SiriusXM are you kidding me $$$

13,024 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
BQ92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Paying bills and realized my XM subscription is up to $48 /mo

Two cars on the plan but want on third car. I used to pay $20 for both.

Has anyone had any luck with negotiating them down?
agmatt06
AG
Yes. Just call and cancel. they will give you whatever rate you were previously getting.
Token
AG
I pay $5.50 a month for my sirius XM with every channel (I told them I was going to cancel). You're getting hosed
ExPLK
AG
Yep. I refused to pay anything more than $5/month so they gave it to me.
Diggity
AG
I'm not sure how they justify those published rates. Totally out on line with other streaming products.
agmatt06
AG
It's a gotcha game.

I forgot to call and "cancel" my sub prior to the expiration. So I called and said i was cancelling because I didn't want to pay the higher right.

Within 5 minutes I was back down to the old rate. They refunded me the prepayment for future months, but not for the current month I was in.

They get a few more people to do that and they are hugely profitable while still giving everyone a competitive rate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm still in the promotional rate of $30 for 6 months or whatever it was. Was planning on cancelling afterwards but good to hear I might be able to keep that rate.

Wonder if I could get them to throw the NBA channel back in?
IJones23
quote:
Yes. Just call and cancel. they will give you whatever rate you were previously getting.

This.
I have it in my Jeep and called to cancel and they gave me 6 free months and got it down to $15.50.
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
How many subscribers is XM going to lose if Howard Stern leaves satellite radio at the end of the year?
Agmechanic
AG
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
How many subscribers is XM going to lose if Howard Stern leaves satellite radio at the end of the year?
LOTS. I love Howard and a lot of the news/sports options, but for music the quality is just terrible. I think my audio coming from Spotify is much better. I can live with podcasts and that rather than keep paying for a Sirius with no Howard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly, a ton of the stations really are crap. Sometimes it seems like stations are rotating the same 100 songs on a loop.

Does 90s on 9 know there are artists besides Alanis Morissette?
easttexasaggie04
AG
Baba Booey!!!
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Baba Booey!!!
Baba Booey it is.
Diggity
AG
I agree...they compress the ever loving crap out of so many of the music stations it's hard to listen to.
AggieJ29
AG
quote:
Paying bills and realized my XM subscription is up to $48 /mo

Two cars on the plan but want on third car. I used to pay $20 for both.

Has anyone had any luck with negotiating them down?

Dude. Wow.....you are paying like $47 a month more than you should be. Those people will pretty much let you name your price.
Guitarsoup
AG
We had it in two of our cars. When we cancelled, you got a discount for extra lines of XM, but not extra radios of either/or. One car was Sirius, one was XM. It's the same ****ing company.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Ta Ta Toothie!!
SeaAg98
AG
You know, this thread really got me thinking. What does SiriusXM really offer that other streaming services (Spotify, Tunein Radio, etc.) don't?

I have been pulling the plug on DirecTV in my 2nd house and going to a 100% streaming TV (Roku). The only disadvantage is live sports, I think. However, with Plex and Slingbox at my main house, this isn't an issue.

True, SiriusXM offers Howard Stern, but I haven't listened to him in ages. It is an interesting question.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nothing at all that I care about.
khkman22
AG
quote:
You know, this thread really got me thinking. What does SiriusXM really offer that other streaming services (Spotify, Tunein Radio, etc.) don't?
Sports broadcasts for out of market teams or when you're on the road and can't get a station that carries the game you want. Some sports talk radio, although the national shows are generally less appealing than a local show if you can get it at the time.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
Sports broadcasts for out of market teams or when you're on the road and can't get a station that carries the game you want. Some sports talk radio, although the national shows are generally less appealing than a local show if you can get it at the time.
You can stream ESPN radio with whatever local station you want. Obviously it doesn't cover all sports, but it does cover a good bit of sports.
SeaAg98
AG
And there's TuneIn radio for all your local talk show needs. But, they don't stream live sports if under media blackout. Its the same issue with TV.
Diggity
AG
The only benefit I can think of with Sirius is that you don't eat up your data plan while driving, but that's not such a big deal these days.
BQ92
AG
I have it because some counties have zero cell coverage (Talking about you Milam County) and the sports talk & games.
mhayden
It's similar to the "dropping cable" scenario... Yes, you can get what you want a la carte if you look in the right places, have the right apps installed, switch back and forth between them, make sure all your configs work properly and aren't buggy, "oh damn I'm blacked out for the game I wanted to watch", "oh the feed went out?", etc...

Or you can pay for cable and have a one-stop-spot for 100+ channels, including stuff you didn't even know you were interested in.

When you're paying $90/month for cable, the former is worth the added hassle for a lot of people (me included, I haven't had cable in 5+ years).

But when the service is $8/month? No worrying about cell service, no having to pause when on the phone, no having to switch apps, sports broadcasts, interface that tells you when your favorite song/artist is playing, dedicated stations that play live and historical concerts/events?

Yeah, at $8 a month that's a no-brainer for me.
TX AG 88
AG
quote:

i'm lost. where did $8/month come from, and is it in regards to cable/TV or radio/streaming music?
Diggity
AG
I just don't end up liking the variety of the stations as much as I used to. Pandora and Spotify are my go-to's now. Once they activate android auto in my car, I think I'll get rid of it.

The low sound quality really bothers me. I guess lithium isn't a popular station because it sounds awful.
mhayden
quote:
quote:

i'm lost. where did $8/month come from, and is it in regards to cable/TV or radio/streaming music?

Sirius/XM -- it's about $5-10 per month as long as you negotiate.
mhayden
quote:
I just don't end up liking the variety of the stations as much as I used to. Pandora and Spotify are my go-to's now. Once they activate android auto in my car, I think I'll get rid of it.

The low sound quality really bothers me. I guess lithium isn't a popular station because it sounds awful.

Maybe others have had different experiences, but Spotify+ repeats songs far more often than my Sirius does.

Sound quality I've always been more about quantity over quality. My MP3's are still compressed at whatever bitrate supposedly isn't all that great... At home I may care about a crisp, high bitrate sound, but in the car there's about half a dozen external noises (windows/sunroof down, talking in the car, typical highway noise) that it doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Plus Springsteen Radio.
bmc13
AG
quote:
Honestly, a ton of the stations really are crap. Sometimes it seems like stations are rotating the same 100 songs on a loop.

Does 90s on 9 know there are artists besides Alanis Morissette?

I found the music channels under XM to be so much better than what they became under siriusXM. there used to be more variety across the board, at least on the channels I listened to. now I only listen to a couple of channels plus occasional sports and news.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just called them and got to keep my promotional rate for another six months, plus got All Access thrown in for no charge. Guy said I can call in six months and get the same deal.
Aggie_3
which department do I call and ask for I have the all access package and im paying 25 a month for it with taxes and fees and my dad has the same package and is paying half of what im paying! I tried to talk with someone in the billing chat and they basically said sorry there is nothing we can offer you currently.
agfan2013
AG
Call and tell them you want to cancel, that will get you to the negotiations pretty quick. My buddy just called yesterday because they were wanting $100 for 6 months. Say no to their frist couple of offers and then depending on your skills get a good deal. He ended up at $25 or $30 for 6 months I think.
Aggie_3
ok cool cuz the guy telling me they couldn't do anything really pissed me off especially reading this thread and knowing what my dad pays for the exact same set up I have.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.