*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

91,856 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What if I had a beer before?
Ag Since 83
AG
I liked the movie, but didn't love it like the first one. The ending was definitely really good,, but they went a bit too much into the typical sequel "more of the same but bigger" trap for me to say it was as good.

I don't particularly care about Nebula's story at all, but that's mostly because I'm tired of 5 years of Marvel movies with Thanos teaser trailers nested in them. But hey, just one more year, right?

And personally I thought young Kurt Russell looked creepy. Right up there with young Leia
Noblemen06
AG
As far as sequels go, this GOTG vol 2 was awesome!

The cast continues to shine from top to bottom and the dialogue was hilarious and emotional as designed.

Marvel did it again!
jeffk
AG
It may have been lacking in some areas, but Vol. 2 was the most fun I've had in a comic book movie.
Scotty Flamingo
Loved it. Drax steals the show again
jac4
AG
Really enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the first, but that would be a tall order given low expectations of Vol 1 and ridiculously high expectations of Vol 2.

Loved Peter flirting with the Sovereign High Priestess and the Zune bit.

Potential spoilers below:

Actually sad they killed off Yondu, but liked the redemption and subsequent Ravager funeral. I presume Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh Ravager movies will be coming out. I loved the Stan Lee line, But I have so many more stories to tell.

And a question:

When the Ego plants start to expand on various planets, I recognized Earth and Xandar. Did they show it happening on a Kree planet as well?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

what do you want from a movie like this that you didn't get?
This is difficult to put into words, but I think it comes down to a feeling of surprise. I recall a bunch of people not thinking GOTG was going to be a great movie. I was ambivalent about it due to unfamiliarity with the characters. I went in with an open mind and came out on a serious high: I had just been treated to an incredibly fun journey with characters that were awesome and a story that fit in to the overall MCU arc regarding the infinity stones.

I think my earlier comments on GOTG2 are fair. It is a really good movie. Characterizations and humor are its best points. But I went in with a certain set of expectations, and it met them. It did not exceed expectations for me.

I remember a critic talking about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, saying something like a film suffers when they give the audience exactly what they want. Interestingly, I think there was some uncertainty over Raiders of the Lost Ark being able to capture a similar level of success as had Lucas' Star Wars. So that one was similar to GOTG in its surprise and great feelings after having first seen it.
AliasMan02
AG
I presume Stallone and crew are the villains in Volume 3.

Most of the young Ego work was apparently practical.
Dr. Horrible
Loved it. Top 5 comic book movie for me. Right up there with the first one. I think anyone arguing one or the other can easily make the case. I think personally I put this one above simply because I liked Ego as the villain more than Ronan.
bedofbrass33
AG
Gotta agree with TCTTS. Plot was way tighter on this one. Great storyline. Loved the over the top coloration and choreography.

I think people got that "first high school love, butterflies in the stomach" feel from Vol 1. Naturally you aren't going to get that with Vol 2 so Vol 1 is remembered more fondly.
benMath08
AG
Put me in the "even better than the first one" camp. Fantastic movie, and one of the most FUN movies I've seen in a long, long time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC, I'm curious, were you this high on the latest Star Trek? Because I felt they were very similar movies and am curious if you feel the same.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TC, I'm curious, were you this high on the latest Star Trek? Because I felt they were very similar movies and am curious if you feel the same.
I don't see the similarities at all.
TCTTS
AG
After Into Darkness, which I didn't like at all, I was pleasantly surprised by Beyond. Didn't love it, but it was a solid effort, and I had fun. I can't remember the specifics, I just remember having an issue with Idris Elba's character's story, his motivations, etc. Felt not very fleshed out. But yeah, overall, I do enjoy movies where the "team" is broken up and has to get back together, which both movies share.
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I didn't get that vibe at all.

It should be Adam & Sovereign, but Adam can't stay a baddie.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is this worth seeing in 3D?
Farmer1906
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Is this worth seeing in 3D?
If you like 3D, then yes. There are a few moments that really show it off.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Actually, Stallone and his crew were a nod to the original lineup of the Guardians (introduced in comics back in the mid '70s) and this comic is set in the year 3000.

The blue guy on the top is Starhawk aka Stakar Ogord (Stallone's character)
The big guy on the left is Charlie 27 (Ving Rhames)
Then, there's Yondu with his fin.
The crystal guy (Stallone's right hand man) is Martinex. Wow, he was played by Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville.
The black & white colored guy is Vance Astro, who eventually finds Captain America's shield.
The only one not on the cover is Michelle Yeoh. She plays the new Starkhawk and is Stallone's ex-wife.
There was also an android in the movie named Mainframe. She was voiced by Miley Cyrus(!).

I think that they were set up as a possible spin-off or may just make an appearance joining the fight against Thanos.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Another bit of surprising casting:

Tazerface was played by Chris Sullivan from "This is Us"

Ulrich
I almost died when Groot showed up with a toe. Couldn't breathe, hunched over in my chair laughing.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. I laughed so hard in this movie - harder and more frequently than most straight up comedies. That was such a great sequence.
TCTTS
AG
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
SeattleAgJr
third coast.. said:

im pretty bummed blue merle is gone
dude.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
After the last few Fast & Furious movies, a Tarantino western and now this Marvel movie, I'm just so hopeful that this is just the beginning of the Kurt Russell renaissance. I've truly missed him.

Hopefully, Birdman and Spider-Man Homecoming are also just the beginning of the Michael Keaton renaissance.

Those two fine actors deserve a comeback.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Hell, after that opening scene, Kurt Russell can now star in movies from here to eternity.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
No offense, but rule of thumb has always been that if there's no specific spoiler thread for a movie, spoilers are fair game in the main thread after a day or two on opening weekend. No different than a TV show thread. Once an episode airs or a movie releases, the burden lies on you to see it or avoid the thread.
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

Hell, after that opening scene, Kurt Russell can now star in movies from here to eternity.

That was so good I didn't even wonder how they did it. It's the 80s, of course Kurt Russell looks like that.

Pretty cool having Stallone and Kurt Russell in an 80s themed movie. Now taking odds on a Schwarzenegger appearance next time around.
SeattleAgJr
No worries, I got to see the movie last weekend.

I just thought we had an informal rule through the first weekend for everyone.
Pro Ag
AG
Removed since the spoiler stuff has been covered.
TCTTS
AG
Yep, as I already said, first time I've ever been 100% convinced by that effect. So damn good.

And don't forget the Stallone / Michael Rooker Cliffhanger reunion as well!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.