Would you trade seasons with Arkansas?

7,623 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Faustus
LeFraud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Only on texags is winning the cotton bowl better than losing a bcs bowl
Or is making the sweet 16 as a #3 seed better than making the final four
Or is winning 50 games better than making the cws

Where's that list of delusional fan bases?
Clearly your are missing the point. You wouldn't ever make a BCS bowl over a team in your division that has a worse record and Omaha has 8 teams, not 4. May want to work on your comparisons, bud.

The comparisons weren't the point...
jja79
AG
quote:
For those who say Ark because of Omaha what if we went say 54-12 (26-3), won the SEC, received a #2 national seed, but went 0-2 in the supers. Does that change anything?
Are you kidding? Eric Hyman loves you guys.

We beat Holy Cross, Penn State, Dartmouth, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word and teams like that to build up the WL record.

We won one, split one and lost three of the last five SEC series.

Hyman loves the expectations here.
_mpaul
AG
quote:
Is this a joke? Getting to the CWS is a stat everyone talks about. Getting to game three of the supers isn't on anybody's radar.
Sounds to me like your opinion is more a function of what everyone else thinks about the circumstances rather than the circumstances themselves.
_mpaul
AG
quote:
quote:
For those who say Ark because of Omaha what if we went say 54-12 (26-3), won the SEC, received a #2 national seed, but went 0-2 in the supers. Does that change anything?

We beat Holy Cross, Penn State, Dartmouth, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word and teams like that to build up the WL record.

Hey, 2 weeks ago everyone was *****ing that we got jobbed out of a national seed, so it can't be that bad, right?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

That was Vandy's season 2 years ago right before the won a national title then returned to Omaha again (may win another title).
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
That was Vandy's season 2 years ago right before the won a national title then returned to Omaha again (may win another title).
And over that period, as well, everyone has been making a ruckus about our 1) never getting a national seed and 2)never winning any games at Omaha.

A&M was a lot closer to a national seed this season and Arkansas didn't win anything in Omaha.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey, 2 weeks ago everyone was *****ing that we got jobbed out of a national seed, so it can't be that bad, right?

Our resume was still better than some of the teams that got one, and we were complaining about the PC nature of it. Teams with lesser resumes were given a national seed because they didn't want too many SEC teams.

The point here is that we were a national seed lock up until late in the year. We weren't even talking about whether or not we would be one, we were talking about whether or not we would be the number one. We went from being the likely #1 overall to not even in the top 8 fairly quickly. Be it from the team losing focus, or whatever, this isn't the first time this has happened under RC.

While I'm not screaming for him to be fired, he absolutely needs to take a long hard look at how he prepares his team's to play top level competition in the regular season and how he prepares them for the post season, because the approach he has been taking for the entire decade he's been here has been ****ing terrible.
jja79
AG
You guys just keep on being satisfied with being an also ran because that's what we are.

When do you have expectations? After 12 years? 15? 20?
Sandman98
AG
There is only one champion. Getting to Omaha is only a big deal because it's a destination tournament with history and it's on TV. It's the elite 8.

Getting there and losing twice is not at all evidence that another program is in better shape than ours. If you need ammo at the water cooler because you get owned by rivals, I understand why you want to wear an Omaha participation t-shirt.

Getting there is not the goal. Those who think it is are the ones who's expectations have been managed.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
You guys just keep on being satisfied with being an also ran because that's what we are.

I had expectations from Day 1, but whether we are fulfilling my expectations is only tangential with how I would compare A&M and Arkansas.
W
AG
let's run this question again if LSU goes 2 & Q today.

the huge difference between Arkansas' and LSU's seasons...is that the Tigers won the SEC regular season championship. That's a very significant difference
twk
AG
quote:

Great, another thread derail. If you want to ***** about Childress's record, start another thread.
Frisco - Ag
AG
yes. CWS.
tjack16
AG
If Arkansas had won at least a game in the CWS I would say yes, but I wouldn't want their season with an 0-2 finish
94chem
I'd rather have my pitching in order at the end of every season, so that regardless of how far we make it, we know that we have a chance (like we've seen with Rice, Oregon State, t.u., TCU, Vandy). Arkansas had a nice run, and Van Horn is one of those guys like Gary Ward. They just find a way to win post-season games.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I'd rather have my pitching in order at the end of every season, so that regardless of how far we make it, we know that we have a chance (like we've seen with Rice, Oregon State, t.u., TCU, Vandy). Arkansas had a nice run, and Van Horn is one of those guys like Gary Ward. They just find a way to win post-season games.
As injured as our pitching was, it was as good as ever in the postseason. We got a great starts of out of Long (1 good, 1 bad), Kent (3!), & Stub (2). Then our pen outside of Vinson was pretty much nails with Hendrix leading the way.
TMartin
Would you rather be the Seahawks or the Packers?
TAMU1990
AG
Yes - it's all about getting to Omaha and making some noise. At least Arkansas can sell their appearances to recruits and say we are just missing you to make a run at Omaha.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Would you rather be the Seahawks or the Packers?

Since their goals are the same, they both failed.
Luke The Drifter
AG

quote:

Do you know what also ran means?

Texas Tech is an also ran. Kansas is an also ran. Memphis is an also ran. Wake Forest is an also ran. Washington State is an also ran. New Mexico is also ran. Ohio State is an also ran.

Texas A&M is nowhere near that category. I am by no means satisfied with where our program is situated 10 years after RC took over, but to say we are an also ran is ridiculous. Should we be better? Heck yea...lots better. But to call us an also ran (like Baylor has quickly become) is grossly inaccurate.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
JeffHamilton82
quote:
Yes - it's all about getting to Omaha and making some noise.

The only noise Arkansas made was whatever sound BBQ makes on a grill.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Yes - it's all about getting to Omaha and making some noise. At least Arkansas can sell their appearances to recruits and say we are just missing you to make a run at Omaha.

I bet if I look hard enough I'll find posts where you hold RC's two CWS losses against him. What do you think?
Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
People saying they wouldn't trade are dumb.

They made the CWS .. That is every teams number one goal.

The #1 goal is to win the CWS.

So how the hell you gonna win it when you don't even get there.

Arkansas advanced to the CWS.
We did not
Id take that in a heartbeat
Sandman98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
People saying they wouldn't trade are dumb.

They made the CWS .. That is every teams number one goal.

The #1 goal is to win the CWS.

Arkansas advanced to the CWS.
We did not
Id take that in a heartbeat

This debate is about what we already know. If the question was asked the day before the CWS started, we'd all agree that we'd rather be in their position. Now they are just like every other team that didn't win a trophy.
JeffHamilton82
quote:

They didn't win it. THEY DIDN'T EVEN WIN ONE GAME! The discussion is about a known outcome. For me and a lot of people their 1 extra win in a Super regional, given the circumstances, doesn't trump what we did for an entire season.

It's not that I don't want my team to go to Omaha. It is that going to Omaha isn't my ultimate goal. Winning it all is. So I give Arkansas credit for going to Omaha; otherwise they wouldn't even have anything worth comparing to our season, but going 0-2 in Omaha isn't enough to trump our season. We had 10 more wins and 11 fewer losses. They had the fortune of winning 1 more Super regional game against a worst squad and played them at home whereas we got screwed and had to play on the road and lost by 1 run in the 16th inning. I consider everything when making the comparison, not just the 1 more win in a super regional that they had.

Did you get a special t-shirt printed when we went to Omaha in 2011? Does it hang above your bed?
merc
AG
Why does everyone have to get so damn toxic.
jt16
AG
This is why some people make fun of Ags. We give so much ammunition. Please do us all a favor and don't tell anyone else you'd rather trade seasons with Arkansas.
TAMU1990
AG
No Sandman, I am more pissed about not going at all. TCU 3 in 6 years; Arkansas 4th appearance under Van Horn.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
This is why some people make fun of Ags. We give so much ammunition. Please do us all a favor and don't tell anyone else you'd rather not trade seasons with Arkansas.

FIFY.

So close. Would have been solid smack. I won't tell anyone so you aren't subject to any Aggie jokes.

jt16
AG
quote:
quote:
This is why some people make fun of Ags. We give so much ammunition. Please do us all a favor and don't tell anyone else you'd rather not trade seasons with Arkansas.

FIFY.

So close. Would have been solid smack. I won't tell anyone so you aren't subject to any Aggie jokes.

I'm sure UCLA has a bunch of guys going around bragging about their year this year. Hell, some Ags would probably print shirts saying "we're #1" if we got the 1 seed and went nowhere.
Sandman98
AG
Aren't you going to edit your post so nobody is confused?

Side note, nobody on this thread is celebrating anything. You're the one who is insinuating that Arkansas won something.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
No Sandman, I am more pissed about not going at all. TCU 3 in 6 years; Arkansas 4th appearance under Van Horn.

I know. You're sweating that recruiting bounce they might get too. If only we could steal a freshman all-American player from one of these CWS regulars. Maybe one day kids will want to play at A&M. I'm sure those 4 top 8 rounders including two first round picks who signed with us had only an A&M offer to choose from.

We're probably doomed. Good to see you around here again though. We missed you when things were going really well.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Surprised at how many people are answering "no". As far as the Texags discussion goes, if we went to Omaha and went 0-2 and lost 10+ more games along the way, I think we'd be having a lot of the same discussions. Quoted the above because looking back, I don't think Arkansas was a 1 seed in any of their last 3 CWS appearances. Pretty crazy.

I'd rather keep our regular season and trade them the chance to host a super you didn't earn, as long as we're thinking up scenarios.

This is one more chance to shake my head thinking about what we'd have to do to set ourselves up to host twice as a national seed...playing in a conference where our side has CWS appearances from Ole Miss (2014), Miss. St (2013), Arkansas (2012, 2015) and LSU (2013, 2015) and the possibility of facing Florida (2011, 2012, 2015), South Carolina (2011, 2012) and Vanderbilt (2011,2014, 2015)...just in the past 5 years. With those teams, and you basically have to win the conference to be guaranteed a Top 8 spot.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
I'd rather keep our regular season and trade them the chance to host a super you didn't earn, as long as we're thinking up scenarios.

This is what I've been saying. You have to consider circumstance before saying you'd trade for their season straight up. They hosted a mid major to get to Omaha after winning a fairly easy regional hosted by a decent Big 12 team (Cal is a better baseball team than OkST).

Again, I would have loved to have their circumstances, but I'm not willing to say their appearance and quick exit in Omaha makes me jealous.
jt16
AG
This is so weird. It's baseball. You're given a tournament format that very clearly defines who had the better season. This isn't football with a whole bunch of one time bowl games that leaves open the debate of "who was better?". At the beginning of every season, every single ball club has OMAHA written in the clubhouse. Get to Omaha, the Mecca of college baseball. Everything else is a failure. Nobody writes 50 wins or Supers up on the wall. Because in baseball, just like in basketball, how you get there doesn't matter. When we were in Omaha in 1999, I had a couple friends play in that team. Lots of those guys still have jars of dirt from the infield. It's a dream come true. I'm certain every ball player at a&m would rather lose in Omaha, then never get there. It's like we don't know what matters in this sport. The fact we are even having this debate seems strange to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.