*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

92,007 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

The Army Good Conduct ribbon on the cloth on Yondu's face at the end was a nice touch. But, why did they have to get rid of Chibs so early?
I totally agree with them dispatching Chibs so quickly.

Why did they bring in such an instantly recognizable character actor like Tommy Flanagan as a Ravager, only to kill him off before he even does anything? I actually got excited when I first saw him; thinking he was going to have a somewhat substantial part or something memorable. Nope. Dead.
Honestly, I think its because a lot of actors want to be apart of the MCU, even in some small role. They'll take what is offered
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Keeping this in the spoiler tag I am quoting from above ...
I thought Drax's beef was specifically with Ronan, not Thanos. Wasn't Ronan the one specifically that murdered his family?

At the end of GOTG, Drax mentions that his true fight is with Thanos

Also in answer to the MacGuffins bar, that is at the AMC theater chain.
wangus12
AG
I think a good tie-in would be just seeing Rocket, Groot and Drax at the Coliseum watching/betting on the fights between Thor and Hulk
rhutton125
AG
Side note, I do kinda want to see it again so maybe my objections will melt away the second time. Especially now that I know exactly what to expect and where the plot will go.
israeliag
AG
wangus12 said:

I think a good tie-in would be just seeing Rocket, Groot and Drax at the Coliseum watching/betting on the fights between Thor and Hulk
And then when all hell inevitably breaks loose in the coliseum, after muttering "not our problem" we see them calmly walking to the exits.

Come to think of it, I feel like there was a shot of Star-Lord in the animated Planet Hulk film...

EDIT: turns out there was:
Hagen95
AG
I really enjoyed this movie. The story was good enough and not too out there. I thought the character development was awesome for a summer blockbuster for sure. Drax was my favorite this time and Rocket really nailed his parts. I laughed so many times during the movie.

My 10 year olds enjoyed it. They are excited about Dunkirk from the trailer as well. Conversely my 8 year old didn't like it much at all. He said there was too much cussing and wasn't age appropriate for him. (But he loves him some Jurassic World). Go figure. They also don't like sitting through the credits for the extras.

Looking forward to the next one.
MooreTrucker
AG
Speaking of sitting through credits, we were at Alamo Drafthouse, and they kept raising the lights then lowering them again when one of the mid-credit scenes came on....then raising them, then lowering them...over and over until the credits finally ended.
TCTTS
AG
Aaand this movie somehow just got even better for me. Some brilliant insight...

Quote:

For the Avengers, working together was a means to defeating a common enemy. For the Guardians of the Galaxy, giving a sh*t about each other is the only path towards finding purpose in a cold and indifferent universe.

And ego (both lowercase and uppercase) is the only thing that might prevent them from doing that. They're constantly fighting the feeling that self-reliance is the only meaningful show of strength. The feeling that they have to insist upon their own value, because no one else ever will. You see it in the moment just before Ego shows up, as Rocket and Quill's squabble over control of their ship almost gets everyone killed. You see it in the Ravagers, who are split apart because of a power vacuum at the top of the food chain. You see it in Ayesha and her Sovereign space race, who won't suffer the slightest indignity without retaliating with the full might of her video game army.

Ego is such a perfect foil for these characters and the world that they inhabit because he's the physical manifestation of the abstract concepts that threaten to destroy them. He's the living embodiment of the self-reliant, self-obsessive, self-interested attitude that threatens to strand each of the Guardians alone in space. Not only does Ego only think of himself, he also wants to expand the very definition of himself to the point where there is literally nothing else to think about (the core of Russell's performance, which cuts deeper than simple braggadocio, is that he simply can't fathom why anyone would want to get in his way). He's not a creature of hate, just of infinite narcissism.

3rdGen2015
AG
Wow, that's excellent
Cromagnum
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I thought at the time it was Space Invaders but don't know for sure.

I think it was Asteroids, especially when they go into the quantum asteroid field (or wtf ever it was called)
TCTTS
AG
Right? Seriously, this movie is such a thematic masterpiece.
Sex Panther
AG
I was gonna say that Kurt Russell's Ego is probably the number two villain of the MCU, which has obviously been Marvel's biggest Achilles heel.

Great character and Russell pulled him off perfectly... Can you imagine the effort that went into creating him when reading about his backstory from the comics? Probably sounded like a lot of fun, but at the same time... where would you even begin to tackle him?
israeliag
AG
And that's the perfect thematic sequel to Guardian 1's main theme: friendship (I mean they literally beat the villain through friendship). What is a more perfect foil to destroying friendship than ego?

Infinite tip o' the hat to Gunn.
c-jags
wangus12 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

The Army Good Conduct ribbon on the cloth on Yondu's face at the end was a nice touch. But, why did they have to get rid of Chibs so early?

Why did they bring in such an instantly recognizable character actor like Tommy Flanagan as a Ravager, only to kill him off before he even does anything? I actually got excited when I first saw him; thinking he was going to have a somewhat substantial part or something memorable. Nope. Dead.
Honestly, I think its because a lot of actors want to be apart of the MCU, even in some small role. They'll take what is offered
i actually enjoy it a lot when actors or random real life people do this.Daniel Craig in Star Wars, Elon Musk in Iron Man, Thomas Lennon in Dark Knight rises... you know they didn't get any money out of it.
jackie childs
Sex Panther said:

I was gonna say that Kurt Russell's Ego is probably the number two villain of the MCU, which has obviously been Marvel's biggest Achilles heel.

Great character and Russell pulled him off perfectly... Can you imagine the effort that went into creating him when reading about his backstory from the comics? Probably sounded like a lot of fun, but at the same time... where would you even begin to tackle him?
uh, that's easy...you draw a planet, then take away its sun so it's like really, really dark

signed,
Zach Snyder
fig96
AG
c-jags said:

wangus12 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

i actually enjoy it a lot when actors or random real life people do this.Daniel Craig in Star Wars, Elon Musk in Iron Man, Thomas Lennon in Dark Knight rises... you know they didn't get any money out of it.
Not to mention while Daniel Craig is a big name, the others really aren't. I recognized Tommy Flanagan and I could tell you a film or two he's been in, but he's the guy that's going to get killed off at some point.
fig96
AG
And as I don't think it was mentioned, $145 million opening weekend and $425 million worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4290&p=.htm

c-jags
fig96 said:

c-jags said:

wangus12 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Not to mention while Daniel Craig is a big name, the others really aren't. I recognized Tommy Flanagan and I could tell you a film or two he's been in, but he's the guy that's going to get killed off at some point.

yep. i actually say the same thing every time i see him on screen. he could show up in a PG romcom and i'd expect him to die in a violent fashion. most unique face in the business.
The Collective
AG
fig96 said:

And as I don't think it was mentioned, $145 million opening weekend and $425 million worldwide.

israeliag
AG
fig96 said:

I was reading that earlier and I found this to be crazy:

Quote:

Digging deeper into the numbers approximately 41% of Guardians 2's weekend gross came from 3D ticket sales, led by China where 99% of all moviegoers saw the film in 3D. [an estimated $48 million opening for Guardians in China] Elsewhere, Germany saw 80% of its sales attributed to 3D, Brazil (76%), Russia (52%), Hong Kong (43%), The Netherlands (90%), Colombia (85%) and Austria (85%). Also, $25 million of the global ticket sales came from IMAX theaters as the film played on 1,088 IMAX screens in 69 markets making it the widest opening in IMAX's history.
Communism comes at you in 3D.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Was listening to the soundtrack again today and I obviously wasn't listening during the end credits very well.

The "guardians inferno" song has lyrics that say: "they ask me why I bring a baby into battle. That's really irresponsible, and getting them all rattled. I say give me a break, get off my back dammit. I didn't learn parenting my daddy was a planet."

So awesome.
KidDoc
AG
israeliag said:

fig96 said:

Quote:

Digging deeper into the numbers approximately 41% of Guardians 2's weekend gross came from 3D ticket sales, led by China where 99% of all moviegoers saw the film in 3D. [an estimated $48 million opening for Guardians in China] Elsewhere, Germany saw 80% of its sales attributed to 3D, Brazil (76%), Russia (52%), Hong Kong (43%), The Netherlands (90%), Colombia (85%) and Austria (85%). Also, $25 million of the global ticket sales came from IMAX theaters as the film played on 1,088 IMAX screens in 69 markets making it the widest opening in IMAX's history.
I did think this is one of the better movies in 3d lately ( Saw it at the Bryan IMAX 3D). Probably the best Marvel so far. I was sadly underwhelmed with Dr Strange 3D and you would think they would have gone nuts with that story.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
derekjohnson15 said:

Was listening to the soundtrack again today and I obviously wasn't listening during the end credits very well.

The "guardians inferno" song has lyrics that say: "they ask me why I bring a baby into battle. That's really irresponsible, and getting them all rattled. I say give me a break, get off my back dammit. I didn't learn parenting my daddy was a planet."

So awesome.
If I'm not mistaken, that's the Hoff doing the singing there.....
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Yes, I do believe that is correct, which makes it all the more awesome
c-jags
KidDoc said:

israeliag said:

fig96 said:

Quote:

I did think this is one of the better movies in 3d lately ( Saw it at the Bryan IMAX 3D). Probably the best Marvel so far. I was sadly underwhelmed with Dr Strange 3D and you would think they would have gone nuts with that story.
interesting. DS itself was a 6/10 to me but the 3d version excelled. i don't do drugs often my friend, but when i do, i want to do shrooms and watch DS in 3d.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never gotten the hate for 3D. But if there's any movie that is worth the 3D, this is one of them.
schmendeler
AG
I have no interest in watching a movie with sunglasses on if given the choice. The amc theater we saw the movie at had some sort of rumble system set up with the bass. That was kind of cool.
Sex Panther
AG
Following up on Marvel's villain problem

We've already gotten a terrific Kurt Russell performance, and later this year we're getting Michael Keaton and Cate Blanchett who both look fantastic from the trailers.

Marvel may be fixing it for good
c-jags
Sex Panther said:

Following up on Marvel's villain problem

We've already gotten a terrific Kurt Russell performance, and later this year we're getting Michael Keaton and Cate Blanchett who both look fantastic from the trailers.

Marvel may be fixing it for good
the hard thing about villains is that you really need to kill them to move the plot along or not be repetitive. and most of the time they only enter the plot as the villain in plain view half way through the movie. so they don't really get to be fleshed out.

Sazerac
AG
I loved it, and the 3D was great (which I usually don't even pay for).
It may have been better than the first, but the first completely over delivered due to low/no expectations, so it's hard to say.
MooreTrucker
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

derekjohnson15 said:

So awesome.
If I'm not mistaken, that's the Hoff doing the singing there.....
Indeed. And Gunn co-wrote it.
The Shank Ag
Who's number one? Loki? Magneto?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Who's number one? Loki? Magneto?
Id

The movies just haven't gotten that far.
The Shank Ag
Then not applicable yet. I fully expect thanos to top the list soon. Brolin and a ruthlessly powerful brute with an infinity gauntlet and desire to rule the galaxy or destroy it.
Sex Panther
AG
Loki without a doubt. Magneto is good but he's not in the MCU

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.