*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

91,807 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Then not applicable yet. I fully expect thanos to top the list soon. Brolin and a ruthlessly powerful brute with an infinity gauntlet and desire to rule the galaxy or destroy it.

Loki (for now). Thanos will soon have the title for top big bad.
TCTTS
AG
Question...

Both thematically and plot wise, where does Guardians 3 go from here?

The plot aspect seems easier to address/invent, but thematically - in terms of character arcs - everyone seems to be in a good place, all things considered. Peter has come to terms with his "daddy issues," Peter and Gamora seem to be on the verge of a relationship, Gamora and Nebula are on as good of terms as they're capable of being, Rocket has at least admitted and seemingly come to grips with his issues, Drax vanquished Ronan (thereby getting his revenge), and Groot, well... he is Groot. And seeing as the team - or family, rather - as a whole has come to love/respect/need each other more than ever, where do they go from here? What do they have left to "learn"?

Most second parts of a franchise trilogy usually end on a cliffhanger of sorts, but Gunn chose a different (and far more satisfying) route by instead leaving nothing dangling, either emotionally or plot-wise. And considering things will likely be even more wrapped up - universally speaking - at the end of Avengers 4 in 2019, what will be left for these characters to go through in the final GotG installment in 2020?

Plot-wise, is there any chance Thanos isn't defeated at the end of Avengers 4, and that deed is somehow left for the Guardians - specifically Gamora and Nebula - for GotG3? Otherwise, is their mission/plight in GotG3 going to pale in comparison to what we will have seen by then in the past two Avengers movies?

And by the way, none of this is to say I'm doubting Gunn at all. I'm just simply curious, because I have absolutely no idea what's in store, and being as conditioned as we are, that's a weird feeling to have after the second movie in a trilogy. That, and I can't think of a single question in need of answering, or a character trait/arc/dynamic that needs addressing at this point. I'm sure whatever Gunn is cooking up will be amazing, and maybe all it needs to be is just one, final, fun adventure that doesn't necessarily have to dive as deep as Vol. 2 did, but I still wanted to throw the question out there in case anyone has any awesome/intriguing ideas.
TCTTS
AG
I also just remembered that Adam thing in one of the post credit scenes. Adam Warlock or something? Is that a robot? An alien? A person? What does he/it do? Not a big comic reader, so I have no idea (though I have heard the name before, I just have no clue what he/it is).
Noblemen06
AG
I don't know the answer here but whatever GOTG 3 is, I'm in. Gunn has masterfully developed his niche within the greater MCU and I don't doubt he'll nail it again. The dynamic between the characters and visuals he's created are so fun, I'd love to see the Guardians continuing adventures around their corner of the galaxy, even if they just just had GOTG-only, standalone stories from here on out (James Bond-esque...without the cast changes).

I'm actually somewhat apprehensive about how someone else utilizes them (doing them justice) when they are integrated into the bigger MCU more intimately.
AggieLitigator
TCTTS said:

I also just remembered that Adam thing in one of the post credit scenes. Adam Warlock or something? Is that a robot? An alien? A person? What does he/it do? Not a big comic reader, so I have no idea (though I have heard the name before, I just have no clue what he/it is).

It would take them all to defeat Adam Warlock. He's going to be a big part of volume 3
Farmer1906
AG
I doubt the full team makes it out if infinity war alive.

They set up 3 with Warlock, but I think there will be a bigger bad and they'll need Adam to help.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aggie1906 said:

They set up 3 with Warlock, but I think there will be a bigger bad and they'll need Adam to help.

I could totally see Nebula sacrificing herself to take down Thanos.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Noblemen06 said:

I'm actually somewhat apprehensive about how someone else utilizes them (doing them justice) when they are integrated into the bigger MCU more intimately.

Gunn will be helping with the next Avengers movie, which the guardians are supposed to be in. So hopefully that means he can help smooth that transition
Farmer1906
AG
Champ Bailey said:

aggie1906 said:

take down? I don't see it. Attempt to take down? I absolutely see it.
stillmerk
AG
In the comics, Adam Warlock was created by scientists on Earth. He was the "perfect being". Traveled to space and was given the soul gem by high evolutionary.
MichaelJ
AG
I thought drax taking the whistle weapon to the chest in the credit scene was hilarious. I got a solid 3 minute chuckle from that.

I mistakenly bought 3D and while it was better than most. I don't get the hype behind 3D and didn't really feel it was used all that much.

Great movie though and agree it was "complete"
rhutton125
AG
Nebula and Adam Warlock are big players in the Infinity Gauntlet run, but unfortunately Warlock won't be in Infinity War. He's likely being saved for Vol. 3.

I don't know a ton about him, but he's very powerful, once contained the Soul Stone in his head and/or once resided inside of the Soul Stone? So if he doesn't appear until after the infinity saga has been resolved, his involvement will likely be very different. But as far as I know he's a major player in the cosmic Marvel universe.

Potential Vol. 3 ideas:
- Peter and Gamora go Facebook official
- Drax's daughter is still alive?
- Anything with Kree, Nova Corps, etc.
- Origin details for Rocket, Groot
- Infinity War follow-up (Infinity Watch, etc.)
- Any kind of teamup with Stallone's Ravagers (the original Guardians from the comics)

But more likely it will be something new entirely and do none of those things!
jeffk
AG
Groot tries to craft the perfect Promposal and deals with the impending rejection.
NC2001
AG
Quote:

Origin details for Rocket, Groot
I would pay to watch these as stand alone movies. Especially the one for Groot. The screenplay is already written. Everyone will just say, "I am Groot".
MooreTrucker
AG
One of the most fun parts of seeing movies at Alamo Drafthouse is the extras before the feature. In this case, they had a whole featurette thing showing each character in the movie and when they first appeared in the comics. It was quite interesting.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

One of the most fun parts of seeing movies at Alamo Drafthouse is the extras before the feature. In this case, they had a whole featurette thing showing each character in the movie and when they first appeared in the comics. It was quite interesting.
That was really good. My wife tends to ask me questions about character backstories for comic book films, which I usually know the answers to, but GotG has been a pretty fluid lineup until the first film so it was cool to see how it all came together.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
aggie1906 said:

Champ Bailey said:

aggie1906 said:

take down? I don't see it. Attempt to take down? I absolutely see it.
In the comics, she's the one who wrests the gauntlet from Thanos and temporarily assumes complete control of the Infinity Stones.....

Bulldog73
AG
I had to miss all but the first mid-credit scenes. Did I miss anything super informative or hilarious? Do those usually end up being uploaded to YouTube or anything?
MooreTrucker
AG
Well, there was that one thing, but we were sworn to secrecy.
LeonardSkinner
MooreTrucker said:

We also said we wouldn't mention that there even was "that one thing."
OnlyForNow
AG
Could they have used the soul stone to create Adam Warlock.
miller0926
AG
If Warlock won't be showing up until Vol. 3 and assuming Thanos will be in possession of all the stones for Infinity War, then the theory that I think will play out is that Heimdall does have the soul stone in his chest and that's the reason for the orange eyes, and also why in Thor's vision in Age of Ultron he was blaming Thor for getting everyone killed and his eyes were blank (maybe the main storyline for Ragnarok and setting up Infinity War).

That's the theory I like that I've seen in videos since Ultron, but all the comic book people always think it's Warlock. I don't know anything about the comics so just take this as just a fan theory.
MooreTrucker
AG
aggie kid said:

MooreTrucker said:

We also said we wouldn't mention that there even was "that one thing."
Dammit. I forgot that part. Too many Blood & Honeys I guess.
AliasMan02
AG
OMG LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT IT!

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-groot-hot-toys-903025/

People are too talented and must be stopped before they get all of my money. This is up for preorder for $189.
schmendeler
AG
I didn't know you were a neckbeard.
AliasMan02
AG
schmendeler said:

I didn't know you were a neckbeard.
I'm not, but that thing rules. I sadly don't own any "collectible" stuff like that, but if I had $200-300 that I was FORCED to spend on something frivolous and pointless, I bet I'd end up spending it at Hot Toys.
TCTTS
AG
BTHOthatguy
So crazy question. Is there ANY chance this gets a best picture nomination?
MrPlow2010
AG
I don't know if this has been discussed here yet but did Ego ever explain why he had to put the tumor in Peter's mom's brain?
schmendeler
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed here yet but did Ego ever explain why he had to put the tumor in Peter's mom's brain?

He couldn't stay away from earth because of her.
The Shank Ag
Spoilers... or are we past that
Post removed:
by user
Sea Pony 07
AG
I saw this movie twice on opening weekend. The only other movie I have ever seen twice opening weekend was the Avengers. And I keep thinking about going to see it again this week. I liked the music a lot better the second viewing.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Fun Guardians Easter egg theory....

http://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-movie-hidden-easter-egg/

LeonardSkinner
Hey, does anyone know where I can get one of those Zunes?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.