Sorry, not sorry, oilfield workers

33,163 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Carlo4
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Here are my brief, quick numbers:

180MM personal vehicles
$3.50 vs. $1.60 gasoline ($1.90 difference)
Avg. fuel tank size 15gals
Average fill-up 10 days
180MM (vehicles)x3.5 (cost)x15 (fuel)x36(fill-ups/yr)=$340MMM in fuel expenditures (this is just personal vehicles)
Same formula but change fuel cost to $1.6=$155MMM

340-155=185

That's $185 billion in new money for the economy. So roughly $1000/personal vehicle.

Now for the lost jobs. What number do you want to use? 200K? 300K? Hell, I'll use 400K (I know it's not that high). With an average salary of $100K.

So... 400,000x100,000=40,000,000,000 or 40 billion...

185MMM-40MMM= 145MMM

$145MMM that isn't going directly into O&G and is being spread out across the economy. This is just using personal fuel consumption. Not including reduced cost of diesel transportation and petroleum based products. As a whole, low oil is great for the economy. Take the Texas rose colored glasses off.

According to the EIA global usage of petroleum is around 94,000,000 bbls per DAY. At just $80 / bbl that's $7,520,000,000 a DAY going into the hands of private companies and governments that own and produce oil. Today that oil instead is selling for $35 / bbl, or just $3,290,000,000 per DAY.

That is $4.23 BILLION DAILY that is not being globally reinvested in infrastructure build outs, industrial contracts, commercial real estate, re-investment in companies for future growth, salaries, stock dividends, and overall stock growth (ie your IRA or 401k). For government owned oil, that is revenue that is not being funneled into government coffers. In Texas that reduction is seen in the plummeting revenues from the states severance tax that is collected on Oil & Gas production. That also relates to tens or hundreds of millions that are not directly funneled into the public universities through royalties being paid by wells on Public School Lands.

I firmly believe that private citizens can spend on gasoline savings doesn't hold a candle to what these companies can spend that leads to further economic growth. X Oil company continually replacing fleets of work trucks moves Detroit's needle. Joe Consumer deciding that his fuel bill getting cut in half and buying something else (while never financially/economically viable) does NOT move the needle in Detroit. When X oil company discovers a new onshore reserve and completes an infrastructure build out in a region they spend hundreds of millions or even billions with ripples that touch countless industries. Offshore drilling rigs are built in shipyards and directly employ thousands. Indirectly they employ 10 fold that. Same goes for production platforms. Both of these cost in the hundreds of millions to just under a billion dollars. Even land drilling rigs take months to build and can directly employ hundreds. A single shale drilling pad will at a minimum have almost 30 people employed and living (housed) on location during drilling alone. That doesn't begin to count the 100+ that will be there for weeks when multiple wells on that pad are fraced. This of course neglects the THOUSANDS of truck loads of equipment and consumables that are brought to that location and the people behind the scenes to create or produce what is loaded onto those trucks.

So go ahead and cut all of that by over $4 BILLION and make up for it when your fuel tank only costs $45 to fill instead of $70.

When Oil & Gas has their primary layoffs the ripples of lost contracts move across a myriad of industries.
80s Guy
quote:
I will say this, though, I've spent many summers throughout high school and college working for them, and plumbing is hard ****ing work.
Yep, I had him come out last week to dig a hole with his backhoe to bury a cow. He sent his son, a senior in HS, on one of those cold assed windy days. I asked him if he would be joining his dad in the family business and he said, "Hell no! I am going to A&M to be an engineer. The money is good but I don't like sticking my hands in **** all the time!"
Builder93
AG
So a doctor has a leak in his office and tells the office manger to call a plumber stat. Plumber arrives and does his work. After 2 hours the plumber is finished up and hands the doctor the bill. Stunned, the doctor says, "What? I'm a doctor and I don't even charge this much!" To which the plumber replies, "That what I said when I was a doctor."

Seriously, after being in construction for 20+ years, almost everyday I ask myself why I didn't go into plumbing. After you get your master's license you really don't have to do much physical labor and the pay is incredible. I have multiple plumber friends who work when they want and make 6 figures.

Human
AG
quote:
So a doctor has a leak in his office and tells the office manger to call a plumber stat. Plumber arrives and does his work. After 2 hours the plumber is finished up and hands the doctor the bill. Stunned, the doctor says, "What? I'm a doctor and I don't even charge this much!" To which the plumber replies, "That what I said when I was a doctor."

Seriously, after being in construction for 20+ years, almost everyday I ask myself why I didn't go into plumbing. After you get your master's license you really don't have to do much physical labor and the pay is incredible. I have multiple plumber friends who work when they want and make 6 figures.

I agree.

If I could do it over I would have worked on my Master Plumbing License and opened up my own shop.

AG

this is pretty telling, history has shown that the economy is stronger when oil prices are lower.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:
It's a good day to be a business bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.
Ha bro, its never good to be a bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.

Dallas on the other hand...
Well all of your cases keep getting shopped to Wilmington. And the bar here was sad/slow for a while too. What are you up to these days? Still at the same shop?
The Collective
AG
I feel bad for those suffering. I'm glad that I'm not on facebook to let a few whiny individuals jade me on the plight of an entire industry that I'm sure has plenty of hard-working, good people.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
quote:
quote:
...Oh, and the economy is doing just fine,...

Great venting OP, but got to disagree with you here. I agree with your premise that the entire economy isn't as dependent upon oil as it used to be decades ago, but the economy is not fine compared to what the U.S. is used to. Labor participation rate worst ever in history, GDP growth much lower than normal and has been declining for last 5 years+, stock market plunged over the last 6 months, along with China and not an insignificant portion of the world economy (which affects the way U.S. corporations do business & costs). National debt is at an unprecedented level and has grown more under this president by far than any other, healthcare costs are way up, job creation at a much lower rate the this decade than the previous, etc.

The sky is not falling, but by a lot of major metrics, the economy is NOT fine, despite what this delusional president may mislead this nation to believe.

I agree, I misspoke on the state of the economy being fine, but we could talk about economic policy for days and what we need to do to fix it. Bottom line though is that we don't need $75+ oil for a healthy economy. If you look at economic growth over the last 50 years the economy does much better when oil prices are low or at least at a happy medium, which in my opinion would be around $45-$55 a barrel.

You're correct in your examination of the impact of low oil prices in economic growth over the last 50 years. What you failed to account for is the relative portion of US GDP that is attributed to O&G, and the shrinking manufacturing sector.

Over the last decade O&G has grown significantly as a percentage of US GDP. As a result downturns in oil will have greater negative impact on the US economy overall, and the inversely beneficial impact of cheaper energy may not be enough to outweigh the losses anymore, especially with the manufacturing sector, which has historically been the primary beneficiary of low energy prices, shrinking rapidly as a percentage of the US economy.

So far in this downturn there seems to be just enough benefit to the overall economy to offset the losses in the energy sector, but no more. Essentially resulting in an even transfer of economic health from O&G heavy areas like Texas and North Dakota to energy light areas in other parts of the country.

It will be interesting to see how that trend holds up over time as the losses in O&G increase.
GoneGirl
AG
We have a geologist friend who works for a O&G company and he's getting laid off. Not immediately but in a month or so. They've been good while the going was good and he's got savings so they'll be alright with a little belt tightening. I worry for them and my other friends in the industry, but most of my other friends are downstream, so they aren't really hurting right now.

I did however like filling my gas tank for $29 this morning.
Post removed:
by user
AggiePirate
AG
IIIHorn
#blackgoldlivesmatter
LostInLA07
AG
quote:
My guess most O&G professionals would admit that Oil should have never been over 100.00

Just my .02

Not so much that it shouldn't have been, but $100+ oil was clearly bad for the industry long-term. Same holds true for low prices though, because they will cause another spike and then the cycle repeats.
80s Guy
quote:
Not so much that it shouldn't have been, but $100+ oil was clearly bad for the industry long-term. Same holds true for low prices though, because they will cause another spike and then the cycle repeats.
Just like it has for a long time. Boom and bust!
Zemira
AG
quote:
It's a good day to be a business bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.
I'm learning more about bankruptcy and legal crap than I ever wanted to know!
Ginormus Ag
AG
Screw you guys! My royalty checks are about 1/3 what they were!
EFE
AG
quote:

This
chipotle
Gas on Fridays. I'm doing my part.
Vernada
AG
quote:
Care to explain how it isn't?

You have google don't you?

I'm sure you can find the same articles (and more) that I came across last week.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Think about all the poor prostitutes who were serving south and west texas, they're gonna have to go back to the big cities.
histag10
AG
quote:
Think about all the poor prostitutes who were serving south and west texas, they're gonna have to go back to the big cities.

Poor Williston. So many strippers are being laid off
Builder93
AG
quote:
quote:

This
It must be hard having not that money coming in.

On the other hand, it's much easier for me to fill up my truck.

Seriously, though. Black eye? Really?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Cool. So you've thrown out a theory and then when asked to present something to support it, you run to the ol'trusty "go google it yourself" argument. Sooo... What did you do in O&G or did you miss out on a huge bonus?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Think he was being sarcastic...
Builder93
AG
quote:
Think he was being sarcastic...
I hope so. I have extended family who are oil heirs from generations back. I don't have much patience for their complaints about oil prices. I know it's easy to say, but if that were me, every time that check came in I would be grateful no matter how big or small it was.

And, EagleFordEarl, if you put your blood, tears and sweat into earning it, good for you.
histag10
AG
quote:
Cool. So you've thrown out a theory and then when asked to present something to support it, you run to the ol'trusty "go google it yourself" argument. Sooo... What did you do in O&G or did you miss out on a huge bonus?

Here's one

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21688854-low-energy-prices-ought-be-shot-arm-economy-think-again-whos-afraid-cheap

Basically the gist is that normally low oil boosts the economy (typically a 10% drop). However, this time it fell 75% rapidly, which can cause problems in other industries and other countries, which has the potential to seriously hurt our economy
MouthBQ98
AG
quote:
this is pretty telling, history has shown that the economy is stronger when oil prices are lower.

This trend may not be quite as it was before, as we had become a net exporter around 2010, whereas before we were a tremendous importer of oil. If the low price drops US production dramatically, and it already has, we become a net exporter again and will be sending dollars overseas again.
ClickClack
AG
What is this about buying big trucks and boats? Most of us are just regular working people supporting a family with a reasonable income. I find out if I have a job still in March. This is round 2.
EFE
AG
The ranch has been in the family since the early 1800's. We've maintained it as a working cattle/wildlife operation since then. Lots of blood, sweat and tears have been shed in the name of keeping that place together. The oil money has always been a happy bonus that went towards improvements, but not what we depended on. But..... Money is pretty fcking cool
Builder93
AG
I'm glad to hear that. I hope your wells keep helping you out.

My experience has been with people who collect checks from wells that are still pumping from 100 years ago. They have been back to the ranch a handful of times.
MouthBQ98
AG
The big trucks and boats people are the roughnecks and assistant drillers and drillers and such who pull down $70-$200K when their educational peers are making $40K driving a UPS truck, or $15 an hour swinging a hammer. Yeah, they tend to make some irrational financial choices.

The engineer planning the well, or the buyer purchasing its parts and consumables are making sub six figs mostly, and are better educated and tend to make better financial choices. They are all getting laid off, now.
IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Here's one

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21688854-low-energy-prices-ought-be-shot-arm-economy-think-again-whos-afraid-cheap

Basically the gist is that normally low oil boosts the economy (typically a 10% drop). However, this time it fell 75% rapidly, which can cause problems in other industries and other countries, which has the potential to seriously hurt our economy

The rule of thumb is that a 10% fall in oil prices boosts growth by 0.1-0.5 percentage points.

U.S. GDP Growth:
2012- 2.3
2013- 2.2
2014- 2.4
2015- 2.4

Anyone mind telling me which years had higher oil prices out of those?
MouthBQ98
AG
Again, does that still apply after we've become a net exporter of oil?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Won't this be the fist measurable year for that in quite some time? The U.S. was not allowed to export oil (small exceptions with Mexico and Canada) until this year. The embargo was just lifted. We've been able to export petroleum products, but never the crude itself (with exception to the small cases). Only time will be able to tell that, but historically and GDP growth over the course of history proves that lower oil prices are a net gain for the U.S. economy.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
#blackgoldlivesmatter
best poster on texags

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.