Sorry, not sorry, oilfield workers

33,162 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Carlo4
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a good day to be a business bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.
Furlock Bones
AG
true words
Chazz03
AG
quote:

On the bright side, used oversized custom truck rims and tires, side by sides with all the options, and wakeboard boats should be getting pretty cheap on Craigslist.
And the YETIs Don't forget about the Yeti's
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
Here is my take, get over yourself you whiny *****es. I refuse to feel sorry for someone who knowingly took a job in an industry that for the last hundred years has been nothing but boom or bust, if you don't like it get a different job.
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
quote:
I sure am glad that I'm working in an industry like tech where I'm immune to industry downturns
Not working in 2000-2002 I take it?

Thatsthejoke.torrent
bmc13
AG
quote:
Plumber?

moonshiner
62strat
AG
I got laid off from O&G in July. Since then I've purchased a newer truck than I previously had, and I've still paid the mortgage on my $400k home. I switched to commercial construction, and 2015 was a record year in its 50 year history.

One mans bust is another mans boom I suppose.

I do wonder how much of the downfall of the market recently is attributed to the O&G bust. Purely coincidental? I'm skeptical of that. So while you may love the $40 car fill up, how much money have you lost in the value of your investments?
chjoak
AG
My BIL is a roughneck with a degree in Finance from TXSt. Despite is financial expertise (per his wife) in the last 6 yrs since graduating (been in O&G for 5) he has...

Before O&G
- bought a cheap used truck
- bought a cheap used motorcycle
After O&G
- traded in truck (was upside down) for a new $45k GMC. Added various aftermarket accessories.
- bought a used wave runner
- traded in motorcycle for a Harley
- Downgraded GMC to a used Ford F150 with Ecoboost for lower payments and gas mileage so he could afford a house payment after knocking up and marrying girlfriend
- sold wave runner at a big loss
- sold Harley at a loss (did not even recover what he owed at the time)
- traded in F150 (after damaging it mudding and once again he was upside down) for a used F250 (good bye cheaper payments). Added various aftermarket accessories.
- traded in F250 (of course he was upside down) for newer F250 Diesel (hello higher fuel and maintenance costs). Added various aftermarket accessories.

He has no savings.
They are fixing to have kid #3 (3 kids under 3 yrs old).
Wife makes $20k/yr and will be quitting to be a stay at home mom (couldn't afford daycare for 3 kids in diapers anyway).
He has survived 2 layoffs but his company is now just surviving off of pre-bust contracts and it's only a matter of time before damn near everyone gets cut loose.
Betoisafurry
Lot of butt hurt lol poors posting on this thread.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
...Oh, and the economy is doing just fine,...

Great venting OP, but got to disagree with you here. I agree with your premise that the entire economy isn't as dependent upon oil as it used to be decades ago, but the economy is not fine compared to what the U.S. is used to. Labor participation rate worst ever in history, GDP growth much lower than normal and has been declining for last 5 years+, stock market plunged over the last 6 months, along with China and not an insignificant portion of the world economy (which affects the way U.S. corporations do business & costs). National debt is at an unprecedented level and has grown more under this president by far than any other, healthcare costs are way up, job creation at a much lower rate the this decade than the previous, etc.

The sky is not falling, but by a lot of major metrics, the economy is NOT fine, despite what this delusional president may mislead this nation to believe.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
I sure am glad that I'm working in an industry like tech where I'm immune to industry downturns
Not working in 2000-2002 I take it?
joke brah
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
A lot of college grads don't realize how much money there is to be made in blue collar industries because everyone wants to be white collar and views blue collar work as beneath them.
BeastmodeAg
AG
I feel bad for people losing their jobs but not when they knowingly go buy a 50k truck and boast about not going to college to get it.
Fighting Texas Aggie
People keep saying there will be a lot of trucks put up for sale, but where do you find these sales? Are most people under water and just wait for the repo man?
AG
quote:
quote:
...Oh, and the economy is doing just fine,...

Great venting OP, but got to disagree with you here. I agree with your premise that the entire economy isn't as dependent upon oil as it used to be decades ago, but the economy is not fine compared to what the U.S. is used to. Labor participation rate worst ever in history, GDP growth much lower than normal and has been declining for last 5 years+, stock market plunged over the last 6 months, along with China and not an insignificant portion of the world economy (which affects the way U.S. corporations do business & costs). National debt is at an unprecedented level and has grown more under this president by far than any other, healthcare costs are way up, job creation at a much lower rate the this decade than the previous, etc.

The sky is not falling, but by a lot of major metrics, the economy is NOT fine, despite what this delusional president may mislead this nation to believe.

I agree, I misspoke on the state of the economy being fine, but we could talk about economic policy for days and what we need to do to fix it. Bottom line though is that we don't need $75+ oil for a healthy economy. If you look at economic growth over the last 50 years the economy does much better when oil prices are low or at least at a happy medium, which in my opinion would be around $45-$55 a barrel.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
1.2 billion Indians are ready to Do The Needful in your butthole, partner. You had better revert ASAP.

Not sure if idiot or troll.

BeastmodeAg
AG
quote:
People keep saying there will be a lot of trucks put up for sale, but where do you find these sales? Are most people under water and just wait for the repo man?

Good question but I'd steer clear of one owned by oilfield trash they tend to abuse em
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
quote:
1.2 billion Indians are ready to Do The Needful in your butthole, partner. You had better revert ASAP.

Not sure if idiot or troll.

I swear, it's like some of you dumbasses don't even read threads before you post in them
Ag03 CQE
AG
quote:
A lot of college grads don't realize how much money there is to be made in blue collar industries because everyone wants to be white collar and views blue collar work as beneath them.

This is true. I wish our schools would stop pushing every student to go to college. It's not the best option for everyone and there's plenty of money to be made without a degree.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Here are my brief, quick numbers:

180MM personal vehicles
$3.50 vs. $1.60 gasoline ($1.90 difference)
Avg. fuel tank size 15gals
Average fill-up 10 days
180MM (vehicles)x3.5 (cost)x15 (fuel)x36(fill-ups/yr)=$340MMM in fuel expenditures (this is just personal vehicles)
Same formula but change fuel cost to $1.6=$155MMM

340-155=185

That's $185 billion in new money for the economy. So roughly $1000/personal vehicle.

Now for the lost jobs. What number do you want to use? 200K? 300K? Hell, I'll use 400K (I know it's not that high). With an average salary of $100K.

So... 400,000x100,000=40,000,000,000 or 40 billion...

185MMM-40MMM= 145MMM

$145MMM that isn't going directly into O&G and is being spread out across the economy. This is just using personal fuel consumption. Not including reduced cost of diesel transportation and petroleum based products. As a whole, low oil is great for the economy. Take the Texas rose colored glasses off.
boboguitar
AG
If my industry crashes, that probably means the apocalypse has occurred.
LostInLA07
AG
Are you a priest?
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Are you a priest?
Close, software dev.

I guess AI could be invited as well.
Satellite of Love
quote:

Midland, Billings Montana and North Dakota.
Flaith
AG
hey OP, **** you too
brotheraggie
quote:
Great Post !! Whoop!!
IrishTxAggie
AG
I managed chicken farms right out of college before getting into sales and marketing. I did my time.
LostInLA07
AG
Getting quotes from plumbers today.

I should have been a plumber.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:

My aunt and uncle have owned a plumbing company since before I was born and they're rich as hell.
80s Guy
quote:
quote:

My aunt and uncle have owned a plumbing company since before I was born and they're rich as hell.
Good friend is a plumber that has an associates degree from TSTC. He has 10 employees, 5 trucks, and a fleet of equipment. He is loooooooooaaaaaaadddddddeeeeeddddd!!!!!!
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I will say this, though, I've spent many summers throughout high school and college working for them, and plumbing is hard ****ing work.
Beer Baron
AG

quote:
Good friend is a plumber that has an associates degree from TSTC. He has 10 employees, 5 trucks, and a fleet of equipment. He is loooooooooaaaaaaadddddddeeeeeddddd!!!!!!

Doesn't matter works with poop.
boboguitar
AG
quote:

quote:

Don't you gay guys like that sort of thing?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:

quote:

Almost all of the plumbing I did was new construction.
Tex117
AG
quote:
It's a good day to be a business bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.
Ha bro, its never good to be a bankruptcy lawyer in Houston.

Dallas on the other hand...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.