't bother with XM/whatever. They had 2 classical stations then turned one into opera. I love classical but hate opera. Their '80s station plays songs -- a lot of songs -- that I've never heard of. I have several hundred '80s CDs, including a lot of compilations. If I haven't heard of it, it shouldn't be played very often. Not snobbery, just fact (notice I didn't say shouldn't play what I don't like).

Either way, I'm out.
aggieforester05
AG

Is this you?
bco2003
AG
I just renewed at 5 months for $20.

I use Google Play Music often with Bluetooth streaming audio, but it is sometimes a pain to have the phone setup and running while driving.

Worth it for me for $20.
Old Town Ag
AG
Advise. When you set up an account with XM have them bill you or pay for the entire time in advance. Do not give them a credit card to start charging once your contract expires.
bco2003
AG
On my latest renewal, I had Bank of America issue a one time credit card number, so that it cannot be auto-renewed by Sirius.
kyledr04
AG
Yeah I made the mistake of giving them my credit card. Forgot to call before it renewed and they billed me almost $500 for 3 radios.

Called to cancel and ended getting another deal to stay. Always threaten to cancel and don't accept the first offer.
BQ92
AG
Do you remember what you paid for the three radios ?
kyledr04
AG
I think $89 each for 1 year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.