*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

91,802 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

ill never EVER understand why people get all vapory about cursing

I curse quite a bit. I think cursing can add an element to a movie. I've grown so tired of the eff word used to "toughen" up movies it to fill empty space in things like stand up. There's a place for cursing, but it can also be lazy.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
third coast.. said:

ill never EVER understand why people get all vapory about cursing
You don't have kids, do you?

This wasn't an issue with me, even though my 10 year old was sitting right next to me. But, I can understand why someone may not want quite as much casual swearing in a comic book movie.
Complete Idiot
I thought it was good. I laughed, I cried.

People taking their young kids to a PG-13 movie aren't going to care about language. I get those that are comic book fans saying it doesn't feel true to the comic book to have lots of adult language, but the studio can't rely on just those fans to get a huge box office.

I saw kids under 8 years old in the showing I went to, seems a bit intense for them but it's the parent's choice. Even baby Groot killed a man.
SeattleAgJr
miller0926
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

TooTall 06 said:

Wow....that was bad. Liked the first one, this one...not so much. This was terrible. I know it is not supposed to be a comedy masterpiece, but the jokes were lame and sophomoric on the level of a transformers movie.

The visuals were awesome and the music was great, but this was Star Wars Episode 1 cringe worthy.

While I understand some may not like it as much as the first, I'd say your opinion isn't going to be shared by many more.

I thought it was f-ing hilarious. Just so much fun.

The Zune, Mary Poppins, hell....the whole sequence with Yondu and Rocket trying to explain to Groot about the fin with Groot coming back with random sh*t was just so hilarious. A severed toe? That's Transformers level humor?

Tazer Face? How were you not laughing at that?

Oh, and great post-credit scenes. The Watchers, Adam Warlock.....really good stuff for comic fans.
All great moments.... but I think my favorite was when Drax let Mantis pet his puppy.

Drax was probably my favorite character in this one.
SeattleAgJr
I liked it. It was entertaining.

But not as good as the first one.

I felt they were trying too hard for everything.

Also the CGI/green screen annoyed me more this time
FightinTexasAg15
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Overall I thought the visuals and cgi were pretty great. But there was a point towards the end I think when Peter and his dad are flying at each other that it looked pretty terrible.
SeattleAgJr
derekjohnson15 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Overall I thought the visuals and cgi were pretty great. But there was a point towards the end I think when Peter and his dad are flying at each other that it looked pretty terrible.
I appreciate the art design but after a while it was just too much.

Like the technicolor version of Wizard of Oz when Dorothy was in Oz. It was too much.

Pro Ag
AG
During the credits I saw what looked like a regularly dressed human, anyone catch who that was? And I will be the next to confirm Goldblum's character in the credits. Thought the end credits were fun and well-done. Enjoyed seeing all the "I am Groot" entries and then having them translated.

I want to rewatch it for the opening scene as I kept changing my focus between Groot and the background, I am sure I missed something.
SeattleAgJr
Goldblum = Grandmaster
Urban Ag
AG
Took my kids last night, We loved it. Great movie. It's not change your life good, just a lot of fun family movie.

I think what they've gotten so right with Guardians is the characters are pretty much great top to bottom. Make the audience care about the characters and you're three quarters of the way to a great movie.
jeffk
AG
Drifter. said:

Drax was great. Every time he would let out one of his big belly laughs, it would crack me up!

I have famously large turds!
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
I don't know is this has been discussed already, but why did ego need Peter? All their power came from the same source. Adding another person wouldn't yield any more power.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty fun movie. Reminded me a bit of the last Star Trek.

However I'm super disappointed in the soundtrack. Who chose the music?
Post removed:
by user
AliasMan02
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't know is this has been discussed already, but why did ego need Peter? All their power came from the same source. Adding another person wouldn't yield any more power.
Don't worry about it.

But seriously Peter does seem to have power of his own, even though it stems from the same light as Ego. He was going to be able to build a planet of his own and self-sustain, it seemed.
schmendeler
AG
third coast.. said:

He wanted to do it with someone else. He was about to be the only person left in the universe

I seem to remember him saying he couldn't do it himself.
Fairview
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't think so. Peter was adding his power to Ego (who is the planet). Ego said he can just use him as a battery if Peter didn't go along with it.

It's also why he mated with all the different species trying to create another celestial. They didn't work so he killed them and added them to the pile of bones.
schmendeler
AG
Fairview said:

schmendeler said:

I don't think so. Peter was adding his power to Ego (who is the planet). Ego said he can just use him as a battery if Peter didn't go along with it.

It's also why he mated with all the different species trying to create another celestial. They didn't work so he killed them and added them to the pile of bones.

He was only able to tap into the power of the planet. He couldn't create any himself. Ego told him as much right at the end. Then they showed the flames dying in his hands.
Fairview
AG
schmendeler said:

Fairview said:

schmendeler said:

He was only able to tap into the power of the planet. He couldn't create any himself. Ego told him as much right at the end. Then they showed the flames dying in his hands.

Good point.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jeffk said:

Drifter. said:

Drax was great. Every time he would let out one of his big belly laughs, it would crack me up!

I have famously large turds!
I think I laughed most at this line.

I thought Vol 2 was a dang good movie, really funny, had a bit of an emotional aspect to it, good character development ... but overall just was not as good a movie as Vol 1. This is not to say it was bad at all; just that Vol 1 was so very much superior. Perhaps it was the freshness of these characters the first time around.

Still, there is lots to love about this movie. Most particularly Drax, Rocket and Groot.
nickstro66
AG
So when do we do our new ranking of the MCU movies that seems to happen every time a new movie comes out?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Season 2 True Detective was awful.
BQ_00
AG
For those other comic book nerds like me, the reference to Adam Warlock made in the credits was a cool bonus. Movie was great!
Ags-R-Better
Great movie, had me and my kids cracking up through most of it. Drax and Groot stole the show. Go see it!
nickstro66
AG
So is Stallone getting his own MCU movie now?
TCTTS
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a blockbuster masterpiece.

And I don't care how hyperbolic that sounds. I mean it.

Those of you didn't find it as good as the first, or good period... what do you want from a movie like this that you didn't get?

It was phenomenal.

The action, the effects, the humor, the emotion, the look, the vibe... this is as good as tried-and-true comic book filmmaking gets. I expected funny, but that was straight up hilarious. Consistently, and throughout. Maybe the funniest superhero blockbuster I can remember. And there were so many amazing action sequences that weren't just great action, but so beautifully choreographed and visually stunning. Before going in, I also kept seeing all these reactions about the plot feeling disjointed or not being as good as the first. Seriously? The plot here - both narratively and especially thematically - was tighter, and to me at least, felt far more fleshed out than the last movie (which I loved).

More than all that, though, the thing that made this so truly special was the character work. EVERY main character not only had a complete arc, but each one, in their own right, was so damn compelling. I can't remember the last time I saw any movie with a core cast this large tell such a complete and focused story for each of its characters. And then to weave them all together like that.... do you guys have idea how hard that is? To have each separate storyline come together in such a way to inform and propel the overall plot like that... it was legitimately masterful. The way Rocket and Yondu connected to better each other... the way Gamora and Nebula came to reconcile in their own way... Groot's absolutely heartbreaking stint aboard the Ravenger ship and subsequent revenge... the Drax/Mantis pairing (which was admittedly the least important but hands down the funniest)... and of course the Peter/Ego/Yondu dynamic. To take such a small thread in the last movie - the thread between Peter and Yondu - and turn it into what it became in this one... that's how you do a sequel. That's how you plant a seed and have it grow into something so unexpectedly poignant and emotional.

Overall, James Gunn milked the dynamic of this team and these characters for everything it's worth, in the best possible way. And sure, I get how the psychedelic space opera vibe being turned up to 11 might turn some people off, but at the same time... that's EXACTLY what Guardians of the Galaxy is. This was the perfect cinematic embodiment of what this comic always was and intended to be. How anyone can like the first one but complain about this one is beyond me.

It feels weird to say, because it's obviously not quite as integral or connected as the other movies... but I seriously think this might be my favorite Marvel movie ever. More than Iron Man. More than The Avengers. More than Winter Solider. I loved every scene, sequence, character, and song choice (the deep cut slower stuff really landed with me), and felt things watching this one that I haven't in any other movie in the MCU.

Holy hell, if this is any indication, we're in for an amazing summer. What a phenomenal start.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...

They've officially done it. Hollywood can now make any actor any age they want, in utterly convincing fashion.

Because young Kurt Russel was flawless.

I saw the movie with a friend of mine who's a graphic artist (he did the new Pirates of the Caribbean logo) - one of the most critical people I know when it comes to effects - and he was just blown away. He couldn't stop talking about how convincing that was. And truly, it was. Until now, there's always been a bit of a tell... the mouth moved weird, the skin was too smooth... but I was absolutely convinced in that being a young Kurt Russel, without a doubt. Can't remember the last time I was that stunned at an effect. Just amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Pony 07
AG
I feel stupid, I didn't realize young Kurt Russell was cgi.

Much better cgi than Beauty and the Beast.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a blockbuster masterpiece.

And I don't care how hyperbolic that sounds. I mean it.

Those of you didn't find it as good as the first, or good period... what do you want from a movie like this that you didn't get?

That is your opinion.
As I have said in previous threads, I like the content you bring to the Entertainment board TCTTS, but that kind of hyperbole leaves me thinking you went drinking after the movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.