I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

309,666 Views | 5618 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by UAS Ag
bobbranco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

texsn95 said:

Teslag said:

Why would you spend $80k on a Tesla instead of $40k?

Why the **** do you care so much?

Becaus it's a message board he obviously didn't know how much they really cost. Just repeating the same tired Teslas are expensive trope.

Wrong. Again. And. Again.

Model X.

*Price before incentives and savings is $77,990, excluding taxes and fees. Subject to change.

And their best selling models are all below the national new car average.

It doesn't hurt to do a little research on this topic.
I did. Price can be about $80k.
Quit your equivocation.
A freaking truck can be over $80k as well. A lambo can be $500k. Why is any of that relevant?

A used car can cost $9,542. It's a choice. Maybe somebody wanted an $80k car not the $9,542 used car. Not the point.
bobbranco
AG
Medaggie said:

Thanks Anti EVers, you have made my life better. I understand now why EVs are never a good option. Just sold my MY and went to pick up my new 75K BMW X5. Only took me 2 hrs waiting for the sales guy, then the manager Guido came after pushing me to buy about 10K add ons. Something like paint protection, extended warranty, Better wheels/tires, some headliner upgrade. I really didn't understand but its OK, only 10K more.

So out the door for only 85K and 3 hours.

But my life is now better getting away from the Model Y. I just saved 60 minutes a year that I typically use at Superchargers. So what when I ordered my Model Y, it took me 10 minutes to drive off after spending 15 minutes clicking about 5 options knowing the exact price.
Taking this to the next level of serious business.
Medaggie
Stop questioning the Anti EVers. Nothing matters. It is just bad for everyone. Get with the program.
agent-maroon
AG
Some people can do sarcasm to great effect. But others... not so much
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Teslag
AG
bobbranco said:

MaxPower said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

texsn95 said:

Teslag said:

Becaus it's a message board he obviously didn't know how much they really cost. Just repeating the same tired Teslas are expensive trope.

Model X.

*Price before incentives and savings is $77,990, excluding taxes and fees. Subject to change.

Quit your equivocation.
A freaking truck can be over $80k as well. A lambo can be $500k. Why is any of that relevant?

A used car can cost $9,542. It's a choice. Maybe somebody wanted an $80k car not the $9,542 used car. Not the point.

We know full what the point was. That Teslas are still expensive cars. He had no idea they weren't. It's been a running trope since this thread started.
bobbranco
AG
Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

MaxPower said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

texsn95 said:

Teslag said:

Model X.

Quit your equivocation.

We know full what the point was. That Teslas are still expensive cars. He had no idea they weren't. It's been a running trope since this thread started.
Maybe he did not want the lower end and lower quality model.

Did you forget there is a range of price or do you want to only argue? I believe it is the latter. Have a great day.
MaxPower
I think the basic disconnect is the frequency that superchargers are relevant. I've owned a Tesla for two years and literally never used one and never gotten close to running out of charge. However, a) I can charge with a 230v outlet at roughly 10 miles of range an hour and b) my wife has an ICE for any longer trips I or the family need to make. If I didn't have a) and b) then I wouldn't own one. It's the perfect second car for a family that lives in a house (or apartment that has charging solutions). It can work for other scenarios but it's definitely a pain if you go on long road trips or maybe have a job where you are on the road all day.

Long story short, it works for more situations than one might believe but there's definitely cons that won't work for some people.
bobbranco
AG
agent-maroon said:

Some people can do sarcasm to great effect. But others... not so much
Yes. The sarcasm is poorly conveyed.
Teslag
AG
I don't think I would even own a Tesla if we had to be a one car family
MaxPower
Teslag said:

I don't think I would even own a Tesla if we had to be a one car family
I'd add the caveat that"with today's technology". I suspect the charging speed will become irrelevant in the next 5 years. Once you get to 20-80% in <15 min for a 300+ mile range car it won't really matter much. An ICE would still be better for road trips but it wouldn't be such a massive difference that most people would have it at the top of their concerns when making a buying decision.
WolfCall
AG
Motion sickness a real issue to some EV drivers and passengers. Anyone experience this?

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/motion-sickness-electric-cars/
Quote:

'I need a solution fast': Electric car owners complain of motion sickness

Here's why electric cars might make you more carsick than conventional vehicles and some strategies you can use to fix it.
by Zane Dobie

With it beginning to look like an electric-only future, you might soon find yourself in an electric vehicle, wondering why you're feeling much more carsick than when riding in an internal combustion car (ICE).

It's slowly become one of the most popular questions on Reddit in the EV and Tesla threads: "Why do electric cars make me feel sick?". One user even said they questioned buying a Tesla Model Y because of it.

https://theconversation.com/how-electric-and-automated-cars-are-aggravating-motion-sickness-204790
Quote:

How electric and automated cars are aggravating motion sickness
Published: May 3, 2023 1:16pm EDT

.....Vehicle electrification: fewer landmarks and more sudden movements
By nature, an electric motor is more linear and quiet than a combustion engine. This advantage has the downside of preventing certain car users from assimilating the movement of the vehicle. For example, whereas we would associate acceleration with the engine revving in classic cars, electric cars suddenly deprive us of this reference point. Also gone are the combustion engine's vibrations, which some perceive as soothing.

The use of regenerative braking, which captures the kinetic energy from braking and converts it into the electrical power that charges the vehicle's high voltage battery, can also upset passengers' balance. The decelerations induced by this system are usually low frequency, which is typical of a sickness-inducing motion force.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/why-electric-vehicles-are-causing-motion-sickness-in-drivers-passengers/ar-BB1mm77u
Quote:

Why electric vehicles are causing motion sickness in drivers, passengers

An oft-touted advantage of owning an electric vehicle is one-pedal driving, when drivers can slow down a vehicle simply by lifting off the throttle.

But as more Americans swap their gas-powered cars and trucks for an EV, some are also realizing there are drawbacks to the one-pedal lifestyle.

"It can cause some people to get sick," John Voelcker, a former editor of Green Car Reports and a contributing editor at Car and Driver, told ABC News. "Strong regenerative braking, which recaptures max energy, can cause motion sickness. There is a learning curve to lifting off the accelerator in an EV ... you have to modulate it."
UAS Ag
Teslag said:

Every EV owner on this board touts their negatives, of which there are quite a few. None to my knowledge support the mandates. We don't think they are for everyone. We think they will never replace ICE vehicles in totally. But we do like them and will no doubt correct some incorrect things by non owners.

None of that is obsessive or evangelical.
There are some on here that hand wave away EVERY negative.

And also a number on here that think ICE are going the way of the Dodo quite soon.
Bubblez
UAS Ag said:

Teslag said:

Every EV owner on this board touts their negatives, of which there are quite a few. None to my knowledge support the mandates. We don't think they are for everyone. We think they will never replace ICE vehicles in totally. But we do like them and will no doubt correct some incorrect things by non owners.

None of that is obsessive or evangelical.
There are some on here that hand wave away EVERY negative.

And also a number on here that think ICE are going the way of the Dodo quite soon.
Those negatives usually get presented as overly broad, or are subjective in themselves. Is stopping at an L3 rapid charger on a long road trip for 20-30 minutes that big of a burden? Yes, its not as quick as filling up with gas, but people are usually doing more than that. I'm lucky to get out of Buc-ee's in 20-30 minutes. Do the vast majority of people really have 150 mile commutes uphill each way to make the daily driver use case untenable. Do households just have one vehicle?

Certainly there are shortcomings, but the bread and butter case of a daily driver commuting from a place where you can reliably charge overnight is pretty solid.
Build It
AG

"And also a number on here that think ICE are going the way of the Dodo quite soon."

I've followed this thread from the beginning. I can't name a single poster who thinks ICE is disappearing anytime soon. Can you?
fullback44
AG
coconutED said:

Blue cities: all in on "green" agenda + zero enforcement of petty crime = ...

When is the last time thugs stole the gas pump hose ?
Medaggie
No reason to put some common sense in this thread. I have said the same many times over but now convinced by the EVers that I was wrong.

So what I average 35K miles/yr driving and use a supercharger about 3 times a year for about 60 minutes. Nothing else matters because I am wasting that previous 60 minutes. Who cares that I would have spent 5+ hours at gas stations.

Just move on, there is no place for EVs ever in this world. Don't believe tech and charging advancements will happen. Lets just put our heads in the sand and praise ICE vehicles.
Medaggie
No need to actually read. The Anti Ev-ers just put words they hear on reddit/facebook or whatever media they blindly follow. I hear posters on here who are positive on Evs accused of things that they never said but who cares about actually reading and getting educated.
Kansas Kid
There was a bunch of them vandalized in 2021 and 2022 like this one.

UAS Ag
Build It said:

"And also a number on here that think ICE are going the way of the Dodo quite soon."

I've followed this thread from the beginning. I can't name a single poster who thinks ICE is disappearing anytime soon. Can you?

There's been at least 2 posters on here that have said that.

Thread is too long to go back and dig out the posts, though...
First Page Refresh
Page 161 of 161

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.