Android 5.0 Lollipop

9,185 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by flintdragon
wrinkledink
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't wait!

https://android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/
John Beckwith
AG
Nexus size and price
rbcs_2
AG
The nexus line just lost a lot of appeal to me.
wrinkledink
AG
quote:
The nexus line just lost a lot of appeal to me.
Yep. That's why I'm keeping the Nexus 5. Lollipop should run beautifully.
RedbeardAG
AG
Once my Nexus 5 gets beat up and starts slowing, I'll just drop it in the toilet and take advantage of the one time free replacement.

Won't be going for the Nexus 6 with that price point. Seems like Google just forgot the reasons that people loved the phone.
FTA011
AG
.25" wider than the note 4, .25" taller than the note 4

Seriously considering the phone because of new hardware, but that is obnoxiously huge...
jagouar1
AG
That pretty much confirms me getting the nokia 830 whenever it comes to tmobile.... was hoping the nexus 6 would be good but not at that price. Even the nexus 9 is too expensive and really expensive for the lte version (the one I would want).

Seems like in general the "innovation" has slowed significantly in the phone space and people don't need or want to upgrade every 6 months anymore. ipad saw the same thing when the newer models really didn't do anything better than the old versions and sales stopped growing. I think we are getting really close to that point with cell phones and things like this won't help that trend.
hurricanejake02
AG
I really liked the size (and price!) of my Nexus 7 tablet, but it was the 2012 model, and is losing steam every day. I'm not sure the Nexus 9 is going to be my replacement - especially at a 4:3 ratio and $400 price point.
wrinkledink
AG
I snagged a Nexus 7 (2013 model) for $130! Pretty good so far!

In terms of size, the Nexus 5 is a far as I would go.

-----

"Android 5.0 Lollipop, which comes on Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player, will also be available on Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices in the coming weeks."

Source: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Looks like the SDK will be available this Friday.
ABKitch
AG
Where did you guys see pricing info?

I'd love a new tablet, so I may pre-order the Nexus 9...I like that it is closer to the iPad size, as I prefer bigger tablets, and Lollipop looks pretty sweet (sorry).

rbcs_2
AG
quote:
I really liked the size (and price!) of my Nexus 7 tablet, but it was the 2012 model, and is losing steam every day. I'm not sure the Nexus 9 is going to be my replacement - especially at a 4:3 ratio and $400 price point.
Having used every legit tablet out there (through work), it is my opinion that 4:3 is the way to go when you get above the 8'' range. Wide screen tablets that are bigger are awkward to handle. I think the $399 price is pretty good for what you get. It's not the great deal that it used to be, though.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:

I'd love a new tablet, so I may pre-order the Nexus 9...I like that it is closer to the iPad size, as I prefer bigger tablets, and Lollipop looks pretty sweet (sorry).

N6 is $649 off contract.

Guess elGoog finally got tired of subsidizing phones.
FTA011
AG
quote:
quote:

N6 is $649 off contract.

I have seen $419 for 32GB and $519 for 64GB
hurricanejake02
AG
Yeah, that was part of my concern - I like the 16:9 7" tablet.

Frankly, the only reason I got a tablet in the first place was to save battery life on my old phone (and now data on my new one - wifi only means there's no way you're burning 4G data), but I find the 7" size is enough to give me ample viewing area, without being cumbersome.
HossAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

N6 is $649 off contract.

I have seen $419 for 32GB and $519 for 64GB

Google said it was $649
aggieforester05
AG
I want to like it, but with a non changeable battery and no SD card slot, no thanks.
Stasco
AG
I've always been a Nexus line fan, but this one's a dud. The good options right now for off-contract are the Moto X and the Oneplus One. Both should be getting L some time in the next 3 months.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Oy, I want to love the Nexus 6, but I'm just a phablet person. I'll be holding onto my Nexus 5, as it will still run Lollipop without any problems. I have the 2012 Nexus 7 too so I'm ecstatic that it'll get Lollipop. I've been considering replacing it for some time now, but I'm going to see how it runs Lollipop now

And speaking of Lollipop, finally! I just love how everything appears from and disappears to somewhere, as if you're swiping paper on a table. It should be really pleasant to use, can't wait till it hits the entire Nexus line.
ABKitch
AG
any great deals on the previous generation of Nexus 7's?
Barry Kripke
AG
6 inch screen? come the f*** on.
Stasco
AG
quote:

Barry, I'm really sorry to tell you this.......I know this is tough to hear but.........pretty much all of the Android fans here agree with you on this point.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:
quote:

Barry, I'm really sorry to tell you this.......I know this is tough to hear but.........pretty much all of the Android fans here agree with you on this point.
C'mon now, don't take the troll's fun away with just one post.

But man, the Nexus 6 sure does look pretty, but that screen size is a no-go for me.
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:
quote:

How couldn't they? It's ridiculous.
NoHo Hank
AG
Isn't the nexus 6 the same dimensions as the iphone 6+? Bigger screen, smaller bevel?
HossAg
AG
quote:
Isn't the nexus 6 the same dimensions as the iphone 6+? Bigger screen, smaller bevel?

It's slightly larger. But the 6 plus does have ridiculous bezel.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
That pretty much confirms me getting the nokia 830 whenever it comes to tmobile.... was hoping the nexus 6 would be good but not at that price. Even the nexus 9 is too expensive and really expensive for the lte version (the one I would want).

Seems like in general the "innovation" has slowed significantly in the phone space and people don't need or want to upgrade every 6 months anymore. ipad saw the same thing when the newer models really didn't do anything better than the old versions and sales stopped growing. I think we are getting really close to that point with cell phones and things like this won't help that trend.

From what I was reading earlier, there some nice innovation in the Nexus 6, but most of it has to do with lollipop. The different modes and ability to open, resize, and rearrange multiple apps like windows seemed pretty nice.
AgMarauder04
AG
So, what? Few weeks until release?
The Fife
Too huge, too expensive. I'll stick with my Nexus 5 for another year.

With the size thing... the 5 was already about as big as my pockets allow. How are people supposed to carry phablets around? With an early 2000s style holster, man bag or by hand?
MW03
AG
They (Apple and Google) are going to press the whole "phablet in your bag, phone on your wrist" with the size of these devices.
HossAg
AG
Yeah we'll probably be getting smart bags before long
rbcs_2
AG
quote:
They (Apple and Google) are going to press the whole "phablet in your bag, phone on your wrist" with the size of these devices.
Hmm...that's an interesting point. Something I hadn't thought about.
wrinkledink
AG
quote:
So, what? Few weeks until release?

The SDK will be released to developers tomorrow. Looks line final lollipop version is not ready yet.
So I'm guessing another 3-4 weeks.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Not sure. The Apple Watch and Google Glass are supposed to be standalone wearables that serve functions beyond simply being an additional peripheral for your phone.

I think the point behind both is to make them standalone watershed devices that work well with other devices, but also serve a functional purpose separate from those devices. They're meant for you to want to buy them without always needing a phone to go with them.

Take the watch for instance. It does many things on its own, like storing and playing music as well as measuring heart rate. I can see runners liking the Watch by itself because they can play their music through Bluetooth headphones while measuring their speed, heart rate, and run time. When they get done, the Watch connects to their iPhone and interacts with it as they go about their daily business. They're independent while still complimentary.

Google glass is much the same but still different. It allows you to control many of your phone actions and view things from your phone, but it is also a wearable video screen and camera that can be disconnected from the phone and still offer functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if Glass was one day picked up by a carrier and made its own calls.

I think of wearables as entirely new kinds of devices, not just peripherals meant to be used with a phone.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Take the watch for instance. It does many things on its own, like storing and playing music as well as measuring heart rate. I can see runners liking the Watch by itself because they can play their music through Bluetooth headphones while measuring their speed, heart rate, and run time. When they get done, the Watch connects to their iPhone and interacts with it as they go about their daily business. They're independent while still complimentary.

Except the guys in blue shirts in CA left out the GPS.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I hadn't heard that, but I could see them adding it at some point. I'm not in the Apple ecosystem, so I've only vaguely followed to the release and what it's supposed to do. It doesn't take away from the point though. Eventually, these devices will go well beyond peripherals that rely on the phone for everything they do. I wouldn't be surprised if the Watch was given the ability to independently connect to mobile data networks instead of just wifi.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.