Android 5.0 Lollipop

9,206 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by flintdragon
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got it on my 2013 Nexus 7 last week, still waiting on my 2012 model and LG G2.
AgMarauder04
AG
After the update, I've got the swirly colored dots thing going on...and it wont stop.
AggieT
AG
Nothing on Nexus 5 or 7.
ABKitch
AG
Welcome aboard! (some of you)

Really happy with the update, and having the same OS on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 9 tablet is great.

Once you guys get it, be sure and go into your Phone Settings and tap a few times on "Android Version"...it's a flappin' good time.
aggie_wes
AG
Just upgraded my nexus 10. So far, so good
The Fife
Nada on my Nexus 5 so far. I'm hoping the stock music player is better than what I have right now because since getting the replacement N5 it really sucks at playlists.
Two Down
AG
Got it on my Nexus 5 last night. Definitely don't like them getting getting rid of the native, non-Gmail email app, as I liked to keep my work email separate from personal. And for whatever reason my work email will not flow into a third party email app, so my calendars will not sync.
bigboykin
AG
Got it on my 2012 N7 last night. Didn't play with it much, but other than the aesthetic changes and the cast screen button I didn't notice anything huge immediately. I'll play with it some more this evening though.

Still waiting on my 2013 N7, and hoping first gen Moto X gets it reasonably soon as well.
Icecream_Ag
S
Fully expect to get the update around the time I'm due for a new phone...in 18 months.
AggieT
AG
Just got the notice. Downloading now.

Nexus 5 on Cricket Wireless.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Got it, downloaded it, lollipopping it.

Holy animations. Material Design is awesome.
The Fife
What's this down arrow in the corner??? Why yes I would like to update...
cecil77
AG
Nexus 5 - just got it as well!
flintdragon
AG
Sucks I have to wait for a particular game to fix ART support before I can upgrade on my N5. ugh...
The Fife
I've been on 5.0 since yesterday afternoon. My thoughts so far:

The bug I'm experiencing in the stock MP3 player still exists. I can hit pause then play and it will sometimes jump forward a track or two in the playlist. Very annoying. I need another MP3 player. Suggestions are welcome.
The new unlock screen takes some getting used to since I normally swiped sideways. Now that either takes me to the phone or camera.
I'm not quite sold on browser tabs getting mixed in with open apps. I normally run 2-3 tabs and this results in them sometimes being buried behind other things.
Why have an email icon on the home screen if it just makes you go to gmail? I got rid of it and dropped gmail in its place.
Double tap a notification to access it from the lock screen is cool. My first instinct was to press and hold but it was easy enough to correct.
I like having Weather Underground show the temperature in the top/left corner like it normally does. Its notification at the center of the lock screen is annoying/redundant and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.
Time remaining until the charge is full is a cool feature.
Wish a flashlight was built in because the flashlight widget has always been buggy for me.

Otherwise it works pretty well so far. No comments on battery life yet but I'm hopeful.
ABKitch
AG
There's a flashlight in your quick settings (even accessible with screen locked).
AggieT
AG
quote:
I'm not quite sold on browser tabs getting mixed in with open apps. I normally run 2-3 tabs and this results in them sometimes being buried behind other things.
This bothered me as well. You can turn it back to the old way by going to Settings in Chrome and selecting Merge Tabs and Apps.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
This lockscreen is going to take some time getting used tol. I used to have dashclock widget as my lockscreen on KitKat and I really miss it right now. Also, is there a way to open Google Now directly from the lockscreen without using voice control? You used to be able to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open it in KitKat and now the only way to unlock the screen is to swipe up due to the dialer and camera shortcuts, which are pretty awesome though.
cecil77
AG
13 Sweet Treats Hidden in Android 5.0 Lollipop
RebAg13
wrinkledink
AG
For those with a rooted Nexus 5, this kernel has improved battery life a bunch for me. Lollipop also runs smoother. I'm sure the kernel will keep getting better.

You will have to raise the screen-off CPU frequency if you use spotify or other music streaming service.
That can be done with the Trickster Kernel Settings app from the app store.

The Fife
quote:
There's a flashlight in your quick settings (even accessible with screen locked).

AWESOME!

I may go back to the original browser way of handling tabs... I'd like to give it a few days with the new way instead of immediately dismissing it. No matter how bad something is I'll at least live with it for a week or so. Even Windows 8.
Aggietaco
AG
The rib's N5 was updated yesterday evening when she got home. I'm jealous (gave her my N5 when work ordered me an iphone). However, she's been complaining about a battery drain today. Anyone else noticed anything?
cecil77
AG
How about N4? Any news?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing on my nexus 7 yet.
flintdragon
AG
just for the OTA notification. Going to take all my willpower to not go ahead with the update.
The Fife
Battery use seems to have improved. When I wake up in the morning it's noticeably higher now.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Definitely don't like them getting getting rid of the native, non-Gmail email app, as I liked to keep my work email separate from personal. And for whatever reason my work email will not flow into a third party email app, so my calendars will not sync.
Can anyone comment on this more? I have a Note 3 which will at some point be upgraded. I use Exchange email for three different businesses and it must be separate from my gmail which I use less and less. And I don't even use gmail calendar or contacts for anything and don't have them synced to my phone at all. If they are going to force all of the Exchange and gmail stuff together I'll dump the Android platform and go to a Windows phone. I was probably going to do that next year anyway but i'm a year from an upgrade so was hoping to wait.

TIA
cecil77
AG
Would the ability to have different users in Lollipop take care of that. A business user and a personal user. You could keep everything separate that way.
ABKitch
AG
It doesn't merge your email accounts into one...just makes you use the actual gmail app for all email accounts now. I can pretty easily switch back and forth between personal and work emails but I too preferred the separate app for work use.

Just got an Android update this morning on my Nexus 9... 37 MB or so, sonit must be some minor tweaks and bug fixes. Running build LRX21R now.
John Beckwith
AG
Just remove the exchange account from gmail and use a 3rd party app.
ABKitch
AG
any 3rd party email apps you recommend?

SECivil Ag-11
AG
WeMail is a new app that came out and it's getting good reception. Don't know much about it, but I'd say it's worth a look.
John Beckwith
AG
quote:
any 3rd party email apps you recommend?
I've heard good things on this one if you're willing to pay for it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&hl=en

I'm sure there a plenty of good free options as well.
ABKitch
AG
Nine is pretty solid...very similar to the OLD "Email" app, but I just don't use my phone for work email enough to justify 10 bucks. Thanks for the recommendation though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.