Sorry, not sorry, oilfield workers

33,119 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to vent a little here. I have a good amount of Facebook friends that work in the oilfield. As far as I know, none of them have been laid off yet, but I think some may have taken pay cuts. I am so damn tired of seeing posts almost every day where these entitled people or their girlfriends/wives are complaining about the industry and posting memes and the like with sayings like "hope you enjoy your cheap gas while oilfield families are hurting you cheap asses" or "Starbucks coffee costs $20 a gallon and nobody is complaining", as well as people sharing "pray for the oilfield" crap and predictions that the entire economy is going to collapse because oil is no longer $100 a barrel.

Here is my take, get over yourself you whiny *****es. I refuse to feel sorry for someone who knowingly took a job in an industry that for the last hundred years has been nothing but boom or bust, if you don't like it get a different job. When times are good, save. I do not feel sorry that you are having to sell your new $65,000 F250 or $400,000 house that you bought even though you have no education or savings. I don't care that your job is hard, I don't care that I wouldn't last a day in your shoes. I refuse to feel guilty that it now costs me $50 to fill up my truck when it used to cost $120. I am damn sure happy that I don't have to run down to Starbucks and fill my truck up with overpriced coffee once a week. Oh, and the economy is doing just fine, this isn't the 1980's, we have a diversified economy now and low fuel prices benefits almost everyone but those in the oil industry. So go on, call me a cold hearted cheap skate, I don't care.

That being said, I wish everyone well that has been laid off in finding new employment and don't wish harm on anyone.
histag10
AG
Yeah, my husband works in the oil field and I've never once done any of that. Seems like maybe all of your friends are roughnecks and have no concept of money or how to save.

On another note, maybe someday soon your industry will crash and we will see you *****ing about it.
AliasMan02
AG
Loldontcare
welborn
I agree completely with you OP.

AG
You are right, most of the ones posting this stuff are the uneducated high school friends. The professionals don't really post that kind of stuff.
welborn
I see it a ton where I live near bird pond road. $60000 trucks with lifts and all kinds of crap bolted to em with that signature "oil field trash making oil field cash" stickers going 80mph.

Good luck kid.
htownag10
AG
I got laid off last March. I knew it was coming. I would laugh at my fellow coworkers who were still out there spending money like it wasn't going to end when oil started dropping in August 2014. I know cheap gas hurts O&G but I don't complain when I pay $35 at the pump. I miss the friends I made and definitely the paychecks but quickly learned money isn't everything. In my short experience in the oil field these were the tips I learned.

1) If you can't pay for it in cash then don't buy it.
2) Save your money
3) Save your money
4) Post all your toys and brag on social media about how you make zillions of dollars.
5) Do you really need a 400k house?
A) Yes, if you post on TA
B) No, if you don't
Builder93
AG
This is similar in the construction industry. Before the last bust in 2008, I was warning the young (college educated) guys about the dangers of complacency. They didn't want to hear it. Then boom, 80% of the company got laid off in 6 months time. They couldn't trade those nice trucks in fast enough. I guess you have to live through it a few times to realize that things can go south faster than you ever thought.
Human
AG
Reason #39 I'm not on Facebook
Frederick Palowaski
AG
IrishTxAggie
AG
Y'all should check out the Houston We Have A Problem thread on the B&I board... Also, agreed with OP. I do not wish ill on people or hope for people to lose their jobs, however, I do not pity the people that blew through all that money. Low oil prices are an economic gain for the country as a whole.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Lots of Ford Raptors getting repo-ed.
Human
AG
My crystal ball sees a housing bubble popping in Texas.

It's going to be a buyers market in one year.
IrishTxAggie
AG
And full-size 4x4 Platinums...
IrishTxAggie
AG
Houston more than Texas as a whole. Houston is more diverse economically now, but the oil prices are what was driving the housing prices here. It's already starting to show.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I used to rely pretty heavily on the oil boom while it was going, and it sucks that it's over, but we were smart enough to realize it wouldn't last forever, and our business is diversified enough that we can make money in other ways that aren't dependent on the oil business, plus I save a lot of money. Moreso than oil prices, though, I really, really wish steel prices would go back up, that one really hurts. So please pray for steel prices.
EFE
AG
quote:

That's some handy info
Builder93
AG
quote:
I used to rely pretty heavily on the oil boom while it was going, and it sucks that it's over, but we were smart enough to realize it wouldn't last forever, and our business is diversified enough that we can make money in other ways that aren't dependent on the oil business, plus I save a lot of money. Moreso than oil prices, though, I really, really wish steel prices would go back up, that one really hurts. So please pray for steel prices.
I love those steel prices....
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

Depends on where you are.
bmc13
AG
keep on crashing, copper
Human
AG
quote:
quote:

Depends on where you are.

ODESSA/Midland

South Texas(not the RGV)/ So. San Antonio

West Houston / Katy

North Houston / Spring

IrishTxAggie
AG
Plumber?
Builder93
AG
quote:
Plumber?
you've never seen an out of work plumber, have you?
Vernada
AG
quote:
Y'all should check out the Houston We Have A Problem thread on the B&I board... Also, agreed with OP. I do not wish ill on people or hope for people to lose their jobs, however, I do not pity the people that blew through all that money. Low oil prices are an economic gain for the country as a whole.
Except that this time that has not been the case.
Human
AG
quote:
quote:
Plumber?
you've never seen an out of work plumber, have you?

Yes

They didn't pass their drug testing
IrishTxAggie
AG
Care to explain how it isn't?
Sweet Clementine
AG
Agree with the OP. The rest of us suffered when the economy tanked and we were paying $3/gallon for gas. These things are cyclical and everyone takes a turn taking a hit.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Nope. I worked plumbing and A/C throughout all of college. Business was always booming...
Post removed:
by user
MouthBQ98
AG
I got laid off from an O&G job. I don't even use facebook, and all my vehicles are 2004 or older with 180,000 or more miles. I live in a modest home, and save my money.

Yeah, the stereotypes exist for a reason, because many of the hands and crews were getting paid ludicrous money for a skilled type job, but not one requiring much education versus experience, and they of course do tend to assume that the good times will last forever.

On the bright side, used oversized custom truck rims and tires, side by sides with all the options, and wakeboard boats should be getting pretty cheap on Craigslist.
MouthBQ98
AG
The oil boom is virtually the ONLY reason the US economy showed substantial growth and recovery after the 2008-2009 crash. Now that we've lost that source of job growth, construction growth, and economic activity, the US economy will start to show signs of slower growth. The cheaper fuel will help offset this, of course, but overall I am not sure it is a good thing when the world's largest producer of O&G (and we were, for a while) has the price of their product slashed by 2/3.

That being said, it was almost inevitable. We dumped supply on the market, and showed we could continue to do so at will if the price was even remotely profitable. Anything north of $60/BBL and we fire it right back up.
Furlock Bones
AG
the rest of you suffered by having the energy boom prop up the economy? LOL.
Gerald Tarrant
I sure am glad that I'm working in an industry like tech where I'm immune to industry downturns
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Agree with the OP. The rest of us suffered when the economy tanked and we were paying $3/gallon for gas. These things are cyclical and everyone takes a turn taking a hit.
This is why I'm opening a combination hoar house/funeral home. Demand never changes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.