Best "drone" for under $200?

47,009 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by El Hombre Mas Guapo
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any advice appreciated. For 14 year-old tech-savy boy. Or am I asking for trouble?
Comeby!
AG
I'm looking at the WL Toys V262 for my 12 yr old son. It's got great capabilities and range especially for a $60 price point. You can also add a camera did under $100.
boy09
AG
There is not much available at the $200 price point. You can go the micro/mini quadcopter route, like Comeby suggested, that are all pretty much <$100. Or if you jump up to something full size, it's going to be tough to spend less than $300.

If he doesn't have any prior experience, I would suggest anything other than a micro/mini quad. You can beat them up and they're pretty tough to break. Great for learning to fly before you move up to something more expensive... The one Comeby suggested would be a great starting point.
Comeby!
AG
There V262 isn't a micro. Look it up on YouTube.
boy09
AG
Yeah, I see that now. It looks exactly like their micro models, I guess it's just a blown up version. Looks like it may even be slightly larger than a mini quad (30cm motor-to-motor). I still agree with you and think that's a good choice for a beginner.
TexAgs91
AG
Blade 180 qx

Lots of fun and a good way to get into quadcopters for a beginner. It's about $160
atmhockey
AG
I just bought a Syma X1. It should be here on Friday. DIdn't have a thought about quadcopters, "drones", until I had to visit a local R/C hobby shop during Thanksgiving for some set screws for one of my rifles.

I spent two hours in that tiny store looking at everything and will give them my money when/if I fall in love with quad flying. I would really like to get one of those FPV high end quads with GPS but at least this little cheap Syma X1 will get my intro'd.
The Collective
AG
I bought a Syma X11 on Amazon as an introduction into this potential hobby. Should be fun to play around with, though I noticed the stock battery only gets about 7 minutes of flight time. May have to upgrade that.
Comeby!
AG
I watched some video's on the Syma. Let me know how it handles. It looks good.
Comeby!
AG
Just thought of this.... we need to have 'drone' wars.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Is your drone mission ready?
atmhockey
AG
Damn slow day at the office.

I now have a Syma X11 (thanks CJS4715) and a Syma X5C-1 in my shopping cart!
aTm2004
AG
Watch the South Park "The Magic Bush" episode.
boy09
AG
quote:
Look up FPV mini quadcopter racing.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
quote:

Is your drone mission ready?

Bring it big boy....

atmhockey
AG
Where is the best place stateside to get parts and extra batteries?
boy09
AG
quote:
What kind of parts specifically? For building your own, or replacement parts for something like the Syma's you mentioned earlier?
atmhockey
AG
quote:
quote:
What kind of parts specifically? For building your own, or replacement parts for something like the Syma's you mentioned earlier?
Yes.

This looks like a hobby I am going to get addicted to and if it anything like my shooting hobby, it will start with a cheap one and then expand into more high-end quads. Those videos of FPV races look awesome. It would be cool to build one.

As for most of the toy grade stuff I am starting out with, it looks like most items and parts distributors are in Hong Kong or Taiwan. I am certain i will need new blades, extra batteries, etc as I learn to fly. Would rather have a US based company than wait 2-3 weeks for shipments from China.
boy09
AG
Ready to Fly Quads is awesome if you want to start getting into building your own. It's a one-man show so it usually takes him about a week to get orders out, but his stuff is awesome.

When I first got into it, I was ordering everything from Hobbyking. Super cheap, but like you said, it sucks waiting 3 weeks for your stuff to arrive on the slow boat from Hong Kong. They do have a US warehouse, but their selection is severely lacking compared to the international warehouse. And on top of it all, their customer service is almost non-existent. Haven't ordered much from them lately, but they do have pretty much everything if you really need something.

DIY Quadcopters
Ready Made RC
GetFPV

Pretty much everything I know i've learned here or here.

I've never really messed with any toy-grade stuff, I just jumped right in and started building full-size quads, which I would absolutely not suggest. It became clear very quickly how far in over my head I was.
atmhockey
AG
thanks for all the info.

At $30-40, these Syma toy grades are almost disposable but it is still nice to know that you can get spare parts and repair and keep flying. In the span of a week, I now have a X5c-1, S1 and S11 shipping to the house. I know that once my twins see me flying they will want to try it out as well. The S11 looks like a perfect indoor flyer.

atmhockey
AG

Well my two toy grade quads have shown up. X1 on left X11 on right. "C" size battery for size check.

They are a blast to fly but do not like wind.... Or trees. Been up in my tree twice already! The X11 got out of radio distance and just shot full throttle and forward. Found it two streets over! But both fly awesome inside. Just some flying for now. Going to try using combined rudder and aileron flying once I get a better feel for it.
Comeby!
AG
How long to ship and from where?
atmhockey
AG
Amazon prime 2 day for the quads. Extra batteries and blades were eBay and on a slow boat from China.
rynning
AG
Wow! Thought this thread died and I was about to make a decision. Now I got to do some more looking. Do all of these have camera as an option? Do different camera brands work on any of these?
atmhockey
AG
With the ones I mentioned, the Syma toy grade, only the X5C has a camera. And it is a cheap one. I'll print to the Phantom guys about good quads and cameras.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
With the ones I mentioned, the Syma toy grade, only the X5C has a camera. And it is a cheap one. I'll print to the Phantom guys about good quads and cameras.

Phantoms can be good, but you have to know a lot about what you're doing. My office has a busted Vision+ and I am learning that it is smoke and mirrors because of the lack of gimbal durability and service.
atmhockey
AG
Anyone looke dat one of the "knockoff" Phantoms out there that use open source software for APM (excuse my newness if I am saying it wrong)

Cheerson CX 20 (ver. 2) or Quanum Nova?
boy09
AG
quote:
Anyone looke dat one of the "knockoff" Phantoms out there that use open source software for APM (excuse my newness if I am saying it wrong)

Cheerson CX 20 (ver. 2) or Quanum Nova?
Pretty much any model you want to know about, you can find a thread on RCGroups.

Cheerson CX-20
Cheerson CX-20
Hobbyking Quanum Nova

I believe these 2 are the exact same product, just with different branding.
rynning
AG
I'm finding it hard to compare drones with each other, but I think I know my priorities, in this order:

1. Fun / flyability
2. Range
3. Time on one charge
4. Camera quality
5. Stability outdoors
6. Mods / maintainability

Too bad they're all important.

Are there other dimensions?
atmhockey
AG
With just a few days under my belt for flying quads this is one of the hobbies that I can see is going to get addicting! So much fun learning. And with very little R/C experience before this I can tell you that playing twin stick video games (FPS and flight games) has helped a ton in translating to the real 3D world of quadcopter flying.

I received my Syma X5C-1 today and ran a couple of batteries through it. It is a ton of fun and you can do it in the front yard, inside or even a small park. The LED (green and orange) make it fun and easy to fly at night when the winds are usually weaker.

Syma X11 (micro quad) $30

1. Fun / flyability - A blast inside and out. It has a flip button so you can do tricks and it fits in the palm of your hand. $30 for a blast.
2. Range - May 30-40 yards
3. Time on one charge - 7-9 minutes (but multiple batteries)
4. Camera quality - N/A
5. Stability outdoors - in High mode it can eat through a 5 mph wind but anything more than that you will want to take it inside and scare the dog!
6. Mods / maintainability - comes pretty tricked out as is Red and blue LED's for night flying

Syma X1 $30
1. Fun / flyability - It's fun but now that i have the X11, X5C-1 and a CX 20 on the way this will be going to the kids.
2. Range - 50-60 yards
3. Time on one charge - 9-10 minutes. This thing has a spaceship shell that weighs next to nothing But only one red LED is solid when charge and blinking when low voltage.
4. Camera quality - N/A
5. Stability outdoors - On high mode it will eat through a 5mph wind but not much else
6. Mods / maintainability - I am sure there are some. But it is a toy

Syma X5C-1 $50-60
1. Fun / flyability - A BLAST! Orange and green LEDs allow for day and night flying. VERY stable. Will hold a hover in no wind.
2. Range -maybe 75 yards
3. Time on one charge - 8-9 minutes
4. Camera quality - Cheap (HD) camera. They say 720p but this is the ****s for a camera. It works great though. Push up for stills, and down for video. Saves to SD card.
5. Stability outdoors - very stable. Bet of the bunch. Will fly in some wind. But you can do this one indoors as well as outdoors
6. Mods / maintainability - Plenty. From everything I read this is the toy version of a quadcopter that hobbiest like the most. Look similar to the larger quads (DJI, Cherrson, Nova)

Cherrson CX20 (do not have yet. On a UPS truck somewhere between NY and Dallas) This will be where fun meets hobby for me. I plan to run it through its paces and get good on the CX20 and see if it will get the job done or if I need to invest the big $ on a Phantom or something home built.
1. Fun / flyability
2. Range
3. Time on one charge
4. Camera quality
5. Stability outdoors
6. Mods / maintainability
rynning
AG
Found this site. http://www.bestquadcoptersreviews.com

Limited number of models reviewed, but they seem pretty thorough and include videos.

I'm looking at the UDI U818A. Not great user reviews on that site but lots of good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.bestquadcoptersreviews.com/udi-u818a-review-6-axis-rc-quadcopter/
Comeby!
AG
Excellent reviews, hockey.
atmhockey
AG
Update:
Cherrson CX20.This will be where fun meets hobby for me. I plan to run it through its paces and get good on the CX20 and see if it will get the job done or if I need to invest the big $ on a Phantom or something home built.
1. Fun / flyability - really fun. Easy. But have only had one 5 minute flight because the cheapo charger that c Ame with the kit is junk. Won't charge the lipo battery. Have a more robust charger on the way. Along with some 2700 3s batteries.
2. Range - further than I would be comfortable with.
3. Time on one charge - 8-10 minutes full battery with gimbal and camera. 12-15 with without
4. Camera quality - top notch if you add your own HD cam
5. Stability outdoors - really nice. Will fights low speed winds. I was able to hold a good hover in 5mph with gusts to 7-9
6. Mods / maintainability - there is a 12,000 post thread about what people at doing. Adding telemetry, FPV flying, using the under belly servo slots for cool things .

The Cheers on CX20 and Quantum Nova (same quad) are pretty damn amazing. I got the one with the open source flight controller so I can use mission planner software and hope to load missions (waypoints) soon where the quad will take off, fly to waypoints, return and land autonomously.

The flight modes are great. You have stability mode whoch is manual flight. The gyros are strong and keep the quad stable for good videos. Loiter/GPS lock locks the quad right in place the damn thing just hovers right where it is. Altitude lock keeps the quad at a specific altitude but you can still fly it. Perfect for videos too. There are several other modes both stock and upgradeable from the mission planner software. But return to home/return to land has to be the coolest. When you power up the quad it gets a GPS lock on that position and that is home. If younflup the switch, fly out of Tx range or power off the Tx, the quad will recognize it stop what the last input hover and rise to 15 meters and the fly back to the original GPS lock and land itself.

I don't have a gopro and it seems that most gimbals are built for that camera. I have a replay XD camera and am researching wqqway to mod a gimba to fit that.

For around $300 you get 95% of what other quads (dji) do. Build quality is OK to good but not great. Landing gear is crap and I am sure I will crack them sooner or later. Going to keep some tape and super glue on hand.

I look forward to getting out and doing some filming
atmhockey
AG
Here it is with noob training wheels I made from carbon fiber rods and ping pong balls.

bearamedic99
AG
Hockey, thanks for the reviews. You may have convinced me to try this. Also, are you a former EMT with initials JH?

For the group, how easy are these to fly? I've tried a few toy grade rc helicopters that rarely got off the ground and just spun around on the floor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.