where did dirks post go?

13,484 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Lance Uppercut
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Almost did it last year...

FIFY
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
We can overcome 1 player.

Pretty hard to overcome losing your Friday night starter, if the rumor is true.

Did it last year...

If your goal is to make a super, I guess you are right...
AB2
AG
Because starting pitching was the reason we bowed out in the Supers last year...
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Because starting pitching was the reason we bowed out in the Supers last year...

Except we got a starter back even if raw and not fully healthy for that series. Also, this loss may have an effect on the bullpen, so it's not just "starting pitching" that is affected by the rumored loss
AB2
AG
Being way too literal here.

Yes, losing a quality arm sucks. You have to replace it somewhere.

This team has depth. I think we'll be okay
PoliSciAg16
AG
Just not a smart move for an individual who has great potential. The baseball team will be fine because of depth though. Like my grandfather always said, "if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes", and unfortunately, this player won that prize.
Gabe Bock
AG
quote:
quote:
Hey guys...we are aware of a situation going on with a player on the team but - out of respect for the player and the A&M staff - we are going to let the process play out and give Rob and A&M a chance to release the specifics when they feel necessary. Friday is the first day of practice and I expect a release to come at any moment between now and then.

Please try to respect the sensitive situation by letting it come out officially before including any specific names. Thanks for understanding.

That sounds all too familiar ... " we're not reporting this outta respect" ... " it's been on my desk for hours"

Right...because "hundreds" of posters know but a guy who has covered the team daily for a decade has no clue what's going on. I was asked to hold it and I'm holding it until further notice.
Gabe Bock
AG
Ecker and Hendrix will be in the pen and so will Vinson and Hill. I've been told the plan is to go with Vinson and Hill as the bridge between starter and back end and use Ecker and Hendrix on alternate days...even for 6-out saves if needed. And if one gets in trouble, the other is there waiting in the wings.

The bullpen will be THE strength of the team in 2016.
STX Ag
AG
quote:
I was asked to hold it and I'm holding it until further notice.

Except that you went ahead and told us you knew.
Sea Gull
AG
The bullpen was THE strength last year, until two starters went down. They got worn down towards the end of the year because of the injuries to Stubbs and Minter.
dirkjones
AG
quote:
Just not a smart move for an individual who has great potential. The baseball team will be fine because of depth though. Like my grandfather always said, "if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes", and unfortunately, this player won that prize.
Really dumb move, especially since he was suspended in the fall for the same reasons. Total let down to his team, school and coach.
Gabe Bock
AG
quote:
quote:

And that is above board journalistically and still keeping integrity and all the while allowing the process to play out officially, per requests from my sources. Nothing wrong with that.
Rocco S
So what could he have done that's so bad that warrants this? We couldn't give him a 10 game suspension or something, along with some other discipline routines?
trouble
AG
He's had chances.

At some point, there has to be a harsher consequence for repeating the same offense.
75AG
AG
quote:
So what could he have done that's so bad that warrants this? We couldn't give him a 10 game suspension or something, along with some other discipline routines?
Maybe he's had multiple chances?
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
Maybe he's had multiple chances?
As far as I know he hasn't been arrested or doing anything illegal. I assume we'd have heard about it. It doesn't sound like it's academic related. If he's dismissed the nobody in the AD is going to say what for.
STX Ag
AG
It was a joke Gabe. I gave you the winky face.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:

And that is above board journalistically and still keeping integrity and all the while allowing the process to play out officially, per requests from my sources. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's as much you Gabe, I think it's more posters taking a crack at Looch's style of posting (where pretty much any news that ever breaks anywhere but Texags he implies that he knew but was holding onto it for whatever reason).

I'm sure in most cases that's true... It's probable that in a few cases it's really not true... But either way, letting a crowd (many of whom are paying you for info) know that you knew something but didn't tell them starts to come off as just feeding your own ego publicly. If the news leaks out before Texags has a chance to "break" it, then just let it be. It's like FoxSports releasing comments to the public that they had XXX Story before ESPN but chose to sit on it. We care about the news, not about who had the news first.

Again, you don't really do it, but it's the vibe around here sometimes when you see some posters lash out.
Rocco S
This site has to walk a fine line between being the first to break news and yet not pissing off anyone at A&M. It's a tough line to walk and one that they were rumored to have tripped up on pretty bad within the past few months.
Clown Question

quote:
This site has to walk a fine line between being the first to break news and yet not pissing off anyone at A&M. It's a tough line to walk and one that they were rumored to have tripped up on pretty bad within the past few months.

Exactly. What were they rumored to have tripped up on, though? If anything staff seems super cautious about posting anything compared to other sites which will throw anything out there.
Bocephus
AG
Two years in a row lost a Friday starter before the year started
dirkjones
AG
quote:
So what could he have done that's so bad that warrants this? We couldn't give him a 10 game suspension or something, along with some other discipline routines.
So how many chances would you give a player? For some reason, sometimes they just do not believe you when they are told no more. Will wait until Friday to see the official response, I would expect some softer story to loosen the blow. Similar to last year.
STX Ag
AG
quote:

quote:

Exactly. What were they rumored to have tripped up on, though? If anything staff seems super cautious about posting anything compared to other sites which will throw anything out there.

They didn't poo poo the handling of the QB situation and it didn't do them any favors with the people who hold the information.
mhayden
quote:

Agreed and I think this site does a great job in doing that. Texags has the access it does because of the way they handle things like this and I think that is a very good thing.

But if you are going to run a site that holds itself to that high standard, then don't try and have it both ways by also always commenting "well we knew for hours" or "well we knew before this site broke it but...".

Not only does it give some posters ammunition ("Hey, I'm paying you for info you are holding back?") but it also just comes off as childish towards websites that Texags really doesn't need to compare themselves to.

Kinda the whole "act like you've been there before" thing.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
So what could he have done that's so bad that warrants this? We couldn't give him a 10 game suspension or something, along with some other discipline routines.
So how many chances would you give a player? For some reason, sometimes they just do not believe you when they are told no more. Will wait until Friday to see the official response, I would expect some softer story to loosen the blow. Similar to last year.
I'm not questioning the decision to let him go, although my question may have read like that. I just want to know what he did. We haven't heard that he was arrested for anything
MMantle
AG
Rob lays down the rules at the beginning, if you break them, you're gone.

Wish Sumlin had the same approach.

RR
Bocephus
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm not questioning the decision to let him go, although my question may have read like that. I just want to know what he did. We haven't heard that he was arrested for anything

Dirty UA
Spotted Ag
AG
Don't be surprised to see an additional dismissal
2006EE
AG
quote:
So two people are gone?
75AG
AG
quote:
Can you provide some details?
Spotted Ag
AG
Unfortunately, no, I can not provide details. My info is based on what I was told by someone who has been 100% accurate in reference to Aggie athletics
trouble
Gabe Bock
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, no, I can not provide details. My info is based on what I was told by someone who has been 100% accurate in reference to Aggie athletics
If it's about an academic eligibility issue, I've been told that the issue has been 100% cleared up and was not the fault of the player, who makes great grades. I don't believe there to be a second issue. I chased down a rumor that turned out to have a valid explanation and appears to be all good.
trouble
AG
I haven't been able to find anything on a second issue either.
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
If it's about an academic eligibility issue, I've been told that the issue has been 100% cleared up and was not the fault of the player, who makes great grades. I don't believe there to be a second issue. I chased down a rumor that turned out to have a valid explanation and appears to be all good.
If that's the case, good deal. I wasn't told what type of issue was going on. I hope it was indeed the academic issue Gabe mentioned.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.