Best "drone" for under $200?

47,192 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by El Hombre Mas Guapo
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excuse me for being such a noob. What are the differences between the CX20 and the Nighthawk you posted above? I'm guessing one is for racing and the other is for photography? Just not sure which way to go on my upgrade.
boy09
AG
quote:
Excuse me for being such a noob. What are the differences between the CX20 and the Nighthawk you posted above? I'm guessing one is for racing and the other is for photography? Just not sure which way to go on my upgrade.
Correct. The Nighthawk is a 250 (mm) size quad primarily used for FPV racing. The CX20 is a little larger, ~365mm, with GPS, compass, and altitude hold capabilities. Also has waypoint programming capabilities and return-to-home functions. It's also set up to carry a gimbal/gopro setup. A rig like this is geared toward aerial photography/videography. Just depends on what you're looking to do with your quad.
atmhockey
AG
This is what a 250 quad flying FPV can do! (with a really good pilot)

boy09
AG
Charpu is a badass. Must really ease your mind to try crazy maneuvers and lines when you're sponsored by GetFPV and get all the free Lumineer stuff you want.
easttexasaggie04
AG
CX20 or Phantom 1? Which would you go with?
Comeby!
AG
Sup yo!
easttexasaggie04
AG
So I pulled the trigger on a DJI Phantom 1 today. With the Phantom 3 coming out I snagged a 1 for $400 from uav.com (they are out of Austin). They tried to talk me into getting a Phantom 2 or waiting for the 3, but it's hard for me to spend $1000 on a quad. I realize it's a little older technology but its a HUGE improvement over what I had. I flew my friends Phantom 2 and I was blown away by how well it flew. It seems learning on a toy made it easier for me to fly an actual good one. I was maybe even a better pilot than he was. I let him fly my X5C and we lost it in the woods within 2 minutes. That $60 he gave me went towards the purchase of my Phantom 1.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
I let him fly my X5C and we lost it in the woods within 2 minutes. That $60 he gave me went towards the purchase of my Phantom 1.
Hustler
JAW3336
AG
I agree, my iris+ is way easier to fly than my x5c.

I don't know if that is because I practiced a few times on the x5c. really only did 2 or 3 flights with it.
atmhockey
AG
The X5c is an all manual flight controls with only a gyro for stabilization. while the DJI and 3DR products have tons of pilot assist functionality. Comparing the two would be like comparing a B-787 to a Piper cub!

Enjoy your new multirotors. They are a ton of fun. Just remember that you still need to be able to fly line of sight and/or manually in case the craft goes nuts and you have to manually get it back home or away from trouble.

Keep an eye out on K-Index before taking flight. Anything 5 or above (here in Texas) and you might have issues with getting and keeping strong GPS lock. There is also a K-index app for android and iphone that will tell you what it is for that day.
Caliber
AG
DJI and IRIS+ are definitely way easier than something like an X5C because they have far more advanced flight controllers.

If memory serves, on the phantom, you can't even get out of an altitude hold mode, so you never even really have full throttle control. Most flying is done in a GPS hold mode so that if you were to let go of the sticks, it would stay exactly where it is.
Iris+ gives you a few more modes like stabilize where you have actual throttle control but it will pitch and roll are still stablized and you can get full manual modes if you want.

Like atmhockey was getting at, the problem with those easy modes, is that people pick them up without learning to fly without GPS. When something goes wrong, they have no clue how to save it and end up with a 'flyaway' that really should have been recoverable.

GPS modes are excellent for camera work, but don't really teach you much about actually flying a quad.

That said, if you learn to fly a more advanced quad in stablize or acro modes (KK, CC3D, APM/Pixhawk), coming back to an X5C is actually really easy.
boy09
AG
quote:
When something goes wrong, they have no clue how to save it and end up with a 'flyaway' that really should have been recoverable.

I believe some Phantom 1's did actually have problems with their GPS spazzing out and flying away through no fault of the operator...
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yea I think learning on the X5C on windy days was good for me. I was constantly fighting to keep it stable or semi-stable. As soon as I picked up my friends Phantom 2 I couldn't believe how easy it seemed. However crashed on the X5C had zero consequence because I could pick it up and start flying again without worry, not going to be the case now.
Caliber
AG
quote:
quote:
When something goes wrong, they have no clue how to save it and end up with a 'flyaway' that really should have been recoverable.

I believe some Phantom 1's did actually have problems with their GPS spazzing out and flying away through no fault of the operator...
There definitely are legitimate fly aways possible. However, there are quite a few that really could be saved.

If the GPS goes haywire, flipping to ATTI mode should take it out of the equation. Many think they'll always be able to flip a return to home switch and have it come back 100% of the time.

atmhockey
AG
That is the problem with the more advanced quads and novice pilots. If GPS goes wonky then RTH is also wonky because it relies on GPS to know the home position. That is why I set my failsafe on my IRIS+ to LAND instead of RTH. That way it only used the baro for automation. Just don't fly over a lake!

I am an OK pilot but holy hell let me tell you flying in ACRO/RATE mode on a NAZE or CC3D board is a whole new ballgame! I could build a throne of broken props! Add in FPV to that equation...

I am just now getting to a point where I THINK I can mount a mobius cam to my quad and get a few minutes of flying that doesn't include smacking into a goal post, the ground...or yes...a chain link fence! Flying a GoPro to 50-100 feet and hovering for 15 minutes is one thing. Zooming 5-10 feet off the ground in FPV is another.
RCR06
AG
After reading this thread a week or so ago I bought the syma x5c-1.

It arrived this past Friday. Friday evening I tried to fly it indoor, but it was very difficult. Saturday I took it outside and it was much easier. Inside I was worried about running into things. After gaining some experience I began using the camera. It grew windier and I was still able to control it but it got about 100 feet up in the process. I'm trying to get it closer to me and am thinking about defending when the lights start flashing. Oh carp low battery . It drives straight down into a tree.it's stuck approximately 60 feet up in a tree. Even with high wind and rain last night, it hasn't come down.

Trying to decide if I want a replacement or upgrade to a better one. $60. Was an easy decision. $200 + is a little more difficult especially after losing one.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Do it. I replaced my x5c with a Phantom 1. It's pretty awesome.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Finally got some footage using my new DJI Phantom. I really need a gimbal, but still had fun filming...

Sunset on Sherman

Neighborhood Tour
atmhockey
AG
Here is my latest FPV racer build. Flys well but need to get the wobbles and shakes tuned out. This "sub $200" thread is not for me!

boy09
AG
That's awesome, nice and clean. Nucleus PDB? I almost ordered one when they came in stock a couple of weeks ago, but held off because I already have an Overcraft PDB on order from the last batch back in March. No telling when that thing will be here though, hopefully in the next week or two...
atmhockey
AG
Yeah it is a Nucleus board. It replaced a Simple PDB that I had on there. That one was nice but no where in the league of the Nucleus or Overcraft board.

I wanted a combination or clean build but functional so I could troubleshoot quickly if (when) something goes wonky. Tucking the motor wires underneath was a great mod and leaves so much room. I might go back and wrap the wires with braided cord or paracord.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So the Phantom 3 comes out next month. They've improved the battery, range, and the firmware it seems. I think this will most likely be my next quad (not anytime soon). So far I'm loving my Phantom 1, but battery life of 10-13 minutes isn't great. But it sure does fly really well.

DJI Phantom 3
bco2003
AG
Not knocking you or the Phantom 3, but the delivery of the folks in that video reminds me of Google's April Fools Day joke videos, where they release "new" (fake) products with silly, over-dramatic delivery.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
So the Phantom 3 comes out next month. They've improved the battery, range, and the firmware it seems. I think this will most likely be my next quad (not anytime soon). So far I'm loving my Phantom 1, but battery life of 10-13 minutes isn't great. But it sure does fly really well.

DJI Phantom 3

Wood.
easttexasaggie04
AG
You can get a DJI Phantom on amazon.com currently for $349. Huge improvement over the X5C. Keep in mind if you want to film you'll have to buy a GoPro ($199 for base model).

DJI Phantom one on Amazon
coppag92
AG
I want the beer drone

atmhockey
AG
With all this rain I have been build a ton more than flying. Here are my new custom ZMR250s

agfan2013
AG
These have peaked my interest of late, I'm really, really tempted to jump in headfirst and get the new phantom after I save up some money. Would be awesome to fly around the farm and use it to check on cows and such.
TexAgg10
AG
Just started getting my parts list together for a Blackout Super Mini H build (can use 6" props).

Atmhockey, which FPV gear do you use? Goggles?
atmhockey
AG
Vtx:
FT952 - 200mw
UBAD 200mw

Flight Camera:
PZ0420
PZ0420m

Goggles:
Skyzone
And soon
Headplay HD
boy09
AG
Have any Headplay sets started shipping yet? I'm curious to see some reviews start rolling in.
Comeby!
AG
If any of yall are in the Dallas area and will be flying let me know. Would like to check out your gear with my 12 yr old.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've made some new videos with my Phantom lately. Watch if you get bored...

Lake Windermere

Phantom Playday (flying with other friends who have Phantoms)

Sunset on my street
boy09
AG
quote:
I've made some new videos with my Phantom lately. Watch if you get bored...

Lake Windermere

Phantom Playday (flying with other friends who have Phantoms)

Sunset on my street
You should get a gimbal.
easttexasaggie04
AG
quote:
You should get a gimbal.
Yea I want one. But a gimbal drains the battery life of a Phantom 1too much to make it feasible. I wish now I had waited and bought a P2 instead. One day I'll upgrade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.