Android 5.0 Lollipop

9,212 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by flintdragon
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the apple watch required an iPhone to work?
ABATTBQ11
AG
After some reading, it needs the iPhone connection for full functionality, but it's not required. The watch can still play music and do many other functions without the Bluetooth connection to the iPhone.
ABKitch
AG
pre-orders for the Nexus 9 are live on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Nexus-Tablet-8-9-Inch-Black/dp/B00M6UC5B4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1
cr0wbar
AG
lollipop looks delicious
ABKitch
AG
I pre-ordered a Nexus 9 from Amazon last night (shipping 11/3, arriving 11/4), and just ordered a Nexus Player from the Play Store (shipping 11/14). Looking forward to some new toys, and to check out the new tablet/Lollipop first hand!
TX scallywAG
AG
Any word on when 5.0 will hit third party devices such as Samsung or Motorola phones?
John Beckwith
AG
Months to never depending on what you have
stark_ag
AG
Motorola will probably be faster than other manufacturers, they have been with the last couple of updates. Could be a month or two. Samsung, who knows.
benMath08
AG
HTC has committed to within 90 days of them receiving the final kit from google, at least for the One M8 and M7.
MSCAg
AG
Samsung has not said anything and if history holds, won't.
HossAg
AG
quote:
HTC has committed to within 90 days of them receiving the final kit from google, at least for the One M8 and M7.

I really hope they bring over a lot of the design and functionality of android l. I really like the look of the new os. Of course, sense 6 is really great too. It'll be interesting to see how they merge the two.
OkinTexas
quote:
Can't wait!

https://android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

Me either. I am a former iPhone user and I'm so happy that I switched to Android (htc one) six months ago.
Longstreet
quote:
Any word on when 5.0 will hit third party devices such as Samsung or Motorola phones?
LG said several months ago they would be bringing it to the G2 and the G3. I rooted my G2 about a week after I got it, so it won't hurt my feelings either way, but it would be cool. I might go back to stock for that.
ABKitch
AG
Today's the day...anyone seen the update hit your device yet?

SECivil Ag-11
AG
No update on my Nexus 5 yet.

All Nexus 6 models are already out of stock haha.
AgMarauder04
AG
Nothing for my 10 yet.
Sentinel
AG
Nothing on my S5.
HossAg
AG
quote:
Nothing on my S5.

It doesn't run stock.
Sentinel
AG
Guess I didn't realize Samsung's update was still rumored to be a month or more away.
AgMarauder04
AG
Release pushed back to Nov 12th for Nexus 5,7, and 10.
wrinkledink
AG
Come on google! Two more days i guess

wrinkledink
AG
5.0 factory image for Nexus 5 is out. Finally!
rbcs_2
AG
I busted my Nexus 5 on a trip this past week...why?!?!?!?!
wrinkledink
AG
quote:
I busted my Nexus 5 on a trip this past week...why?!?!?!?!
Get one off ebay. They are selling cheap!
rbcs_2
AG
I got a cheap Moto X instead.
ABKitch
AG
here the link for the lazy...

http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

any tips from those who have flashed these before? I see instructions on the link there, but anything different for people who are rooted, etc.?
ABKitch
AG
had some problems with the flash-all.bat file working (or flashing the zip file for the image), but was able to extract that zip and flash each file individually.

Lollipoppin'!
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Nice. I'm just going to be lazy and wait for the OTA. If I don't get it in a week, I'll flash it. How do you like it so far?
ABKitch
AG
I have had it for a week or so on my new Nexus 9, so I'm used to it by now. It feels a lot more refined and kinda reminds me of iOS to be honest (notifications on the lock screen, pretty bright colors, etc.).

I really like the new format of "Recents" and the modern, simplified look of the soft key buttons, and having the option to turn off notifications during certain time periods is great, as sometimes get emails from friends in Australia in the middle of the night that have a way of waking me up.

The other thing that I'm just now discovering, or maybe it has been improved with this release, is using "OK Google" for searches more and more, and being able to set it to work even when the screen is off/locked (found under the app called "Google Settings"). This is huge for me and I've been finding more and more reasons to use the voice search for everything from directions to web searches, and weather forecasts.

The "Fit" app (from Google) is also a neat addition...it seems to track your location every day to show how active (or inactive) you've been. I want to play around with that one more and see if there are ways to integrate apps such as MapMyRun, etc.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
The Moto X has been able to recognize OK Google with the screen locked, but it had a dedicated core for it as to not kill the battery. Wondering how it'll affect other devices. Google Now is getting really powerful, to the point that it's a little terrifying.

You can snooze notifications in hangouts, but I'm glad you're able to snooze all of them now through the phone as a whole.

AgMarauder04
AG
If I have a nexus 10, is it just random when I'll get it OTA?
John Beckwith
AG
yes
jbryan10
AG
Just got the OTA on my N5 on Straight Talk.
AgMarauder04
AG
Just got the alert on my 10.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Still waiting for the OTA on my Nexus 5 and 2012 Nexus 7.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.