Best "drone" for under $200?

47,189 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by El Hombre Mas Guapo
BlackGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll have to look up the name of mine but I bought it for $350. Bad thing is it only has 10 min of flight time. I bought a larger battery to add another 5-10 min but I am worried how it will weigh it down with my gopro
bearamedic99
AG
quote:
On the X5C transmitter, are you tapping the top left button to get two beeps? When you initialize the X5C by powering up, it defaults to "slow" mode. Tape the top left button and it will beep twice and go to "fast" mode.

This allows the quad to get increased flight angles and quicker response. It should help with the wind and also make for a much more fun flight.

Then start taping the top right button for flips and rolls!

Also, when you turn on the X5C make sure it is on a flat surface so the gyros can calibrate correctly before flight. So. E people flip the power switch when they are holding it and it really messes with the stabilization.

Just curious, are you saying tapping (lightly pressing) or taping (securing down with adhesive film)?

Also, are all of you new owners satisfied with 7 to 9 minutes of flight time at a time? I'm considering the Syma x11 or x5c-1.
BlackGold
AG
Flight time is the only bummer about my quad.
atmhockey
AG
Want more flight time - buy more batteries! It is a downside to LiPo power. The batteries give you great voltage discharge rates to get the power needed, but don't last all that long. Especially on these micro and mini quads that don't have a ton of lifting power so they can't carry weight.

Tapping (or pressing) the button on the X5C transmitter is the left chrome shoulder button. It should bee once when pressed, and twice when pressed again. One beep puts you in a slower mode. Two beeps puts you in a more speedy mode. Basically it is allowing the quad to get more flight angle which allows for more speed and agility.
boy09
AG
quote:
Boy09

If you feel lie practicing some 3d printing! I would pay for one if these.

FPV monitor mount for Turnnigy 9x
Just want to let you know, hockey, I am working on getting one of these printed. I was waiting on a new spool of black ABS, but it's a different brand than what i was using and it's giving me some extrusion problems. If all else fails, i'm having zero issues with my blue ABS. I just thought black would look a little better with a black monitor and dark grey transmitter.
atmhockey
AG
quote:
quote:
Boy09

Just want to let you know, hockey, I am working on getting one of these printed. I was waiting on a new spool of black ABS, but it's a different brand than what i was using and it's giving me some extrusion problems. If all else fails, i'm having zero issues with my blue ABS. I just thought black would look a little better with a black monitor and dark grey transmitter.
awesome! That design looked so much cleaner and easier than the other ways to hold a monitor to your Tx. The ones that clamp down to your Tx carry handle are ok, but need lock washers and loctite to stay put. I was looking for a sturdy but removable option and that design looked the best.
boy09
AG
I've got one of these and it is a bit awkward.

I was able to print a brushless gimbal mount for that frame, it turned out pretty good. I'll post some pics when I get a chance
atmhockey
AG
That is the monitor mount I have as well. It works but is hell on portability. I have a foam case for my IRIS and want something that is quick detach for storage travelm
Comeby!
AG
Offered without comment.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30931367

"Drone carrying drugs crashes near US-Mexico border"
boy09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Boy09

awesome! That design looked so much cleaner and easier than the other ways to hold a monitor to your Tx. The ones that clamp down to your Tx carry handle are ok, but need lock washers and loctite to stay put. I was looking for a sturdy but removable option and that design looked the best.
Finally got one of these printed. Fits nicely on my 9x. Shoot me an email if you want it, email is in my profile.
bearamedic99
AG
How hard is the learning curve on the Syma X5-1C? Would you recommend software to practice flight simulation?
Coppell97
AG
No - just buy and fly. Seriously. I had never flown one before. It's ready to roll out of the box. Just be careful not to take it too high first flight; try to get used to the mechanics a bit, then let it all out.
Comeby!
AG
Agreed. Just get one for $60 plus some extra batteries and have at it.
atmhockey
AG
Flying isn't really the hard part to pick up with quads. So much auto leveling, auto braking and auto trim going on by the flight controller. The tough part is orientation in the air. Especially x shaped ones that don't have a physical nose and tail.

Start by practicing hovers. The practice forward flight by walking along behind your quad. Then start flying a box shaped path. Remember that input on the sticks with will change whether you are nose or tail to you. Many squad has ended in a tree or roof by a pilot that put in wrong control input thinking that it would get them away from a tree instead it pushed them right into it.

There are some quads that have "headless" mode. That makes it real easy to fly. Headless means that the direction that the quad is facing in the air has no relevance to input on the transmitter. Forward on the stick will always make the quad go away from you. Back on the stick and it comes back towards you. All this done regardless of yaw input or directional heading. Good flight mode to learn in but a big crutch.
Comeby!
AG
Yep, no doubt. It's not a first person view so you tend to forget which way you're facing.
Coppell97
AG
Agree with all above on Syma X5C. Another key - only go out to fly if wind is less than 10mph. Wind really affects it. If you are in 15mph+ it will sail on you.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yep. Got a sigma for Christmas. My advice is find some open space and actually practice flying low - not just joy riding but intentional practice. Drill into your brain which lights are front and which are back.

My tendency early in was to try and get height and then you keep jumping higher to avoid hitting things and that is how it ends up 4 streets over.

Keep it low and under control and intentionally practice the controls and it is a blast. Unreal for its price, IMO.
bearamedic99
AG
Drone made to look like Millenium Falcon
Caliber
AG
Been seeing that quad all over and it's ridiculously awesome.
boy09
AG
Here's his original build thread for a more in depth look.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2331840

Looks like he may be in the planning stages of a Tie Fighter next.
Caliber
AG
Now there is a Star Destroy Quad

easttexasaggie04
AG
Wife got me an X5C as an anniversary gift. Now I'm hooked. I flew it for 5 minutes last night in the backyard. Already ordered 4 more batteries so I can fly it longer. If I want to upgrade in a few months...what would you guys recommend?
atmhockey
AG
I've got a nighthawk 250 for sale. It is FPV ready. Texags special $250. You will need your favorite receiver for your radio to bind to the CC3D.

EMAX Nighthawk 250. Cobra 2204-2300kv motors. Rotorgeek 12a ESCs with BLHeli. CC3D flight controller. FT952 video transmitter. PZ4020 600TVL FPV camera. Atasphere PDB with built in LC filter for clean video. Super Simple OSD.

ABATTBQ11
AG
It's not under $200, but DJI just released their Phantom 3. It looks pretty nice and has a lot of improvements of the 2 and Vision+.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Pretty much everything you said is over my head. I JUST got a X5c yesterday. haha I have no idea what i'm doing so far.
JAW3336
AG
Just got an Iris+ and it is awesome.

3DR is also coming out with a new drone on the 13th.
atmhockey
AG
I also have an IRIS+ for sale. Tons of extras. Travel case with custom foam, extra props, extra arms, extra landing gear, Tarot T2-D Gimbal...

$800

email: atmilk @ verizon dot net for more details and pics
JAW3336
AG
Damn, wish you would have posted that 3 days ago.
easttexasaggie04
AG
You didn't like the IRIS? I'm such a noob, that looked like one of the best money could buy.
The Collective
AG
quote:
I bought a Syma X11 on Amazon as an introduction into this potential hobby. Should be fun to play around with, though I noticed the stock battery only gets about 7 minutes of flight time. May have to upgrade that.

I'm sad to report that my X11 met her demise over the weekend. I pushed the limits a little too much with our spring winds. Fortunately, it was cheap!
atmhockey
AG
IRIS+ SOLD

No i really like the Iris+ but once I got into 250 sized FPV craft i got bit by the bug. The Iris+ is just sits there now. Fun to fly and Pixhawk will not let you down. The flight modes are great. Selling to give someone the chance to get into an awesome quad for a great price (seeing what all is included in the package I am selling) and fund a purchase of the Immersion RC Vortex.

Vortex
easttexasaggie04
AG
My first outdoor test flight. Don't watch if you want to see anything but crash after crash.

Syma X5C Test Flight
easttexasaggie04
AG
OK so I've gotten pretty comfortable flying around my X5C now. I flew it a whole bunch over the weekend. Much better pilot than I used to be. There have been quite a few close calls, but I was able to bring it home. In your opinion...what is the next quad up? I'm thinking of getting the Cheerson CX-20. Thoughts? What are the main differences between it and what I already have? I'm a noob.
atmhockey
AG
CX20 runs an APM flight controller. It will have several more features than the X5C. Basically the only thing they have in common is their X layout and color.

The CX20 will be able to do auto missions, return to home, altitude hold, etc... It is a very capable machine with some knowledge of APM.

I had one and upgraded to an IRIS+ from a CX20. It was a great little flyer. It would be a good GPS entry level quad.

if you go the CX20 route, I still have a gopro gimbal for the CX20 I can sell you.
[ /FLUSH ]
boy09
AG
Used DJI Phantom 1's and 2's are starting to pop up pretty cheap also with the announcement of the Phantom 3. I saw a used Phantom 1 listed for $199 earlier today (it didn't last long). Just an idea if you're not looking to build yourself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.